What are you playing?

I know Gas is complaining, but it just reminds me that I still need to play Long War all the way through still. :p
Long War is extremely well named. It's a long, hard slog against a superior enemy that is, oftentimes, completely unfair. The scenario Gas describes is usually the norm rather than the exception. The ship mission is pretty much always a complete wipe for me, to the point where I decided I'm just going to skip the mission entirely from now on.

I played through Long War once and I largely enjoyed it, but I have no desire to play it again.

Long War is extremely well named. It's a long, hard slog against a superior enemy that is, oftentimes, completely unfair. The scenario Gas describes is usually the norm rather than the exception. The ship mission is pretty much always a complete wipe for me, to the point where I decided I'm just going to skip the mission entirely from now on.

I played through Long War once and I largely enjoyed it, but I have no desire to play it again.
I started it right before XCOM 2 came out, so I didn't finish it.

@Squidleybits

27624759_10156385645497079_667763832987036114_o.jpg

So that's my current set up of 3 pieces of the Anjanath set which gives me the adrenaline skill. Removing 1 of the pieces grays it out so I guess you don't need the full set. I'll let you know if I get any benefit from completing it once I do. Also, in the biggest revelation in fantasy/gaming history, female armor looks like ass.

Last edited:
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology comes out on Feb 13, and the PC port of Trails of Cold Steel 2 comes out on the 14th, so in a couple of weeks I will be in a JRPG coma.

I rolled the dice on that one, went in with an inexperienced team, knowing I wasn't going to complete the mission.

Still ended up doing decently, secured some corpses and tech, got some promotions, only lost one. Pretty much as soon as I encountered the Chryssalids, I did the bounding overwatch retreat. Oddly enough, the lone scout who triggered the pod survived, praise be to RNJesus.

Making another runthrough of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Major near-end-game spoilers ho.

Guys! Guys! The game... the game actually lets you unleash deathfog on Arx! It just lets you do that if you want, and kill everyone in the whole city. Wipe them all out. All of them. And the logical consequences of that too. Did you have some preferred traders? Not any more, cause they're dead! Were there any quests you might not have completed yet? Too bad, the questgivers and quest NPCs are all dead! They're just all dead, all of them dead, man!

GasBandit

Staff member
Making another runthrough of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Major near-end-game spoilers ho.

Guys! Guys! The game... the game actually lets you unleash deathfog on Arx! It just lets you do that if you want, and kill everyone in the whole city. Wipe them all out. All of them. And the logical consequences of that too. Did you have some preferred traders? Not any more, cause they're dead! Were there any quests you might not have completed yet? Too bad, the questgivers and quest NPCs are all dead! They're just all dead, all of them dead, man!
Terrik, Snuffles, Dei and I actually did that on our first playthrough by half-accident. An argument ensued, followed by loading an earlier save. The argument was because Terrik, having jumped ship to the god-king's side while the rest of us did not, had that as a quest objective.

We resolved to go finish all the other quests and THEN come back and unleash the fog, but we forgot and just moved on without doing so.

@Squidleybits

View attachment 26629

So that's my current set up of 3 pieces of the Anjanath set which gives me the adrenaline skill. Removing 1 of the pieces grays it out so I guess you don't need the full set. I'll let you know if I get any benefit from completing it once I do. Also, in the biggest revelation in fantasy/gaming history, female armor looks like ass.
Thanks for letting me know! I'm wearing three pieces of a set, but it doesn't give a skill, so I wasn't aware that there were any bonuses.

Some of the female armour looks ok so far, none of it looks awesome though.

At least the cat armour is looking good?

I think if the set has a bonus the top skill will say "X power #" x being the monster it comes from, # being number of pieces needed to unlock it.

The palico armor is great. The anjanath set turns him into a little t-rex. I had a brief dust up with an orogaron that left behind enough to make it's helm for the little guy and I jumped right on that.

xJvwNqQ.png

Last edited:
I think if the set has a bonus the top skill will say "X power #" being the monster it comes from, # being number of pieces needed to unlock it.

