Export thread

-1 Faith in Humanity

Frank

Frank

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...und-equipment-illinois-park-article-1.1734111

Razor blades found glued to playground equipment only found after a boy's hand was cut. No one's been arrested yet. The placement of the blade in the slide is easily the most heinous. Someone was hoping to carve a child open in the crotch.

Dave

Dave

I think we'll find out it was a couple of kids who did this. Evil, stupid kids, but kids. If it turns out to be an adult...I have no words.

Frank

Frank

It does have the feel of a shitty prank where the perpetrators don't fully comprehend the consequences.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sounds like some punk teenagers to me.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That was my feelings on the matter... a group of adolescents, probably about 10-12 years old or so, doing it because it's (I'm sorry) "edgy."

I hope they catch the little bastards and beat them with power cords.

I keep picturing my daughter playing on the equipment here....

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope they catch the little bastards and beat them with power cords.
I love seeing a police officer say shit like this

Dave

Dave

It's almost like they are people and reacting outside of their jobs!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think that's less Charon the Officer speaking and more Charon the Father.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Biting on the line here, but what the hell. It's not like I've gotten 10 minutes of sleep in the last 48 hours or anything, due to work and caring for a daughter whom I was trying to keep from having to go to the emergency room again due to allergy-related asthma issues.

Yes, I'm a person. I say cruel and truly fucked up stuff sometimes. If you'd ever joined us for our Cards Against Humanity sessions, you'd get a glimpse.

But if you ever see/hear of me doing something like that in the course of my job, feel free to gild that ivory tower you've got going on. Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Keep on enjoying that free speech. While you're at it, please swallow a knife.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm just saying, fantasizing about 12 year olds getting beaten with power cords is kind of fucked up

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm just saying, fantasizing about 12 year olds getting beaten with power cords is kind of fucked up
Yeah, it is kind of fucked up.

I mean, why not use phone books instead? Less bruising.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, but what if they deserve it?

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

alright, nevermind, I'll leave you guys to fetishize violence against the guys that put razor blades on a playground in peace, have at it, champ

PatrThom

PatrThom

For the record, at this point we're only fantasizing about faceless, nameless perpetrators of indeterminate gender getting beaten with power cords.
Further bulletins as events warrant.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Biting on the line here, but what the hell. It's not like I've gotten 10 minutes of sleep in the last 48 hours or anything, due to work and caring for a daughter whom I was trying to keep from having to go to the emergency room again due to allergy-related asthma issues.

Yes, I'm a person. I say cruel and truly fucked up stuff sometimes. If you'd ever joined us for our Cards Against Humanity sessions, you'd get a glimpse.

But if you ever see/hear of me doing something like that in the course of my job, feel free to gild that ivory tower you've got going on. Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Keep on enjoying that free speech. While you're at it, please swallow a knife.
What I remember most about CaH is how much MLP lore you seem to know.

We really need to play that shit again sometime.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, that's awful. I hope those responsible pay the price society deems appropriate and learns a lesson from this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yes, but what if they deserve it?

--Patrick
No one ever deserves punishment. Ever. That is Charlie's Perfect World.

How would your reaction be different if it was someone else saying it?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on.
He doesn't have a single leg to stand on in anything he pretends to advocate for.
Women's rights, Criminal rights, Gay rights, etc. He's an armchair hipster advocate who likes to act like he has anything worth saying on these matters but has never lifted a finger to do anything to help the causes.
IE: Constantly berates police officers for their actions/responses but has never been a part of the justice system in any meaningful way. Never experienced what it's like to be a police officer (ride along/family member who is an officer), never volunteered to help at any kind of criminal rights committee, pretty much never done anything.

This goes for all the rights advocates that I listed above. (For the record, I'm not speaking out of my ass, I advocate for Gay rights constantly by being an active part of the LGBT community here in Austin. I'm part of the LGBT business association, I attend fund raisers and events and help coordinate every now and then.)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

A) Fuck off
B) You don't know shit about me
C) Fuck off

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That was....wonderful.

fade

fade

If only there was someone here with a passionate stance against lumping an entire group of people under one umbrella and making gross assumptions about their whole person based on one generally unrelated characteristic...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But Charlie is a positive force in this world.

He probably signs a lot of online petitions.

Jay

Jay

He doesn't have a single leg to stand on in anything he pretends to advocate for.
Women's rights, Criminal rights, Gay rights, etc. He's an armchair hipster advocate who likes to act like he has anything worth saying on these matters but has never lifted a finger to do anything to help the causes.
IE: Constantly berates police officers for their actions/responses but has never been a part of the justice system in any meaningful way. Never experienced what it's like to be a police officer (ride along/family member who is an officer), never volunteered to help at any kind of criminal rights committee, pretty much never done anything.
LSMS

vhjMQ02.gif

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

phil

phil

Little shitty man syndrome?

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I was 5, I was tricked by some other kids roughly my age into chasing them. I chased them through a door, where they had another friend waiting, who when he saw his own friends come through, pushed over a metal beam so it fell into the path of the door where I had no chance of avoiding it or stopping in time. (It was about the size and weight of an unladen barbell). Sure enough, I smacked right into it with my head and caromed off and hit the floor. I saw a bright flash of light, and I woke up some time later with a school supervisor trying to check if I was concussed.

