Coronavirus Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
And just to follow up, local urgent-care clinics are refusing to even administer the test unless I say I have ALL the symptoms on the list.

And just to follow up, local urgent-care clinics are refusing to even administer the test unless I say I have ALL the symptoms on the list.
Does Texas not have other places to test besides Urgent Care? Colorado is sucking at testing capacity, but even we have testing sites peppered all over. Then again, the CO government is at least *pretending* to care, which is more than I can say for Texas.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Does Texas not have other places to test besides Urgent Care? Colorado is sucking at testing capacity, but even we have testing sites peppered all over. Then again, the CO government is at least *pretending to care, which is more than I can say for Texas.
One of our executives sent out a link for free testing that is happening on campus, but the link then immediately asks for your University ID number. As I am not a student or faculty member, I don't have one, and am ineligible. I'll try finding another place tomorrow when things start opening up.

My medical situation is slightly inconvenient because my GP doc closed down a few years ago and I never bothered to find a new one.

And yeah, our Governor literally just went on TV a day or two ago saying "Yes, things are worse than ever, but we're not going to shut down again. No way no how."

On the other hand, here in Virginia, they've advertised free on-demand testing at the doctors offices in the closest larger town to me, several days over the last two weeks. Guess that's why our numbers are lower (though certainly not 'low')

Speaking of COVID idiocy, and now that I know someone else from this forum grew up in Weld County...

They didn't submit a mitigation plan, and are probably just going to continue to ignore state health orders anyways, but JFC.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well that's just fucking stupid. Here in Nebraska you can get one for most any reason.
Supposedly there are some kiosks set up on campus that are just open to the public for free testing. I'm going to try one of those tomorrow.

1605840654225.png

My wife didn’t have a fever, pretty much just congestion. Those self assessments don’t mean much, it’s more to help with the testing backlog. Which, after 8 months in you’d think wouldn’t be an issue any more, but here we are.

Also, was listening to a podcast yesterday. They talked about how our 250,000 death count was most likely conservative, and we’re probably closer to 300,000, which I’m sure everyone here knows.
That also brought up the point that point that with this latest surge, and the holidays coming up, we may beat the death toll of the 1918 flu. Which in the US was I think around 600,000.
That makes me incredibly sad. 100 years later. All that medical progress. All that knowledge. None of it means anything. All because people are too selfish.

All because people are too selfish.
They deliberately chose to do nothing, thinking they could harness chaos to serve their desires. This is a real-life example of the stereotypical movie character who starts a fire in his rival’s hay barn but then dies before he can escape, and the fire then takes out half the town.
our 250,000 death count was most likely conservative, and we’re probably closer to 300,000, which I’m sure everyone here knows.
We’re closing in on 325000 deaths. Once we cross that number, that’ll mean in 2020 we’ll have had one death per thousand JUST from COVID-19. Think about that.

--Patrick

I know Rachel Maddow isn't everyone's favorite, but if anyone is still on the fence about Thanksgiving plans, please watch this video and take the message to heart:

