[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Highlights

That's SER Brianne to you, jackass

The guy who got freaked out because Arya was throwing dragongoass daggers a few feet from his head

Pod got some pipes and I don't mean the dong for once

Theon just needs 20 good men...

Who's that white doggo?

Lowlights

Ok so how deep into it are they? Would you call it helms deep?

Hi, I'm Jamie. I've tried to kill you all at one point or another. I tried to kill Dany like, 2 weeks ago. Anyway pretty weird I'm going to die defending winterfell, huh? By the way we're all going to die. Wonder why moral is so low?

So...so we're ignoring that th night king has a dragon, right? Like... Let's leave Bran outside and hope that undead hellfire doesn't rain from above? Ok. Good plan.

Jamie: we should watch our flanks
Bre: yeah we could maybe push them back if we're careful
Nightking: why the hell would we ever fall back? We don't get tired. We don't get cold. We don't do anything but kill in a forward moving direction. But yeah, ok, we might fall back for ...reasons? Sure thing.

Is anyone else concerned there's going to be a slaughter in the crypt once the Night King's like, "hey, get up and fight for me, ex-Starks".
On the other hand, Sean Bean cameo? No, wait, he doesn't have a head...

Is anyone else concerned there's going to be a slaughter in the crypt once the Night King's like, "hey, get up and fight for me, ex-Starks".
I'd assume that for most there wouldn't be enough left to reanimate? Like I'm not sure if he can do just pure skeletons. The ones that ambushed them outside the cave of the 3 eyed Raven were kinda close though I guess, so who knows?

Still, I'd wager they may only get a handful of them. Probably not worth the time it takes to do the spell during a battle.

GasBandit

Staff member
The fact that they're not already up and around means there's some kind of limiting distance factor. It's not entirely clear to me how close the Night King has to be for a wight to rise, after all, Nightwatchmen were rising right at the wall when the Night King was far to the north. Maybe it's a line of sight thing? I don't know. And who knows, maybe the writers will make that foolishly brave little girl have her time to shine by poking with an obsidian dagger as the dead scrabble up from the ground.

Anyway, aren't the Stark dead under, like, REALLY heavy stone caskets? Heh.

Dave

Staff member
People have been pushing back against the "squicky" feeling, saying that "She's 22! You guys are just prudes!" No. I've "known" her since she was a little girl. She's more like a daughter or little sister. So she's 22. So what? My daughter is 25. I know she has sex. My niece is 23. She has sex. I know this. I STILL DON'T WANT TO WATCH IT!

GasBandit

Staff member
People have been pushing back against the "squicky" feeling, saying that "She's 22! You guys are just prudes!" No. I've "known" her since she was a little girl. She's more like a daughter or little sister. So she's 22. So what? My daughter is 25. I know she has sex. My niece is 23. She has sex. I know this. I STILL DON'T WANT TO WATCH IT!
Plus, to be frank, she still looks 14.

TBH the ONLY thing I care about for this entire season
Is that Jamie and Brienne kiss before they both die horrible tragic deaths

Ok so episode 3 speculation

If we look at this battle at face value, its going to really be the one and probably only battle against the dead. Either Winterfell gets overrun and everyone dies or they fight off the night king and the army of the dead is defeated. Obviously since there are 3 episodes after that we can assume at least some important people live. But if the dead get defeated in one battle that's super anticlimactic.

A theory I read is that the Night King won't actually be at the battle. He'll actually fly South to attack and conquer Kingslanding. He'll start killing and raising the dead to keep killing and raising the dead and badda Bing badda boom have a million+ strong army.

Evidence:
1) Jamie was defeated at the whispering woods via a similar tactic by Rob. He'll be able to recognize what's happening and let them know.
2) Bronn is heading north on Cerci's orders to kill Jamie and Tyrion. He could deliver info that Kingslanding has fallen.
3) we didn't see TNK on his dragon at the end of ep2. If they really wanted to give the full effect of "we're fucked" they would have shown that.
4) It fits with the idea that petty infighting is stupid. Ep2 was all about enemies and different people coming together and putting the past aside. Cercie did not get that memo and is still playing the game of thrones. It would also serve as the ultimate reminder to Jon and Dany to not worry so much about the iron throne.

Other speculation:

So far every major battle has been decided by one side having a big advantage, only to be wiped out by a surprise 3rd army.

Battle of Blackwater was going to go for Stanis but then the Renly army showed up

Battle for the wall would have gone to the wildlings eventually but Stannis showed up

Battle of the bastards would have gone to Ramsay but the Vail showed up

So who will show up for the battle of Winterfell?

