Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I learned to say "no" really fast at work. Or one would be the first number they have on speed dial to call if they need somebody.

Back to work tomorrow after being off since December 18th.

So, do I have a cold? Yes, indeedy, I do. :(

I need a hug.

Tonight: 35F. Last night: 60. Saturday night: 27.

Is it any wonder I was debating locking up and sending for an ambulance last night?

Mark down "Night Court" as worthy of being one of the box sets I'd like to own some day. I might not even watch it, I would probably be sufficiently happy with it just sitting there on my shelf.

--Patrick

Full moon. Had a shooting, fought a humongous shoplifter who had a serious case of arrestitis after saying she was 6 months pregnant (spoiler alert, she wasn't), accident central. It's now the last half hour, and I'm the only officer clear. FINAL DESTINATION.

GasBandit

Staff member
Faaahhhhhhk, still stuck at work. This CHKDSK has been going on 2 hours now.
Adding 219940539 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

1932531142 KB total disk space.
638628264 KB in 359741 files.
180476 KB in 20118 indexes.
879762156 KB in bad sectors.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It didn't even fix all the files with bad CRCs.

Fuck it. I'm going home. I just rebuilt this server 6 months ago, these are brand fucking new drives. They should not be having this issue. FUCK.

I'm curious which level of RAID you are using.
Also whether they are time-limited or not. If they are not time-limited, they may accumulate errors significantly faster than usual. None of this applies if they are not RAID.

Also, how can you possibly have ~850 GIGS worth of bad sectors?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm curious which level of RAID you are using.
Also whether they are time-limited or not. If they are not time-limited, they may accumulate errors significantly faster than usual. None of this applies if they are not RAID.

Also, how can you possibly have ~850 GIGS worth of bad sectors?

--Patrick
Because management was too cheap to spring for real server software back in ~2007ish, so we've been using WHS and drive pooling. This thread makes me both more illuminated and more angry.

Really? This is some kind of a bounds-checking issue because nobody thought you'd go above 1TB on Win2k3? That's silly.
Time to issue each employee their own USB 500GB drive that they are required to leave connected to their machine, and that you script to back up to your central server every night.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Really? This is some kind of a bounds-checking issue because nobody thought you'd go above 1TB on Win2k3? That's silly.
Time to issue each employee their own USB 500GB drive that they are required to leave connected to their machine, and that you script to back up to your central server every night.

--Patrick
I've a mind to just install XP on it, and have syncback pro just do mirroring, and devil take them all.

Been thinking a lot about Ant Man tonight. Specifically Hank Pym, reading up on his history.

And of course, it has my mind buzzing with ideas for a comic series.

Then I get depressed because the odds of me ever getting the chance to write that series for Marvel are smaller than Ant Man himself.

Only reason that your chances are small is if you don't ever submit anything. Take the chance, worst is that they send you a form letter.

Been thinking a lot about Ant Man tonight. Specifically Hank Pym, reading up on his history.

And of course, it has my mind buzzing with ideas for a comic series.

Then I get depressed because the odds of me ever getting the chance to write that series for Marvel are smaller than Ant Man himself.
Aren't they using Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym, or are you just interested in Hank Pym?

Aren't they using Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym, or are you just interested in Hank Pym?
Hank Pym. Scott Lang's not only going to be Ant-Man in the movie, but also a new solo comic series that's starting soon. But yeah, it's Pym that I'm thinking about.

Whah! The sound on my computer is borked. After extensive testing and annoyance over the past week, it has been detrmined by a panel of experts (me and eriol), that a new card is needed.

I have about a week left before I have to be back in the office, and I need to type up a bunch of stuff in that time and I can't listen to music, and in my downtime I can't game 'cuz I can't hear anything.

The new card should get here in... about a week.

Grrr.

GasBandit

Staff member
Whah! The sound on my computer is borked. After extensive testing and annoyance over the past week, it has been detrmined by a panel of experts (me and eriol), that a new card is needed.

I have about a week left before I have to be back in the office, and I need to type up a bunch of stuff in that time and I can't listen to music, and in my downtime I can't game 'cuz I can't hear anything.

The new card should get here in... about a week.

Grrr.
Can you just hook up your phone to your speakers in the meantime via the headphone jack, and play your music that way?

Can you just hook up your phone to your speakers in the meantime via the headphone jack, and play your music that way?
Yup. Or at least something similar. No matter what I plug into the PC, the sound's screwy, so Songza on the tablet it is.

Still can't play Skyrim though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yup. Or at least something similar. No matter what I plug into the PC, the sound's screwy, so Songza on the tablet it is.

Sure you can. Get Eriol to stand behind you with a drum and beat it and grunt in a manly fashion every time you do something of consequence.

Also have him memorize every shout, and actually shout them when you use them.

If that's too hard, just have him memorize the ones you use most often. For me, that'd probably be FUS RO DAH, WULD NA KEST, KRII LUN AUS, JOOR ZAH FRUL, and LOK VA KOOR. Oh, and just the first words of Aura Whisper and Become Ethereal, LAAS and FEIM, respectively.

Also, once in a while he needs to say, "I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took an arrow to the knee" and "Let me guess. Someone stole your sweetroll," in a terrible accent.

@Squidleybits "What do dark clouds mean?"

Me {internal squees of joy as my wife is taking an interest in the natural world} "Well..." <-- 15 minute monologue about how to determine the weather based upon clouds and other natural phenomena

@Squidleybits "I meant what does it mean on the app on my phone."

"Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't."

"Olfrid!! Patron of the great clan Battle-Born! A name I'm sure you know well!"

"It's a fine day with you around."

No matter what jack I hooked my headphones to, the motherboard's on-board sound brought an audible hum to it. So I went with a Sound Blaster USB widget. Plugged an O2 headphone amp into that, and my M50 headphones into *that*. :D