There are kids who just don't understand the full ramifications of their actions.

However, the ones who are big enough to tape razor blades to monkey bars are not those kids.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I saw a bright flash of light, and I woke up some time later with a school supervisor trying to check if I was concussed.
well, thanks for explaining how you became a libertarian

GasBandit

GasBandit

well, thanks for explaining how you became a libertarian
Way to blame the victim there, you fascist pig.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's quite a yarn, isn't it?

--Patrick

fade

fade

(It was about the size and weight of an unladen barbell).
An African barbell or a European barbell?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Way to blame the victim there, you fascist pig.
Charlie is a white straight cisgender male. You can't expect anything out of him.

Mathias

Mathias

Oh Charlie, the ever vigilant protector of the rights of shitbags everywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1395890933,1395890523][/DOUBLEPOST]
A) Fuck off
B) You don't know shit about me
C) Fuck off

You should just buy a fixie bicycle and move to Phildelphia. You can join the rest of your ilk at the Love Park at 11 am, in tight pants wearing a tuuk toque in the middle of summer, while eating the crumbs of Starbucks' scones off your beard and talking about the latest mainstream band movie you hate

Frank

Frank

Toque.

Emrys

Emrys

@BananaHands, it's time to get in here and post some pictures of crazy animals.

Mathias

Mathias

Damn it, Tuuk is the name of skate blades...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Oh Charlie, the ever vigilant protector of the rights of shitbags everywhere.
it's actually incredibly important to protect the rights of "shitbags" in a society like ours

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Keep at 'em Chuck. Eventually we'll all groupthink to your satisfaction :p

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

it's actually incredibly important to protect the rights of "shitbags" in a society like ours
He does have a point. It is important to protect everyone's rights

Bowielee

Bowielee

Doesn't it make you feel all gross when you have to agree with one of his points?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Total tangent. I bet for most younger people this saying doesn't make any sense, seeing as most of them have never even learned how to read an analog clock.

Mathias

Mathias

And what exactly do you do to protect anyone's rights besides wag your finger on the internet and defend every single predator, rapist, and molester that's ever mention?

Are you a lawyer? Are you a cop? Do you have a criminal justice degree? Social worker? Case worker?

I just find it really strange you seem to have all the empathy in the world for the utter scum of society, but you have no time for their victims.

Mathias

Mathias

Yes, everyone has rights, but that doesn't mean it's not normal to want to clock a fucker in the jaw if you find out he's responsible for hurting children with razorblades on playground equipment.

Dave

Dave

I agree with this. Everyone deserves a defense.

Bones

Bones

this shit is utter gold, I have come to the conclusion that literally none of the major posters like charlie. I mean fuck, even when Mathias was Chaz, he had friends on here. I honestly can't understand why he comes here other than to troll everyone.

Dave

Dave

this shit is utter gold, I have come to the conclusion that literally none of the major posters like charlie. I mean fuck, even when Mathias was Chaz, he had friends on here. I honestly can't understand why he comes her other than to troll everyone.
Sometimes he makes excellent points, but they are lost in the noise and ignored because of the source. Which can be a shame.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Guys, I'm sorry... I derailed this badly, and I usually know better than to snatch up the bait. I blame the sleep-deprivation.

Please, just let it focus back on the original topic, and the filth that could have done such a thing.

Hipsters, while a deliciously satisfying target, probably did not tape razor-blades to park equipment.

Bones

Bones

my guess is teenagers, early to mid teens, have the brain power to figure out how to do it, but not the wisdom to consider the ramifications.

OC, I wouldnt worry about it. I have seen how hard it can be with your profession and having a sick kid.

Frank

Frank

I think I may be one of the few posters who doesn't actively dislike Charlie.

Bones

Bones

back on the topic, I remember when I was a kid we had an all wood playground in my neighborhood. someone doused it in gas and kerosene and set it alight. I remember being really sad.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Yes, everyone has rights, but that doesn't mean it's not normal to want to clock a fucker in the jaw if you find out he's responsible for hurting children with razorblades on playground equipment.
I agree. I also feel dirty for agreeing with Charlie.

phil

phil

The thing is? Ideologically, chuck and I are on quite similar wavelengths. I think we as a society focus too much on punishing criminals than rehabilitation. I think there are those that are privileged that don't recognize it and thus end up making it harder for those that are not. I worry that those that we trust to have authority over us can and sometimes do abuse that power, without much of a means to keep said authority in check.

I still have him on ignore because I feel like he contributes absolutely nothing. And he's the only one on that list, too. The way the guy conducts himself is just kind of sad. Why try to be the morality police and bark at everyone who he feels doesn't adhere to his code 100%? Why not contribute to the discussion in a way that it can still influence people toward your goal?

The guy needs to go to tumblr or /r/SRS or whatever holier than thou circle jerk he prefers and stop shitting on threads here.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think I may be one of the few posters who doesn't actively dislike Charlie.
Neither do I. It's hard to actively hate someone who tries so very hard not to be themselves. You can just smell the desperation as they're posting purely just to get a rise out of people. It's actually kind of sad, really. Going purely by what he posts, he's more a character or caricature than an actual person.