Option A) Nymeria and her pack of wolves. Fits the situation and since we have seen them, not totally out of left field. Sure the big pack hasn't really been mentioned that much like in the books but that's not a huge deal

Option B) Army of Reighlor red priests. Totally out of left field but totally awesome. Reighlor is the enemy of the great other, right? The red religion is totally about defeating this army of the dead. So Melisandre shows up with a bunch of Holy Fire weilding clerics busting shit up with flaming weapons and fucking holy fire in hopefully the form of god damn Hadokens. Added benefit of giving Davis closure with either making amends with Melisandre or by killing her. Super less likely but I'm throwing it out there.

Option C) reverse it all. Humans are totally going to win but then new army of undead Lannisters show up.

Ok so episode 3 speculation

If we look at this battle at face value, its going to really be the one and probably only battle against the dead. Either Winterfell gets overrun and everyone dies or they fight off the night king and the army of the dead is defeated. Obviously since there are 3 episodes after that we can assume at least some important people live. But if the dead get defeated in one battle that's super anticlimactic.

A theory I read is that the Night King won't actually be at the battle. He'll actually fly South to attack and conquer Kingslanding. He'll start killing and raising the dead to keep killing and raising the dead and badda Bing badda boom have a million+ strong army.

Evidence:
1) Jamie was defeated at the whispering woods via a similar tactic by Rob. He'll be able to recognize what's happening and let them know.
2) Bronn is heading north on Cerci's orders to kill Jamie and Tyrion. He could deliver info that Kingslanding has fallen.
3) we didn't see TNK on his dragon at the end of ep2. If they really wanted to give the full effect of "we're fucked" they would have shown that.
4) It fits with the idea that petty infighting is stupid. Ep2 was all about enemies and different people coming together and putting the past aside. Cercie did not get that memo and is still playing the game of thrones. It would also serve as the ultimate reminder to Jon and Dany to not worry so much about the iron throne.

Other speculation:

So far every major battle has been decided by one side having a big advantage, only to be wiped out by a surprise 3rd army.

Battle of Blackwater was going to go for Stanis but then the Renly army showed up

Battle for the wall would have gone to the wildlings eventually but Stannis showed up

Battle of the bastards would have gone to Ramsay but the Vail showed up

So who will show up for the battle of Winterfell?

Option A) Nymeria and her pack of wolves. Fits the situation and since we have seen them, not totally out of left field. Sure the big pack hasn't really been mentioned that much like in the books but that's not a huge deal

Option B) Army of Reighlor red priests. Totally out of left field but totally awesome. Reighlor is the enemy of the great other, right? The red religion is totally about defeating this army of the dead. So Melisandre shows up with a bunch of Holy Fire weilding clerics busting shit up with flaming weapons and fucking holy fire in hopefully the form of god damn Hadokens. Added benefit of giving Davis closure with either making amends with Melisandre or by killing her. Super less likely but I'm throwing it out there.

Option C) reverse it all. Humans are totally going to win but then new army of undead Lannisters show up.
I doubt they're going to defeat the NK and the army of the dead in the third episode, so I think Option C is the most likely one.

I think that Winterfell will repulse the army, and we will have two episodes of denouement. We will have two episodes of mopping up the undead and the Lannister forces. And the bittersweet endings of who lives and dies.

Most of what is said lined up with my own feelings. My predictions...

A) The dead lose at Winterfell, and then the rest of the season is the north fighting Cersei in the south. This to me would be super anticlimactic.

B) The dead win at Winterfell, forcing the survivors back at King's Landing where they have yet another last stand. I don't really see this happening, as it means pretty much everyone in the north dies minus a handful, which would make the Red Wedding seem like a jubilant affair.

B) The attack on Winterfell is a diversion to prevent them from knowing the direction the main force is going, and the Night King uses it to go south and take King's Landing. Cersei, because she is a coward when she knows she isn't at the top, will flee the city with whatever group of survivors escape. Once again it goes back to a fight for the Iron Throne, only now the Night King sits on it. Cersei will later go mad and maybe try to sell out the survivors to the Night King for her own safety, only for Tyrion (or Jaime if they want to really drive home their estrangement) to strangle her to shut her up.

Honestly, I have a weird feeling we are going to learn the Night King is actually a Targaryan. The whole point of Game of Thrones is, well, to get the Iron Throne. The Night King was always the one that seemed like he was doing his own thing, but what if the Iron Throne was his goal all along too? Maybe he was a Targaryan, that much like Samwell Tarly, was forced to the Night's Watch so that he wouldn't be able to claim his birthright. While roaming north of the Wall something happens and he is transformed into a White Walker. He spends the next several decades stealing kids to transform into more White Walkers, while building his army of the dead. He now rides south not to purge the living, but to reclaim his birthright as he always dreamed, and now the rest of the season is the survivors trying to retake King's Landing.

It sure would lead to one hell of a fucked up family reunion in the Red Keep when Dany, Jon, and the Night King are all together for what I imagine will be the final showdown for the Iron Throne. As an aside, wouldn't it be hilarious if during a fight with the Night King, Dany someone dislodges one of the swords from the throne itself and stabs him with it? Just me? Okay. :(

I loved that short scene with Sandor and Beric on the battlements. They were just sitting there passing a wineskin back and forth. Even the Hound needs a friend.

