Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Before they got burned in the local paper about it a few years ago, the main branch of the county library was looking for people to have MLIS to work part time at the checkin/checkout.

Okay. So, Ms. Polkadot cigarette is all new and happy - she's smokin'.

But then...Mrs. Plaindress, she got a little overconfident and has accidentaly gone up in flames! She attempts to run for cover.

Cajungal
stienman
This one's for you.

After biting on a Popcorn Kernel,a tooth cracked (It had the roots removed a couple of months ago,so there was no pain).
Now I got to pay something in the area of 2000€ to get an implant. -.-
Im pondering to drive to Poland and have it done there.

After biting on a Popcorn Kernel,a tooth cracked (It had the roots removed a couple of months ago,so there was no pain).
Now I got to pay something in the area of 2000€ to get an implant. -.-
Im pondering to drive to Poland and have it done there.
I was already due to have a post & crown done on the tooth that had the root canal when the temp filling fell out. Only supposed to cost me $238.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE IN ONE OF THE NEARBY APARTMENTS HAS BEEN DRILLING HOLES FOR 5 HOURS NOW. IS THERE A SOUND MORE ANNOYING THAN THE MUFFLED NOISE OF HOLES BEING DRILLED INTO CONCRETE?!
I am going insane.

Being next to a major construction site that's using a pile driver to sink i-beams for a foundation, so every 30 seconds or so you hear a loud "plink" and feel the ground shake? Seriously, though - concrete is bad. Tile is frequently worse though, more of a high pitched whine than the crunch of concrete. But 5 hours straight is enough to drive anyone insane.

GasBandit

Staff member
IS THERE A SOUND MORE ANNOYING THAN THE MUFFLED NOISE OF HOLES BEING DRILLED INTO CONCRETE?!
Tinnitus. It's always there. It never goes away. It's like the aural version of chinese water torture. The only thing you can do is find more noise to try to cover it up. It's hard to describe what it sounds like... it's kind of like if you take the hissing ring of hearing a shower's water pipes resonate on the other side of a bathroom wall, increase the intensity and mix it with the sound of a CRT monitor that has been left on without a computer and has no power saving/sleep mode, and the sound a crystal goblet half full of water makes when rubbed with a wet finger. And it never. Ever. Stops.

That's actually a very vivid description. From that, I can imagine just how hellish tinnitus would be. I think I'd go completely mad.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's actually a very vivid description. From that, I can imagine just how hellish tinnitus would be. I think I'd go completely mad.
You don't say?

But it's generally controllable as long as there is some source of noise in the vicinity, like a box fan on medium or so. It's only when there's no sound at all, like when you're all alone and in the bathroom with the door shut and the quiet starts to become oppressive and there's the noise and it's getting louder and louder and LOUDER AND I'M CLAWING THE FLESH OFF MY SKULL JUST SO MY SCREAMS BANISH THE SOUND AAIIEIEGGHHH

I really hate it when car insurance companies try to be helpful when you're trying to get a quote online. All I want to do is see what my insurance cost would be for my current policy set up if I moved to Louisville, but can I get that online with Geico? No. No I cannot. I can't even get past the first info page, where I put in my name and DoB, because Geico "helpfully" pulls up my previous records and sees that I have a current policy, then directs me to log in to manage my existing policy. If I do log in and tell it that I'm moving, my options are "I've moved and want to enter my new address," or "I haven't moved by I need to correct my address." So I have no choice but to call them and waste time on the phone with an agent, because their computer system is being "helpful."

GasBandit said:
You don't say?

But it's generally controllable as long as there is some source of noise in the vicinity, like a box fan on medium or so. It's only when there's no sound at all, like when you're all alone and in the bathroom with the door shut and the quiet starts to become oppressive and there's the noise and it's getting louder and louder and LOUDER AND I'M CLAWING THE FLESH OFF MY SKULL JUST SO MY SCREAMS BANISH THE SOUND AAIIEIEGGHHH
Also when someone mentions it so you start to focus on it to see if it's gotten any worse. Then you can't ignore it anymore...

I am so starved for caffeine (and the coffee doesn't seem to be helping) that I've broken down and am drinking my first can of (non-throwback) Mtn Dew in... 5 years? 6? Something like that. Man, does it hit the spot. But I know it'll wear off before too much longer when the sugar crash hits and I'll need more.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE IN ONE OF THE NEARBY APARTMENTS HAS BEEN DRILLING HOLES FOR 5 HOURS NOW. IS THERE A SOUND MORE ANNOYING THAN THE MUFFLED NOISE OF HOLES BEING DRILLED INTO CONCRETE?!
I am going insane.
You, my friend, need to invest in some home-made do it yourself soundproof headphones. You get a set of headphones that have decent quality sound, but aren't too expensive. Panasonic makes some very decent quality low cost headphones. Then, you remove and mount the speakers in a set of DeWalt Interceptors.

The result?

A set of soundproof headphones that not only completely obliterate all noise from the outside world, but are almost entirely silent to anyone you're near. And the cost is only like 20 bucks plus whatever headphones you cannibalize for speakers.

And it's fun to do.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is it ironic that there's a "listen" button on that page? You click it, and it's just really quiet for 10 minutes.
I think something's wrong with your browser. For me, it plays the audio of the radio broadcast about the quietest room.