Whats for Dinner?

I love cooking for only myself once in a while. Big bowl of steel-cut oats porridge, with dried fruits and a shitload of allspice and cinnamon.

My wife's gettin jealous that I'm doing all the cooking. Before we got together, she did all the cooking for her family. She said she missed it. So she made dinner tonight. Definitely tex-mex :D

Here's what she said on FB: "I cooked dinner tonight! Homemade beef enchiladas and cherry turnovers for desert....cause this is how we roll.
"

Marh 19 2017 Enchiladas Cindy Made.jpg

I felt the urge to cook tonight. Not microwave or slow cook but look up new recipes and cook. Bacon seems to the only meat I can eat which cracks me up, so I made a bacon appetizer meal.

Bacon wrapped waster chestnuts
Baked crostini with cream cheese topped with garlic wilted shredded kale and Brussels sprouts
The same roasted crostini with cream cheese and crumbled bacon because I had a lot of bacon accidents with the first item.

Pud hung out with me.

IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG

@Terrik come on man! How did you make that bok choy dish? This cripple needsta know.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Oops how did I miss this notification?

The bok choi was nothing special really. It was simply your garden variety bok choy, and a Shanghai variety called 上海菜苗. All we did was cook it with 2 TBSP oil, and I later added crushed Chinese red peppers. We made it in lieu of rice. The real good stuff was the mapo tofu. We usually make our own sauce, but to save time we started buying this:

mapotofu.jpg

Which, I have to say, is actually pretty good.

No pictures, but I made faux-asian noodles. It was spaghetti mixed with soy sauce, crushed red pepper, chili powder, chopped garlic, and sriracha. It might be the most disgusting thing I've ever made.

I also want 5 more helpings of it.

Been doing keto for a while, but we stopped by a nice Korean place on the way to a boardgame meet, and there was amazing dolsot bibimbap...

Memphis Blues BBQ
$^^%&(*%*(#@*#!!!!!!! God damnit. I really like that place. There was one in Kelowna when I lived there. Excellent BBQ. The brisket in particular is spectacular. I have yet to find its equal.

That said, Bonehead's BBQ in Halifax here is great. May not be AS good, but it's definitely the same range, and it's been long enough since Memphis Blues that I can't say for certain. I'm also surprised that other than Korean BBQ, there doesn't appear to be any other BBQ places in town (at least according to Google, and Montana's doesn't count, as they're a decent restaurant (I don't mean to put them down), but they're not a BBQ place IMO).