[Important] XenForo 1.2 & Other Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a big deal to me. I honestly didn't even notice it until it was mentioned. We seem to be pretty good at keeping the NSFW stuff in the proper forum, so it's not like people are spoilering stuff that will get you in trouble.

GasBandit

Staff member
It has to do with the fact that the spoiler tag is managed using javascript. It looks like that javascript runs after the ads load, so its not "instant" since the ads are pretty slow relative to all the other webpage content.

I haven't checked out the page layout in detail, but it's probably something that can be resolved with some help from whoever designed the spoiler plugin.
Ah, that would explain it... I don't see ads, you see... :whistling:

I haven't seen it. Could also be related to an individual's computer's speed.
It might be more internet speed. When the images are already loaded, it doesn't happen. When it does happen I just see half the picture, then it must finish loading and it goes away.

I don't see ads either. Sorry Dave...

Does this mean that youtube videos still load even behind the spoilers? That defeats the purpose of spoilering them in the video heavy threads.

Does this mean that youtube videos still load even behind the spoilers? That defeats the purpose of spoilering them in the video heavy threads.
I was curious about this before, but if you go to that thread you don't have slowdown problems. I suspect that the past browsers had issues because each one loaded flash video, but now with the latest browsers they are using HTML5 video, so there is no plugin loaded each time.

In other words, we could probably get rid of the spoilers in those threads altogether and people still wouldn't have any slowdown issues.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was curious about this before, but if you go to that thread you don't have slowdown problems. I suspect that the past browsers had issues because each one loaded flash video, but now with the latest browsers they are using HTML5 video, so there is no plugin loaded each time.

In other words, we could probably get rid of the spoilers in those threads altogether and people still wouldn't have any slowdown issues.
It's not as bad as it used to be, but there's still a marked difference in the time it takes to load unspoilered pages of that thread than spoilered pages. Especially on other media sources (such as vimeo) which still invoke flash.

On that second page, now, I do notice spoilers being "open" until the page finishes loading, but it doesn't seem to be long enough to load the whole video... so that basically all it's loading is the few hundred kbyte embedded video player without actually starting to load up the thumbnail/etc of the video it's being fed. I think.

The new spoiler plugin doesn't seem to be as good as the old one, I do see now.

Dave

Staff member
No posts since Sunday. I think we've already lost him.
Last seen Monday. If he does leave it'll be the weirdest reason ever. Well, I guess I can't say that. I've seen weirder. Like the whole clique thing. That was just odd.

If you don't implement an owl-and-ferret-theme, I'm leaving, I tell you! Leaving!

That, or I may be off line for a few days for work :p

I don't think J's gone, he's just annoyed and pouting and he'll be back if/when he wants to. He'll settel on a new style, grumble about it for weeks, and we'll all move on.

If he does leave over this, he's being petty and will be back anyway, or was already tired of this place and looking to leave, and this was just the last straw.

In the end, it doesn't even matter. [/Linkin Park]

I think it's easier to count the departures that make sense, rather than counting the ones that don't.

Let's see... Norris. Icarus (or was it Iaculus?). Kurtz.

Dave

Staff member
Poor Iaculus. It's the forum equivalence of the Aids diet pill. Nothing to do with the disease, but always associated because of the name.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oddly enough I never had problems mixing up the names, thanks to my time in DAOC, having to fight a bunch of these bad boys:

Dave

Staff member
I added the brown theme but it needs a little work. I'll get to it tomorrow. The SHoutbox is ugly and there's some minor CSS issues that I have to hunt down, but it's up.

I also added somethng called Hotspots. You can put stuff on a map! Label it whatever you want! I started with my house (approximately) to show you how it looks. By the way, if you don't want the address to show, just delete it before you submit. But if you are pimping a business, you can certainly include the address.

Looking into the image resizing thing now.

I can't seem to enlarge a spoilered image by clicking on it.
I have the opposite problem. If I click a spoiler, I can see the (minimized) image. If I click the image, it expands to its full size. If I then click the spoiler tag, the page retracts, but only by the amount of the original (minimized) image, and the zoomed huge version stays on the screen, blocking a huge chunk of thread.

I can work around this by remembering to click on the zoomed huge image to return it to its minimized state before I close the spoiler tag.

--Patrick

Dave, I think the CSS you want to insert to fix your problems is

html {
display: none;
}
related, @Dave if you use Chrome there's a useful extension Live CSS Editor that allows you to easily edit the CSS on the fly to see how things look. Two notes on this extension. One, this may be obvious to some, but not others, it does not update CSS on the server, it just layers on top of the cached local copy. Two, this does save changes offline, so if you don't clear it out when you're done you'll keep seeing the changes.

Yes you can do this in the developer tools, but it uses less real estate and loads faster.

I just noticed an odd bit when posting from Firefox -- the text entry box for the message doesn't automatically check spelling.
That is in Chrome as well. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way the rich text editor is defined in the HTML (my guess this is all done in javascript and divs, instead of a text area tag), as spell checking is a browser level feature and if you switch back to the BBCode editor you will get spell checking.
Soooo, @Dave, this is bugging me. I don't want to make you spend a lot of time on it, but perhaps you could send a message to xenforo (or whoever built the editing box if it's a plugin) and ask them to fix it so spell check works?

Right now it doesn't work in chrome, firefox, or iOS. I can misspell any sord of werd and nun of them show squiggley lines beneeth tham.

I'm reluctant to go back to the other editor becuase the editor functionality is gone in iOS - all it has it a textbox and I have to manually type bbcode for spoilers, smilies, and so forth which is particularly annoying since the square brackets require 3 keyboard presses on the onscreen keyboard.

This isn't a showstopper for me, obviously, but spellcheck on a forum is something of a necessity, methinks.

Dave

Staff member
I agree, @stienman. Oh, and @GasBandit, I think the issue isn't XF but the third-party addons I use that are usually the culprit.[DOUBLEPOST=1375999111,1375998993][/DOUBLEPOST]This is what the quick reply normally looks like, but it doesn't allow for buttons to be added - like the spoiler button - which is why I added the TinyMCE addon. It allowed for the custom buttons, but apparently disabled the innate spell checker of the browser. So I'm checking with the addon dev for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.