Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If new people come, the feeling of the forum will likely change, because new people will bring new personalities. Some, not all, of the regulars here will find that kind of newness uncomfortable. So what do people want? A vibrant (and unpredictable) community, or a comfortable place to hang their hat? There may be some happy medium, but attaining it probably requires some precision in community management that is unrealistic. If people mostly want to fling the doors open and draw in new faces, you need a "product" to catch their attention, probably in the form of some kind of (community generated?) artistic content. It could be webcomics, webisodes, a podcast, serialized fiction, or something else altogether.

So, which is it? If it we become a content provider, who will step up to provide it?

I don't like the idea of becoming just a cosplay forum.

I like just...coming to shoot the shit, you know? If we can rounf up comics or arts peices or articles that would be cool. I just like coming here to hang out.

I think the idea of focusing on any one theme is a bad idea. Even if it does bring in new membership, and even if people who are currently members and don't like or don't care about that specific theme stick around for a while, you run the risk of eventually alienating those members as the population becomes more and more heavily weighted toward whatever the theme is and those members eventually start to feel that nothing they contribute matters because it has nothing to do with the theme.

We, as a forum, don't need to be about any one thing. That's one of our characteristics. For every poster that more or less lives in the Gaming forum, there are those who never visit. Some focus on art, others forget we even have an art forum. People discuss sports and politics, MMOs, TV and movies. But we are not about any one of those things, and I think trying to focus is a mistake. We have some excellent artists and cosplayers, but we don't have to be an art or cosplay forum to appreciate what we have. Perhaps general conversation forums are not what they used to be - and that's fine by me. This is a weird-ass little community that is self-selected.

edit: ninja'd by Gared

I think the closest thing we get to a "theme" is "Halforums: Kind of about pop culture but kind of not". Because really thats probably about as close as we are gonna get. I like the idea of beefing up the cosplay thing, I mean, it's a draw for folks but I'm with those who have said that we, as a community need to work on being welcoming.

Gas maybe you didn't like whoever. Maybe other people didn't. Whatever. Thats fine. We can still be reasonably polite. That doesn't mean hippie hugs people, just not being a giant dick to someone who just walked in the door. Now, that in NO WAY means that if some crazy person comes here and starts acting like a nut job that we have to put up with it or that people can't be sarcastic or joke around/pick on their friends. Those are all parts of life.
We are a group of nerdy/geeky people who overall enjoy our little community and the things we discuss. This is good.

It's also a good thing to grow a bit, new blood is a good thing. That means NOT being jerks to new people and maybe cutting back on the behavior that folks have brought up in this thread.

Maybe if we think a bit before we get aggressive with someone or we consider how our "joke" will be taken by the person with 1 post we can cut back on that acidic feeling that goes around from time to time. Again: Not hippie hugs, just not being giant dicks. To me thats healthy and a little more grown up that just bashing someone every time they post for whatever reason.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas maybe you didn't like whoever. Maybe other people didn't. Whatever. Thats fine. We can still be reasonably polite. That doesn't mean hippie hugs people, just not being a giant dick to someone who just walked in the door. Now, that in NO WAY means that if some crazy person comes here and starts acting like a nut job that we have to put up with it or that people can't be sarcastic or joke around/pick on their friends. Those are all parts of life.
I was nothing but civil to him, and had conversations with him multiple times. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt the same "you know, I just don't connect with them" feeling.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were mean to him, just making the point that if a few folks didn't care for the a member they don't have to drive them off.
In fact lets use you as the example. You didn't like a new person and you didn't act like a giant dick to them.

Everyone be like gas.:Leyla:

Another idea might be a blog-zine, for reporting nerdery around the intertubes. This group is remarkably tuned into many aspects of our society (even around the world) including politics and pop culture and it shows in just how quickly that news percolates to the forums. A little polish and some links to sources and you have a Halzine that is basically just formalizing what we're doing here anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another idea might be a blog-zine, for reporting nerdery around the intertubes. This group is remarkably tuned into many aspects of our society (even around the world) including politics and pop culture and it shows in just how quickly that news percolates to the forums. A little polish and some links to sources and you have a Halzine that is basically just formalizing what we're doing here anyway.
That's an idea. We already have threads for things like funny pictures or nifty articles... we could just turn that into submitted content that goes on the front page, kinda like a cheezburger affiliated site.

