Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I am going a bit insane. I have a fairly severe allergy rash, I think. I could barely go to bed from the itching I had. I thought I was being bitten by a flea in my shirt. (I've had a flea problem in the house this summer.) But I never saw a flea. Then at 2am I started itching terribly. I could not decide to go to the emergency room, or try to wait out the itch. So I took the third option, I went to the 24 hour pharmacy and asked the opinion of the over-night pharmacist. Now I will stay home and take double doses of Benadryl today.

Lol probably cold for you guys :D

23 C and I was in a closed, humid room setting up my terrarium. I'm upstairs now with an open window and I'm cooling off.
Not cold, but a very comfortable morning temp if we're lucky this time of year. It's just after 6:30am here and 25c for the low temp last night, will get up to around 36c today and the feels like (heat index) will get to around 46c.

Dei is correct about the high humidity, you're not having the cooling effect in those situations.

I am going a bit insane. I have a fairly severe allergy rash, I think. I could barely go to bed from the itching I had. I thought I was being bitten by a flea in my shirt. (I've had a flea problem in the house this summer.) But I never saw a flea. Then at 2am I started itching terribly. I could not decide to go to the emergency room, or try to wait out the itch. So I took the third option, I went to the 24 hour pharmacy and asked the opinion of the over-night pharmacist. Now I will stay home and take double doses of Benadryl today.
You're not bananas! Hives are evil.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I actively played Mechwarrior Online, I joined a gaming clan that a couple real life friends had joined, mostly so that I could play along with them and so that anybody we were in would all be in the same teamspeak. This clan was really into "MilSim," that is, pretending to be an actual military unit. Assigning ranks and stuff, breaking up into preassigned squads with a full command structure, etc etc etc. By the time I was pretty much done with MWO, I was a corporal. Which was fine with me, I wasn't there to climb the ranks, I just wanted to play with my friends.

Well, apparently a few weeks ago, despite my not being around for at least a year, I got promoted to Sergeant. I don't know if it was just because of my account longevity, or if it was by attrition, or what, but how I learned about this is apparently the clan website e-mails all officers and senior NCOs (read: Sergeants) every time somebody submits an application to join, or any time someone makes a comment or takes an action (approve/deny) on an application.

So basically I've been getting my e-mail spammed by shit I don't care about for the last couple weeks. I've tried unsubscribing from that crap at the website, no dice, and and I don't want to tell google to mark it as spam because it comes through enjin.com, which is where 90% of the guilds and such I've joined for the last 10 years have resided (also some minecraft stuff), so there's always a chance I'll get an enjin message that I want to see. So I've just had to put up with my phone notifying me "hey you got e-mail OH WAIT IT'S MORE MWO APPLICATIONS HA HA" 3 or 4 times a day for the last month.

Well, at least they're still active and have people joining I guess.

When I actively played Mechwarrior Online, I joined a gaming clan that a couple real life friends had joined, mostly so that I could play along with them and so that anybody we were in would all be in the same teamspeak. This clan was really into "MilSim," that is, pretending to be an actual military unit. Assigning ranks and stuff, breaking up into preassigned squads with a full command structure, etc etc etc. By the time I was pretty much done with MWO, I was a corporal. Which was fine with me, I wasn't there to climb the ranks, I just wanted to play with my friends.

Well, apparently a few weeks ago, despite my not being around for at least a year, I got promoted to Sergeant. I don't know if it was just because of my account longevity, or if it was by attrition, or what, but how I learned about this is apparently the clan website e-mails all officers and senior NCOs (read: Sergeants) every time somebody submits an application to join, or any time someone makes a comment or takes an action (approve/deny) on an application.

So basically I've been getting my e-mail spammed by shit I don't care about for the last couple weeks. I've tried unsubscribing from that crap at the website, no dice, and and I don't want to tell google to mark it as spam because it comes through enjin.com, which is where 90% of the guilds and such I've joined for the last 10 years have resided (also some minecraft stuff), so there's always a chance I'll get an enjin message that I want to see. So I've just had to put up with my phone notifying me "hey you got e-mail OH WAIT IT'S MORE MWO APPLICATIONS HA HA" 3 or 4 times a day for the last month.

Well, at least they're still active and have people joining I guess.
I'm assuming you're on Gmail, due to the google mention. You could set up a filter that checks for e-mails from enjin.com with the name of that clan in the body/text, and skip-inbox/archive/delete/folder-of-never only those.[DOUBLEPOST=1467764977,1467764840][/DOUBLEPOST]Click the dropdown next to the search bar:
Has the words: clan-name
Create filter with this search >>
Check Skip the Inbox
Check Apply the label [folder of bad clan here]
Check Never mark it as important
Check Also apply filter to matching conversations
Create filter

The worst thing about POSC training: all these moves you'd forgotten since your last class are coming back to you.

