Ban every gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ermac

I'll take a crack at it for you.

Bombs take a higher amount of knowledge to make and deploy in an effective manner. Guns make it easy for almost anyone to kill another person. Thus, Ermac's statement that "guns don't make it easier to kill people" is patently false.

I can see the flaw in your logic, and I'm against further gun control!
If you're motivated enough to kill somebody, none of that matters. Nobody is going to give up just because they don't have a firearm. If they want to kill people in mass they'll find ways that are just as deadly if not more deadly, such as bomb making. Higher amount of knowledge? These people in the middle east don't have the education,materials, and money we have and yet they are so easily able to make bombs and blow up people. If you want to kill specific people accurately and precisely and without causing collateral damage and danger to yourself or those you care about, then a firearm makes it easier without a doubt. If you want to kill as many people as possible and not caring about those things, then a bomb is better in my eyes. If you're talking about person to person, then you're right that a firearm makes it easier.

If you're motivated enough to kill somebody, none of that matters. Nobody is going to give up just because they don't have a firearm. If they want to kill people in mass they'll find ways that are just as deadly if not more deadly, such as bomb making. Higher amount of knowledge? These people in the middle east don't have the education,materials, and money we have and yet they are so easily able to make bombs and blow up people. If you want to kill specific people accurately and precisely and without causing collateral damage and danger to yourself or those you care about, then a firearm makes it easier without a doubt. If you want to kill as many people as possible and not caring about those things, then a bomb is better in my eyes. If you're talking about person to person, then you're right that a firearm makes it easier.
how many bomb murders do you hear about that aren't acts of "terrorism" or political in nature in nations where guns are not readily available? has that ever happened in the world, once.

is your argument really that banning guns will make bomb murders go up?

Guns make it easier to kill people. Otherwise we wouldn't have them - that's the whole purpose of a gun - make it easier to kill someone, or something if needed.

E

Ermac

how many bomb murders do you hear about that aren't acts of "terrorism" or political in nature in nations where guns are not readily available? has that ever happened in the world, once.

is your argument really that banning guns will make bomb murders go up?
Political or terrorism is irrelevant to this argument. That's not my argument.[DOUBLEPOST=1344124476][/DOUBLEPOST]
But I thought explosives were so fucking easy to make???? Even middle easterners can do it!!!!!
But I thought guns made it to easy to kill people! Why did this guy miss at point blank range?
Why did the auroa shooter's drum magazine jam? Guns and bombs, both are man made devices and are subjectable to failure whether it's caused by the firearm or by the user. Nothing is perfect.

Maybe I didn't elaborate enough. But this idea that a gun makes mass killings easier to do is not true, because in the middle east they kill more people with bombs in 1 attack than usually 1 person with a gun does.
I get what he's trying to say, which is that guns are not the only way to make killing people easier, Ermac is just not clearly stating this.
But I thought explosives were so fucking easy to make???? Even middle easterners can do it!!!!!
They are incredibly easy to make, and your intimation that the average middle easterners [sic] are of below-average intelligence is just plain false. Procuring the ingredients (without giving away your intent) is usually the most difficult part. Also there is the part where if you mix them wrong you disappear in a puff of smoke. On top of that, no matter how easy something is to do, it will be very difficult for you to do if you have never done it before.

--Patrick

I think he's stating that mass murder wasn't his actual intention, they were all just collateral damage. TMV was just trying to hurt The Government, and those people just happened to be inside of The Government's building at the time.

--Patrick

I don't think that explosives are a good comparison. Yeah you can kill a lot of people but you won't use an explosive in a heat of the moment scenario. If someone insults you and you want to kill them, you probably won't have a bomb you can just pull out and use. It is possible that you'd have a gun though.

E

Ermac

I don't think that explosives are a good comparison. Yeah you can kill a lot of people but you won't use an explosive in a heat of the moment scenario. If someone insults you and you want to kill them, you probably won't have a bomb you can just pull out and use. It is possible that you'd have a gun though.
We are talking about scenarios involving mass killing of people, not 1,2, or 3 people.