Most of what is said lined up with my own feelings. My predictions...

A) The dead lose at Winterfell, and then the rest of the season is the north fighting Cersei in the south. This to me would be super anticlimactic.

B) The dead win at Winterfell, forcing the survivors back at King's Landing where they have yet another last stand. I don't really see this happening, as it means pretty much everyone in the north dies minus a handful, which would make the Red Wedding seem like a jubilant affair.

B) The attack on Winterfell is a diversion to prevent them from knowing the direction the main force is going, and the Night King uses it to go south and take King's Landing. Cersei, because she is a coward when she knows she isn't at the top, will flee the city with whatever group of survivors escape. Once again it goes back to a fight for the Iron Throne, only now the Night King sits on it. Cersei will later go mad and maybe try to sell out the survivors to the Night King for her own safety, only for Tyrion (or Jaime if they want to really drive home their estrangement) to strangle her to shut her up.

Honestly, I have a weird feeling we are going to learn the Night King is actually a Targaryan. The whole point of Game of Thrones is, well, to get the Iron Throne. The Night King was always the one that seemed like he was doing his own thing, but what if the Iron Throne was his goal all along too? Maybe he was a Targaryan, that much like Samwell Tarly, was forced to the Night's Watch so that he wouldn't be able to claim his birthright. While roaming north of the Wall something happens and he is transformed into a White Walker. He spends the next several decades stealing kids to transform into more White Walkers, while building his army of the dead. He now rides south not to purge the living, but to reclaim his birthright as he always dreamed, and now the rest of the season is the survivors trying to retake King's Landing.

It sure would lead to one hell of a fucked up family reunion in the Red Keep when Dany, Jon, and the Night King are all together for what I imagine will be the final showdown for the Iron Throne. As an aside, wouldn't it be hilarious if during a fight with the Night King, Dany someone dislodges one of the swords from the throne itself and stabs him with it? Just me? Okay. :(

So, about the Night King: I'm not going to spoil this because it was last season (or maybe the season before) and anyone this far into the thread that's that far behind has only themselves to blame.

We already know the origin of the Night King. He was one of the first men, captured by the children of the forest thousands of years ago and turned into the first of the white walkers because the elves wanted to create protectors against the men that were cutting down their trees. Obviously this didn't work out too well when the white walkers turned on their creators, which was the event of the long night.

Sadly, this predates the coming of the Targaryens to Westeros by quite a long time, so that theory doesn't quite shake out :p

Was it actually confirmed that guy was the Night King? I thought the flashback was specifically just about how the white walkers came to exist, not specific that said dude in the flashback was the Night King. The books hinted he was once a member of the Nights Watch.

Either way they can always tie in other ways he may want the throne.

Dave

Staff member
I also think it would be funny if the Night King DID attack Kings Landing and was coming north with a huge army of the dead. The camera pans the army and in the very back is Cercei, just another dead thing shambling along, her fine clothes tattered and her crown still sitting on her head.

I also think it would be funny if the Night King DID attack Kings Landing and was coming north with a huge army of the dead. The camera pans the army and in the very back is Cercei, just another dead thing shambling along, her fine clothes tattered and her crown still sitting on her head.
While that would work on some levels - "ignoring the big picture for your own small gains doesn't pay off", "you can't take it with you", etc - I'm not sure that would be fitting enough an end for her. Far more so than in the books, in the series she's really been the big bad able to get away with everything with hardly any repercussions. I'm tempted to say she's worse than Bolton in the "can get away with anything even though it wouldn't make any sense in-universe for her to overcome/survive" kind of bad guy by now. Frankly, her role was pretty much played out after Tyrion left for Dany, and KL should've been in someone else's hands a long time ago.

If the NK is attacking KL, I'm going to have to assume he's doing it alone, on Viserion, because it stretches plausibility that he'd be able to march an army all the way down to KL without anyone noticing.

Dave

Staff member
If the NK is attacking KL, I'm going to have to assume he's doing it alone, on Viserion, because it stretches plausibility that he'd be able to march an army all the way down to KL without anyone noticing.
  1. Anybody who could notice is either dead or holed up in Winterfell.
  2. Jon & Dany are obviously not sending the dragons out for scouting. They had no idea the army was at their fucking doorstep until they were told.
  3. Time means nothing in this show. According to HBO time, the main army could go down to King's Landing, sack the place, then be back to Winterfell in a day or so.

1. Anybody who could notice is either dead or holed up in Winterfell.
  2. Jon & Dany are obviously not sending the dragons out for scouting. They had no idea the army was at their fucking doorstep until they were told.
  3. Time means nothing in this show. According to HBO time, the main army could go down to King's Landing, sack the place, then be back to Winterfell in a day or so.
Fair enough.

Did you watch the last season? TIMEY WIMEY