The palico armor is great. The anjanath set turns him into a little t-rex. I had a brief dust up with an orogaron that left behind enough to make it's helm for the little guy and I jumped right on that.

View attachment 26634
I know what I need to make for my cat.

Sadly this looks to be the second night in a row I won't get to play.

I'm actually jealous about Monster Hunter World not being PC available for several months.[DOUBLEPOST=1517435937,1517435541][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh cool, the first thing Siege of Dragonspear does is take away every dime you've earned through the vanilla Baldur's Gate. Not only does it take away all your gold, but it makes sure you do a quest to retrieve it that ends with a big fuck you, you're stuff's gone. I'm just gonna cheat and get my gold back. Fuck you.

Fuck off. Fuck off with this bullshit Metroid bullshit.

I'm actually jealous about Monster Hunter World not being PC available for several months.[DOUBLEPOST=1517435937,1517435541][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh cool, the first thing Siege of Dragonspear does is take away every dime you've earned through the vanilla Baldur's Gate. Not only does it take away all your gold, but it makes sure you do a quest to retrieve it that ends with a big fuck you, you're stuff's gone. I'm just gonna cheat and get my gold back. Fuck you.

Fuck off. Fuck off with this bullshit Metroid bullshit.
Well, you have all your stuff, so you don't need the gold at all. And I am pretty sure you get some of the gold back later as the quest continues. Don't write it off yet.

figmentPez

Staff member
Type:Rider This is an aesthetic platformer, with some light puzzle elements, that aims to be a visual trip through the history of typography. The base art style reminds me a lot of NightSky, but it diverges from that and does some cool things with visuals. However, it's a shame that the game is highly inconsistent in everything but visuals. The controls are floaty and the physics are inconsistent. If the devs hadn't tried to make the game difficult, this probably wouldn't have mattered, but there are quite a few segements in the game that are frustrating because the game expects things that end up being heavily influenced by chance. Thankfully most of the game has generous checkpoints. (Though, fuck the last segement of Times New Roman, that is just a horribly designed "puzzle" with one of the worst choices of music in the game.)

Speaking of the music, it's also highly inconsistent. At times it's really beautiful and compliments the visuals nicely. At other points it's grating and repetitive. Oh, and the UI is terrible, with a few bugs that made me have quit and reload the game to continue. Plus, the game requires you to use the analog stick, with no support for the d-pad.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
All right, you knuckleheads. You've talked me in to Subnautica. Nearly 5 gig. Took me almost 4 minutes to download it!

GasBandit

Staff member
All right, you knuckleheads. You've talked me in to Subnautica. Nearly 5 gig. Took me almost 4 minutes to download it!
Jeez, when you gonna get a real internet connection, granddad? Dial up isn't a thing any more!

PS: This would be a good game to stream.

PPS: It also supports VR stuff.

Word of warning on Subnautica: despite it being out of early access now, it's still a bit rough around the edges. There are bugs, some of them game-breaking, and the performance and pop-in issues have been improved but not entirely fixed. Also, the VR version apparently has more problems than the desktop version.

Having said that, though, I put Subnautica firmly in the category of "good enough game to put up with the bugs", a category that also includes the likes of Bethesda's games and Dwarf Fortress.

Still playing a ton of Elite. I've been pvping, but rather than do my usual of flying huge fuckyou ships, I've gone the opposite direction, engineering a small, fast ship that is meant to get in close, under the guns of larger ships, and tear them apart with short range burst lasers and rail guns. I present to you: The Shiv

I present to you: The Shiv
In MoO:2 I frequently prefer to play as a custom race I call "the Rushers" who are designed to climb the tech tree as quickly as possible and simply out-science the opposition, but I have also had fun building a race that maxes out the inherent defense of the combat ships, a sort of advanced Alkari, if you will. There have been plenty of times I would take out an armada with only 4 tiny ships because they just couldn't hit me, and I would cackle as their entire fleet would unload all their ordnance and miss every. Single. Time.