Krisken

Krisken

Not that I'm a major poster (not quite sure what that means or what the requirements to make that grade would be), but I don't dislike Charlie either. There are very few people I really disliked on the forum, and they don't come around here anymore.

Bones

Bones

my mistake, it seems like from watching all the interactions it always ends with someone telling him off.

Krisken

Krisken

my mistake, it seems like from watching all the interactions it always ends with someone telling him off.
Well yeah. That doesn't mean people don't like him, though. My uncle is a racist dirtbag, but I still like the guy. You just have to hope eventually the guy will see he's over simplifying a complex situation. Someday he'll see grouping people by preconceived stereotypes isn't supplying an accurate picture of the people he's talking about.

fade

fade

The only thing I don't like the extreme irony of stereotyping one group because someone from that group stereotyped another.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I used to, perhaps, but later I came to realize he's not an actual person - he's a cartoon. I can't really bring myself to "hate" him any more than I could hate Mumm-Ra the Ever Living. But of course I have to give him shit when he's... well, Charlie. I mean, consider how long it's been since I or anyone else just shouted him down with "STFU Charlie."

So long as those rights don't involve guns or what they do with their own money, anyway, right?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

this shit is utter gold, I have come to the conclusion that literally none of the major posters like charlie. I mean fuck, even when Mathias was Chaz, he had friends on here. I honestly can't understand why he comes here other than to troll everyone.
I don't know which posters are 'major' - I mean there are few obvious prolific posters among us - but for my two cents, I like @Charlie Don't Surf; I like everyone here. And that's not a cloying, errbody loves errbody mentality. I like all of you, I enjoy reading and engaging, even, perhaps especially if I disagree.

Espy

Espy

I like everyone here.

Except you.

And you.

And you.

And I'm not crazy about that guy over there.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I like everyone here.

Except you.

And you.

And you.

And I'm not crazy about that guy over there.
"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, I'm out."

Fun Size

Fun Size

My only comment here would be that whoever did this is a deeply disturbed individual, but they reduce my faith in humanity not one iota. Every system has broken parts. You don't have to discount the entire system just to acknowledge that those parts need to be removed.

As for our man Chuck, while he has on occasion posted a couple of my least favorite style of posts ("not funny" and "you can't joke about that because"), I actually think he's funny on occasion and makes for an interesting foil that allows many conversations to spiral madly out of control, which makes it easier for people like me to come in make jokes. :awesome:

PatrThom

PatrThom

<DudePic.jpg>

--Patrick

BananaHands

BananaHands

@BananaHands, it's time to get in here and post some pictures of crazy animals.

But I'm tiiiiired.

Jax

Jax

Neither do I. It's hard to actively hate someone who tries so very hard not to be themselves. You can just smell the desperation as they're posting purely just to get a rise out of people. It's actually kind of sad, really. Going purely by what he posts, he's more a character or caricature than an actual person.
I'm currently 56% convinced that Charlie is an alt, not just one person but actually a character managed by several people who, when they need to blow off steam and be an utter shitbag, can slip on the Charlie jacket and go to town. I mean, come on, the username is "Charlie don't Surf".

The percentage increases with every thread "Charlie" posts in.

Emrys

Emrys

But I'm tiiiiired.
You had one job...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm currently 56% convinced that Charlie is an alt, not just one person but actually a character managed by several people who, when they need to blow off steam and be an utter shitbag, can slip on the Charlie jacket and go to town. I mean, come on, the username is "Charlie don't Surf".

re: my posts

they're real, and they're spectacular

*studio audience cheer wildly*

Krisken

Krisken

That would be quite a trick since he came over from that other forum.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Okay, okay. I'm up.

Fussy Ferret said:
Just because you disagree with a post, doesn't mean you all should gang up and practically harass the guy. Let's chill it on the personal attacks.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Okay, okay. I'm up.

Fussy Ferret said:
Just because you disagree with a post, doesn't mean you all should gang up and practically harass the guy. Let's chill it on the personal attacks.
Oh Fussy, you so wise.

Emrys

Emrys

Oh Fussy, you so wise.
Maybe Fussy should start an AMA thread.

Jax

Jax

That would be quite a trick since he came over from that other forum.
So did 70% of the rest of the people here. Heck, even I go back two or three forums..

Krisken

Krisken

So did 70% of the rest of the people here. Heck, even I go back two or three forums..
No, I mean years after a move. During a hilarious romp to that other forum in which barbs were slung back and forth.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

No, I came over from Kurtz's other orphan forum, not the previous forum here. But I mean it's all the same, I've been here the 4 (?) years since this was "Halforum"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll throw my conspiracy theory in: Charlie is a hardcore right-wing conservative religious racist sexist zealot disguised as a liberal extremist strawman so that he can turn people to a hardcore right-wing conservative religious racist sexist zealot way of thinking.

strawman

strawman

I just find it really strange you seem to have all the empathy in the world for the utter scum of society, but you have no time for their victims.
I see it as an acceptance of the inability to change the past, but ability to change the future.

