Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
“Conspiracy theorists” try to get into Utah Valley Hospital ICU

" Hospital administrator Kyle Hansen told the Provo City Council this week that about five people, who he referred to as 'conspiracy theorists' have attempted to get inside because they question whether the ICU is as full as some say. "

“We have an inordinate amount of phone calls that we’re receiving every day from the community wanting to know, ‘Is your ICU really full?'”

"...stopping attempts to get into the hospital is taking away care from those who need it."

figmentPez

Staff member
Conspiracy theories I saw on FB today:
  • The vaccine will alter people's DNA.
  • The vaccine is extra scary because it has to be kept at low temperature.
Both are baseless, but I'm a little puzzled as to why it's terrifying that a vaccine would need to be kept at -80C.

In a similar vein via facebook, maybe I've been out of the loop but just found out that corona is getting activated by 5G towers...

figmentPez

Staff member
In a similar vein via facebook, maybe I've been out of the loop but just found out that corona is getting activated by 5G towers...
I heard about that one a while back. There are actual dangers involved with the rollout of 5G, why would people need to make up conspiracy theories? (Unless they're disinformation serving a dual purpose, both scaring irrational people away from the vaccine, and also making more rational people more likely to dismiss any other problems as also being fake...)

Speaking of doctors, after we were lectured at the dental school how the transmission of COVID to dental professionals was extraordinarily low, and how the only way we'd catch it is by acting inappropriately, one of our oral surgeons caught it and shut down the entire residency clinic until the end of the year.

the transmission of COVID to dental professionals was extraordinarily low, and how the only way we'd catch it is by acting inappropriately
That sounds counter-intuitive, considering you guys spend your days in front of gaping mouths, sticking your fingers into people's mucus membranes, and getting breathed on for like half an hour uninterrupted.

That sounds counter-intuitive, considering you guys spend your days in front of gaping mouths, sticking your fingers into people's mucus membranes, and getting breathed on for like half an hour uninterrupted.
Well the idea is we're wearing surgical gowns, gloves, an N95 mask, a level 3 mask over that, and if its an aerosol procedure, a face mask as well. But yeah, it still finds its way in.

Also 30 minutes, lol. Not in a dental school. Avg appointment lasts 3 hours

The Trump administration is actively urging people to defy public health measures.
They're trying to retroactively claim dead voters fraud. :p

My daughter still thinks I'm being unreasonable by not letting her do anything beyond going to school and doing a volunteer shift at the humane society. I feel like I'm already pushing things as it is, and I'm only doing it because I know both places actually take health protocol seriously. Today I pointed out that most people are dumbasses that I can't account for, and therefore I choose to avoid being around them. Maybe that will get my point across to her. :p

Dave

Staff member
A lady my wife works with called tonight. Her husband is positive. She hasn't been tested yet but now she can't come to work. Yay!

The Trump administration is actively urging people to defy public health measures.
I missed the actual announcement because it came at my quitting time, but yeah, looks like Michigan was like, "Oh, our Supreme Court is Dem now? Time to finally drop the hammer again."

round2fight.jpeg

I, for one, welcome our science-toting-and-respecting overlords.

--Patrick

I mean, people who aren't wearing a mask probably still won't with a mandate because they are assholes, and it probably won't be enforced anyways. At least this way maybe you'll see less dick-nosers.
(My feelings about this would be different if I thought enforcement was actually a thing that was happening)

Dave

Staff member
He wrote that, by the way, FROM QUARANTINE!!

He can't even follow the rules himself, how does he expect others? Sounds familiar. Huh.

Dave

Staff member
So to bolster the reporting from the New York Times I have bought a subscription. I love it. And today I found an article that is very interesting about how the military is dealing with the virus. The Marine Corps specifically.

For those who don't know it, when you first sign up for the military you stay overnight at a hotel then the next day you get taken to MEPS - the Military Entrance Processing Station. There you undergo a series of tests, get necessary shots, then take the oath that solidifies you as a recruit in whatever branch you are enlisting. (MEPS is not branch-specific.) Because of Covid, though, there's an extra step.

When you stay overnight at the hotel, you instead stay TWO FUCKING WEEKS! You are not allowed to leave the room or you're gone (or start the process over again). During that time you are livestreamed workout videos. Each room is two people. Think on that.

When they get to basic (or boot camp or whatever the branch calls it) masks are mandatory, distancing is enforced, as is sanitation like washing hands.

The military has had 777 infections out of 1.3 million people. 9 deaths. It's difficult but it works.

Not sure if the link I'm putting in will work or if you'll need a subscription, but it's a damned interesting read. (Note it's a multi-window slideshow, not an actual article.)