[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

This is the rest of the internet, too. I don't think I've seen anyone actually praise the show, but everyone seems to be watching it anyway.

I stopped watching when I stopped liking it. I can't understand people watching hours of a thing they no longer like.
(Even after explanations in this thread. There's so little time in each day.)
TBH, watching a TV show is easy. It's a passive thing so you can accomplish other things at the same time. Maybe I just think that way because my attention span is so shitty that if I'm not doing at least 2 things at once, I can't stay focused. :p

I probably like the show so much because I gave up on Martin years ago. I bought Feast for Crows shortly before I went to China the first time, I bought Dance of Dragons in a Shanghai bookstore, and here I am, 4.5 years after coming back from China, and still no book. The show can essentially do whatever the hell it wants and I'm more or less OK, because the books are becoming more or less faded memories at this point. I'd probably be more salty, if Winds of Winter had released a year or two ago and the show was making some major deviations that I was aware of.

I haven't seen season 7 or 8 yet, but...yeah, I'm invested in the characters, I want to know how it all turns out - but it feels like the last two and frankly four seasons are more bad fanfic than good continuations.
The books had some very clear intentions and general ideas. The show goes almost entirely against those in some cases. Yes, inverting expectations and tropes is part of what made the books famous - but the deaths and plot twists made sense, and while shocking, could be looked back on and understood. It made sense that Ned died - we only might have expected him to live because of our of character reasons - he's the protagonist, etc.
Frankly, after the Walk of Shame, Cersei no longer makes sense as the Queen on the Iron Throne, unless as a stooge for someone else - and that's just an example. Her story/role were played out long ago, and she's still around because she's a fan favorite and a big name. Frankly, of the show wants to salvage something on that front, she simply shouldn't get a battle. Dany had killed/conquered more than enough queens, kings, cities. Ultimatum, dragon, done, next please. Of course that's not what's going to happen.

It's actually a Stark family heirloom, a Valyrian steel cup called Thirstquaffer, forged by the most skilled of artisans in the Valyrian Freehold on the eve of the Fourteen Fires, and smuggled to Westeros by one of the earliest Dothraki expeditions over the Narrow Sea. It is one of House Stark's most treasured artifacts, brought out only to celebrate the greatest of victories in battle, partly because of its value and rarity, and partly because ale actually doesn't taste very good when drunk out of a Valyrian steel cup.

Supposedly the same cup was seen on a set photo with Sansa, so maybe an oopsie where she forgot she put in there and no one noticed.

I took it more as him doing the noble dumb thing, like he always does. And then he's going to end up causing people to turn again Dany, and want him on the throne even though he genuinely doesn't want it. And it's literally going to cause a war between himself and Dany.
It's really only stupid if you take him at his word that he fully supports Dany's claim it certainly isn't noble cause he was expressly told not to do it. His decision to spread the facts when he did will only cause death and chaos with no reason for him to do what he did.

But if you look at it from another angle John has turned both Dany's spymaster and her hand against her and all without uttering a word. Which definitely isn't a dumb move since Dany has never been more vulnerable. Her forces are depleted due to a strategy created by John that threw away her calvary and her infantry. All with no way of replacing them since she doesn't hold any seats of real power.

It's really only stupid if you take him at his word that he fully supports Dany's claim it certainly isn't noble cause he was expressly told not to do it. His decision to spread the facts when he did will only cause death and chaos with no reason for him to do what he did.

But if you look at it from another angle John has turned both Dany's spymaster and her hand against her and all without uttering a word. Which definitely isn't a dumb move since Dany has never been more vulnerable. Her forces are depleted due to a strategy created by John that threw away her calvary and her infantry. All with no way of replacing them since she doesn't hold any seats of real power.
You are thinking about this too hard. The main trait of all male Starks is being stupidly noble, whether or not it's a terrible fucking idea.

Bran does not count, because the only thing actually left of Bran at this point is his body.

You are thinking about this too hard. The main trait of all male Starks is being stupidly noble, whether or not it's a terrible fucking idea.

Bran does not count, because the only thing actually left of Bran at this point is his body.
1. Jon isn't a Stark
2. What he did is in no way a noble act.

1. Jon isn't a Stark
2. What he did is in no way a noble act.
1.) His mother was a Stark and he was raised by Ned, yes he is.
2.) Neither was Robb marrying that girl instead of honoring his treaty with the Freys. Jon saw lying to his family as wrong and couldn't do it.

1.) His mother was a Stark and he was raised by Ned, yes he is.
2.) Neither was Robb marrying that girl instead of honoring his treaty with the Freys. Jon saw lying to his family as wrong and couldn't do it.
1. In this episode he explicitly rejected being a Stark.
2. I don't think you have too much of a leg to stand on that marrying the woman you got pregnant would be an honorable act in Westeros. And I think that if Jon considered himself a Stark or Ned Stark his father it wouldn't be lying to call Sansa or Arya his sisters. That was literally what Arya was doing in the godswoods.

Now by the show you're probably going to be right. Jon Snow will continue to fail upwards due to the actions of others. His betrayal of the queen he pledged himself that plops his butt on the iron throne nothing more than a random act of conscience. Cause that is what GOT has become. But I'll hold my head cannon close.

Am I the only one who wants to see some go Indiana Jones on Daenerys when she starts reciting her name?

(Full disclosure: I bailed sometime before the Red Wedding)