And then your body starts yelling, "YOU'RE OLDER THAN YOU WERE THEN - HA!"

And then it's painkiller time...

Cajungal

Staff member
In-laws...

Scratch that. My father in law is incredible. He fixed my car while I was in the UK and refused to let me pay for lunch today or even reimburse him for the part he bought. So we're making dinner for them soon.

But my mother in law....it's hard being around her. When we try to talk about anything in our lives, she doesn't even feign interest. Anything new intimidates her, so hearing about what we learned when we toured Parliament was out of the question. When we were at lunch today, she interrupted a story about our trip to talk about how she broke 2 of her nails. And we hadn't been talking for lone either...we rarely talk about ourselves with her. Nothing we have to say interests her, so any gathering is just a bunch of listening to her talk about the minutia of her day and how bad a parent her other daughter in law is (according to her). It makes every conversation seem like 5 years...

She is a sad woman. I don't think she's ever read a book, she thinks that people who like to learn are boring and elitist, and she has no friends or hobbies. She blames her loneliness on her "neglectful" children. She used my husband as a sounding board for her money/marriage worries when he was in 7th grade. I do love her, and she is fiercely loyal to her family, and I feel for her because I think she had a mental health problem that she will never address. Therapy is for "crazy" people or more "touchy feely" types. We only hung out for an hour today and I'm still tired.

Get help. Get an adult friend. Do something so that the people around you don't feel trapped by your insecure neediness.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

This is a True Whine (TM) (ie, nothings wrong and nothing needs fixing, I just feel like venting. Posted anony-moose-ly in the unlikely event that in some future date my wife decides to read my posts here but it should be pretty obvious to those interested)

So over the years we've always run our budget right at the edge of what I'm making, and have slowly grown our consumer credit debt to a level which is disappointing. I increased my income by 33% a few years ago, but then we decided (as usual) to increase our cost of living by a similar amount by moving into a home which more comfortably fits our large family. That's all well and good, but my wife does the finances and has made many, many pointed comments over the last 18 months about how tight our belt is financially, and suggesting that maybe she could look for work outside the home.

Now if that's what she wanted then I'm fine with that, but from all indications it's really her way of saying "Breadwinner, go get more money" without actually telling me that our financial situation is my fault. She knows I'm capable of more, but at the same time doesn't want to pressure me*, and doesn't really want to move to a higher value market anyway.

So fast forward to this spring and after some legwork I've pulled in three contracts that together would pay off our consumer debt three times over, which I can do without conflict with my full time job - but it necessarily means evening time spent away from family and working on consulting rather than other honey-do projects she desires me to do. This is a point of friction, as there is a lot that can and should be done but I can either make money (and I'm charging $100 - $120/hr for these projects, so it's not a small amount of money) or work on things around the house. I can even pay for someone else to do these things, but being frugal people we would rather leave something we can do ourselves undone than pay someone else to do it - no, it doesn't always make financial sense, but there it is.

This week our two teenagers are off at high adventure scouting camp, and we were out of town last week, so our 4+ acres needed mowing, which she worked on today. Owing to our large family and her current pregnant state she had to take frequent restroom breaks, and it's simply hard on her body now that she's in the third trimester and dealing with water gain, loose joints, etc.

In short, she's trying really hard to make sure I have time available for these consulting projects, which she clearly values.

She needs an outlet, too, though and so she complained about the restroom break issue during mowing on facebook, and we now have several friends who are insisting on mowing our lawn for free in order to save her from doing it. She's turned down everyone, but one couple isn't taking no for an answer and so I guess they're going to show up later this week and take care of the rest of the lawn. They'll use our commercial mower (about an acre an hour) and they seem interested partly because it's fun to use bigger than normal machines, but still.

So now I'm in the uncomfortable position of feeling like a heel because I'm essentially having friends save my pregnant wife from mowing so I can make extra money. :confused:

Long story short, I mowed the rest of the back of the property and left the easier front yard for the friends. Offering to serve someone, then having them come back and say, "nevermind, we beat you to it" doesn't sit well with me, but I didn't want them spending more than an hour here either, doing menial labor, particularly when even with these projects I'm still spending a couple hours a week on trivial things like TV.

If I suggest we hire someone to do it, she'll balk at the cost and insist on doing it herself. I suspect I'm going to be working late nights in order to make up the difference over the next few months. Didn't get any billable time in tonight, but I sent emails and set some deadlines so I should be able to dig right in later this week.

I'm probably more irritated about this than I realize, though, but due instead to the fact that my full time job is behind on paychecks. They've been treading water for years now, and we've structured our finances to absorb 2-3 week late paychecks without issue, but they were four weeks late just prior to my vacation, and while the others were paid while I was on vacation, the office manager was specifically told to withold my paycheck until after my vacation. Upon receiving my "Gee, you're behind payment by 5 weeks, and I've done work nearly two months ago you haven't paid me for, do we need to rework our agreement?" email the primary decision maker blamed the office manager. I did get a paycheck today, though, and will receive two more by the end of the week (ie, par for the course, but later than they've ever been in the last four years).