E

Ermac

I think he's stating that mass murder wasn't his actual intention, they were all just collateral damage. TMV was just trying to hurt The Government, and those people just happened to be inside of The Government's building at the time.

--Patrick
Like I said, the reason why he did it is totally irrelevant. I could flip the argument and say he could have killed even more people if his intention was just that, killing people.To my knowledge, no mass shooter in the US has managed to shoot 76 people all at once using only a firearm.

That's some cool Gasbandit levels of misleading posting. You have no idea if those officers shot that man. No idea. You're jumping immediately to conclusions.
Because there's no way he had a gun, handcuffed behind his back, and magically shot himself in the wrong side temple

Why don't we ban cars all together or heavily restrict them? Make people wear helmets, etc. More people in the US die of car accidents than getting shot. Why don't we ban cigarettes? 53,800 people die of second hand smoke every year. Even if we banned firearms, it would not stop massacres. Timothy Mcveigh killed 76 people and he didn't fire a shot. The guy in aurora could have killed everybody with a bomb. And could have killed just as many people if not more. People say a gun makes it easier to kill people. In the middle east they kill just as many people if not more with IED's and other crude explosives. So that argument is invalid. Per capita 100,000 people, other countries that allow fairly easy ownership of firearms do not have the same number of firearms related deaths as the US. In other words, in the US, we kill each other on a much larger scale. It's not the firearms, it's the people. James Holmes is a product of twisted American society. We shoot up people overseas just like how we shoot up our own people in movie theatres.
I don't agree with Charlie on full out banning guns, but don't do this.

Don't do the guns are the same a tools illogical argument. A knife is a tool first and foremost. So is a hammer. A gun has one primary purpose : kill things. Period. If you want to compare and make analogies for gun use, compare guns to other weapons; not tools.

M

Magister Moonie

I built my home by shooting bullets at nails to pound them into the wood How DARE you say they aren't tools.

That reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Homer bought a gun and uses it to do everything from open beer cans to shooting the light out.[DOUBLEPOST=1344208937][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just another semi-related anecdote about the differences in Canadian and American gun culture:
http://gawker.com/5932846/
The gist of it:
American visiting Calgary during the Calgary stampede. He and his wife encounter two men who ask him "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?", which terrifies he and his wife. When they don't respond, the two men ask again "Hey, you been to the stampede yet?". Naturally, according to this man, it's the type of confrontation we should be allowed to carry guns in order to protect ourselves against.
He then writes a letter to the editor to a Calgary newspaper decrying the gun laws that prohibit Americans from bringing their guns north of the border.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/letters/Nose Hill Park confrontation makes visitors feel unsafe/7050028/story.html

North_Ranger

Staff member
Just another semi-related anecdote about the differences in Canadian and American gun culture:
http://gawker.com/5932846/
The gist of it:
American visiting Calgary during the Calgary stampede. He and his wife encounter two men who ask him "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?", which terrifies he and his wife. When they don't respond, the two men ask again "Hey, you been to the stampede yet?". Naturally, according to this man, it's the type of confrontation we should be allowed to carry guns in order to protect ourselves against.
He then writes a letter to the editor to a Calgary newspaper decrying the gun laws that prohibit Americans from bringing their guns north of the border.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/letters/Nose Hill Park confrontation makes visitors feel unsafe/7050028/story.html
I don't know whether I should laugh or face palm...

I don't know whether I should laugh or face palm...
Facepalm, defintitely. Even if the two of them had been drunk and in-your-face and following them, beign a nuisance - would that have been cause to pull a gun on them? No, it wouldn't. The guy's an idiot beyond idiocy for thinking pulling a gun is a good idea at all in such a situation. Of course, in the US, those two guys might've been packing, too...

