Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will report, and report, and report. And that will be the end of that. Because short of murdering babies, everyone knows the banhammer doesn't exist if you're an old timer. "Been here forever" should not give people carte blanche to shit all over everyone else.

OTOH, at least 3/4 of the time when a thread gets particularly snippy, it's the same two or three posters telling the other group of two or three posters that they aren't liked, and vice versa. The end result is me putting another thread on the list of those not worth my time anymore, which is why I don't post as much as I used to.
Do you report?

I come here for the nerdy discussions and for better or worse I enjoy you all. Now I am not saying that certain people don't get on my nerve but it has never been enough to keep me away. Although I do agree we need some fresh blood and we need to get them to stay and one way is to not attack the new people so harshly or at least try to be more considerate of them but at the same time I don't think we should shield our personalities completely or else we would change so much that we would not be he same place that we love and stick around for.

To clarify on reports: Some months we get LOTS of reports. Some months we get very few. Sometimes we get reports about things that are totally legit and obvious rule breaking, sometimes we get really weird reports or reports about someone making a very obvious joke. I'm not saying we deal with them perfectly but we do our best. Reports come from a wide variety of folks too and not always whom you might suspect.
As for ban hammering.... yeah, we don't really do that it's true, although it's not always because we don't want to. It's usually a very heavily discussed thing amongst all the mods/admins. We don't take that stuff lightly.

Read Espy's reply. Says it all, really. Why bother?
Espy's post was that sometimes they get real report-worthy stuff and sometimes they don't. And that they aren't ban-happy, they take it seriously.

By reporting nothing, you are not alerting them to what you have a problem with. Complaining with doing nothing.

On the one hand, I think temp-banning is a good way to send a message without permanent damage.

On the other hand, too much of it can discourage even the old hat from coming back if they feel they're not allowed to speak.

Espy's post was that sometimes they get real report-worthy stuff and sometimes they don't. And that they aren't ban-happy, they take it seriously.

By reporting nothing, you are not alerting them to what you have a problem with. Complaining with doing nothing.
I guess I wasn't clear. It's common knowledge if you've been here long enough, sanctions will be nothing more than a brief finger wagging. Or at least that is the perception. It's easier for me to just ignore certain threads because of that.

Let me add... I get far more smiles out of this place than frowns. Especially since I stopped stumbling into GB's politics thread. :D

I recall, back when HF was first getting started and we were discussing the rules we should set, we came to a general consensus that a good guideline would be "don't be a dick."

I like this guideline, and I think it's not too much to ask. Some members of the board take pride in how big a dick they can be. I would prefer some effort was made to rein in such behavior.

M

makare

I report when I feel it is warranted, but I do have to admit I don't feel it has ever done any good.

The "problem" with this forum, as much as any forum, is that tone is practically impossible to convey in text. What can seem like an obvious joke to 90% of the population can be taken the wrong way by one person, and it creates a shitstorm that swallows an entire thread for days. Even something as simple as telling people to calm down and not take things so seriously is an affront to people who would rather take everyone seriously as a showing of token respect. Different expectations of forum culture end up clashing, and people say a lot of stupid things that they don't really mean just as a sense of one-up-man-ship or some sense of self-enjoyment.

As for what the forum should be about? More than anything, now, it's about the people that are already here. If new posters like "us", they're more apt to stick around. If not, they won't. The down side to that is that many around here pounce on new people almost immediately and give them the third degree about anything they think about until they find a weakness or two, and look to exploit it for fun or what they consider harmless ribbing that most regulars have become accustomed to. Unfortunately, new folks can often find that abrasive or overwhelming, and they go elsewhere or stop coming here all together.

So what's the solution? Maybe we could agree to back off the newbies for a while. Maybe we could make a policy that new folks should spend more time lurking and less time posting until they get the feel of the place, similar to how PA's Social Entropy forums work. Maybe Gas is right, and the next generation of online persona is no longer interested in forums at all, and they've adapted to texting and newer social media to communicate with the public at large. That doesn't mean that this place doesn't have a purpose for the rest of us in the forum generation that have been here and continue to be here for the people here.