So while I'm venting about a domestic issue of little consequence, I bet the real reason I'm venting is because of shenanigans at work.

And while a lot of this must sound pretty messed up, I'm enjoying life and don't think I'd have it any other way. Love my wife. Love my kids. Love where and how I live. Enjoy my work. I enjoy mowing and all the other tasks I could be doing - it's really just an issue of time (and to some degree, money).

Still, feel free to recommend THERAPY or any other suggestion as a panacea for all my whinable woes as you find things about this you feel are untenable.

*She's worked extraordinarily hard on changing how she communicates with me over the last few years, avoiding placing blame, nagging, or pressuring me, and puts a lot of effort into accepting my undesirable traits along with all the parts about me that she enjoys. I don't really deserve her, but I'm trying to improve a little more each day.

Offering to serve someone, then having them come back and say, "nevermind, we beat you to it" doesn't sit well with me
No offer of panacea, it seems you know where things are going and willing to suffer the inconveniences of yet another journey in order to reach your destination.
I just want to chime in that this is one of those things that I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE. If someone asks me to check the toilet because it seems like it is plugged*, and I say I will get to it in half an hour, don't come back to me in twelve minutes and tell me how you couldn't wait and so you did it yourself. If you were going to do it yourself, why did you ask? If you needed it done in less than 30 minutes, why didn't you say so? Once you delegate something to me, it's mine, and you shouldn't be taking it back. "Caving" and doing it early just says to me, "Well, I knew you were just going to blow it off anyway, maybe next time you'll consider it as important as *I* do and get to it sooner." Also, it intimates that I am somehow untrustworthy. And while this example is something clearly domestic, this sort of thing happens at work, in the checkout line at the store, all over the place, really. Even at an intersection there's that other driver who will give you a couple quick waves and then, before you have a chance to do anything, just shrug and zoom ahead, and that's outright dangerous!

--Patrick
*A completely hypothetical situation used for illustrative purposes only. I promise this is not sarcasm. Our toilet almost never clogs.

SPEAKING of which...

Guess who got his eyes cross-contaminated with OC from a Projecto-Jet, after thinking he had managed to survive being sprayed?

Your ARGH is nothing like my AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRHGGHHHGGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHH

GasBandit

Staff member
SPEAKING of which...

Guess who got his eyes cross-contaminated with OC from a Projecto-Jet, after thinking he had managed to survive being sprayed?

Your ARGH is nothing like my AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRHGGHHHGGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHH
That sounds extremely unpleasant and my eyes water in sympathy.

GasBandit

Staff member
My HR department just started using web-based vacation/time off tracking! Neat to be part of the 21st century, finally.

Except now it throws into stark relief the hundreds of vacation hours I've just let roll off the calendar unused >_<

I lamented to the HR director, "There's no way I can take two more weeks off between now and november!" (I took a week off in march, remember, to go to Colorado)

She said, "Sure you can! Just take a day off here and there!"

I said "It's so much WORK to get a day off." Seriously, as much extra work and stress as it was leading up to the 4th of July long weekend, I'd have honestly rather just not had monday off.

In Colorado, they used to pay me for vacation hours I didn't use (and subsequently, they were a lot better about extra hiring to redundantly cover duties)... wish that was the case here.

Doh well. When I got laid off in Colorado, I couldn't get another job there in 6 months of looking, which is what sent me to Texas in the first place... and I've worked here for 13 years. So I guess there's that.

My HR department just started using web-based vacation/time off tracking! Neat to be part of the 21st century, finally.

Except now it throws into stark relief the hundreds of vacation hours I've just let roll off the calendar unused >_<

I lamented to the HR director, "There's no way I can take two more weeks off between now and november!" (I took a week off in march, remember, to go to Colorado)

She said, "Sure you can! Just take a day off here and there!"

I said "It's so much WORK to get a day off." Seriously, as much extra work and stress as it was leading up to the 4th of July long weekend, I'd have honestly rather just not had monday off.

In Colorado, they used to pay me for vacation hours I didn't use (and subsequently, they were a lot better about extra hiring to redundantly cover duties)... wish that was the case here.

Doh well. When I got laid off in Colorado, I couldn't get another job there in 6 months of looking, which is what sent me to Texas in the first place... and I've worked here for 13 years. So I guess there's that.
https://www.google.com/about/careers/locations/boulder/

The description about the Boulder campus makes me laugh though. It totally fits the pretentious Boulderness.

Who the fuck lives in Boulder anyways? You can have a 30 min commute with minimal traffic and live with the seceders, like I do! :p (Seriously though, you don't have to live super far away to not be in hippy land)