Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

That new screen can't get here soon enough. Apparently this partially-damaged screen had some ruptured cells in it, because over the last 24 hours a black blob has spread across it from that color bleed in the upper right corner, and now it's completely illegible across the whole screen. At least the touch part still works so I can do things like shut off alarms by remembering where the buttons to do that are, or invoke the google assistant to tell me how much battery power is left.

Also glad I switched to Google Fi as my provider last year, because that lets me make and receive calls from any of my computers, and as long as my phone is on, I can use Google Messages on same computers to text.

But man, I'm also pissed at google that they pretty much designed the pixel intentionally so that the only way the battery could be changed is to destroy the screen.
I'm pretty sure most phones are designed in a way to make battery changes nigh impossible these days.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure most phones are designed in a way to make battery changes nigh impossible these days.
I know it's outdated now, but my LG3 had a battery case cover, and it was easy :mad: One of the things android fanbois used to mock apple fanbois for was their ability to swap out batteries and keep going. Google keeps just getting worse and worse, but there's nothing better out there >_<

I know the reasoning behind it is the universal clamor for longer runtime, because an "embedded" battery can be made out of more actual battery custom-fit to maximize the amount of battery that can be stuffed into a device, but yeah you figure phones from any mfr should be designed with the idea that accessing this one part you know is going to eventually need to be replaced should be possible without having to destroy other parts of the device to get to it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I know the reasoning behind it is the universal clamor for longer runtime, because an "embedded" battery can be made out of more actual battery custom-fit to maximize the amount of battery that can be stuffed into a device, but yeah you figure phones from any mfr should be designed with the idea that accessing this one part you know is going to eventually need to be replaced should be possible without having to destroy other parts of the device to get to it.

--Patrick
I mean, it's not like the thing is even soldered in or anything. It's just a regular battery with a ribbon connector. The only excuse is to make you have to replace the whole phone when the battery wears out, as Squidley said.

One of the reasons I keep getting my Samsungs is that it's really easy to switch batteries and add memory cards. And I don't want to jinx myself, but screen issues are rare, both sensitivity and breaking.

Ironically my previous Samsung suffered a shattered screen, while the Samsung before that ended up with a borked and unresponsive screen.

I still buy Samsung though, because I'm used to their interface now. Though Bixby annoys me, so I might switch to a different brand next time.

Ironically my previous Samsung suffered a shattered screen, while the Samsung before that ended up with a borked and unresponsive screen.

I still buy Samsung though, because I'm used to their interface now. Though Bixby annoys me, so I might switch to a different brand next time.
Both of mine have been Actives, and with just a basic, non-Otterbox case, they haven't gotten a scratch on them. [Knock on wood]. However, I also think that when you transport your phone mainly in a purse rather than a pocket, it does help prolong it's lifespan more often than not.

Both of mine have been Actives, and with just a basic, non-Otterbox case, they haven't gotten a scratch on them. [Knock on wood]. However, I also think that when you transport your phone mainly in a purse rather than a pocket, it does help prolong it's lifespan more often than not.
I have an S20+ in an otterbox defender pro. I wear it in a holster on my belt. It seems to do the job. I do gotta say it was weird to have a phone with like a 6000 mah battery. I have yet to go below 60% before getting home from work.

I drop my phone all the fucking time, and the only time I've ever broken a phone is when my daughter literally slapped it out of my hand throwing a temper tantrum, and even then there was no exterior damage.

GasBandit

Staff member
I dropped my L3 once and it immediately shattered to uselessness. After I got it replaced, I got an otterbox for it, and I made sure to get one for the Pixel that replaced it. I've never had a broken screen since, until this past weekend when I broke it myself trying to take the phone apart.

That darn screen can't come quick enough tomorrow. I can't do any non-sms 2 factor authentication right now, so it's like I'm trying to do my work with 1 hand tied behind my back. And I can't clock in and out now without actually being AT the office, so on-site work is awful.

The wife shattered the screen of our older iPad mini back when we still lived in Wisconsin. She was trimming her nails and the clipper fell out of her hand and hit the screen just above the home button. It was still usable, but it has several cracks going up the screen.

I went straight from flip to iPhone(s). As they’ve amped up water resistance, the phones‘ve gotten more difficult to open, but at least the battery replacements are pretty straightforward...with a few exceptions. Some of ‘em require you to rip out the speaker while you’re in there. I have solved this problem by deliberately not buying any of those models. :awesome:

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Amazon and UPS collaborate to dash a man's hopes.

