Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

figmentPez

Staff member
Saw this GIF on Tumblr being touted as an important truth...

Shut up Tumblr. Just shut the fuck up and stop pretending you know beans about history. People absolutely criticized Elvis for being overly sexual. They wouldn't let him be shown below the waist when he was on the Ed Sullivan Show. Elvis died before I was born (or, if you're a conspiracy theorist, all his music was recorded before I was born) and I still know this. Elvis Presley was most certainly denounced in his day for corrupting young people and promoting sexual immorality. His dancing was compared to a burlesque show, and was said to belong in a whore house.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's my whine for the night.

I didn't win powerball.

Guess I paid my stupidity tax for the year. A $500 million dollar jackpot was hard to ignore, though.

I have few principles, but I stick to them.*

*Cashier experience. Had someone with approx 100 items come into express lane. Wanted to murder.

I have few principles, but I stick to them.*

*Cashier experience. Had someone with approx 100 items come into express lane. Wanted to murder.
When my son was very small, we had a lady in front of us with a little over 20 items in a 10-item express lane. He was impatient and fussy, so to distract him, we made a game of counting, very loudly, how many items the lady had. He thought it was great that he could count that high. I felt good seeing the look of resentment on her face ;)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I want to go play besieged, but I can't muster the energy to get off the couch. I want food and drink. Same problem. I hate this cold.

I want to go play besieged, but I can't muster the energy to get off the couch. I want food and drink. Same problem. I hate this cold.
If only you could build a besieged contraption that would bring you food and drink
...without exploding, setting you on fire, or pulverizing you, that is.

--Patrick

I went to install Fitbit software on my laptop tonight and downloaded an extra passenger with it! Holy $&@%#!!!! I couldn't even get into Windows until I used Windows 8's silly blue menu.

The good news is that all my recent pictures lived! The rest are all backed up on two external drives.

The bad news is that the refresh took forever and so will the virus scan and re-install of everything.

Thanks Fitbit!

fade

Staff member
Weird, I came in here to make a computer whine, too. I got my replacement video card yesterday, and went through some snowballing pile of crud trying to remove drivers for the old one, and safe mode won't start because the bios co-opted F8 for itself and MSIServer is not started in safe mode blah blah blah. It's all good now, but it was irritating.

Cajungal

Staff member
Blaaaaargh.... what a crappy day.

First off, it's grandparent's day, which is a complete wash. It's just chaos. This morning, Jake came to bed at around 4, which would be fine, except that he woke me up and then wouldn't stop snoring. He hadn't snored in so long and this morning he just couldn't stop. So I got very little sleep between 4 and 6. Then I spilled my smoothie all over the kitchen this morning when I nearly fell on the floor. Drank what was left when I caught the glass. No time to make coffee because I was cleaning up, and what I grabbed for lunch turned out to be--not my baggie of chicken salad, but a baggie of carrot and celery sticks. I was moving so fast I didn't even realize. So I'm eating my stupid, sad lunch after having a very tiny breakfast and counting the hours until it's time to go home. Trying to supplement with the sunflower seeds I keep in my desk, but I am not feeling satisfied. Tired, hangry, and ready for the damn Mardi Gras break to get started.

fade

Staff member
Man, if I wanted to BE there when the flowers were delivered, I could've just brought them myself, and saved the $12 delivery charge.

figmentPez

Staff member
As a retail worker, I'm pretty sure that's never stopped anyone, ever.
I like the joke, but it's probably stopped a ton of people with social anxiety. One time I didn't use the express lane because I didn't know if the 2 donuts I was buying counted as 1 item because they were in a bag together, or if they were still two.

I really like the self checkout lanes.

When I was in high school, I was a cashier in a grocery store. I never minded if people were a couple of items over in the Express lane because I was pretty quick at scan and bag, so it never made a difference. It was the people that were blatantly over the limit and didn't want to wait for the full lanes that were assholes. I would even cut them a break if no one was waiting for express, but there were still people who felt they were entitled to the shortest lines even if it screwed over the small orders and threw a fit if you told them no. On the other side of it, I had an express cashier give me a hard time because having buying the "10 yogurts for $10" meant I had 17 items in a 15 item lane. I also had a fussy baby and no one behind me in line, even after I was leaving. Part of me just wanted to walk out because she'd have to void the order and put everything back herself.
Now I always prefer to use self-check out because I bring get my own bags and know how to pack them better than the cashiers.

I bring get my own bags and know how to pack them better than the cashiers.
I always have such a hard time convincing the cashiers to just pack our canvas bags until they groan. They're canvas! Go on and pack 40lbs of soup cans in one bag! They can take it!

--Patrick

I always have such a hard time convincing the cashiers to just pack our canvas bags until they groan. They're canvas! Go on and pack 40lbs of soup cans in one bag! They can take it!

--Patrick
Exactly! Even when I go to cashiers I still do my own bagging. I'd rather carry three heavy bags from my garage then 7 uneven bags.

My husband seriously just starts bagging everything at the store. His high school job was at a grocery store and mine was at Target, so this is just a thing. ;)

It boggles my mind that you a) still have people to bag stuff for you and b) disposable bags are still a ting there. I haven't gotten a plastic bag (except the you-pay-for-them-reusable-kind) in a supermarket in almost 10 years, and...well, there's automated check-out, self-check-out, self-scan, self-ride...I've seen supermarkets with 12 registers open and only one cashier on duty. Technology moves at different speeds in different places.

This is not to say "you guys are backwards", or anything, for the record - labor's simply so expensive here all of those positions have been eliminated, which is Not a Good Thing. It's just weird to me.

labor's simply so expensive here all of those positions have been eliminated, which is Not a Good Thing.
That'll change once self-serve becomes more self-serving, and customers as a whole start arbitrarily "forgetting" to scan more and more items.

--Patrick

That'll change once self-serve becomes more self-serving, and customers as a whole start arbitrarily "forgetting" to scan more and more items.

--Patrick
You clearly haven't shopped around here. Replacing 10 cashiers with 1 security guard to do random checks* is cheaper, and statistically, shoplifting and miss-scans have gone down in the past years, not up. Bear in mind that "accidentally" forgetting to scan something is legally equivalent to theft and is prosecuted as such.

*based on weight of the scanned items on the scale after scanning, value of scanned items, etc. Guard doesn't get a choice in this, unless he or a colleague actually catches someone in the act.

You clearly haven't shopped around here.
Considering where you live, this is of course true.
However, I still see the shopping situation becoming similar to how I see the driving situation in Russia, where it happens SO MUCH that the security guard you mention will only be interested in enforcing the most egregious of offenders.

--Patrick

Considering where you live, this is of course true.
However, I still see the shopping situation becoming similar to how I see the driving situation in Russia, where it happens SO MUCH that the security guard you mention will only be interested in enforcing the most egregious of offenders.

--Patrick
As I said - the computer decides. You stack the stuff you scan, and it'll say "hey, you scanned a 1.5l of water but I register 2 kilograms, that's wrong, please scan again" and you can't continue until you do. It's a fairly decent automated system, and there's a reason there's still always a couple of cashiers on site to help when things go wrong :p

You're missing the part where you "forget" to scan everything and put stuff in the bag after the fact. We also have automated registers with scales, that isn't exclusive to you. ;)