Where Do You Stand? (2016 Election)

Seemed weird to me that Google had listed Trump as winning certain areas with 0% reporting.

As the day goes on, it's looking more and more like a Clinton vs Trump election.

As the day goes on, it's looking more and more like a Clinton vs Trump election.
Interestingly, both Clinton and Sanders poll pretty high against Trump (something like 60/36 Clinton/Trump and 55/43 Sanders/Trump). Now, this doesn't mean it'll LAST... they still have time to Dukakis this up, but it does seem to indicate that that ether Democrats are willing to show up just to keep Trump out or Republicans are already staying home.

Apparently Mitt Romney is going to give a speech on Thursday about the state of the 2016 election.

The problem being that the people who are voting for Trump aren't going to listen to him - and it's those people whose minds need changing, so what can a press conference possibly hope to achieve?

Some are hoping he'll announce his candidacy and force a brokered convention. An "establishment trick" in other words to avoid giving the candidacy outright to Trump.

I don't know, but this is shaping up to be a weird, weird election cycle.

Spend some time focusing on your local, state, and federal elections other than president, folks. We may not hold much sway over the presidency, but we do have a voice in who makes it far enough up the ladder that they get a good shot at it. Make sure your local and congressional leaders and representatives are honest and share your values.

Apparently Mitt Romney is going to give a speech on Thursday about the state of the 2016 election.

The problem being that the people who are voting for Trump aren't going to listen to him - and it's those people whose minds need changing, so what can a press conference possibly hope to achieve?

Some are hoping he'll announce his candidacy and force a brokered convention. An "establishment trick" in other words to avoid giving the candidacy outright to Trump.

I don't know, but this is shaping up to be a weird, weird election cycle.
Unless he's running third party, he's basically too late to have any sort of impact on the election as a candidate. Only 6 states still have their primary filing still open, so he'd only be able to get on on 6 ballots. Regardless, I don't know why he's doing this NOW. If he wanted to be involved, the time to do it was 6 months ago.

Zappit

Staff member
The Republican establishment might throw in with Bloomberg, and try to get him to run. If for no other reason, they could intentionally Nader Trump to save the party from his insanity.

Spend some time focusing on your local, state, and federal elections other than president, folks. We may not hold much sway over the presidency, but we do have a voice in who makes it far enough up the ladder that they get a good shot at it. Make sure your local and congressional leaders and representatives are honest and share your values.
Too late. My state has been sold to the highest bidder.

Can a Trump mind even be changed?

I asked my mom why she's voting for Trump and she said because he "tells it like it is." I asked her to specify what "it" refers to and in what way Trump is telling it so exactly. She shrugged and said, "I don't know, I just like him." No opinion on policy, no knowledge of what his intentions are, and there's a million Trumpers like her--they're voting for him because he's loud and angry.

Is there any reasoning to be had there?

And is the Republican party desperate enough to put Romney in the microwave and see if he's still edible?

Can a Trump mind even be changed?

I asked my mom why she's voting for Trump and she said because he "tells it like it is." I asked her to specify what "it" refers to and in what way Trump is telling it so exactly. She shrugged and said, "I don't know, I just like him." No opinion on policy, no knowledge of what his intentions are, and there's a million Trumpers like her--they're voting for him because he's loud and angry.

Is there any reasoning to be had there?
Do y'all remember mayor Rob Ford? Well, y'all seem to be on the way to electing his doppleganger your president. Trump Nation should be fun to watch. I just good there's a crack story involved. "yeah, I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

GasBandit

Staff member
Do y'all remember mayor Rob Ford? Well, y'all seem to be on the way to electing his doppleganger your president. Trump Nation should be fun to watch. I just good there's a crack story involved. "yeah, I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."
No, no, how a Trump story goes is "I know the most about crack. I'm the best at crack. They asked me 4 or 5 times to smoke crack but I didn't inhale, not like these guys, that one's a loser and this one's a liar. But I invented crack, then I invented the cure for crack. So we're going to make America great again."

No, no, how a Trump story goes is "I know the most about crack. I'm the best at crack. They asked me 4 or 5 times to smoke crack but I didn't inhale, not like these guys, that one's a loser and this one's a liar. But I invented crack, then I invented the cure for crack. So we're going to make America great again."
Damn, I can even hear the point where he'd do his creepy quiet voice before getting boisterous again.

Mitt Romney really laid into Trump. I think he showed more human emotion in this instance than his entire 2012 campaign.

EDIT: And Trump's mature response essentially being that he could've had Romney suck his dick if he gave Romney the order.

