Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

The worst part of not really being able to see for a few days is that I can't put my glasses on in order to see better. :p

Last edited:
Remember me talking about the wall behaving weird? Yeah, still haven't had that repaired...and now, on the entirely different side of the house, and a floor up, we have water coming down through the ceiling.
Fuck you previous owners and your much-repeated "no, no moist problems anywhere!".

Why? Why can't we just buy a house with little or nothing wrong with it?!

GasBandit

Staff member
Remember me talking about the wall behaving weird? Yeah, still haven't had that repaired...and now, on the entirely different side of the house, and a floor up, we have water coming down through the ceiling.
Fuck you previous owners and your much-repeated "no, no moist problems anywhere!".

Because you live in europe and everything that involves one stone resting upon another is literally a bajillion years old.

Did you not have an independent inspection done? :/

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

My principal called me into her office at the end of the day. Good news is I got confirmation I'll be back next year.

Bad news is I'm moving classrooms. I basically had my dream job this past year. It was a co-teaching classroom, I got along very well with my team, and the daily schedule was basically perfect. I was also in one of only three rooms in the building that has windows on two walls. I also had my prep period at the very end of the day, so I felt like I could decompress a bit before dismissal.

Oh, and I didn't have to teach math. Instead I taught Science to multiple classrooms. I was even on the curriculum team designing a new, exciting, hands-on science curriculum. It was my baby.

Now...not so much. No more co-teaching, no more science, and only one wall with windows. It's basically the opposite of what I have now.

I went through all kinds of training for that specific classroom, too. The school even brought in a co-teaching expert to consult with the co-teaching teams. My team got glowing reviews, and the consultant was very surprised it was only our first year together.

Now that's gone. There are reasons for this happening - basically,someone else's position is getting eliminated, and it's to save that person. My principal also feels confident in my ability to teach math moreso than the other person. Yeah, I do kinda kick ass at it, but I HATE teaching it. I HATE planning it. And everybody HATES the new math program we've been using. Now I'm going to be buried in math.

Suffice to say, this was downright heartbreaking. I basically had everything I wanted in an education career, and had it yanked away today. I loved this past school year, but I have very little enthusiasm for the coming one right now.

Joking aside, in the US (outside the biggest, oldest cities) there's a stigma about anything built earlier than the 60s.
My brother's house was built in the 1940s, and they are trying to redo their kitchen. My mom had some fun stories yesterday.

Joking aside, in the US (outside the biggest, oldest cities) there's a stigma about anything built earlier than the 60s.
Meanwhile, up here there's so very little History in our surroundings, anything pre WW2 seems to be a bit of a status symbol, because most such places that have survived since then are large houses with fantastic yards.

Or they're charming little farmhouses that a succession of previous owners have kept in decent shape. For about a decade at the the beginning of the 2000s, my mother had one of these from before Canada's Confederation (we're 150 this year!). It had been kept up well enough that it looked like it could've been built in the 1980s.

Although it was originally a farmhouse, it sat on a standard plot since a whole neighbourhood built up around it in the 50s (or thereabouts)

I would bet that there isn't a house newer than 1950 in this entire neighborhood that I just moved into. I know my place was built in the 20s.

The townhome we're living in now was built in 2013 and is already a gigantic pile of shit (and was only moderately less-shitty when new) - the electrical system is haphazardly put together, and there's no way union electricians put this in; the plumbing is decent, except for the toilets, which clog constantly; the first floor has no heaters and really bad insulation, so our heating bill runs into the $200+ range per month from October through June; the vinyl siding is sloughing off, on almost every unit, and can only be color matched with a product from Italy; the cabinetry was so cheaply done that I have to re-tighten the set screws on the hinges on a weekly basis or they'd hang diagonally; the list just goes on and on, and on. And on.

Meanwhile, back in '91 my parents bought a farmhouse on two acres in the middle of nowhere that had been built - on that site - in 1907, after it had been dismantled by hand and moved there from its original site, where it had originally been built in 1893; and it took us a serious amount of effort and some heavy machinery to gut it during a remodel. In fact, the only reason we even had to gut it in the first place was because we had the roof off (my mother wanted a covered porch, so we had to move the dormer) during a severe thunderstorm, and it soaked up too much water. You'd better believe that I'm keeping those facts in mind while looking for a house to buy.

I'd be much obliged, trust me! Being in the military, they sling around ibuprofen like candy, in the 800mg tablets. Taking three of those and washing them down with a Monster is almost standard protocol, at this point.

Oh god, my eye doctor took the protective contacts out today and now it feels like there are hundreds of eye lashes in my right eye.

Oh god, my eye doctor took the protective contacts out today and now it feels like there are hundreds of eye lashes in my right eye.
Yup, that's pretty much how it feels until it heals. And a bit similar for a few weeks afterwards when you first wake up.

My whine, I partied from 7 till 2 am, went home stayed up until 4am. Dog woke me up at 6:30 am. I was over the hang over before 8am. But was more tired from staying up till 4. Recliners are wonderful things...

I must have slept on and off 6 hours yesterday morning and afternoon.

Aaaand Department of Treasury took my entire tax refund. Now I won't be able to make it until my next paycheck from the beginning of the next school year comes in. I'm completely fucked unless I can get another job soon, which is more than likely not happening.

I went to get routine fasting blood work done this morning. After 6 stabs, no success. So now I have to come back in a week to try again. Stupid hard to find veins!

fade

Staff member
Does anyone know if it's legal to set fire to your own car while laughing maniacally?

Also--completely related--never buy a Mini Cooper.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's legal to set fire to your own car while laughing maniacally?

Also--completely related--never by a Mini Cooper.
I should put you in contact with my brother. He went through hell getting BMW to fix his MINI. The finally called in a "pro from Dover" err, Stuttgart. And he found that it was the very first thing to check on the technical bulletins to fix a linkage problem.

Basically it would be like a computer technician not asking you to reboot your computer before doing 2 hours of troubleshooting.

Also--completely related--never by a Mini Cooper.
As long as you don't file an insurance claim, you're good to go, though if someone whines to the AUTHORITAHs then you may find yourself having to explain a large black smoke fire, EPA hazardous waste spill response team, and eventually trying to understand why it's so expensive to haul a burned out vehicle carcass to a dump.

But bigger government is better, so I guess that's just the cost of living in a free society.

:minionhappy:

fade

Staff member
As long as you don't file an insurance claim, you're good to go, though if someone whines to the AUTHORITAHs then you may find yourself having to explain a large black smoke fire, EPA hazardous waste spill response team, and eventually trying to understand why it's so expensive to haul a burned out vehicle carcass to a dump.

But bigger government is better, so I guess that's just the cost of living in a free society.

:minionhappy:
You didn't address the maniacal laughter, though.