I'm just going to copy/past this one verbatim. Keep in mind, largest school district in the state.
November 20, 2020
Hello Mesa Public Schools community,
Community metrics for COVID-19 continue to move in the wrong direction. I am deeply concerned that we will not be able to keep our schools open if this trend continues. The education of our children must be a top priority in our community.
On Nov. 19, Dr. Cara Christ, director of Arizona Department of Health Services, issued an emergency measure to slow the spread of COVID-19 in schools. The measure, which was effective immediately, requires masks on school campuses, on school buses, during school-associated activities and while participating in or observing and school-associated athletic activities, by all students, faculty, staff, contractors and visitors. Exceptions are allowed if:
  • Students are outside and physically distanced or taking a mask break in a safe environment.
  • Students are engaged in high intensity activities and the mask causes difficulty breathing.
  • A child is under the age of two or the individual has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or unable to remove a mask without assistance.
All district schools and departments must be in full compliance.
We closely monitor the COVID-19 metrics across the district and in each school community, and post the data weekly on a dashboard. As of today, we have taken action at two schools based on this data. Mesa High School is using a two-day modified in-person learning model and Sousa Elementary is using a fully remote learning model. Each decision was based on the unique circumstances at that school. In addition to the number of cases, factors that were taken into account include:
  • Are the cases related to a particular program or classroom?
  • Do we see any trends in the positive cases?
  • Have additional mitigation strategies been implemented? Were they successful?
  • Guidance from the Maricopa County Department of Public Health
  • The number of students quarantined
  • Absenteeism of students and staff
  • The impact on student learning
Remember Monday, November 30, will be an asynchronous, or self-guided, remote learning day for all students and a remote work day to the extent possible for employees. On that day, students will remain home and complete assignments provided by their teachers in Canvas. Teachers will spend the day in professional learning, collaborating with their team and planning lessons for the remainder of the semester. They will not be providing direct instruction. Other employees will work their regular job assignment, receive professional development and support student needs.
Here are some additional details about Nov. 30:
  • Attendance will be recorded based on student activity in Canvas.
  • All in-person extracurricular activities are canceled unless the team is in a state-level tournament.
  • Meals will be available for pick up at district junior high and high schools. Students do not need to be present. Please see the schedule.
  • On-site centers will be available at every school for students needing a safe place to complete their remote learning. You received registration information from your school. Transportation will not be provided.
  • Xplore will be open before and after school hours on Xplore campuses for students who are registered.
  • EVIT students will be remote or may provide their own transportation to the EVIT campus.
Please follow the recommendations of health experts and CDC when planning your Thanksgiving. It is important families do not support social gatherings that circumvent cancellation of winter formals and other school-sponsored events due to the pandemic. If you are exposed to COVID-19 or develop symptoms, please get tested. If you haven’t done so, consider getting a flu shot. Employees, if you don’t feel well, stay home. Parents, if your child doesn't feel well, keep them home. Wear a mask, physical distance to the extent possible and wash your hands frequently.

We need your help to remain Safe.Strong.Ready.

Sincerely,

Dr. Andi Fourlis
Superintendent
(Safe Strong Ready is our "return to learning" mantra, by the way.)

Wow. Our school district had really strict hygiene and mask protocols and still only lasted a month and a half before the whole state got fucked and we're back to online only now. The fact that your school district opened without mandatory masks is gross.

That said, our governor still thinks schools should stay open, but because quarantine protocols for COVID in schools is so rigorous, most schools don't have enough non-quarantined staff left at this point. :p

We have mask mandates, no sports or other activities, no cafeterias, and now that 2 cases have made it into schools those schools are locked down for two weeks.

Our city just entered a targetted lockdown. Decreased crowd sizes all around and free testing for all restaurant staff.

Dave

Staff member
Two things from me this morning. First, today was D&D day. But the guy whose house we play at sent out a message that his roommate was sick and they were quarantining. He said that we could play somewhere else and I said naw. He believes in Covid, although he doesn't think it's that bad. Yes, he's a Trumper. There was more to that conversation, but I'll leave that out.

Next is from the Nebraska governor, Pete "The Enormous Human Thumb" Ricketts. In today's "No Fucking Shit" news, the guy who has not put any restrictions on bars & events and and done little to nothing about the pandemic while people get sick & die and the hospitals fill up...has finally seen the light. Probably has nothing to do with the fact that he and his wife were quarantined due to the disease.

Two things from me this morning. First, today was D&D day. But the guy whose house we play at sent out a message that his roommate was sick and they were quarantining. He said that we could play somewhere else and I said naw. He believes in Covid, although he doesn't think it's that bad. Yes, he's a Trumper. There was more to that conversation, but I'll leave that out.

Next is from the Nebraska governor, Pete "The Enormous Human Thumb" Ricketts. In today's "No Fucking Shit" news, the guy who has not put any restrictions on bars & events and and done little to nothing about the pandemic while people get sick & die and the hospitals fill up...has finally seen the light. Probably has nothing to do with the fact that he and his wife were quarantined due to the disease.

Could you guys D&D over Discord, or whichever service you prefer?

Well, crap.
I've had a persistent dry cough for a bit over a week.
Called the public health nurse/info line, just to ask if I should be leading worship in person tomorrow or not.
Give symptom.
"Oh, that's something we give a covid screening for, would you like to book an appointment? "
Fuck. I guess so.
So, I'm going in to get probed tomorrow afternoon.
Dammit.