[Important] XenForo 1.2 & Other Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, Xenforo 1.2 (beta) has been released. Because this is a major point update, it will most assuredly break some stuff. I'm not going to do this for a few days because I want some of the addon devs to catch up, but probably Saturday or Sunday I'll be putting up a notification and doing some updates.

Here's how I am going to run this:
  • Backup site.
  • Put up notification that the changes are going to start.
  • Disable all addons, which will cause things to break, but the forum will remain up during this time.
  • Disable all listeners. You probably won't even notice this happening.
  • Import data to the server.
  • Move data to correct directory. When this happens, I believe that the forum will become unusable.
  • Update software.
  • Once software is done the forum will come back up.
  • Turn listeners back on.
  • Turn addons on one by one and monitor which ones are broken.
  • ???
  • Profit.
I know of a couple of addons that still work with 1.2, but there are several we'll no longer need as they are now core.
One thing Jay will like is that flash uploading can now be turned off in your user panel, so I can turn it on for the site and he can turn it off and not be bothered by it.
There are other things that I'll be telling you about as I get around to it.

Dave

Staff member
Word of warning on this, I do not know if Animate and Social are supported any longer. Blackend is and just released an update, but as to the others...we'll have to wait and see how well they play with the new version.

Dave

Staff member
I'm probably going to have to wait until a specific few addons have been updated. Right now the following I consider to be a "must have" and would be broken:
  • Tapatalk
  • Post Ratings
  • Shoutbox
There are a few more that need looked at as I don't know if they'd break and a few that have fixes in place that I'd have to add. In other words, this upgrade will take a bit more planning.

Dave

Staff member
With the new responsive feature I wouldn't consider tapatalk a must have anymore

That's a fair point, but some use Tapatalk and since I have to wait on a few things already, it gives Tapatalk a chance to update and the users a chance to exercise other options if necessary.

Dave

Staff member
Obviously, I'm hearing a lot of things have become broken with XF 1.2. No, that's not what caused our outage. But I'll probably be waiting until they go gold or at least a better build.

Definitely wait for a GA build. Using a beta for your production server is just asking for trouble.

Dave

Staff member
Definitely wait for a GA build. Using a beta for your production server is just asking for trouble.
The last few times they've done this the betas have been extremely stable. Apparently that was because most people didn't have that many third party addons installed. It's caused a lot of instability that wasn't present before.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, this is a bump. XenForo 1.2 Gold has been released and most of the addons have been updated. So this weekend I'm going to download all of the addon updates, get everything uploaded and do the update. I'll be sure to set up a notification so I don't surprise anyone.

Probably Saturday when I'm bored.

Dave

Staff member
Right now there's only one addon that I can't update.

HalBucks. Which also affects the Stock trader.

Hurm.

That's ok, it's still terribly easy to game. I've been making 10-20% trades daily these last few days with no real effort, and I don't know that anyone is still playing it much lately.

Dave

Staff member
Well, the upgrade is completed but there are already a few hiccoughs in the road. Like the style Animate is not only broken beyond belief, but will NOT be ported over to 1.2 per the dev. Now, I know this disappoints Jay, but I paid $30 for it and now it's just gone. I will be looking for another dark theme for you dark theme guys.

Other than that, I'll be redoing all the addons today so expect things to jump around a bit.

Thanks for your patience.

GasBandit

Staff member
Blackend Blue still works fine as a dark theme. But while spoiler tags function in text, the quick reply no longer has a spoiler button, a slight annoyance there.

Zappit

Staff member
Love the fact that my iPad can access the post tools.

Edit: Posting is a bit wonky. Scrolled up before posting this, scrolled back, and I couldn't type anymore.

Will the information sidebar return to the side, or stay at the bottom? Everything is so much bigger right now. This is all on an iPad, by the way.

Dave

Staff member
What style are you using? 1.2 added responsive & mobile designs. So I may not be able to replicate it easily.

Dave

Staff member
No worries, man. Just got back after a lunch break. Now I'm going to try and figure out how to add that stupid Spoiler button back.

Dave

Staff member
Interesting. Well, I'm still a-working on things. Update played holy hell with my addons and permissions. I'm pruning now.

figmentPez

Staff member
No worries, man. Just got back after a lunch break. Now I'm going to try and figure out how to add that stupid Spoiler button back.
Spoiler tags in general seem to be a problem at the moment. I was going to post in the "What are you playing?" thread and noticed that previous posts with spoilers are just showing as plain text with the bracketed tags at either end, no spoiler box.

Testing to see if a fresh post works.

Dave

Staff member
Hmm.
I thought the new one was supposed to take care of that.
[DOUBLEPOST=1375556567,1375556558][/DOUBLEPOST]But I guess not.[DOUBLEPOST=1375556782][/DOUBLEPOST]
Success?

Well, the upgrade is completed but there are already a few hiccoughs in the road. Like the style Animate is not only broken beyond belief, but will NOT be ported over to 1.2 per the dev. Now, I know this disappoints Jay, but I paid $30 for it and now it's just gone. I will be looking for another dark theme for you dark theme guys.

Other than that, I'll be redoing all the addons today so expect things to jump around a bit.

Thanks for your patience.
Space is an awesome theme!

Noticed some things. If you put any media in a spoiler, it seems to automatically get resized. Also, if you click on an image in a spoiler to see it at full size, you need to click on it again in order to close the spoiler. If you don't and click on the spoiler tag to close it, the image will stay there. Youtube videos continue playing after you close the spoiler, but will stop if you open the spoiler again.

Status
Not open for further replies.