He can't save the boy who's hand was cut, but he could save the perpetrators from the victimization of the criminal justice system which is obviously heavily weighted against those who target children.

He further seems to believe that the intentions and mental capacity of the criminal should factor more heavily into the justice meted out.

If the person who did this was a 12 year old girl who really didn't think it was a big deal, then she should be punished according to her capability to understand the possible outcomes of her choices, rather than the actual outcomes or possible outcomes.

Then, on top of all that, I don't think he believes that the consequences set forth in the law should be higher than the crime itself. There are many harsh penalties for breaking certain laws as crime deterrents. It seems he believes the punishment should fit the crime, and no further - if even that far.

All this adds up to a very, very divergent view of what the criminal justice system should do, vs what our society has designed it to do.

I'll throw my conspiracy theory in: Charlie is a hardcore right-wing conservative religious racist sexist zealot disguised as a liberal extremist strawman so that he can turn people to a hardcore right-wing conservative religious racist sexist zealot way of thinking.
:ninja:
And it's working!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Occam's Razor.

He's just an annoying hipster.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have posited in the past that Charlie is an alt of Gasbandit's to make us liberals look like drooling morons. Strawman by proxy, I believe is the term I used.

As for Charlie himself, eh, his movie threads are pretty good sometimes. I just ignore everything he posts on social issues.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have posited in the past that Charlie is an alt of Gasbandit's to make us liberals look like drooling morons. Strawman by proxy, I believe is the term I used.
Not I, said the cat.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Not I, said the cat.
In case it wasn't clear, I was not serious.

Even your perception of liberals isn't THAT skewed.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I don't think anyone like's Charlie more than me. Just look at his positive ratings for proof!

Doesn't make me any less right about his armchair advocates though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think anyone like's Charlie more than me. Just look at his positive ratings for proof!

Doesn't make me any less right about his armchair advocates though.

Ve vould like a vord vis you.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sieg...Heil? :confused:

bhamv3

bhamv3

I like Charlie enough to be honest with him when he's crossed the line into dickery.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

damn I didn't want to make this thread about me.

I'm all for jail as rehabilitation, I just think violent, gruesome punishments (like the death penalty) bring us, as human beings, down to the level of those that committed the crime in the first place

Dave

Dave

I'm all for jail as rehabilitation, I just think violent, gruesome punishments (like the death penalty) bring us, as human beings, down to the level of those that committed the crime in the first place
And that's a perfectly good opinion to hold. I don't necessarily agree with it to the fullest extent, but I smell what you're cooking.

Espy

Espy

Yes. BUT you have to allow people to feel the emotions and responses they have. EVERYONE feels things they wouldn't do or actually want. It's part of being human. And your reaction to them really shames people (or attempts to). Maybe instead of trying to shame others for having emotions that you don't like, just try to understand why they have them. Does that make sense?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It only shames us if we let it.

When it comes to crime and punishment, I do believe rehabilitation is a preferable option. I also believe that the desire to truly rehabilitate has to come from within the subject, and too rarely is it something that they want to do. Too many don't feel remorse for what they've done, instead seeing the state as the bad guy for keeping them confined. They get out, and the cycle continues.

The death penalty exists for a very good reason - it removes from society permanently those who have crossed a particularly heinous line. It is not to be utilized without careful consideration, but it should always be in place as an option.

The appeals process for it is ridiculous, too... we had a cop-killer here executed a couple years ago, who was on death row for 20 years. 20 years, spent fighting an iron-clad case in an incident that didn't have to happen in the first place. THAT'S crazy.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Also I like how Charlie thinks we're all death panel advocates when most of the time we just want to lay a can of whoop ass on the criminal and then let the justice system do its work. Oh but that's wrong too, I forgot. Even Hitler deserved better treatment (Anyone remember when Charlie defended Hitler/Osama/Stalin? That was fun times).

Just Me

Just Me

Occam's Razor.

He's just an annoying hipster.
:eek:

Man, watch your words, show some empathy!

Bones

Bones

Also I like how Charlie thinks we're all death panel advocates when most of the time we just want to lay a can of whoop ass on the criminal and then let the justice system do its work. Oh but that's wrong too, I forgot. Even Hitler deserved better treatment (Anyone remember when Charlie defended Hitler/Osama/Stalin? That was fun times).
to be fair had he not taken his own life the ultimate punishment for Hitler would have been to stuff him in a small bare cell for the rest of his life and let him consider alone with his thoughts the deaths of 6 million human beings who had nothing to do with waging war on Europe.

BananaHands

BananaHands

to be fair had he not taken his own life the ultimate punishment for Hitler would have been to stuff him in a small bare cell for the rest of his life and let him consider alone with his thoughts the deaths of 6 million human beings who had nothing to do with waging war on Europe.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

we just want to lay a can of whoop ass on the criminal and then let the justice system do its work. Oh but that's wrong too, I forgot. .
yes, that is wrong, that's fucking savage.

and I forgot how I defended those brutal dictators other than saying I wouldn't give them the death penalty?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

yes, that is wrong, that's fucking savage.

and I forgot how I defended those brutal dictators other than saying I wouldn't give them the death penalty?
Stalin's guards were so afraid of him, they left him collapsed on the floor unable to speak and drenched in his own pee for fear that he might suddenly recover and have them shot for disobeying orders that he was not to be disturbed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Stalin's guards were so afraid of him, they left him collapsed on the floor unable to speak and drenched in his own pee for fear that he might suddenly recover and have them shot for disobeying orders that he was not to be disturbed.
okay, cool, whatever? I still am anti-death penalty

GasBandit

GasBandit

You heard it here, folks. Charlie thinks it's "cool" that Stalin was so terrifying.

