Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Anyone else have a coworker who thinks their daily minutia is the Most Fascinating Thing?

And it's always the person who is the most boring individual in the company?

Probably length of needle or it moved around inside you. If it doesn't subside get in to make sure you don't have internal bleeding.

Sending hugs along with it.

You know what's worse than dealing with angry clients when you haven't done anything wrong?

Dealing with angry clients when you have, in fact, screwed up. :(

It had to happen eventually.

--Patrick
It was such a small thing too. It was a translation for a scientific test report. The result of the report was negative, but we accidentally put positive instead.

This is the Chinese character for negative: 阴
This is the Chinese character for positive: 阳

And because I glanced over it a bit too quickly, and missed this one single error by the translator, the conclusion of the English version of the report ended up being the complete opposite of the Chinese version. This is, of course, an unforgivable mistranslation and the client is justifiably angry. All I can do is own up and say, "Yes, we got it wrong, yes it was my fault. Sorry about that."

It was such a small thing too. It was a translation for a scientific test report. The result of the report was negative, but we accidentally put positive instead.

And because I glanced over it a bit too quickly, and missed this one single error by the translator, the conclusion of the English version of the report ended up being the complete opposite of the Chinese version. This is, of course, an unforgivable mistranslation and the client is justifiably angry. All I can do is own up and say, "Yes, we got it wrong, yes it was my fault. Sorry about that."
Yeah, I've had to do a double take once or twice at a Chinese hospital when I got medical reports back. Talk about mood whiplash.

Did this result in thousands of end users letting the magic smoke out of their products?

I don't wanna go back to work.

Three weeks of stuff that probably hasn't been done, three weeks of crap that's probably COMPLETELY different than when I last worked, and three weeks of e-mails and other crap that I gotta go through.

Oh, and I'll bet that my password has expired, too.

Yippee, parenting milestone: we took Li'l Z to the ER for the first time tonight. He slipped after his bath and hit his head on the sink, splitting open the skin right next to his eye. Thankfully, a little skin glue and a bandage and we were back in business.

I'm kind of surprised I was the calm one during all of it, and Mr. Z was the one freaking out. I always thought it would be the other way around. Although I did get a little squicked when Li'l Z kept trying to stick his finger in the wound. :eww:

My state's attorney general who helped shut down my school and left me stranded in limbo won the Democratic nomination for the Senate seat she's running for. Which means she's all but won the position because Republicans haven't won that seat in decades.

Glad my crushed future was worth her political power grab. :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member
The family reunion is this weekend.

I don't wanna go.

I've been feeling more distance growing between the rest of the family and myself over the last few years.

Maybe that's more reason I should go.

But I don't wanna blow the weekend on it. It sounds really petty and self-centered, but there it is. This thing is always a hassle. Best case scenario maybe saturday (after the 3 hour drive to get there) I'll play a game of Risk with cousins I only ever see at the reunion, and the rest of the trip will be spent making smalltalk with octogenarians - mostly about other extremely elderly relatives who passed over the last 10 years. Then all of sunday will consist of cleaning the place up to leave, and then the 3 hour drive home.

Gah. I gotta go, though. My grandfather already asked if I was going last week and I said I was, so I can't bail.

fade

Staff member
I've tried to start 3 conversations today in which the other party has acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. That's really getting annoying.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, what's this? A card? At work? Someone appreciate my....

... wait, this isn't a card... this is...

AAAAAAAARRRGGHH

babyshower.jpg

I just spent the last four and a half hours trying to get through to our pay department.

Each time I call the 1-800 number is a gamble. 9/10 times I get a busy signal. The one time that I get through I then have to gamble again when I pick an option. Over a three hour period, I got hung up on every time I chose an option except for the last time where I was on hold for one hour and three minutes just to talk to a snippy bastard who acknowledged that my request was super easy to complete but that even though it's been in the system three weeks, it still isn't urgent.

RAMPAGE!!

Settling down for the night ... and there goes a mouse zipping away from where I keep the rats. No doubt enticed by all the stuff they kick out of the cage.

Though male rat urine is awful, it had the benefit of keeping mice out of the apartment i.e. the boys' territory. This is the third mouse we've had since we got girl rats.

I've set out the capture traps in the usual places, so I expect I'll have the little bastard before next week, but it's still annoying.

Just culled my friends list on FB (considering deactivating it now), I'm tired of being the one to strike up conversations or invite people to events while rarely having the favor reciprocated; it's becoming a draining task. It's a really poor substitute for day to day actual interaction with people which is what I want and need right now. Ah well, real life is more interesting anyways. :)

So, we had a four day weekend here in Taiwan. It was nice and relaxing. A good change of pace that allowed me to recharge my batteries and get back into a good mentality for work. I went in early today, to get as much work done as possible. I had a good feeling about the upcoming week.

(cue deluge of angry emails from clients about a variety of stupid issues)

nemo.png

I didn't sleep last night and I'm about to go to a school picnic. No sleep + pain + 135 kids + immune suppression drugs = longest hour of my life recently. I love my babies though and I promised them I would be there.

GasBandit

Staff member
The family reunion is this weekend.

I don't wanna go.

I've been feeling more distance growing between the rest of the family and myself over the last few years.

Maybe that's more reason I should go.

But I don't wanna blow the weekend on it. It sounds really petty and self-centered, but there it is. This thing is always a hassle. Best case scenario maybe saturday (after the 3 hour drive to get there) I'll play a game of Risk with cousins I only ever see at the reunion, and the rest of the trip will be spent making smalltalk with octogenarians - mostly about other extremely elderly relatives who passed over the last 10 years. Then all of sunday will consist of cleaning the place up to leave, and then the 3 hour drive home.

Gah. I gotta go, though. My grandfather already asked if I was going last week and I said I was, so I can't bail.
The reunion last weekend was exactly what I predicted, except it was Skip-bo, and not Risk.

Also, we were subjected to the destructive flailing of a 3 year old cousin-something-removed who never uttered a single articulate word the entire weekend, but rather ran from misbehavior to misbehavior while yammering incoherently. My uncle brought a large amount of pecans from his orchard, the feral child grabbed the box and before anyone could react he flung them into the fireplace (not lit, but still dirty). Then, as his mother tried to salvage what she could, he wharrgarbled his way across the room to the piano to start banging on the keys as hard as he could with a wooden block. A great aunt tried to intercept him, but he was completely unreachable by any verbal means - the only thing that got any acknowledgement from him at all was spanking, and even then that only made him squall loudly until he was released and could go right back to finding something to destroy. This sort of thing persisted almost every waking moment. The only time he was ever quiet or still was when his mother put a Minions video on a tablet and put the tablet in his hand... and he'd just sit there watching it, over and over, for as long as he was left with the device. It was like an off-switch, like those videos you see of what cats do when you put a clip on the scruff of their neck.

I was close to asking if he had some kind of learning disability or if he acted and spoke (or rather, didn't speak) as he did because of constant exposure to Minions videos had convinced him language was simply random syllables from which context was extracted by way of inflection and body language.

I felt sorry for the mother of that solipsistic little godzilla.

Last edited: