a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters

GasBandit

Staff member
Both sides have used violence. Why? Maybe the levels of hyperbolic rhetoric?
Because the country has never been so divided since the end of the Civil War, and both sides are a whisper away from openly accusing the other of treason.

At least, that's my two cents.

Both sides have used violence. Why? Maybe the levels of hyperbolic rhetoric?
Because politics in our country are fucked, and everything is to the level of "this is the most important thing in the world and anyone that doesn't agree 100% is the devil"

The "Britain First" movement is part of the whole "Brexit" campaign, regarding the UK's proposed exit from the European Union.

If I am reading it right from sources I have over in GB, this lady was a supporter of remaining in the EU.

Both sides have suspended their campaign for the moment. I'm not sure what that will mean for the decision.

I'll admit that I don't know the issue as well as some in Britain does... but they do understand that if Britain leaves the EU, it's essentially dooming the rest of the EU to collapse, right? Germany's not going to stick around if Britain isn't and the EU can't function without Germany's income or it's economic leadership. It would be a continent wide economic depression for years.

What exactly is Britain hoping to get out of this? Some domestic jobs returning to Britain workers? To cut immigration? They haven't exactly been doing too hot since the 80's.

Regardless, the EU is basically doomed to collapse anyway. The US works as a republic because we were founded as one... the EU is made up of dozens of countries with thousands of years of history that have their own national identities, languages, cultures, and issues. It's one thing for New York, California, and Texas to subsidize the Midwest and South because we're all ostensibly part of the same culture, but it's something entirely different for Germany and Britain to be doing the same for Greece. There is just no shared political or cultural connection between these countries to give them incentive to work through the issues.

The danger of a brexit is other small countries leaving and instability, the chances of Germany leaving are laughably small. They've conquered Europe and control everything. The french-german ax has lost its strength because of the French unwillingness to lead in change, the British have always been a brake on the eu rather than a power to move forward. Getting rid of the UK, Poland and some other US vassals might lead a core Europe forward towards a federation, faster.

The danger of a brexit is other small countries leaving and instability, the chances of Germany leaving are laughably small. They've conquered Europe and control everything. The french-german ax has lost its strength because of the French unwillingness to lead in change, the British have always been a brake on the eu rather than a power to move forward. Getting rid of the UK, Poland and some other US vassals might lead a core Europe forward towards a federation, faster.
True. Ultimately though, Germany's power only exists as long as the EU exists. Reducing the number of states in the EU is only to it's advantage unless they all leave shortly after each other, as it gives it's economy more weight in the whole and makes it's decisions harder to override. But it still needs the vassal states to maintain the union.

i couldn't contain myself and made another thread on the topic, but yeah, i p much agree at this point anyone still voting trump is either dangerously evil or dangerously stupid

I don't blame him for doing what he had to to survive with the entire western military industrial complex openly trying to kill him. What he did was still heroic and made the country a marginally better place.

i couldn't contain myself and made another thread on the topic, but yeah, i p much agree at this point anyone still voting trump is either dangerously evil or dangerously stupid
After this week of relentless fearmongering, even more so.

And still waiting for someone to actually defend the RNC. Without "but... but... but... HILLARY!"

(yeah, I've stolen GB's line. It's useful. :))

I saw a video where someone held up a sign that said "No Racism, No Hate" and people tried to steal it/cover it up. Why? Whatever actions of racism taken by Republicans in the past, they've at least denied it. I guess they feel they can't now that racism and hate are among their candidate's major platforms? But hypocrisy never seemed to bother them before either.

In any case, tag your family. Mine's #DangerouslyStupid

I saw a video where someone held up a sign that said "No Racism, No Hate" and people tried to steal it/cover it up. Why? Whatever actions of racism taken by Republicans in the past, they've at least denied it. I guess they feel they can't now that racism and hate are among their candidate's major platforms? But hypocrisy never seemed to bother them before either.