Espy

Espy

Seriously dude. Charlie. You can be against all these things (and I think you would be surprised how many here, including some responding very negatively to you, feel similarly) but still leave room for people to have emotional responses.

@OC I never meant to imply you FELT ashamed, just that he was using shaming language for a human response, which isn't ok. People need to be able to have emotional, human responses to things.

PatrThom

PatrThom

okay, cool, whatever? I still am anti-death penalty
Shrinking Majority of Americans Support Death Penalty
...unless you're White, apparently. Then it's all, "Light 'em up!"

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Shrinking Majority of Americans Support Death Penalty
...unless you're White, apparently. Then it's all, "Light 'em up!"

--Patrick
Well, this makes sense because people of color get executed way more than white people

BananaHands

BananaHands

If this keeps up we're going to lose much more than 1 Faith in Humanity point.

Bones

Bones

is that a dread ferret, close relative to the doom weasel?

Necronic

Necronic

I agree with most of what Charlie is saying here. Justice is blind and dispassionate. I can't stand it when the internet gets all "oh lets go kick some ass". For one, its just hillbilly redneck justice and as someone from a first world country you should respect yourself and your criminal justice system more than that. And two, since it's said on the internet, it's an empty threat made to puff yourself up or something. It's almost like the hillbilly redneck version of white-knighting.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people say those things from time to time, some crimes, like this, are particularly heinous. But defending the statements after the fact? That's ridiculous. Vigilante justice is dangerous. Internet threats of vigilante justice are simply pathetic.

....unless it's batman.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I agree with most of what Charlie is saying here. Justice is blind and dispassionate. I can't stand it when the internet gets all "oh lets go kick some ass". For one, its just hillbilly redneck justice and as someone from a first world country you should respect yourself and your criminal justice system more than that. And two, since it's said on the internet, it's an empty threat made to puff yourself up or something. It's almost like the hillbilly redneck version of white-knighting.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people say those things from time to time, some crimes, like this, are particularly heinous. But defending the statements after the fact? That's ridiculous. Vigilante justice is dangerous. Internet threats of vigilante justice are simply pathetic.

....unless it's batman.
also when an actual police officer says it, it's terrifying since the police can beat the shit out of / kill whoever they want and seldom face consequences other than "administrative leave"

Necronic

Necronic

Nah, it's not terrifying, he was just spouting off. We all do that, and like he said, when he gets to his job it's a totally different thing. Like I said, I don't think it's crazy to say things like this from time to time, sometimes we all reach our limit on what we can stomach. But to try and defend the statements as rational sentiments (which he didn't, although others did), that's where you cross a line.

Emrys

Emrys

is that a dread ferret, close relative to the doom weasel?
That's a dire ferret. It's difficult to see the scale but that little bugger is the size of a bus.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That's a dire ferret. It's difficult to see the scale but that little bugger is the size of a bus.
Fun fact: there is such a thing that's essentially a dire corgi. It's a Swedish vallhund and it was also a favored dog for Vikings. The breed is still around, by the way.

Emrys

Emrys

Fun fact: there is such a thing that's essentially a dire corgi. It's a Swedish vallhund and it was also a favored dog for Vikings. The breed is still around, by the way.
I've seen pictures of it. Too cute for words!

But dire ferrets are cuter. :D

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

also when an actual police officer says it, it's terrifying since the police can beat the shit out of / kill whoever they want and seldom face consequences other than "administrative leave"
Not. Even. Remotely. This single sentence is perhaps the grossest oozing of drivel that you have ever let slip from your mind, through your fingers, and unto the aether.

Charlie, I don't have a problem with you as a poster. While I find your position on many things execrable, your arguments supporting your position are very often well thought out.

Your sheer ignorance here, however, goes beyond the pale. Try going on a police ride-along sometime in an urban area, where crime is high - not some well-to-do suburban utopia. See what the scumbags do when they think they can get away with it.

I'm out of this topic. I regret responding to the bait in the first place. Enjoy your pillar of self-righteousness.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I saw a dire Corgi at the dog park this week. It was half pit bull. It was like the doberman chihuahua mix from the super bowl.

It had to be one of the meanest damn dogs that I have ever seen.

Yellow and white like a Corgi, but slick coat like a pit.

Pit Bull head, Corgi legs. Heavily Muscled. And that is coming from me, who owns a ripped dog.

bossy behavior like a Corgi, but the strength to kill any dog there.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, now when you can prove that is representative of police officers as a whole, then you'll start convincing us. Right now, though, you look like a cherry picking twat.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I didn't say "every policeman is a murderer", I said they can get away with murder / assault on suspects, then showed an example of them getting away with murder.