--Patrick

In MoO:2 I frequently prefer to play as a custom race I call "the Rushers" who are designed to climb the tech tree as quickly as possible and simply out-science the opposition, but I have also had fun building a race that maxes out the inherent defense of the combat ships, a sort of advanced Alkari, if you will. There have been plenty of times I would take out an armada with only 4 tiny ships because they just couldn't hit me, and I would cackle as their entire fleet would unload all their ordnance and miss every. Single. Time.

--Patrick
Putting this ship together goes against my every instinct in elite, because I had to really go outside the box to make it viable. The base hull is the eagle, which is the very first dedicated combat ship you access in the game, it's super small and very cheap. It's also really fun to fly, so my challenge was to put one together that could actually do something in pvp.

It has the smallest shield generator available, basically able to absorb a single lucky shot, but because it's such a small generator it can recharge in about six seconds, most shield recharge times are measured in seconds. This combined with it's speed and some ultra light weight armor allow it to survive when getting in close. I've also done some heavy modifying on the weapons, since the ship can only fit three small type weapons, to turn what was once pea shooters into surprisingly effective weapons, but only from a distance of about 500m or closer

I finally got into the closed beta of a certain collectible card game. It uses MAGIC spells and lands to GATHER mana and you face opponents in some kind of ARENA.

Not allowed to share any info though.

I finally got into the closed beta of a certain collectible card game. It uses MAGIC spells and lands to GATHER mana and you face opponents in some kind of ARENA.

Guys, I think Frank is in the long rumored HALO CCG.

I wonder if it’s that one run by the Weserve Officers Twaining Corps.

—Patrick

Fallout 4

It's currently available for play for free for the weekend. And I was kinda getting into it. Great graphics, great intro, good action. All that good stuff.

And then the game crashed on me. Twice. Once just during the character customization at the start, so I had to go through all that again.

And the loading screens are unforgivable.

Three strikes. YER OUTTA HERE! Uninstalled.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica!

So far, so good. No crashes or noteworthy glitches. Moving right along, now that I know what to look for from previous playthroughs. It's fun, like before, but not as buggy!

Fallout 4

It's currently available for play for free for the weekend. And I was kinda getting into it. Great graphics, great intro, good action. All that good stuff.

And then the game crashed on me. Twice. Once just during the character customization at the start, so I had to go through all that again.

And the loading screens are unforgivable.

Three strikes. YER OUTTA HERE! Uninstalled.
Like all things Bethesda, you basically NEED the Unofficial Patch to fix the shit they won't. With it, it's WAY, WAY more stable than it was during launch.

Owlboy

Played this a bit after uninstalling Fallout 4. It's a delightfully charming platform. Amazing music, solid graphics, some clever gameplay. Mom walked into the room while I was playing it and said it looked just like the kind of games I used to play as a kid.

The level design is a little confusing, though, especially without a map. And the hit and damage system is incredibly frustrating because when you get hit, the impact throws you away. If you're close to a wall, there's an animation where you smack into it. It's all way too time consuming for what should be a quick hit animation.

It's not enough to deter me from playing, though. I'm quite enjoying it.

Monster Hunter World: I thought the Paolomu was really easy, but later tried to help someone else fight theirs after "upgrading" my gear to different monster parts, and turns out I was just accidentally really well-prepared.

That's what they call me an Ace Hunter, and not because that's been pre-designated by the cutscenes.

That ugly beast is a pain if you don't have flash pods to deflate it's neck thing. Or at least that's where I find they tear me up, while slamming down on me. Then you get stunned and they crash into you again.

That ugly beast is a pain if you don't have flash pods to deflate it's neck thing. Or at least that's where I find they tear me up, while slamming down on me. Then you get stunned and they crash into you again.
I had a feeling those hits were rough, but oddly it always missed.

That's why I never like saying one monster is easy and another difficult in those or the Souls games. The attack patterns and behavior are so diverse that they're going to sync differently with everyone.