Whats for Dinner?

So I didn't make this myself but I wanted to show y'all anyway.

The family and me went to eat at my favorite restaurant today, and among other things (various dumplings, chinese-style mussels, stuffed giant shrimp in black-bean sauce, and peking duck) we shared a whole turbot steamed with veggies and soy sauce and oh my god it was so good. Tender and smooth and light and perfect. Definitely one of the best pieces of fish I've ever had.

So I didn't make this myself but I wanted to show y'all anyway.

The family and me went to eat at my favorite restaurant today, and among other things (various dumplings, chinese-style mussels, stuffed giant shrimp in black-bean sauce, and peking duck) we shared a whole turbot steamed with veggies and soy sauce and oh my god it was so good. Tender and smooth and light and perfect. Definitely one of the best pieces of fish I've ever had.

This is one of my mother-in-law's favorite dishes to order when we go out. So yummy!

Tried something new for me today, making sorta homemade boudin kolaches. Savory kolaches are a German/Texas thing that have evolved from the sweet kolaches that are seen across more of the country. I just used grands biscuits and some store bought boudin, flattened the biscuit into an oblong shape put some of the boudin onto the biscuit and rolled it up and baked to the instructions for the biscuit. I think they came out pretty good for a brunch type item.

Tried something new for me today, making sorta homemade boudin kolaches. Savory kolaches are a German/Texas thing that have evolved from the sweet kolaches that are seen across more of the country. I just used grands biscuits and some store bought boudin, flattened the biscuit into an oblong shape put some of the boudin onto the biscuit and rolled it up and baked to the instructions for the biscuit. I think they came out pretty good for a brunch type item.
If you think that's something, you should try this thing called "pigs in a blanket."

--Patrick

Uhm, I think that you're taking my statement wrong. I was just meaning that I hadn't tried making them before. Depending on what variation of pigs in a blanket you are talking about, there is a good chance that I've made them.

Uhm, I think that you're taking my statement wrong. I was just meaning that I hadn't tried making them before. Depending on what variation of pigs in a blanket you are talking about, there is a good chance that I've made them.
"Pigs in a blanket" is generally hot dogs (or sometimes breakfast sausages) wrapped in crescent roll dough, as opposed to your fancy-schmantzy sausage wrapped in biscuit dough.

--Patrick

teachin the boy to cook. This is from a couple days ago: Baked fish and vegetables over rice. Turned out really good.
2017-01-15 18.56.29 sm.jpg

Tonight: Pizza. Because I had shit go down at work, so I worked a 12 hour day, and then as soon as I got home, my wife popped stitches and I hadda take her back to the doctor to get closed up. Heh.

The other day I made a sort of "tex mex stir fry"

Basically it boneless chicken breasts, red and green sweet peppers, and an onion, stir fried with homemade fajita seasoning, and served over spanish style yellow rice. It was good.

Avocado and melloco salad. I love this thing. (Wikipedia says that melloco is called ullucus in english, but it's the first time I heard that word)

Avocado and melloco salad. I love this thing. (Wikipedia says that melloco is called ullucus in english, but it's the first time I heard that word)
I enjoy Avocados. I have never heard of either melloco or ullucus. I hope it's delicious.

I enjoy Avocados. I have never heard of either melloco or ullucus. I hope it's delicious.
I always roam the 'exotic foods' sections of any grocery store I'm in. I ate a prickly pear tonight just because I'd never had one before.

And while I've seen jicama, I've never seen melloco/ullucus, ever.

Nor have I. Best I can tell is it's similar in texture to a water chestnut. No idea about the flavor.
We had pork stew with fennel, leeks, and prunes in a creamy sauce over egg noodles. It's significantly better than it sounds.

--Patrick

And while I've seen jicama, I've never seen melloco/ullucus, ever.
Jicama is to my mind very similar to a really mildly flavoured apple. Not the same but close enough that it's something you can say "it's kind of like this" and it's not absurd to say so. And honestly, that's a substitute in some recipes.

Melloco is something like a potato but not quite. It's crunchy on the outside and kind of slimy inside. Also, it taste better than it sounds. I like it in salads and also as a snack.

My stomach is wrong and I'm having trouble eating certain foods so I tried vegetarian tacos! The ground vegetable and soy whatever is awesome! And I don't feel sick!

My stomach is wrong and I'm having trouble eating certain foods so I tried vegetarian tacos! The ground vegetable and soy whatever is awesome! And I don't feel sick!
Assuming it was TVP, we'll have to have you over for a kickass veggie Shepard's Pie recipe we have. Let us know your allergies, and we can probably accommodate! As soon as we're unpacked and have access to our full suite of books that is!

...did you get bit by a lone star tick or something?

--Patrick
Maybe! We live in the woods. The last time I ate ground beef I got sick at the table. I don't want a repeat so I'm trying to eat diffèrent things. I had sushi for lunch and it was fine. I made a really nice pork roast on the weekend and I couldn't even stand the sight of it, so I made it for the family and had rice and vegetables.[DOUBLEPOST=1488864069,1488863944][/DOUBLEPOST]
Assuming it was TVP, we'll have to have you over for a kickass veggie Shepard's Pie recipe we have. Let us know your allergies, and we can probably accommodate! As soon as we're unpacked and have access to our full suite of books that is!
I think so? I got it at Pete's in the freezer section. And yes please! Sounds good.

I'm not sure if this is an allergy or just my stomach being ruined by medication. I see a surgeon next month.

I think so? I got it at Pete's in the freezer section. And yes please! Sounds good.

I'm not sure if this is an allergy or just my stomach being ruined by medication. I see a surgeon next month.
Either way, I asked specifically because we once made this exact recipe for some friends that came over, and one of them needed an emergency dose of Benadryl (anti-hives, not airway-related) because it turned out she was allergic to Soy and didn't tell us, because she knew we ate meat, and thus thought we'd never serve her something with Soy. After that we were more careful on what to serve her. That was her ONE allergy.