Emrys

Emrys

<sigh>
@BananaHands, better get the emergency back-up gifs ready.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Right now, though, you look like a cherry picking twat.

I didn't say "every policeman is a murderer", I said they can get away with murder / assault on suspects, then showed an example of them getting away with murder.
Except you've pretty much said in nearly every thread about police officers that there are more bad than good, then when asked to supply proof, you vanish from the thread.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

go ahead and find a quote where I said "the majority of police officers are murderers", I'll wait

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's not just the Police, Charlie. Anyone can get away with murder with luck and/or proper planning. The thing about "murder" is that it requires a preponderance of evidence for a conviction, which is why many people "get away" with murder...but then get hit with crushing civil penalties for a "wrongful death" claim because the standards for conviction are different. In the case of a homeless person, however, there may not be anyone willing or able to make that second claim.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's not just the Police, Charlie. Anyone can get away with murder with luck and/or proper planning. The thing about "murder" is that it requires a preponderance of evidence for a conviction, which is why many people "get away" with murder...but then get hit with crushing civil penalties for a "wrongful death" claim because the standards for conviction are different. In the case of a homeless person, however, there may not be anyone willing or able to make that second claim.

--Patrick

all of these words mean absolutely nothing

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

go ahead and find a quote where I said "the majority of police officers are murderers", I'll wait
Sure thing, going to take a few minutes because you have alot of greatest hits.

PatrThom

PatrThom

all of these words mean absolutely nothing
They're supposed to convey an idea to you through a process called "communication." If I somehow chose words which did not produce this result, then I apologize.

Also, you probably shouldn't try to ever become a lawyer.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's a process with you @Charlie Don't Surf , but it's not hard to read between the lines. Here we go.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/c...off-during-stop-and-frisk.30105/#post-1103964
Here you posted about how cops will cover for each other, even when they do something wrong. So therefore are corrupt.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/c...off-during-stop-and-frisk.30105/#post-1103960
Same thread, calling the police monsters.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/s...-upon-arrest-keep-forever.29421/#post-1054856
Here's one where you claim the police are power hungry.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/e...is-waging-war-on-the-lapd.29013/#post-1028048
Here you couldn't help mention the corruption of the LAPD.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/e...is-waging-war-on-the-lapd.29013/#post-1028013
Here you imply that if police officers didn't have more restraint, they would kill without abandon.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/n...ieving-mother-for-the-dent.28418/#post-989649
Here you make it clear that you don't imply that all officers are toxic, just the majority.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/n...ieving-mother-for-the-dent.28418/#post-989614
Here you mistakenly think that police officers arresting people = convictions that lead to the prison inflation system.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/we-might-need-a-shooting-prefix.28224/#post-978757
Here you post an article where corrupt officers shot multiple people.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/ban-every-gun.28031/page-11#post-973859
Here's another article you posted about corrupt officers shooting multiple people.

-------------------------------------
FYI There are over 6 pages of posts from you with similar threads/meanings. I actually picked some of the tamer ones.

So let's see. Charlie believes that corrupt cops kill tons of people everyday. Charlie also believes that majority of police officers are corrupt. Therefore:
Charlie believes most police officers are murderers.

Anythingelse you'd like me to remind you of Charlie?

Frank

Frank

For as much as you guys are piling on Charlie here again, if you think the blue shield doesn't exist, then I have some sweet moon mining rights up for grabs too.[DOUBLEPOST=1396047002,1396046822][/DOUBLEPOST]
https://www.halforums.com/threads/n...ieving-mother-for-the-dent.28418/#post-989649
Here you make it clear that you don't imply that all officers are toxic, just the majority.
I don't think you understood his meaning at all here.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

For as much as you guys are piling on Charlie here again, if you think the blue shield doesn't exist, then I have some sweet moon mining rights up for grabs too.
There's a difference between believing in it's existence and believing that it controls the world like a Shadow Government.
Also I was moving quickly to get as many quotes as possible, feel free to substitute that one for the 50+ in the search parameters.

PatrThom

PatrThom

if you think the blue shield doesn't exist, then I have some sweet moon mining rights up for grabs too.
Not saying it doesn't, of course. We (Society) give the Boys In Blue a bit more leeway due to their position, and some of them lean on that leeway a little too hard. But much like the "all auto mechanics are crooks" mentality, and the "all doctors are rich" mentality, I'm sure reality is a lot further away from these public perceptions than it sounds.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I honestly think Chuck is just a little jealous at all of the love Naiwen was getting.

Emrys

Emrys

Yes, we have been piling some sweet Halforums love on her. :heart:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yes, we have been piling some sweet Halforums love on her. :heart:
Sadly, I think we scared her away. Otherwise, there'd be about two dozen new threads by now.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Sadly, I think we scared her away. Otherwise, there'd be about two dozen new threads by now.
As someone pointed out in another thread, she still checks the forums daily.

GasBandit

GasBandit

forbiddenlove.jpg

Emrys

Emrys

I'm in a pissy mood right now so I'll see what I can do to pick up the slack.

