Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do, however, apologize for allowing myself to go into something which is off topic. Sorry Dave, I will try to keep from doing so in this thread in the future.

Dave

Staff member
Oh! Can you kindly elaborate on that?
The two ways to do this would be to either:

1. Set up a sub-board for forum games. Make this sub not show up in What's New. Problem with this is that it would be largely unused. We'd put some forum games into it and then nobody would go there because even those interested wouldn't be able to know when there's an update.
  2. Change the What's New so that it doesn't see the prefix [Thread Game]. But it has the same thing as above.
Now, I'm thinking there may be another answer to this that I didn't think of until writing this very post. It's ugly but it would work.
  • Create a sub board called Thread Games.
  • Add this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/join-user-group-by-waindigo.225/
  • Make it so that only those who join the User Group could see the Thread Games. This would prevent the sub board from showing up for those who did not join the group. It's what I was thinking of doing with the NSFW board. Google spiders can't join the group so they wouldn't see it.
Only issue with that way of doing it would be that new people and guests would not be able to see the forum games threads.

Hold on, I've reached master "Troll" level now? I'm being compared to the likes of Shegokigo and Mathias? Wow, I used to be a forum fluffer like Quotemander Prime but I took a Chaz to the knee. Now look at me, a top 3 villain, one of the four horsemen, le mechant cuisinier francais.

I'm still hoping Dave's got some time to elaborate on those options. I'd be pretty excited to hear.

Also, I know why this thread was created as these issues have affected more people than simply Yoshi. It's unfortunate because I really liked the other poster and hope they do come back. Sadly, some people are thin skinned but we need to be kind and apologetic when we cross the line. Sometimes simply chatting on the forums isn't enough to know a whole lot about them, when I chat with people on Vent, they are pretty surprised that I'm not.... well... what they think I am.

Communication is important, another suggestion maybe more Vent nights would be cool. "Late Night at Halforums!" Those were fun.

Since I came from the old PvP Forums onto Halforums I see us a group of friends and that may be the way some of the other posters see us too and as such are hostile to the new posters because they aren't "old school" Hell they are even hostile to me and I think that is mainly because I don't post very often in the forums (or because I'm a perv, one or the other). I'm not saying that we need a Golden Rule, Rule, but the members need to follow a Golden Rule at least for the newer members.
When it comes to content, it seems that yeah we make webcomics, etc and people get excited about them (at least I liked them) but then after a few days everyone stops updating everything and then the home page is static again and doesn't change for another few months.

Create a sub board called Thread Games.
  • Add this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/join-user-group-by-waindigo.225/
  • Make it so that only those who join the User Group could see the Thread Games. This would prevent the sub board from showing up for those who did not join the group. It's what I was thinking of doing with the NSFW board. Google spiders can't join the group so they wouldn't see it.
Only issue with that way of doing it would be that new people and guests would not be able to see the forum games threads.
This is a great idea Dave!!!! However, what about doing the reverse of this?

What about a group can request to join this group and not have to see "Forum Games".

I think that would be more practical.... and the work load for staff should be small, only need to edit posts to have that prefix and a way for us to report it to be changed in case it's forgotten? Create a "Request to join group" and voila?

*prepares to get down on his knees to do his duty....*

I like the option of having a Thread Games subboard. Any Thread Games would get moved there by a mod if created elsewhere.

Like Krisken, I am doing this as a kind soul with nothing to gain from it. Not because I just ignore those threads, but because I don't even use the What's New thing.

What if you left up a banner that pointed out those threads exist for people to join? A bot wouldn't be smart enough to recognize it, but new users would. Of course I say this without having the slightest clue about the technical side of this forum.

Hold on, I've reached master "Troll" level now? I'm being compared to the likes of Shegokigo and Mathias? Wow, I used to be a forum fluffer like Quotemander Prime but I took a Chaz to the knee. Now look at me, a top 3 villain, one of the four horsemen, le mechant cuisinier francais.
I might have been a bit hasty, as you're easily not as "hateful" or "spiteful" when you respond to threads like the "My husband pays more attention to his car than me" thread, but you are a bit more brutish when giving advice. However, that's the key point. You give positive advice, albeit sometimes wrapped in a bit of gruff.

S

SeraRelm

I gotta say, I'm on the "if you don't want to see it, don't look at it" side of the fence with this. It's not hurting anyone to have it there and you can ignore it if you don't like it. I also don't venture into some of the other sub-forums much at all. Is it really that bad with spam?

I might have been a bit hasty, as you're easily not as "hateful" or "spiteful" when you respond to threads like the "My husband pays more attention to his car than me" thread, but you are a bit more brutish when giving advice. However, that's the key point. You give positive advice, albeit sometimes wrapped in a bit of gruff.
That was amongst my best works. I may... have scared that poster away though.

For that I'm sorry.... but.... she deserved it.

Dave

Staff member
Wasn't there something about staying on topic and not calling specific people out?
There was. Unfortunately after a bit of time I stepped out for a bit and lived my life. I could go back through and delete those posts, but none of them have been particularly mean spirited.

I gotta say, I'm on the "if you don't want to see it, don't look at it" side of the fence with this. It's not hurting anyone to have it there and you can ignore it if you don't like it. I also don't venture into some of the other sub-forums much at all. Is it really that bad with spam?
I'm completely with you on this Sera, I look at "What's New" and don't click on most of it. I will read some threads and never leave a post because there is nothing I can add and/or something I don't want to get involved in. I can't say I've seen much in the way of "spam" threads, but I usually just use the email "So-and-so responded in this thread" emails and go straight to what I'm watching. I have never felt a compulsion to post in every stinking thread on the board... here. I kinda did every few months when the old Image PvP thread was still there but not there.

M

makare

The only time I was concerned at all with the existence of a thread was the not so funny pic thread. And that was only because for some reason when I opened up all the threads I wanted to look at it, it would come with it (I was inadvertently clicking on it.)It was scarring me for life...

Seeing as how my clicking fingers have gotten their act together and I am not clicking on it like a monkey, I am perfectly fine with the existence of all threads.

There was. Unfortunately after a bit of time I stepped out for a bit and lived my life. I could go back through and delete those posts, but none of them have been particularly mean spirited.
That's because I'm biting the bridle.

Seriously, there's so much to say to some very deserving individuals and for the betterment of the forums I bite my tongue.... alot.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, I've made the following changes.

• I added that mod.
  • Made the "NSFW Viewer" and "Thread Games" user groups.
  • Made a Thread Games sub forum.
  • Made the Thread Games forum only viewable by those who are a member of the "Thread Games" user group.
  • Made the NSFW forum only viewable to those who are a member of the "NSFW Viewer" user group.
  • Made the Thread Games group ON by default but you can opt out.
  • Made the NSFW Viewer group OFF by default but you can opt in.
By the way, if you do not see the subs then the threads therein do not show on your "What's New". So if you opt out of the Thread Games sub, the threads there won't bother you. Everyone wins.
Changes I will be making:
  • Moving Thread Games threads into the correct subforum and am thinking about turning off HB accrual in this sub. Haven't decided yet.
  • Will be merging ALL threads in the "Introduce Yourself" subforum into one thread and moving that thread to general using the title "Introduce Yourself". Then blowing away the Introduce Yourself sub.
Am I missing anything?

So... you check mark to be able to see forum games? What if it's set by default so that people can simply opt out instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.