I dunno, that seems like a lot of work to go to above and beyond the initial act of making the threads and then posting in them. If there were some add-on out there, or maybe if someone wanted to write a news aggregator script for the front page, so that people didn't have to double up their work manually, that could be cool. I'd offer to throw something like that together, but I wouldn't know the first place to start.

GasBandit

Staff member
I dunno, that seems like a lot of work to go to above and beyond the initial act of making the threads and then posting in them. If there were some add-on out there, or maybe if someone wanted to write a news aggregator script for the front page, so that people didn't have to double up their work manually, that could be cool. I'd offer to throw something like that together, but I wouldn't know the first place to start.
Seems to me that's almost something we could make a feature request of to xenforo. A checkmark box or button to "submit this post for front page consideration."

I think posts can be placed onto the front page. They just might need to be a little less casual than we usually do. Dave could speak more to the mechanics of it.

I just want to get my comic back on track. :( This gallery show ends this weekend...so I should have time again!

HOORAY!

Edit: Not that anyone cares/reads it. :p

I don't think we really need more moderation. We're all adults, I think if anything a pm from a mod asking someone to back off a bit would be all we need. Sometimes a mod posting in the thread just fans the flames more. What would help the most is when someone does get upset about another users comment about them, we don't just turn to "lol u mad?" and keep poking them or telling them to grow up. We don't have to hold each others hands and pretend to like each other. Just try to recognize when people are genuinely hurt and back down a little. It goes both ways though. A lot of times the person who's offended jumps right to personal attacks, and that shouldn't be glossed over just because they weren't the one to start it.

As far as content goes, no idea.

S

Soliloquy

I like this aggregate/put posts on front page idea-- have some sort of system set up where you submit a topic for consideration, and if the original post is high-quality enough, it gets put there. Maybe have some sort of caveat saying that putting a post up for front page consideration gives admins the right to edit the original post for grammar/spelling/quality control issues.

This way, we get to keep being dicks, and yet be dicks with a purpose!

Halforums: Dicks with a purpose.

I agree with Gas and Null, which I don't think has ever happened.

Are mods allowed to voice opinions in here? Cuz Lordy I got me some and I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into text just now.

Are mods allowed to voice opinions in here? Cuz Lordy I got me some and I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into text just now.
I think you should. You guys are some of the key members of the community, and I think your opinions would be important for that reason alone.

I agree with Gas and Null, which I don't think has ever happened.

I sure hope so or I'm about to get fired. :Leyla:

I come here because of you guys. I've been around this group since 2005, I believe. I come to read news on pop culture, I come to read the opinions of the people here on it, I come to take a seat in the bleachers at the arguments, I come to see the funny pictures and memes, I come to joke around about stuff, I come to join in on the teasing, because A LOT of the time, it IS innocent teasing.

That's how I am with my IRL friends, my family, my wife. I tease to show affection. That's how my dad has always been and it's something I inherited from him. It's how I am and it's not going to change. The only people I've been outwardly hostile too since we left Image were Mav and Charlie. Even the stuff I said to makare was just teasing, though I admit I went too far at times and we had a PM conversation to mend things over.

I do think some people are too harsh and others are too sensitive. I've seen people be hostile without provocation and I've seen people get very upset over nothing. Who's in the wrong?

I do think some people are too harsh and others are too sensitive. I've seen people be hostile without provocation and I've seen people get very upset over nothing. Who's in the wrong?
Thats really the thing, no one, people are being people. All of us have put our foot in our mouth at one point or the other, we've all said something dumb or hurtful and sometimes it's been on purpose while other times it's been innocently done.
People who can't handle people being people will not survive here or Facebook or myspace or anywhere on the web or in real life. We can't worry about those people.

Here's what we can do: People can cut back on hostile things. I know, I know, people are just "joking around" not "being a giant dick" but it doesn't make a difference when it's just perceived as being a jerk to a new person. Lets think about that a little. That doesn't mean don't have fun or not get in arguments or not being sarcastic or not posting a face palm pic, it just means be an adult and think a bit before you post.

1.) We don't need a theme beyond the front page. Most people are going to first see the site from there, not the forums.

2.) There IS a toxic atmosphere, where certain individuals are able to get away with murder because they are ether close friends with the mods and Dave or get the pass based entirely on them being here a long time. This needs to stop: No one can or will stand up to them without knowing the guys and gals in charge will back them up if it's bad enough. Not saying we need to start banning people, but suspensions should be popping up more often.