By us, for us. That's the point. If that's not good enough, then maybe this isn't the place for you. And that's ok, because the rest of us are still here, and you can find us here if you like.

ElJuski

Staff member
I think everyone's taking this all way to seriously, and there is way too much panic set to 11. But I'm also pretty sure that everyone is dancing around just flat out saying what a huge prick I am, too. So it goes. But you know what would be so much better? If people that had some sort of issue with me, or whoever, about really being a dick, instead of dicking around on the internet because I'm not stuck in a classroom with sixty different gang-bangers all day, would be to just send me a line. Because, and speaking from what I assume is the "toxic" portion of the forum, I think I've gotten like, one, from somebody who sent me a private message. And we took care of it from there. Not saying it ended well :p but saying that, yeah, that was the better way to go about it, instead of herpderping that bullshit.

So, I say, if you have a problem with somebody, report it, PM them, talk it out. I think if more people took up arms and bitched at me full force through a PM they'd probably see either an apology, an argument, or a slight understanding that there's no ill will at all.

I think that might be the greatest disconnect here, and perhaps even a potential solution: the SERIOUS and PERSONAL gets mixed in with the HEY JUST MESSING AROUND on this forum. Obviously my message is usually off-key, but I think more people are being actually personally vicious at me, and I've just got smiles the whole time. What would happen if your cordoned off a section of Halforums beyond General that was for the serious shit? Or vice-versa, had a sectioned off place where the kiddie gloves are off?

Well, either way, you guys will make your decisions, or the forum will continue to organically change as the users and the content of the users see fit. You're not going to please everyone 100% of the time, so whatever you do, just stick to your guns. You'll lose new users and old guard either way. Do what makes the majority happy, and stick with it. Otherwise this place comes off as desperate for every little extra bit it can snag onto.

ElJuski

Staff member
This is little ironic, since I think the "tone" of panic cannot be effectively conveyed through text, so open to some interpretation.
Well, yeah. But I interpret "panic" more to, there's a three-page discussion where it's implied that Halforums is like, self-destructing.

EDIT: I also don't think there is any exploitation of new users. There is ribbing, and making of fun, and some sort of internet initiation, but I don't think these guys are getting gutted and crucified. There are way, way worse places on the internet.

Eh, I don't even really think we're imploding, personally. Plenty of people have talked about something more like entropy, which isn't all that panic-worthy. The ones claiming this place is toxic or hostile are probably overstating it, but I don't see them being the majority.

ElJuski

Staff member
True. Can't argue with that. Either way, I think my post still stands.

EDIT: God, I take one weekend off from drinking and end up sitting around discussing internet forum usage and protocol.

I think everyone's taking this all way to seriously, and there is way too much panic set to 11. But I'm also pretty sure that everyone is dancing around just flat out saying what a huge prick I am, too. So it goes. But you know what would be so much better? If people that had some sort of issue with me, or whoever, about really being a dick, instead of dicking around on the internet because I'm not stuck in a classroom with sixty different gang-bangers all day, would be to just send me a line. Because, and speaking from what I assume is the "toxic" portion of the forum, I think I've gotten like, one, from somebody who sent me a private message. And we took care of it from there. Not saying it ended well :p but saying that, yeah, that was the better way to go about it, instead of herpderping that bullshit.

So, I say, if you have a problem with somebody, report it, PM them, talk it out. I think if more people took up arms and bitched at me full force through a PM they'd probably see either an apology, an argument, or a slight understanding that there's no ill will at all.
I do not direct this at you personally, Juski, I'm saying it in a general sense.

