What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
So I really need to find an alien containment thing so they will breed in captivity. I need to find that. I have an aquarium, but that's really nothing more than decoration and I generally don't decorate my survival places because they serve no real purpose.
Yep. Find more wrecks! The blueprint is in a data box.

Once you do that, Reginalds are by far the most useful food/fuel fish. Peepers aren't bad if you don't want to go find Reginalds and haul them back, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica also really ratchets up the tension if you start playing "Murmaider" by Deathklok every time you go deeper than 200m.

(AKA "Batmetal Returns")

GasBandit

Staff member
That thing came out of nowhere! I seriously would have hit the hard reset button.
Well, I got away alive at least (that time) :p

But that kind of stuff is why I don't like to go looking for stuff at night, in the deep, open water more than 1km from the start point. You don't see the leviathans until it's too late.

How do they roar underwater? Is there some kind of in-game explanation for that, or is it the same thing as spaceship engine noise?

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
How do they roar underwater? Is there some kind of in-game explanation for that, or is it the same thing as spaceship engine noise?

—Patrick
Sound can travel through water, Pat :p Better than it can through air, in fact.

(I know, you're really asking why it sounds like a roar in a gaseous environment instead of an aqueous one)

Sound can travel through water, Pat :p Better than it can through air, in fact.
Yes, which is why they always told us not to smack rocks together underwater when I was eight years old and at summer camp.
(I know, you're really asking why it sounds like a roar in a gaseous environment instead of an aqueous one)
More like how do you push a fluid past vocal cords fast enough to make that sound AT ALL. Terrestrial animals do it by manipulating an existing internal air volume of some sort or even by cavitation. It’s a frustrating pet peeve of mine, actually. What successful predator roars just before attacking? “Hey just letting you know this is your last chance to get away you should probably run...” But yes, I get it. Cinematically, it makes for browner pants.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, which is why they always told us not to smack rocks together underwater when I was eight years old and at summer camp.

More like how do you push a fluid past vocal cords fast enough to make that sound AT ALL. Terrestrial animals do it by manipulating an existing internal air volume of some sort or even by cavitation. It’s a frustrating pet peeve of mine, actually. What successful predator roars just before attacking? “Hey just letting you know this is your last chance to get away you should probably run...” But yes, I get it. Cinematically, it makes for browner pants.

—Patrick
They also have other, non-predatory leviathan class organisms (called Reefbacks) which constantly belt out low frequency whalesong, which is really damn eerie until you figure out what it is and what it means (if there are Reefbacks around, then there aren't any predatory leviathans). Still sounds haunting AF, tho.

And just wait until you see me meet the ones that breathe fireballs. Yes, underwater.

—Patrick
Territorial animals roar before attacking very frequently. Even predators that hunt from ambush will make quite a lot of noise when fighting, as opposed to when hunting. If the Reaper is attacking out of territoriality rather than prey instinct, roaring is not out of line.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you manage to scan and analyze a Reaper Leviathan (which is a harrowing prospect indeed, given that you can't do it if you're in a vehicle), the analysis says something about its "roar" actually being part of its sonar echolocation, so if you can hear the Reaper's roar... it already knows you are there.

(And it does roar all the time, every few seconds, even when it isn't attacking)

Dave

Staff member
I spent a few hours the other night trying to get Subnautica to work in my VR. I got it to work once sort of, but that was it. What I did see was amazing, but since then I haven't been able to get it to work. You need a controller and it still wants to read the Vive wand as the active input. It's annoying.

Potatoes are actually awful bioreactor fuel, I'm finding. They get used up super quick. Lantern fruit and Marble melons are a little better, but by far and away the best fuel is fishies.

But to answer your question, on the south island, there are some ruins of above-ground habitats. Near one of them will be an outdoor planter (which you can scan to learn the blueprint) and it will have potatoes and marble melons growing in it. Leave them alone at first (because they're the only ones in the freakin game, and if you lose them/eat them they're gone), go back to your base, make some grow beds or plant pots, then go BACK to the island, grab one of each (plus a lantern fruit) and then go IMMEDIATELY back to your base as fast as possible before they go bad so that you can plant them.

Note: just plant the lantern fruit you pick, or a potato, to grow more of those - but you have to hit a marble melon with your knife to get melon seeds to plant. But it gives you 4 seeds for 1 melon. The one potato, when fully grown, will become 5 potatoes (as in you can harvest a potato plant for a potato over and over and the 5th time it vanishes from the planter, then you just replant one of the potatoes). The Lantern Fruit Tree never needs to be replanted, it just keeps growing fruit for you to pick.
^ This here is good advice, though if I may offer a couple of minor corrections:

1. Rotten plants can still be planted. So there's no need to rush back to your base from the southern island in time to keep the potatoes and melons fresh. Even if they say "rotten" in your inventory you can still plant them in a growbed, and they'll still sprout into full-grown plants.

2. The island actually has a "farm" area that players often miss. It's a bit away from the abandoned ruins, near the western coast of the island. IIRC there are four or six or more growbeds there, full of melons and potatoes. So don't panic if you eat or lose the melons and potatoes you get from the growbed near the ruins, there are more on the island.

figmentPez

Staff member
F.E.A.R. I can only assume that this game has not aged well, because it's bland. Not bad, but just not really anything. Everything is just par for the course. The shooting isn't really boring, it's just there. Actually, that's pretty much my whole review. F.E.A.R. exists, it is a game.
Giving F.E.A.R. Extraction Point a shot. In contrast this expandalone is actually bad. It's not horrible, and there are some good points, but it makes a lot of mistakes.

