[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Less about the show and more an aside, but I was reading an article today where someone was telling the story of him trying to find an old childhood friend. He couldn't figure out where he was because his name was common, then he remembered something....

"And then I remembered a crucial detail: Petey's middle name was Stark. This was enough to refine the search"

My brain : "Pft nothing good ever happens to a Stark!"

Three sentences later.

"He had apparently been bludgeoned to death with a hammer. "

Oh... okay then... Thanks Brain.

I feel underwhelmed by something that should have had me excited. I'm really not looking forward to the rest of the season at all.

Yoooooooo what the hell, y'all?

Ok for real what the fuck.

Like.

Ok first of all a whole lot of no one died. I mean sure Theon was a big hit and Lil lady mormont was sad. Otherwise it was just culling the herd a little. How the hell did Sam live through that? RIP J-bear though. Ya fought for not ya girl till the end.

Oh and Ghost better be alive as fuck. I'll trade Sam, Gilly, and a Lannister of your choice for Ghost.

Arya with the Ninja kill was kinda dope. Like, fuck your prophecy. She'll just stab the problem and save literally everyone.

Still though, for as big as it was there was just no way to make it all satisfying given the build up. Like I don't really care about the rest. Cercie will probs die and we'll get the bland middle of the road mostly happy ending.

RIP night king. You were the Snoke of the show. I really wanted to know anything about you but you had to die like a punk.

Game of Thrones is a series where any character can suddenly die, no matter how major or minor, and no matter how important they were in past storylines, or how important they will be in potential future storylines.

Though I am surprised that applies to the big bad end boss too.

So they went with option A. Woah. Seriously that feels like a big letdown.

I understand that Cersei is the more "known" and "established" villain as she was put in that place for 8 seasons.

But remember when GoT started? The very first scene is a group of Night's Watch beyond the wall running into Wrights and all but one getting killed. It setup that there was this dark evil in the north, and every season this was pushed that all the squabbles south of the wall were nothing compared to the dark, unstoppable threat that loomed ever closer. The last season ended with the Night King knocking down the wall, showing that shit was about to get real, and... then it's over in the third episode so we can do back to the "Everyone Hates Cersei" hour?

As fun as the episode was, and as much as I loved watching Arya shine, it really felt like another "Snoke Moment", only worst because this was built up over 8 seasons and was part of it's fabric from the start, not just two movies in a successor trilogy. It would be like if Sauron died the first ten minutes into Return of the King so we can focus on beating up Denethor, it just... it loses something.

I will still likely watch it till the end, but I ain't happy this is the direction they decided to push the final episodes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Rather underwhelmed that the big bad of the series went out like a bitch after only taking out a handful of C-listers and Ser Friendzone. I agree with Frank and ScytheRexx. TV show writers got scared and went for the safe, textbook ending. Why did they even bother killing off Ned in season 1? I know, I know... if they didn't kill off somebody that GRRM killed off, the book fanboys would have rioted.

Dave

Staff member
People made a drinking game out of it. When someone big named died they'd take a shot. Everyone went home sober.

I dunno, we have invested a lot of emotion in Cersei, the zombies not so much screentime.

Sort of the old Voldemort vs Umbridge scenario, we're supposed to be afraid of Voldy, but since we can relate to Unbridge we hate her so much more.

Dave

Staff member
I'm on board with the whole "Night King should have flown South to King's Landing" thing. Would have been so much better.

I think the Night King in this not so much Snoke as Darth Maul*; yeah, he was over-hyped, but he did do some serious damage before he went. The North has been devastated by his march. While not enough of the main cast died for most people's taste (and yeah, they did play it awfully safe for GOT), they are still seriously hamstrung. The Night King planned for all their strongest attacks. Dany and Jon were practically useless from his storm, and are now possibly down to a dragon and 1/2. (No word yet on poor Rhaegal.) We've got, like, no Dothraki left, a handful of Unsullied, and a smattering of Northerners. Arya's Eowyn moment worked for me because everyone was focused on the epic portions of it, including the Night King who was focused on Bran, and no one was looking for the little girl with no magic, no dragons and no soldiers. She was able to use this to her advantage because everyone who was supposed to be a threat got their asses handed to them.

But I'm not totally shocked or let down that the Night King turned out to be a Macguffin. To me at least, Game of Thrones has been more about the people than the fantasy setting, and the Night King was a serious threat, but not really a character. The endgame has to focus on the throne and the shitty things people do to each other for power.

(*Not counting Solo.)

Some general thoughts

I can accept a lot because this show has always been about taking the established trope and turning it on its head. Jon's journey has been the classic heroes journey for the most part. To have him constantly battle this great evil army of darkness and then to essentially lose and be saved by his little sister seems really fitting with everything else.

It's weird though because it almost feels like it's subverting itself? Like all these southern houses have their squabbles over the iron throne and ignore the bigger picture. That's also been the running theme of the story. Except that the army of the dead didn't need a mighty army of united mankind to stop it...just one opportunistic assassin.

No one south of the twins will ever know that they were |---| this close to a horrible death.

Also what the fuck is Bran's purpose? Does he have one? Is that another thing? Like we expect him to be the great powerful wizard kinda thing but he's actually just a crippled kid with magical internet access who just watches videos all day? Aaaaaargh.

And I can't tell if it's brilliant or lazy