There is a third option, beyond "contacting the offending party" and "herpderping around", and that's to simply stop visiting the forum. If new (or old, for that matter) forumites find what they read here to not be to their tastes, what do you think they're more likely to do? PM the people offending them? Or close their browser and forget our URL?

So, I would personally prefer if people didn't act like dicks. Even if a person believes that other people have a way of responding to your dickery, be it through PMs or notifying a mod, that shouldn't give this person free reign to be a dick.

I would also like to note that I don't believe the solution is heavier moderation. Dickery can be highly subjective and dependent on context, which would make moderation very difficult. This is up to the forum populace, to self-regulate and to make it clear that dickish behavior is something to avoid.

ElJuski

Staff member
And I know this will go on deaf ears, but seriously, when did people start taking everything so personally on here? I'm more than likely the one that's lost the true insight to the forum and these people, but as far as my posting is concerned, I've never done it with anything but out of fun and interest (or you know, actually stimulating conversation, yikes, I'm admitting that actually happens here).

In fact, in my honest opinion, I feel there is much more of a constant whiplash against my posts. Can't hardly get a word out sometimes without the pitchforks coming out, because I made a joke. So yeah, perspective had by all, but I also think the people getting offended need to step back and consider what's actually going on.

Also, I added my signature for posterity. And I am committed to following through with it for any of you dorks that happen to stumble into the DC metro area.

In fact, in my honest opinion, I feel there is much more of a constant whiplash against my posts. Can't hardly get a word out sometimes without the pitchforks coming out, because I made a joke. So yeah, perspective had by all, but I also think the people getting offended need to step back and consider what's actually going on.
I can safely and honestly say that I didn't have you in mind with my post, Juski. I think you've been pretty upfront that you aren't being serious with what you say most of the time.

ElJuski

Staff member
And for the record, I don't want (for once) to make this about me. But I think I speak on behalf of a handful of posters that basically do the same thing I do. But it's also good to know that I'm also not some horrible hell-beast. Unless you're the group of people that still think I am :p

But really, for those of you guys that have issues with me, PM me about it. Let's hash it out. We'll either call each other names or come to an understanding! Sure beats getting emotional with animated gifs.

And I know this will go on deaf ears, but seriously, when did people start taking everything so personally on here? I'm more than likely the one that's lost the true insight to the forum and these people, but as far as my posting is concerned, I've never done it with anything but out of fun and interest (or you know, actually stimulating conversation, yikes, I'm admitting that actually happens here).

Also, I added my signature for posterity. And I am committed to following through with it for any of you dorks that happen to stumble into the DC metro area.
Again, not directing this at you personally, Juski.

Old forumites may know people are just kidding around, but newer users may not. As noted already, tone and intention can be hard to express in text form, especially if someone posts a short quip. Something they think is witty, but someone else might not, if they don't know the reference or the background or the quirks of that particular poster. And even older posters may, one day, decide their sense of humor isn't a good match for this place, and decide to stop visiting.

This isn't an issue of being thin skinned, either. This isn't weeding out the weak, or culling the herd. People, as a general rule, don't enjoy what they perceive to be incivility, and so they take the path of least resistance, which is to leave. You don't have to be thin skinned to decide to not do something you don't enjoy.

Let me use myself as an example. I like to act like a pervert, though I make it a point never to hit on other forumites. Let's say someone posts a picture of a cartoon character in a swimsuit, and I immediately post a long list of things I'd like to do to that particular cartoon character. Forumites who know my antics might just shake their head and go, "There's that Bhamv again," but a new poster might read my post and find it creepy, and decide this isn't the forum for them.

So, basically, it goes back to what I said earlier. We should try to self-regulate, show some restraint, and try to imagine what others would see when they read what we post.

For the record, we get tons of reports. Maybe a tenth of them are actionable, and most of them are for spam.

I agree, and it happens with a lot of posters. It didn't matter what Charlie posted, he'd always get railed on by someone. If someone bothers you that much, you can always ignore them.