As per the OP's request, I won't name names, nor go into great dramatic details but we've ALL in the wrong here, including myself.

What can be changed? Personally, I'd like better moderation regarding thread hijacking, that's what irritates me the most. As already stated countless times before it's hard enough to deal with the countless spam threads we got here but when interesting threads get hijacked off course by those same exact people I get a bit snippy myself and I know for a fact I'm not the only one. I'm not asking people to be whipped with bamboo sticks by the mods though at times that thought may release some frustration after watching a thread you posted an epic post not get the attention it deserves because someone posted some HERP DERP and got the attention of others who will post more HERP DERP to ultimately HERP DERP the thread to oblivion.

A recent positive thread about posting who you feel are your favorable posters was hijacked in this way.

Anyways, we can go on and on about who does what, how I feel about so and so..... but we're all humans, we're never going to get along with one another, personalities clash, everyone has different priorities and interests and everyone reacts to things/"jokes" differently..... none of this will achieve results.

You want results, I get it and respect you now more than ever after taking this strong first step that I've been hoping to see for awhile. If a primary cause is wanted, I wouldn't go towards personal interest or hobbies. We're simply too diverse for that. Some people like cosplay (I do certainly like looking at it), some people like games, others like politics.... everyone likes different things so pushing for a primary interest isn't going to work. Just like pushing for comics....

What about simply about what we are at some level or another? Nerds, Geeks, Dweebs, Goober... etc. Personally? Make the forum more geared towards accommodating this type of person with a variety of interests with maybe the main page have some sort of RedFlagDeal idea where awesome tech nerd stuff can be shown off the front page (even if we don't sell it but direct people to awesome deals?) and how certain tech news is awesome with some nerd coverage. We could have certain posters get some primetime off the main website with a news segment on it where it links to specific threads in the forums, such as an update to the cosplay sections or game deals of the day, sweet deal at so and so for light saber umbrellas etc.... the possibilities are definitely there.

As for the passive aggressiveness on the forums, it's always been there. It's just.... bolder now. As far some new posters.... sometimes they.... try to hard... you know? I'm too jaded to give them the time of day. Some others may react to them with hostility. Some other posters integrate better with us... why? Simply because they may not be trying too hard.

Yeah... we're terrible people.

1.) We don't need a theme beyond the front page. Most people are going to first see the site from there, not the forums.

2.) There IS a toxic atmosphere, where certain individuals are able to get away with murder because they are ether close friends with the mods and Dave or get the pass based entirely on them being here a long time. This needs to stop: No one can or will stand up to them without knowing the guys and gals in charge will back them up if it's bad enough. Not saying we need to start banning people, but suspensions should be popping up more often.
I would take some issues with this. We've given out many warnings, people have gotten temp-bans, etc. Believe me, you guys don't even see half of what we do/have done.
However, we do look pretty strongly for obvious breaking of the official rules. People giving each other shit or making a snarky comment doesn't break our rules. It's just part of life. I'm not saying it's a good thing but people are going to be people no matter where you go and the "you need a thick skin" argument has some merit here. Thats not an excuse for people being assholes to someone mind you.

I know how to fix everything. Either we make emoticons mandatory or we all speak like the elcor from Mass Effect, stating the nature of the comment before the comment's contents.

As for front page content: posts from the Game Deals thread, cosplay thread, webcomic appreciation thread, and any content generated by the people here.

S

Soliloquy

How often do people report, anyway? I haven't reported anyone since I came back. Because maybe that's a simple problem of people not taking the time to report people?

Or maybe it's the problem of the behind-the-scenes stuff being TOO behind the scenes, so people don't see web justice at work and assume that everyone is getting away with everything?

Or perhaps we're exaggerating the whole thing?
I agree, but IF a person has a problem with another person's behavior, the Report button is at the bottom of every post.

When someone's been temp-banned, it appears above their avatar. We don't need it to be announced as News above the main forum page.

I don't know anyone who people won't report. I don't think anyone here has immunity.
People will report, and report, and report. And that will be the end of that. Because short of murdering babies, everyone knows the banhammer doesn't exist if you're an old timer. "Been here forever" should not give people carte blanche to shit all over everyone else.

OTOH, at least 3/4 of the time when a thread gets particularly snippy, it's the same two or three posters telling the other group of two or three posters that they aren't liked, and vice versa. The end result is me putting another thread on the list of those not worth my time anymore, which is why I don't post as much as I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.