Last edited:
....did the presumptive candidate for the GOP presidential nomination just expound upon how big his penis is while his primary opponent ate a booger?

....did the presumptive candidate for the GOP presidential nomination just expound upon how big his penis is while his primary opponent ate a booger?
Yes.

And once again he advocated torture, war crimes, and general tyranny. He's all but admitted he's going to take a big steaming dump on the Oval Office carpet, then wipe his ass with the Constitution.

But what's even more galling is in the face of all that, Cruz has pledged to support him if he's the nominee. Thereby giving tacit approval to torture, war crimes, and general tyranny.

Your Republican Party, folks. Well deserving of getting the country nuked out of existence by January 25, 2017.

But what's even more galling is in the face of all that, Cruz has pledged to support him if he's the nominee.
Well it's a really rock and a hard place situation. They've already made the pledge to support whoever wins the nomination.

If they say, "Well, no, I wouldn't support Trump" then they're essentially giving up the high ground and going back on their pledge. Further, they're telling the people voting in the primaries that they wouldn't support the person the people elected by vote. It's a very bad thing to do, and would damage their place in the party.

If they say they will support him, then they get people like you complaining about the pledge they took before they found that Trump was a contender.

I don't think there's a good way around this, other than to publicly declare that they will uphold their pledge, and support the voter's choice while also saying, "Look at this guy! He's terrible! Don't vote for him if you don't want me to support him!"

But at the end of the day it's just politics, and they may ultimately change their mind.

One thing I did get, though, is a distinct sense that Trump isn't a shoe-in right now, and a lot of people are working hard to make sure he doesn't get the nomination. If it becomes a brokered convention I'd like to believe that cooler heads will prevail, but there's still a lot of primaries to go, and I'm hoping that he doesn't come out ahead.

So... I have a legit question regarding Republican delegates: What do they do when a winner drops out? Does it all goes to second place or do the delegates get to decide for themselves? Because I could see one of the reasons being why people still aren't dropping out is entirely because of what would happen to their delegates if they do... no one wants Trump to win or to be responsible for him winning, so even the guys who can't win are trying to keep him from winning by staying in the race.

I looked yesterday, and there's no clear guidance. The person dropping out can encourage their delegates to vote for a person they select (ie pledge their delegates to another candidate), but the delegates are free to choose.

I looked yesterday, and there's no clear guidance. The person dropping out can encourage their delegates to vote for a person they select (ie pledge their delegates to another candidate), but the delegates are free to choose.
... which means Trump needs to win a clear win of the popular vote, which is why everyone else is staying in. It's the same thing as Bernie. ALL of this is just Kabuki for the voters at this point unless Trump wins a huge on the 15th.

Been on Youtube a bit today. Three videos ago, there was an a Republican-supported ad against Trump. Last video, it was a Democrat-supported ad against Trump.

Trump is bringing the country together!

Don't usually like posting stuff from Gawker but...

Establishment Republicans Are Delusional About Hillary Clinton and in Denial About Trump.

Even though he was absent, Trump loomed everywhere: in Marco Rubio’s speech, where he warned against letting the conservative movement be “hijacked by someone who isn’t a conservative.” During the debate-watching party, Trump’s comments, especially about his giant dick, led to such a confusing mixture of cheers and boos that Gawker news editor Gabrielle Bluestone and I couldn’t tell what the hell was going on. Everything felt ragged and jittery and disorganized this year: the schedule kept changing. The speakers repeated their stump speeches with noticeably little verve (Ted Cruz has been making that Leavenworth joke since the fall.) And everywhere, there was a creeping sense that maybe things are really, truly fucked for the GOP this time.

There’s maybe no better example than NRA president executive vice-president Wayne LaPierre, who in the midst of his annual gun-humping address accidentally referred to Hillary Clinton as the president. LaPierre was talking about women and gun ownership, or trying to.

“No woman should be left to face evil with empty hands,” he roared. “To all of America’s women, you aren’t free if you aren’t free to defend yourselves. And if President Clinton—President Obama—let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”
He tried again: “If Hillary Clinton or anyone else denies you that right, they don’t really care about you at all.”

Everyone clapped when they were supposed to. But the unintentional point lingered there, awkwardly, long after he left the stage.
The bit about the NRA guy is pretty sad. Even the biggest Republican supporters don't think they can win this one.

B

BErt

...I'm watching this goddamn Michigan primary with the intensity of an overtime playoff hockey game. C'MON BERNIE!!!