Facepalm, defintitely. Even if the two of them had been drunk and in-your-face and following them, beign a nuisance - would that have been cause to pull a gun on them? No, it wouldn't. The guy's an idiot beyond idiocy for thinking pulling a gun is a good idea at all in such a situation. Of course, in the US, those two guys might've been packing, too...
No they wouldn't be. Don't be stupid. I've lived in the Philadelphia area for a good 70% of my life. I've been mugged once - in one of the roughest parts of Philly. I still don't see a reason to carry. Why? Because I'm not afraid of everyone and everything, like most gun enthusiasts are. Funny enough, I find that the longer you've lived in a US metro area, the less afraid you are of people than in rural areas (where gun ownership is more common). It's a culture of fear, but it doesn't mean that everyone is packing.

To be fair, if you do a google search on this guy's name, you find A LOT of stuff like this from him. He's a pretty vocal right wing christian.

No they wouldn't be. Don't be stupid. I've lived in the Philadelphia area for a good 70% of my life. I've been mugged once - in one of the roughest parts of Philly. I still don't see a reason to carry. Why? Because I'm not afraid of everyone and everything, like most gun enthusiasts are. Funny enough, I find that the longer you've lived in a US metro area, the less afraid you are of people than in rural areas (where gun ownership is more common). It's a culture of fear, but it doesn't mean that everyone is packing.
I can see how you'd take that ouf my message, but that's not what I meant. I meant what I wrote: might have. In the USA, if you're accosted by a couple of (drunk/aggressive/...) guys in a park, there's a credible chance that they might be carrying a gun. Depending on where in the US, those odds might bze somewhat higher or lower....But they're definitely higher than anywhere in Canada or most of Europe (yes, yes, I'm sure there are regions somewhere between two Inuit where every guy has a gun, and there's Switzerland and Finland and whatever - but I'm, once again, exagerating for effect). Point was that, in the USA, carrying a gun to defend from all those evil bastards carrying guns makes some sort of sense. It wouldn't, at all, in Belgium, and even in Canada, it's rather peculiar and almost all Canadians will look at you funny for even thinking that way.

I remember the last time I ran into anecdotal evidence. It really brought down the atmosphere in the room.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I can't speak for the States because 1.) I've never been there and 2.) that's a huge-ass territory on its own; making generalizations about certain things "State-side" is often as laughable as when our resident Ewok starts saying how everything is "in Europe" based on something that's gotten his ass-fur in a knot this time in the UK or in France. I have, however, travelled reasonably extensively in Europe and I have to say I've never been worried about getting robbed at gun-point. London, Milan, Paris, Rome, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Limerick, Dublin... not a single time. And with the exception of Copenhagen, I've been out and about in every one of those cities on foot after dark (Copenhagen being the exception because I believe I was six or seven at the time).

Heck, the only two times I have been unnerved I can pretty much name off the top of my head:

1.) Taking a bad turn in Rome on our first night there and accidentally walking into a bad neighbourhood, where we (my folks and I) feared being robbed. But other than lack of street lights, there was nothing.

2.) Coming home from a party in Limerick, where while waiting for the taxi I ended up mouthing back to some asshole who drove by and yelled to me and a friend that we were gay. I called him back an asshole, the car stopped and started backing up... I thought "Oh f***, nice going, now you're gonna get beaten up". But the taxi arrived just then and we got away. I was afraid of getting beaten, but never for a second did I consider the guy might be packing heat. Hell, even the bad part of the city was called "Stab City".

Just my tidbits of anecdotes. I will tell you how I found the States in comparison if I ever manage to get there.[DOUBLEPOST=1344519576][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, there was the time when me and some fellow international students were in Dublin and a guy came across us saying "Hey, wanna buy some weed?". But that was in broad daylight, and frankly speaking more hilarious than threatening.

One of the Americans in our group, a young man from DC, actually said that made him feel like home... :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.