Ordered Sunday, 2 day delivery.

1597801714917.png

Gettin' pretty close to that wire, UPS, given that it's 8:48pm.

1597801690649.png

It took it 3.5 hours to go 200 miles.
It's taken 12 hours and counting to go 2 miles. Seriously, I live 2 miles from the local UPS distribution center. I should have just asked them to hold it for me and I'd come pick it up there.

GasBandit

Staff member
:mad:

1597806645823.png

So, how I'm interpreting this, is either the tracking data is completely fabricated.... or the delivery driver broke the item in transit and they're having to send a new one.

Or it’s one of those UPS deliveries where they hand off to USPS for the final leg, except that the USPS is running on fumes right now.

—Patrick

I sometimes feel envious of people I know who are ahead of me in their lives. A friend of mine, who's a few years younger than me, just bought her first car, and is looking to close the deal on buying an apartment in the coming weeks. She works in a similar field as me, but she's much better at it and much more savvy than me, which is why she's in a much better financial position than me.

I mean, I know it's not a competition, and honestly I'm doing much better than a whole lot of other people. But I can't help but see green a little.

:mad:

So, how I'm interpreting this, is either the tracking data is completely fabricated.... or the delivery driver broke the item in transit and they're having to send a new one.
I've reported more than one driver in my area that just... didn't deliver my mail for multiple days in a row, including expensive packages. Some drivers can and while do whatever they must to make their jobs easier.

Before this USPS controversy all started, I'd frequently get "No access" excuses for parcels scheduled for Sunday delivery. IT WAS A FUCKING HOTEL.

I sometimes feel envious of people I know who are ahead of me in their lives.
One of my coworkers, whose family also happens to own a chain of take-out restaurants, was showing me just last week how he managed to make >$400 in one day by playing Tesla stock.

Must be nice.

--Patrick

I mean, I know it's not a competition, and honestly I'm doing much better than a whole lot of other people. But I can't help but see green a little.
I've basically lost track of a lot of my classmates in high school and college. Those I do know I'm relatively happy to hear of their successes (i.e., a HS friend who works at Apple, and of course Coach Leipold at U of B). Only one person I'm not particularly happy about is this guy:

Dave

Staff member
Wanting to get a new dog. Ours is old and it's always better to get a new puppy when you have an older dog around to help train. But FINDING a dog? Holy shit. You either have to pay HUGE money (upwards of $4000) to breeders or dance around scams on Craigslist. Why not rescue? The only rescues around here are places like the Nebraska Humane Society and all they have is pit bulls or rottweilers, neither of which I want due to potential temperaments or legal issues with licensing. And remember when two breeds of a dog intermixed were called mutts and you could get them cheaply? Now they "rebrand" them and say they are worth more. Fucking stupid.

Wanting to get a new dog. Ours is old and it's always better to get a new puppy when you have an older dog around to help train. But FINDING a dog? Holy shit. You either have to pay HUGE money (upwards of $4000) to breeders or dance around scams on Craigslist. Why not rescue? The only rescues around here are places like the Nebraska Humane Society and all they have is pit bulls or rottweilers, neither of which I want due to potential temperaments or legal issues with licensing. And remember when two breeds of a dog intermixed were called mutts and you could get them cheaply? Now they "rebrand" them and say they are worth more. Fucking stupid.
Check to see if there are any Labrador or Short Haired Pointer Rescues in your area. After all you are in hunting country.

In a couple of hours I have to drive my daughter to the vet to have her cat put down. She started throwing clots, losing the ability to use her legs randomly, which led to the discovery that she's had a heart attack and has a growth in her lung that she thinks is causing it all. So for the first time in almost 20 years, I will not have a cat in the house. Just the two dogs.

In other news, I've decided it's time to stop drinking again. Everything was under control for a while, but as the pandemic and whatnot goes on, I've been drinking more and more without really registering it. I've never gotten to the point of it being dangerous (I've never driven after drinking or blacked out or anything like that), but I don't think it's really helping anything either.

It's shame too, because pit bulls and rottweilers are absolutely the friendliest dogs I've ever encountered when they are raised by kind, caring people. Really good with kids too. But too many people raise them to be aggressive or to fight here in Ohio...

