Where Do You Stand? (2016 Election)

Ehh... probably. He's probably out at this point. But that just means that now he gets to make Clinton squirm as she tries to get his endorsement.

Dave

Staff member
Elizabeth Warren should have shit or got off the pot and backed Bernie. Very disappointed in the voting public. Trump vs. Clinton. We all lose.

Elizabeth Warren should have shit or got off the pot and backed Bernie. Very disappointed in the voting public. Trump vs. Clinton. We all lose.
I think Warren was a bit worried about how it would have looked if she backed Bernie instead of Hillary. It would have raised more than a few eyebrows among her female Democratic fellows, especially since this is really their first chance to get the big chair. That and Hillary's made her bones with the party in a way few of them had, which is part of the reason why she didn't run.

The game is still the game, even if you're a woman I guess.

Bernie could still have a shot if remaining states go for him, but considering the turn-out, it's a long shot. If he's still running by the time my state gets around to its primary, I'll be voting for him, but that's still a month and a half from now and a lot could change by then.

It's just that with the positive momentum behind Bernie nonetheless failing him, I can't see the younger voters getting off their asses to vote for Clinton, even if to keep Trump out of office.

Dave

Staff member
Fucking millennials. Fuck. Them. They wanted a revolution. They wanted to make a difference. Then the primaries happened and they were like, "But it's spring break, bruh!"

Fuck you.

Fucking millennials. Fuck. Them. They wanted a revolution. They wanted to make a difference. Then the primaries happened and they were like, "But it's spring break, bruh!"

Fuck you.
How was your voting record when you were that age? (please no dave is old jokes)

Fuck you.
You're delusional if you ever thought it would happen another way.

Senator Clinton will defeat Donald Trump, and the margin will be something like 55%-45%. Trump is such an off-putting figure that only the most hardcore Republicans will vote for him, while Sen. Clinton will take a majority of Democrats and Independents. Many Republicans will stay home, leaving Trump out to dry.

Watch.

Dave

Staff member
How was your voting record when you were that age? (please no dave is old jokes)
I've voted in every presidential election since I turned 18. I will admit this is the firs time I've caucused, but that's only because I was in the military and then lived in states where you couldn't vote in the primaries unless you were in a party - which I wasn't.

My first vote was for Reagan, if you can believe it.

Fuck you.
As a millennial ... yup, pretty much. I've voted in every presidential election I've been able to, but this is the first year I've given a shit about the primaries and I don't think the importance has hit my peers. Even Donald Trump said Bernie's supporters are "all talk" and it's probably the closest Trump's been to saying something true during this whole election. So they make Bernie gif sets and memes and such, but when it comes to actually going out to vote, they don't even know the day. And then they blame the government for not telling them about this stuff--douches, why would the system you want to change tell you how to change it? It's going to take a little bit of effort on our fucking part.

I mean hell, absentee ballot. No need to go in and vote. How fucking easy does it need to be? Text BERN to a national voter service to vote?

Millenial here. Voted in EVERY election (primary, general, local, whatever) since I turned 18. About half of those were absentee ballots but still counts.

Looking at the MO primary, Sanders lost by less than 2000 votes and Cruz only lost by about 2500. Kind of surprised it was that close.

We should keep in mind that just because a candidate won a certain amount of delegates doesn't mean they'll vote for who they're sent to vote for, thanks to our broken electoral college system.

We should keep in mind that just because a candidate won a certain amount of delegates doesn't mean they'll vote for who they're sent to vote for, thanks to our broken electoral college system.
In the primaries they actually have to vote for their pledged candidate.

Ehh... probably. He's probably out at this point. But that just means that now he gets to make Clinton squirm as she tries to get his endorsement.
Not necessarily, according to this analyst:
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2016...nie-Sanders-can-win-the-Democratic-nomination

The theory proposed in the posting was that Clinton's biggest lead would come yesterday, but that most of Sander's strongest states come in June.

Hence in a static national tie, we should expect there to be 4 apparent “momentum changes.” First, Clinton dominance through March 15. Then a Sanders comeback until April 19. Then, a brief Clinton comeback until May 3, followed by another Sanders comeback to finally bring the delegate count back to somewhere around even. But this great drama would really just be a side effect of the way the primary calendar is structured.
I can't pretend to know enough about these things to have an opinion on the accuracy of the blog. But it's a heartening theory if you're a Sanders supporter.

Millenial here. Voted in EVERY election (primary, general, local, whatever) since I turned 18. About half of those were absentee ballots but still counts.

Looking at the MO primary, Sanders lost by less than 2000 votes and Cruz only lost by about 2500. Kind of surprised it was that close.
Neither of those are finished, might be Friday before a final vote tally is done. Provisional and Absentee ballots still are being counted (and disturbing because they aren't always) and Mail-In ballots have until Thursday to arrive and be counted. I guarantee that if the vote is within 5000 votes in either race that a recount will be called for.

Necronic

Staff member
Bernie Sander went from like 4% to something like 35 in a matter of months. It's not a matter of millennials not getting out to vote, it's that even with a 1000% increase in popularity it was still an incredible long shot.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bernies success was causing more older deme to get out and vote for Clinton since she has a much better chance to stump the trump.

I think the biggest thing that held him back was his inability to capture the minority vote. Clinton was always predicted to do incredibly well amongst minorities. Sanders had a hell of a rise, and I think his positions will be reflected in future elections, but he was a dark horse against a political juggernaut.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bernies success was causing more older deme to get out and vote for Clinton since she has a much better chance to stump the trump.
I disagree. Both Trump and Sanders have the "i don't like how things are done now" type. The Sanders/Trump voter exists, and i would guess isn't a rarity. Sure MOST wouldn't vote Trump, but enough might.

GasBandit

Staff member
The media is crowing about Kasich like he just won the nomination, when in fact he's only won his first state - his home state - which will also probably be his last state. All the establishment mouthpieces are saying he could win a brokered convention. I doubt that, and even if he did, every republican who voted for Trump or Cruz would stay home in november. Abarring 3rd party insurgency, which amounts to the same thing.

It could stand some judicious pruning.

--Patrick
Yes, but right now it's more like they dumped a large swath of it into the compost heap and now it's growing some kind of semi-sentient, malevolent fungus. Everybody knows what's feeding it but no one actually wants to dirty their hands dealing with it.

Yes, but right now it's more like they dumped a large swath of it into the compost heap and now it's growing some kind of semi-sentient, malevolent fungus. Everybody knows what's feeding it but no one actually wants to dirty their hands dealing with it.
They've fed it for so long they don't know how to stop, even though they realize it's ready to kill us all.

He's definitely not the lead singer of Stryper.

And this just in: Michael Sweet announced that he is not running for President.

I retract my original statement and replace it with this one:
It could benefit from some apoptosis.

--Pateick

...this may be the best analogy I have yet to see to describe what their deal is. Well done!

With Trump, it feels like the Republican party is finally seeing the danger in wanting a dumb populace.

Also, Bernie let Clinton have Missouri instead of doing a recount, for the sake of saving Missouri taxpayers the money.

Worse - Kentucky.
Oh like Nebraska is rainbow unicorns & cotton candy clouds :rolleyes:

On my 18th birthday I took my lunch period & went down to the school auditorium & cast my vote for Bush #41. This took some degree of forethought since you had to be on the books 30 days prior to election day in order to vote. Every presidential election since, I have voted Republican. I'm a moderate, middle of the road, fence straddler.

I just can't... CAN'T pull the trigger for Trump. I absolutely won't vote for Hillary. So I don't know what I am going to do.