Frank

Frank

Not saying it doesn't, of course. We (Society) give the Boys In Blue a bit more leeway due to their position, and some of them lean on that leeway a little too hard. But much like the "all auto mechanics are crooks" mentality, and the "all doctors are rich" mentality, I'm sure reality is a lot further away from these public perceptions than it sounds.

--Patrick
When Chuck refers to THE POLICE he's referring to that protectionist/corruption culture in general (which exists, I know the RCMP higher ups are rife with this shit) and not to most of the every day folk. Even one of the quoted posts by Gil said as much.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure she wants to post, but she's probably swamped with middle school homework. They really pile that shit on.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

When Chuck refers to THE POLICE he's referring to that protectionist/corruption culture in general (which exists, I know the RCMP higher ups are rife with this shit) and not to most of the every day folk. Even one of the quoted posts by Gil said as much.
One, vs the 50+ where he's not. Nice cherry pick. He's not referring to the protectionist/corruption, he's talking about the majority.

Jay

Jay

"the majority of police officers are murderers"

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

:minionhappy:

/well something's not working right. but I'll let the Minion STAND!

Necronic

Necronic

I subscribe to two subreddits that are relevant here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Good_Cop_Free_Donut

If you're on reddit I would suggest subscribing to both of them. Sadly one gets a LOT more posts than the other. Thing is, I respect the hell out of cops. One of my groomsmen is a cop. And yeah, people recognize the bad shit they do WAY more than the good stuff. But....that's because their job is to do the good stuff and stop the bad stuff. When a cop is the one doing the bad stuff, it's not just that he's not doing his job, his doing the exact opposite of his job. Cops don't get a pat on their backs for not being corrupt dicks for the same reason I don't get a promotion for showing up to work on time. Because ITS THE BARE MINIMUM OF THEIR FUCKING JOB.

There are a lot of good cops out there, the vast majority. But there are some serious shit-heels out there, and because of the fucked up abomination of an afterbirth of a child that you get from the Blue Shield and unions, I don't know what you can do to fight those people other than have citizens that are willing to be VERY VOCAL about the bad ones. I'm sorry if we don't celebrate the good ones enough, we should, but at the end of the day I would rather be vocal about the bad apples and offend some good cops than say nothing and let them police themselves.

BananaHands

BananaHands

<sigh>
@BananaHands, better get the emergency back-up gifs ready.
Puppies, owls or hedgehogs?

drifter

drifter

I demand nudibranch gifs

Mathias

Mathias

I subscribe to two subreddits that are relevant here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Good_Cop_Free_Donut

If you're on reddit I would suggest subscribing to both of them. Sadly one gets a LOT more posts than the other. Thing is, I respect the hell out of cops. One of my groomsmen is a cop. And yeah, people recognize the bad shit they do WAY more than the good stuff. But....that's because their job is to do the good stuff and stop the bad stuff. When a cop is the one doing the bad stuff, it's not just that he's not doing his job, his doing the exact opposite of his job. Cops don't get a pat on their backs for not being corrupt dicks for the same reason I don't get a promotion for showing up to work on time. Because ITS THE BARE MINIMUM OF THEIR FUCKING JOB.

There are a lot of good cops out there, the vast majority. But there are some serious shit-heels out there, and because of the fucked up abomination of an afterbirth of a child that you get from the Blue Shield and unions, I don't know what you can do to fight those people other than have citizens that are willing to be VERY VOCAL about the bad ones. I'm sorry if we don't celebrate the good ones enough, we should, but at the end of the day I would rather be vocal about the bad apples and offend some good cops than say nothing and let them police themselves.

I've read that a big issue with cops is the almost prerequisite guarantee of ex military getting jobs over civilians. Marines in particular have a certain mindset of law and order that's ingrained in them. They are not afraid to kill; they've been in situations where they may have killed. Their idea of serve and protect may be more militant in ideal - like in listen to me or I'll give you a bad day sort of way.

Don't get me wrong, this kind of mentality is absolutely needed for military work, but oftentimes police forces don't require it and military folks tend to play that whole veteran club card during the hiring process. Bottomline is that one of the problems facing police forces might be that they're hiring Rottweilers and Dobermans when they need German Shepherds and Labradors.

Emrys

Emrys

Puppies, owls or hedgehogs?
I think all three may be required.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I think all three may be required.
However, while I'd enjoy it, a .gif of an owl eating either a puppy or a hedgehog does not generally count as "cute".