Mine's #NoFuckingWayNoFuckingHowNeverInAMillionYearsTrump (just counting me, my mom, and my sister here)

Mom got moved out of her first room at the nursing home almost immediately because the other person was hooked on Fox Noise. Couldn't have that. :p

Because the sign was accusing them of being hateful racists. And I'm pretty sure most of them probably aren't. I don't agree with, well, pretty much anything that Trump says, but it's not at all a mystery to me why people in the crowd would take offense to that sign. And the protester herself knew they would, it was the purpose of the protest.

Remember, gross polarization and us vs them is a bad thing, on both sides. I think you do yourself a grave disservice to assume that everyone there is a racist bigot that wants to hang black trans liberals for using the wrong bathroom while ordering a wedding cake. That sort of over simplification and the assumption that any support Trump has must be from the hateful fringe is what lead us to where we are now.

Because the sign was accusing them of being hateful racists. And I'm pretty sure most of them probably aren't. I don't agree with, well, pretty much anything that Trump says, but it's not at all a mystery to me why people in the crowd would take offense to that sign. And the protester herself knew they would, it was the purpose of the protest.

Remember, gross polarization and us vs them is a bad thing, on both sides. I think you do yourself a grave disservice to assume that everyone there is a racist bigot that wants to hang black trans liberals for using the wrong bathroom while ordering a wedding cake. That sort of over simplification and the assumption that any support Trump has must be from the hateful fringe is what lead us to where we are now.
Well that's why I noted my family members as being the stupid side of Trump supporters. They're not evil racist bigot wedding cakes; they're just among the voters who have zero understanding of anything going on in the U.S. right now, but like Trump because he's loud and entertains them.

But as for the protestor, it'd be easy for a smart person on the Republican side to take that message and hold up their own sign (maybe not glittery pink) that says the same thing, capitalizing on it as a statement they agree with. Cloud the issue with positive white noise, even when the actions of Trump's platform contradict that message.

If you did a survey of households asking if they kept a cable news channel on all day, if so which one, and who they planned on voting for, I'd bet you'd find the channel and the candidate's numbers roughly equal. Not counting outliers like BBC World News. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1469342771,1469342667][/DOUBLEPOST]
But making a false dichotomy is not?
There is the tendency (of which I am admittedly guilty) of any attack on someone's preferred side to get the response, "the other one did it first/worse."

Really, they're actually pretty equivalent.
I don't see where Hillary or the Democrats are fearmongering on the level of the GOP. Where does she call for the mass deportations of Mexicans or Muslims? Where does she call for a religious test to enter the country? Where does she PUBLICLY (there's a difference, you've been splitting this hair the entire cycle) call for the targeting of civilians to fight terrorism?

Have the Democrats publicly repudiated the NATO alliance? Publicly declared admiration for mass-murdering dictators. To the point of wanting journalists who disagree with them locked up? Called for jailing of political opponents?

If you're not going to disagree with saying the GOP have Godwin'd themselves, then show me where the Dems have.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't see where Hillary or the Democrats are fearmongering on the level of the GOP. Where does she call for the mass deportations of Mexicans or Muslims? Where does she call for a religious test to enter the country? Where does she PUBLICLY (there's a difference, you've been splitting this hair the entire cycle) call for the targeting of civilians to fight terrorism?

Have the Democrats publicly repudiated the NATO alliance? Publicly declared admiration for mass-murdering dictators. To the point of wanting journalists who disagree with them locked up? Called for jailing of political opponents?

If you're not going to disagree with saying the GOP have Godwin'd themselves, then show me where the Dems have.
Both Hillary and Trump say whatever they think will get them power. Trump panders to the dumb right, Hillary panders to the dumb left. What they actually believe, beyond the desire to increase their own power, wealth, and influence, is buried under dozens of layers of dissembling and political rhetoric that may have little or no correlation to their own actions. They are equivalent in that regard, and 10 years ago you'd have been hard pressed to tell them apart, politically. As has been repeatedly pointed out, both of them are such terrible candidates that the only reason they stand a chance is because of who their opponent is.

(And yes, Democrats have publicly and repeatedly shown admiration for murderous dictators, such as Castro, Guevara, Mao, Chavez, etc.)

Also, I don't think you remember what "godwin'd" means... it means whoever first makes the comparison in the argument, who says "that's like Hitler!" So really, you're the one who has godwin'd yourself.