World War 3?

So if I understand right, the basics are that the Ukrainian rebels/Russian Separatists used this rocket launcher without a radar, which would have detected that it was a civilian airliner flying overhead instead of a Ukrainian troop transport plane.

Which, to me, is like giving some five-year-old children a power drill to play with.

So if I understand right, the basics are that the Ukrainian rebels/Russian Separatists used this rocket launcher without a radar, which would have detected that it was a civilian airliner flying overhead instead of a Ukrainian troop transport plane.

Which, to me, is like giving some five-year-old children a power drill to play with.
Alternatively, they fired the rocket and didn't care it was a civilian target, planning to blame the other side for it. Like is happening now.

Or they just didn't know how to read it was a civilian airliner because they only received bare bones training.

Alternatively, they fired the rocket and didn't care it was a civilian target, planning to blame the other side for it. Like is happening now.

Or they just didn't know how to read it was a civilian airliner because they only received bare bones training.
There's no way Russia is going to look at the situation and go "we didn't know what we were doing." That would go against the image they're trying to present now. So even if it was a matter of incompetence, they would still be blaming the other side.

There's no way Russia is going to look at the situation and go "we didn't know what we were doing." That would go against the image they're trying to present now. So even if it was a matter of incompetence, they would still be blaming the other side.
Exactly. Ether Ukrainian Army did it because they weren't trained correctly in their Warsaw Pact weaponry, the Separatists did the same thing for the same reason, or Russia did it intentionally to place blame on the Ukrainians.

In the end though, none of this matters. Even if we can prove the missile came from areas controlled by the separatists or Ukrainians, the front is fluid and narrow enough that it could have just been forces sneaking over to enemy controlled areas to cause an incident. No one is going to be punished for this.

Exactly. Ether Ukrainian Army did it because they weren't trained correctly in their Warsaw Pact weaponry, the Separatists did the same thing for the same reason, or Russia did it intentionally to place blame on the Ukrainians.
And scenario 1 is extremely unlikely because of 1 simple fact: the Rebels aren't flying anything. So there's no "friend or foe" for a Ukrainian missile squad. They literally don't shoot at anything, because there's no reason to until Russia "officially" gets into this fight (which is even more unlikely).

2 or 3 is all that's (reasonably) left.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually, I'd like to know what those phones were, because obviously they're built to last...

Of course, it's not like the manufacturers could use that in advertising. "Our phones are so durable, they'll last through a missile strike!"

And possibly Russia has weapons of mass destruction.

(No, seriously, that's how Russia is trying to play the coverage of this, as if it's another Iraq.)

And possibly Russia has weapons of mass destruction.
What, like this one? Tsar Bomba

As I said before, Putin can and will do anything he wants there, because nobody is going to start WW3 over Ukraine. I believe he could send in the Russian army openly and people still wouldn't militarily intervene. Because he has nukes.

And that's why it's important that aggressive nations don't get them, because nobody is willing to risk going against them once they do. See: North Korea as an example. That is also IMO why Iran would be much more dangerous for the region/world if they get them.

Non-coincidentally: Finland and Sweden to Strengthen Ties with NATO
I'll bet that everybody on that border now wishes they had become full NATO members long ago like Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are. Even now, Russia's still not stupid enough (yet) to overfly actual NATO members.

Just so that everybody remembers, under that treaty, a conventional forces invasion on any NATO member justifies a Nuclear response from NATO allies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just so that everybody remembers, under that treaty, a conventional forces invasion on any NATO member justifies a Nuclear response from NATO allies.
There's a question though about how much of a paper tiger that clause is, especially given that it would be vs a nuclear-capable Russia.

There's a question though about how much of a paper tiger that clause is, especially given that it would be vs a nuclear-capable Russia.
True, but we also have some missile defense systems in NATO leaning countries. It might be enough to deter anyone from pushing a button.

The point is that they know any conventional attack will be met with MAD. Which worked for close to 70 years. Let's hope that keeps working.

GasBandit

Staff member
The point is that they know any conventional attack will be met with MAD. Which worked for close to 70 years. Let's hope that keeps working.
Apparently it hasn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html

Russian troops and tanks. Russian media has changed its story to "Ok, yes, there are russian troops on the ground, but they're all retirees or on vacation, doing what they want on their own, so who are we to stop them?"

And who are they to apparently let them bring their tanks along on vacation, too, I guess.