The map design is really inconsistent. The most common problem I'm running into are areas that are way too large. Like, unrealistically large, in addition to hampering gameplay. FEAR felt cramped at points, but this is so much further in the other direction. However, at another point in the game you're winding your way through a church, and it actually looks like the classroom/office portion of a church in middle America. Too often in games churches are the sanctuary and nothing else. It was creepy in a kinda refreshing way because it was this disturbing mix of mundane, religious iconography, fire, and supernatural shit. Which they then ruined by tossing you outside into a much too large construction site, most of which is just walked by. Until you have to shoot at 3 dudes across a huge amount of mostly open space, using weapons that were designed for the cramped quarters of the first game.

It also introduced crates that you can break open to find supplies. I guess they wanted to be like Half-Life? But there are tons of other crates around that you can't break, and the markings to distinguish them are hard to see in some cases. So I just punch every crate I come across. This adds nothing to the game. There's no reason to not just have the equipment lying there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fallout Shelter -

Turns out the "cloud save" option of my old game stopped working long before any of my Eugenics shenanigans took place, so I decided, screw it, start over from scratch but this time on the steam version.

The port suffers from still adhering too much to a touchscreen style of control, and unlike the mobile version, I can't just minimize it and go do something else with no fear of raiders/fires/etc... it's either running, or closed. And closing it means I have to load it all the way from startup again, which is shit.

And they STILL haven't fixed it so training endurance raises HP. If you level up without 10 endurance, you're just fucking wasting your time on a dweller you'll have to kick out eventually to make room for one you train to 10 end before leveling up.

I dunno how long I'll bother with it again, this time through.

I main fighting for tv time!

I must be progressing through the story at the absolute slowest pace of everyone out there. I picked Dual Blades for this game too. I tried a few of the bigger weapons and they weren't for me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica:

My next objective is 1.4km deep. All my vehicles can only go down 900m :confused: It's been so long I've forgotten where to find Kyanite! Ugh. To the wiki!

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait... the resource you need to upgrade your shit to go below 900m is only located below 900m?
Most of it is. You can kinda snag it in small amounts around the edge RIGHT at 900m.

Going below your maximum depth doesn't kill you instantly, it just does low damage over time for the first 100m or so... beyond that, yeah, you might suddenly implode.

And I only need a little to be able to manufacture the depth upgrade for the PRAWN suit, which is really the only one that matters.

Wait. I'm an idiot. I just realized I never even built the first depth compensator for the PRAWN. DURRR... I have the materials lying around, even! Once I do that, it can go to 1300 meters, which is more than enough to get Kyanite. But I'll still need to get the Kyanite to make the MK II depth module to get to the place I need to go for the plot.[DOUBLEPOST=1518110795,1518110296][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, last night I got a little practice fighting a leviathan. In the Lost River, there's a juvenile Ghost Leviathan, which isn't nearly as fearsome as the Reaper Leviathans out and about in other places. I tried to use my grapple-and-kill tactic, and unfortunately it didn't work very well. The amount of slack on the grappling arm is such that he can still turn and bite you unless you grapple at the EXACT right point. Too far to the front, and he can use gravity to swing you around in front of his mouth and bite. Too far to the back, and he can turn his body enough to bite you, or worse, your grapple won't connect at all (only the "head" segment of leviathans is grapple-able, the rest of the long body has no collision).

Fortunately, the juvie GL doesn't do a lot of damage when it bites, only about 5-10% of my PRAWN suit's max hp (with one hull armor upgrade module), so it was pretty easy to find something to hide behind, hop out, and repair when I needed to. Also, the Lost River is full of big gnarly trees for me to use as cover. But that won't be the case out in the dunes against the Reapers.[DOUBLEPOST=1518111302][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Also - I finally got a stasis rifle. I never found more than one to scan, but last night I lucked out and found a complete intact one in a time capsule as I was returning from the Lost River.

Once I got down to the Lost River, I actually built a small base at the mouth of it. Then I parked my sub and took my Prawn for a little walk down to the Inactive Lava Zone for some kyanite digging.

GasBandit

Staff member
Once I got down to the Lost River, I actually built a small base at the mouth of it. Then I parked my sub and took my Prawn for a little walk down to the Inactive Lava Zone for some kyanite digging.
I was actually considering doing the same thing. There's more thermal vents down there than I remember, so power would be easier to come by.

Only irritation is the freakin warpers they seem to love to put around all the entrances these days.

I was actually considering doing the same thing. There's more thermal vents down there than I remember, so power would be easier to come by.

Only irritation is the freakin warpers they seem to love to put around all the entrances these days.
Ugh, I know. There was one warper that followed me every time I went down. But once I got so far in (like at that point where there's like a fork in the cave), he backed off. So the only irritants I had around my base were the niggling little blood suckers and those spidery things.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ugh, I know. There was one warper that followed me every time I went down. But once I got so far in (like at that point where there's like a fork in the cave), he backed off. So the only irritants I had around my base were the niggling little blood suckers and those spidery things.
I had a good time last night watching the stupid spidercrab things hopping into the acid pools and dying immediately.