ElJuski

Staff member
Again, not directing this at you personally, Juski.

Old forumites may know people are just kidding around, but newer users may not. As noted already, tone and intention can be hard to express in text form, especially if someone posts a short quip. Something they think is witty, but someone else might not, if they don't know the reference or the background or the quirks of that particular poster. And even older posters may, one day, decide their sense of humor isn't a good match for this place, and decide to stop visiting.

This isn't an issue of being thin skinned, either. This isn't weeding out the weak, or culling the herd. People, as a general rule, don't enjoy what they perceive to be incivility, and so they take the path of least resistance, which is to leave. You don't have to be thin skinned to decide to not do something you don't enjoy.

Let me use myself as an example. I like to act like a pervert, though I make it a point never to hit on other forumites. Let's say someone posts a picture of a cartoon character in a swimsuit, and I immediately post a long list of things I'd like to do to that particular cartoon character. Forumites who know my antics might just shake their head and go, "There's that Bhamv again," but a new poster might read my post and find it creepy, and decide this isn't the forum for them.

So, basically, it goes back to what I said earlier. We should try to self-regulate, show some restraint, and try to imagine what others would see when they read what we post.
First of all, you don't have to say you're directing things at me personally. I know.

Why is it okay then, though, for someone to all be "perving" and "joning" isn't? What's to say that people aren't seeing all these half-naked cartoon women and saying this site isn't for them, versus people making jokes at one another?

But seriously, sure, what this forum probably actually needs is a "How I'm Going to Be a Better Poster" thread. Which I'll go ahead and make right now.

ElJuski

Staff member
I agree, and it happens with a lot of posters. It didn't matter what Charlie posted, he'd always get railed on by someone. If someone bothers you that much, you can always ignore them.
You know why I have Charlie's back all of the time? Because he can't even say something half the time without the forum bagging on him harsh. Way more harsh than what I've seen happen to new users.

I agree with that completely. Charlie can't even express an opinion on something without three people reporting him for trolling.

ElJuski

Staff member
I wanted to do an experiment where I basically took a Charlie post, set up an alt, let the alt say it, and see if the alt would get run out of town like Charlie always gets.

I'm going to stick with "tone is impossible to convey in text and someone is undoubtedly going to take it in the worst way possible and run with it if they can".

You know why I have Charlie's back all of the time? Because he can't even say something half the time without the forum bagging on him harsh. Way more harsh than what I've seen happen to new users.
I agree, but I think he played a little too coy a lot of the time. Charlie has a tendency to make big claims but then not really discuss them. Around here it is like teasing the dogs with a treat and only pretending to throw it. Stil, he didn't really earn some of the harsh words he was given.

ElJuski

Staff member
I'm not saying the guy doesn't have really...individual opinions, or a way with words, or that he's completely innocent. I'm just saying that's why I got his back.

Why is it okay then, though, for someone to all be "perving" and "joning" isn't? What's to say that people aren't seeing all these half-naked cartoon women and saying this site isn't for them, versus people making jokes at one another?
It's not okay. That's the point I was making. My behavior would be simply dismissed by an experienced forumite who knows my antics, but could easily drive off a new poster.

Which is also why I've toned it down recently.

I think Gas hit the nail on the head on page one.

I think there could be a few things to maybe help extend the life span of the forums. Content, as most have stated, is lacking. None of the comics update anymore, which is too bad because I liked some of them. Forum content seems to be lacking these days as well. Aside from the game of thrones or the goblins threads, I don't really care much about any of them because those are the only ones where it seems like we're actually having a discussion.

Personally, I don't think things have gotten "too mean" or anything. The only mentality that I think needs to change is the bullshit about how the ignore list is for cowards or whatever. If you have that much of a problem with someone, just put them on ignore if even for a little bit. Only once so far has it even been apparent to me that I was missing out on something someone on my list had said. It just looks like they haven't posted in a while, and you don't even actually notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.