On topic a) I hope those shitheads get some wrong chemicals mixed in their drugs and suffer a nice case of "shit my intestines are coming out both ways".
On topic b) I think it's perfectly normal and acceptable for people - including cops - to voice things they wouldn't do in real life. How many of us haven't at one time or another called out in traffic for the other driver to go drive off a cliff/drop dead/eat shit/whatever? It's only human to get frustrated, and to want to lash out. Bottling everything up, saying nothing, being calm until one day you explode and actually do something like that (take a gun to a cinema, mow down 10 pedestrians with your car, you name it) isn't healthy. Expressing and dealing with those frustrations - either by yelling or posting on the internet or drawing or making aggressive metal music or by punching that punching bag really hard - is a normal, necessary part of human nature. Trying to force everyone to "think right" doesn't even work in North Korea, let alone it'd work in the US of A.
On topic c) I still firmly believe Charlie has emotional issues. Seriously. Be it some mental disorder, or sexual confusion, or racial guilt, or survivor's guilt or whatnot, many of his "white knight" posts can be read as someone who can't/won't accept certain feelings of their own and desperately tries to prove those feelings are wrong/bad in others. Much like the most depraved became the inquisitors, the most active racist nutjobs tend to be have some color mixed in (in whatever direction they're racist), much like priests who seek celibacy because their feelings are "wrong" and unacceptable to themselves (...and then they fail and go for the choir boys), it's often people who have very high moral standards and fail to live up to them themselves who are the greatest fighters for whatever they want/feel themselves.
On topic d) I find it surprising, time and again, how Charlie can so actively and indiscriminately judge and sentence a group based on the actions of a few, a lack of knowledge, and prejudice. The way he acts towards/against police officers is the exact same way of thinking applied by racists towards their race of choice. It's sad to see he remains blind to this. Discrimination and prejudice aren't acceptable just because they're against a group that can easily be seen as privileged.
On topic e) I certainly don't hate Charlie. Sometimes I can get annoyed because he seems to deliberately misinterpret positions to fuel a fire - but so do Gasbandit, Jay, Chaz or Gilgamesh. Perhaps the most irritating is that he's usually on the right side of an argument, but pushes so hard and so far that other posters can't help but push back.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Much like the most depraved became the inquisitors, the most active racist nutjobs tend to be have some color mixed in (in whatever direction they're racist), much like priests who seek celibacy because their feelings are "wrong" and unacceptable to themselves (...and then they fail and go for the choir boys), it's often people who have very high moral standards and fail to live up to them themselves who are the greatest fighters for whatever they want/feel themselves.
On that note, there is the story of Leland Yee from a couple days ago:
Anti-gun and Anti-videogame California Senator Indicted for Corruption and Arms Trafficking

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

On that note, there is the story of Leland Yee from a couple days ago:
Anti-gun and Anti-videogame California Senator Indicted for Corruption and Arms Trafficking

--Patrick
Yeah, take a moment to bask in THAT hypocrisy. A politician who has been a vocal and emphatic voice for banning all guns in violation of the 2nd amendment (and wasn't so nice with the 1st either)... was indicted for selling M16s illegally. And because he has a (D) in his title, news sources are largely ignoring it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

because he has a (D) in his title, news sources are largely ignoring it.
Would this be that "Blue Shield" at work?

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

I believe this is where some idiot complains that this is under reported because it's a Democrat and doesn't bother to do a Google search.

BananaHands

BananaHands

GasBandit

GasBandit

I believe this is where some idiot complains that this is under reported because it's a Democrat and doesn't bother to do a Google search.
I'm talking about TV, cupcake. All the major news networks, save one, have been pretending this didn't happen. Your google search tells the tale - only SoCal newspapers (because it's a local story) and local affiliates talked about it. CNN, MSNBC, etc are all still trying to shake "But.. but a bridge got closed in new jersey 6 months ago!"

But thanks for acknowledging you have to attempt to address the media's democrat bias because you know it's there.

fade

fade

I'm a liberal (I hesitate to say democrat) and I do agree. NPR is almost sickeningly so, and in reality it should be the least.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I demand nudibranch gifs

PatrThom

PatrThom

We'll get back to the hedgemony hedgehogs in a moment, but I'll say I don't find it unusual that the for-profit media wouldn't want to seem openly critical of whomever is in power at the time, except maybe through their political cartoons. Once someone is out of office, though, I expect it becomes open season. No matter what their party affiliation might be, I would expect they would want to show whoever the new guy is just how much they hate the old one.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

We'll get back to the hedgemony hedgehogs in a moment, but I'll say I don't find it unusual that the for-profit media wouldn't want to seem openly critical of whomever is in power at the time, except maybe through their political cartoons. Once someone is out of office, though, I expect it becomes open season. No matter what their party affiliation might be, I would expect they would want to show whoever the new guy is just how much they hate the old one.

--Patrick
Except they have an ideological agenda, and a narrative that says that even when they're solidly in power they're still underdogs struggling to get anything done because those bad old wepubwicans still have boots on all their, and our, throats.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm a liberal (I hesitate to say democrat) and I do agree. NPR is almost sickeningly so, and in reality it should be the least.
I believe at one point a couple years ago they outright announced they were going to stop being so we-don't-choose-sides, both-sides-of-the-story, and equal-time-for-all (i.e., Fairness Doctrine), essentially claiming that nobody else was following those ideals any more, and why should they be any different?[DOUBLEPOST=1396117141,1396116633][/DOUBLEPOST]
they're still underdogs struggling to get anything done because those bad old wepubwicans still have boots on all their, and our, throats.
You're never going to convince me that any party/individual/paper/movement/etc. is serious about making things better until they stop trying to find/pin blame and start working towards figuring out what it'll take to actually make things better. Really, I don't care who caused <bad thing> to happen, I just want it fixed.

And that's generally how I vote, too. Dunno which party that "officially" makes me. Progressive, maybe?

--Patrick