Yeah, I've met well-trained pitbulls and Dobbermans and Staffords, and they're great dogs... But they need an experienced trainer, which obviously most that end up in shelters didn't have.

It looks like there are numerous rescues in Omaha with more than pitbulls

I used to volunteer in a shelter. As a volunteer who was as involved as I was, I did a lot of work similar to what staff did except that I didn’t work with the dogs. I stuck to cats and small animals. The dog area was full of huge and/or agressive dogs and most were scary. The rare time that a small, friendly dog came in, they were adopted instantly.

9/10 dogs in the place were pit bulls and weren’t raised kindly. It was sad.

It's shame too, because pit bulls and rottweilers are absolutely the friendliest dogs I've ever encountered when they are raised by kind, caring people. Really good with kids too. But too many people raise them to be aggressive or to fight here in Ohio...
It's funny, because most of the earlier half of the 20th century, pit bulls were considered "America's family dog", far moreso than Labs or Goldens. And Rotties were nanny dogs. I remember reading (and I'd have to find the source again) sometime around the 1970's it became en vogue to use them for fighting and security. And their reputation has been downhill from there.
It's sad that so many end up in rescues because they've been mistreated and unless you're an expert trainer, it's really a crapshoot if they can be rehabilitated to regular domestic life. Although, this can be the case for almost any breed that gets rescued.

Dave

Staff member
I used to volunteer in a shelter. As a volunteer who was as involved as I was, I did a lot of work similar to what staff did except that I didn’t work with the dogs. I stuck to cats and small animals. The dog area was full of huge and/or agressive dogs and most were scary. The rare time that a small, friendly dog came in, they were adopted instantly.

9/10 dogs in the place were pit bulls and weren’t raised kindly. It was sad.
This is my experience as well.

And @blotsfan, I've been to those and a number of other sites and they usually have problem animals or seniors. The problem with seniors is that they are already at the end of their life and that's something I dont' need. The problem with the others is we have two cats. A lot of them that are there specifically state that cats are a no-go with the dogs. I'll look again but I haven't been successful finding something that we want to take on. And we don't want to take an animal in that doesn't seem like a fit from the beginning. Wouldn't be fair to them.

This is my experience as well.

And @blotsfan, I've been to those and a number of other sites and they usually have problem animals or seniors. The problem with seniors is that they are already at the end of their life and that's something I dont' need. The problem with the others is we have two cats. A lot of them that are there specifically state that cats are a no-go with the dogs. I'll look again but I haven't been successful finding something that we want to take on. And we don't want to take an animal in that doesn't seem like a fit from the beginning. Wouldn't be fair to them.
I would say just keep watching the shelters and rescues, it takes patience, but if you don't want to spend the money and you want to be picky, it's all about keeping up with what the shelter has. Our local shelter has a webpage for this, which is how I ended up getting our cat, because he looked like my childhood cat and nostalgia won out. (It also helped that he was 10 months old and not a 2 month old kitten, because I don't know if I would have had the patience for that.)

My wife followed the local humane society on Facebook for years despite my insistence that we didn't need a dog. Eventually, they had a puppy event that she really wanted a dog from. Took awhile (largely because I kept saying no) but it was a rescue so it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

My cat is pretty much a toddler. Our latest issue is that he is not sleeping enough because he has decided he can't possibly sleep if people are moving around, and now that school has started again and my teenagers are not just sleeping all day, he runs around with spaz zoomies and gets bitey because he's tired. It's also complicated by the fact that the last two nights we decided to just leave our bedroom door open instead of shutting him in with us at night, and the idiot stays up until something like 3am before he concedes victory to the need to sleep. So I guess we're going to keep shutting him in our room at night and today he actually passed out in one of his myriad of preferred sleeping spaces this morning, so maybe he's finally getting normalized again.

Bench, heavy blanket, darkness, nothing to do, give up, sleep.
Of course, cats tend to the nocturnal so this isn't great, but it does often work to get rebellious kitties to settle down n

Bench, heavy blanket, darkness, nothing to do, give up, sleep.
Of course, cats tend to the nocturnal so this isn't great, but it does often work to get rebellious kitties to settle down n
I mean, that's why we started shutting him in our room at night in the first place. We were hoping he had made it routine so we could keep the door open at night for him, but lol.