We might need a 'shooting' prefix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count the #of people with .45 wounds (the gunman) vs. people with .40 9mm wounds (the most likely cartridge for the police.)

If any of the people wounded by police is from over-penetration, it would be a good time to start the switch to the .40 round.

S

Soliloquy

You know, looking into this one... it seems like the shooter entered the building to shoot and kill a specific person, then tried to leave nonchalantly. It doesn't make much sense for him to kill one person inside the building and then leave to focus on people outside of the building.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that all of the victims outside of the building were hit by police.

With the weapon that they are using, every shot could have passed through the gunman and hit the bystanders...

But in reality, it is amazing that they hit the guy at all. Many departments don't train their officers to shoot while they are under stress.

I'm not (surprise) really blaming the police on this one at all. It just more speaks that this wasn't a typical "mass shooting" event (despite my joke above before any facts came in), and just was another gun murder in a crowded place where the reckless perp got some other people hurt in his suicide by cop / mad dash away / whatever.

GasBandit

Staff member
With the weapon that they are using, every shot could have passed through the gunman and hit the bystanders...

But in reality, it is amazing that they hit the guy at all. Many departments don't train their officers to shoot while they are under stress.
I could understand a couple, but nine? I think this is more a case of the latter than the former.

It could be like that time around 20 years ago where a state trooper and a white supremest got into a gun fight five feet apart. Both of them emptied their clips at each other and missed. Nearly 30 rounds at 5 feet, and no hits at all.

I'm not (surprise) really blaming the police on this one at all. It just more speaks that this wasn't a typical "mass shooting" event (despite my joke above before any facts came in), and just was another gun murder in a crowded place where the reckless perp got some other people hurt in his suicide by cop / mad dash away / whatever.
Really? So the fact they jumped the gun and started shooting around in a crowded area when the bad guy hadn't shot yet isn't wrong? NYPD would seem to have been a bit trigger happy, even though it probably was necessary to put him down.

Going by the video, he pulled his gun out and pointed it at them in one of the busiest areas in Manhattan.

The police commissioner is also saying that the bystanders were hit by fragmentation off the flowerpots (and you can actually see some impact sparks).

I'm always a bit skeptical of the NYPD (for many historical examples), but this seems like they did they best they could in a horrible situation that fortunately did not end up even worse.

Going by the video, he pulled his gun out and pointed it at them in one of the busiest areas in Manhattan.

The police commissioner is also saying that the bystanders were hit by fragmentation off the flowerpots (and you can actually see some impact sparks).

I'm always a bit skeptical of the NYPD (for many historical examples), but this seems like they did they best they could in a horrible situation that fortunately did not end up even worse.
I'm not saying they're in the wrong...I was saying I'd expect Charlie to say they were in the wrong :p

Status
Not open for further replies.