Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... Have you considered not clicking that thread?
Have you ever considered that hitting "New Post" and having 4 spam threads constantly having come up, and constantly having to click the "mark all forums read" just to remove them is a pain?

I responded the same way when certain people were crying about "Ignore Person" thread. "Can't you just, not read the post?" and I was met with rebuking left and right.

Yeah, we established that before Dave. I was just responding to those who still didn't "get it".

Btw Dave, how's that WoW theme coming? :troll:

Have you ever considered that hitting "New Post" and having 4 spam threads constantly having come up, and constantly having to click the "mark all forums read" just to remove them is a pain?

I responded the same way when certain people were crying about "Ignore Person" thread. "Can't you just, not read the post?" and I was met with rebuking left and right.
You really don't see the difference, do you?

There is no difference. You don't want to deal with posts you deem annoying, I don't want to deal with threads I deem annoying. Both of us could just skip over the post/thread and just keep doing it the hard way, but both of us want an easier way to deal with it. It's not like when you put someone on ignore, they suddenly don't exist and noone talks to them. All you're doing is preventing yourself from seeing one person's part of a larger conversation. Same with ignore thread, it's not like ignoring it means it doesn't exist and all I'm doing is preventing myself from seeing one threads part of a larger forum.

Wait, there is a difference: You got your option. I'm still waiting on mine.

Late to this party, but the topic came up earlier in this thread for a "promote to front page" function (if it exists in xenforo), and I like this idea very much.

What I like about HF is that when I want to not look for pop-culture stuff and just "see what's out there", I can come here and there's a solid chance that people will be talking about it.

I'm also in the "there are far far worse places on the Internet" camp. I agree that we could be less confrontational with new folk, but to describe this place as "caustic" is a tad bizarre to me.

Are you guys worried about growing this place or keeping the new blood who do actually show up? They're complimentary, certainly, but they're not the same thing.

I mean, maybe all that's needed is incentive. My suggestions is that we turn Nick's Prom Night into an ARG.

A thread doesn't passive aggressively attack you. Generally. This is how it is different, I think.

As I already said, if it could be done, I'd support it for you guys. I just don't see how you can equate the two as the same.

A thread doesn't passive aggressively attack you. I just don't see how you can equate the two as the same.
Because you're not being "attacked". They're text words on a screen. It takes a really thin skin to let words from a complete stranger you've never met really get to you.

ElJuski

Staff member
Is it really that awful to say it would be nice not see a bunch of threads I don't want to participate in on the What's New tab? IS IT REALLY THAT WRONG

Is it really that awful to say it would be nice not see a bunch of threads I don't want to participate in on the What's New tab? IS IT REALLY THAT WRONG
No, that's not awful. I totally get that justification and desire. I just don't think it's the same as wanting to ignore particular posters is all.

Shegokigo , I have to agree on Krisken on this one. People tend to react very differently from one another in certain situations, yes it is easy to belittle it, it really is but respectfully it is what it is and we should be considerate regarding that.

I do think we are losing focus on what is the point of this thread however. This debate is old and has been beaten soundly to a pulp. It's been acknowledged many a time but nothing can happen because that option simply doesn't exist right now. It it was, I'm sure it'll be incorporated into the forums but alas the forum maker is having lawsuit issues and development has slowed down the last few months. It's nothing to be afraid of as they should normally win the lawsuit but this change could have been seen recently if they weren't too busy dealing with that problem. All I do hope is Dave keep pushing for that change sooner rather than later.... but once again, I repeat, this is not the cause of whatever this thread was started for.

I think Dave can provide us with more clarifications as many opinions have been given over the last few days, I'm sure it would help one way or another.

And I'm sorry makare :)

You're right and wrong. I react differently than having to deal with spam threads than others. They react differently to posters they can't deal with. It's the same to me.

Dave

Staff member
There is a way to have threads promoted to the front page, but that takes an addon that we currently don't have...and it's one that has known issues with the arcade. But, I've talked with Ame and Zappit, who are currently working on a front page redesign and we're planning a conversation on Tuesday about it to see what our options are.

You're right and wrong. I react differently than having to deal with spam threads than others. They react differently to posters they can't deal with. It's the same to me.
Well if it helps I'm not going to say you have a 'thin thread skin' and tell you to get over it. I'd like to improve your forum experience and give you the option to do so if I could.

Dave

Staff member
Oh, and one last thing...there IS a way to prevent BOARDS from showing up in What's New, just not individual threads. I have two ideas about this but they both have varying degrees of suck and they would apply to everyone and not just those who don't want to see them.

Well if it helps I'm not going to say you have a 'thin thread skin' and tell you to get over it. I'd like to improve your forum experience and give you the option to do so if I could.
See, if I cared about what someone thought of me online, that'd bother me but it doesn't. Has nothing to do with "not being able to handle it" in the case of threads, it's just simply annoying having to press extra buttons over and over to not see the thread. Your solution for your problem is push one button once.

ElJuski

Staff member
I mean, don't cock up the forums for the option. Shit is fine how it is. It just would be a nice little trinket to top on to everything.

See, if I cared about what someone thought of me online, that'd bother me but it doesn't. Has nothing to do with "not being able to handle it" in the case of threads, it's just simply annoying having to press extra buttons over and over to not see the thread. Your solution for your problem is push one button once.
Ok, have fun with that.

What does that even mean? If you didn't have a valid counter point, why bother posting at all other to incite a response like this?

This is exactly the shit Dave is talking about. You and others act like it's us "trolls" who openly attack others except we actually use points and counter points to get our ideas across when it's people like you and others who purposely incite comments by being snide and off-handed for no reason but to drag the feeling and conversation through the dirt. I don't deny that some of us "trolls" can be crude when we do it, but I guarantee that Jay/Mathias/Myself have given more constructive criticism than you self-back patters and "group in a corner whisperers".

If you don't care, why are you pushing the point so much? He already told you he'd agree with implementing ignorethread if it were available goddamit.

They're very separate points, obviously.
The way I'm seeing it is that Krisken wanted to have the last word. He's not an idiot and he's not going to feign innocence like Charlie. He didn't really intend for Shego to have fun with that. He didn't want her to have any fun at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.