What are you playing?

The demo for Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is the first 5-6 hours of gameplay, and it will transfer to the full game, so if you like RPGs and missed this game the first time, I highly recommend trying out the demo. (3ds)

I had a feeling those hits were rough, but oddly it always missed.

That's why I never like saying one monster is easy and another difficult in those or the Souls games. The attack patterns and behavior are so diverse that they're going to sync differently with everyone.
I'm at the rotten vale now and that thing is the only hunt I've failed so far.

The demo for Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is the first 5-6 hours of gameplay, and it will transfer to the full game, so if you like RPGs and missed this game the first time, I highly recommend trying out the demo. (3ds)
Guess I'd better charge my 3DS. I played the original twice, but I'm curious about the remake.

figmentPez

Staff member
Finished up playing Transistor. I wanted to like it, I really did. I loved Bastion, and Transistor has a great art style, but I just could not manage to click with the gameplay in Transistor. It's slow, feels clunky, and to me it feels like being punished for everything I do. The Turn planning aspect seems cool, but it doesn't work in my opinion. Generally not being able to do anything but run away during the recharge just makes the combat stilted and since Turn isn't really overpowered, it means there's little satisfying about combat. Moreover, nothing feels like this game is well balanced, so it wasn't good for my anxiety to constantly wonder if I was going to get stuck because I did too poorly in the last combat.

Overall, pretty game with nothing else going for it besides the visuals and the music. I don't even think the story was very good.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica

Things continue to play like buttah. Managed to put together a decent base, and got all three vehicles (Seamoth, PRAWN suit, and the Cyclops sub).

I guess it's finally time to go start advancing the plot, huh. I've got a bit a trepidation, though, given that the Cyclops is no longer Reaper-proof. But someone told me what sounded like a good strategy for dealing with them... Hop out in the PRAWN suit, grappling-arm to the back of the head, then just hang on and punch til the SOB dies. I'm equal parts looking forward to and scared of getting to try it out.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also funny - @Null was watching me stream as I played. The twitch chat auto-mod (which I can't turn off, it seems) held one of his comments for moderation. Ironically, it was "that's quite a bitch," and not "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT" which he said only minutes earlier without being impeded.

Also funny - @Null was watching me stream as I played. The twitch chat auto-mod (which I can't turn off, it seems) held one of his comments for moderation. Ironically, it was "that's quite a bitch," and not "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT" which he said only minutes earlier without being impeded.
For context, Gas named his Cyclops "The Sea Bitch".

And the WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT was the creepy deep laughing of those pod-assed things like manatees with gasmasks.

You can definitely turn it off. It's in your settings under channel & videos.

GasBandit

Staff member
For context, Gas named his Cyclops "The Sea Bitch".

And the WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT was the creepy deep laughing of those pod-assed things like manatees with gasmasks.
It's subnautica. There's a hundred and fifty different things that merit "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT", so I'm sure nobody would have thought it odd even without context :p

Dave

Staff member
I logged in to watch him play and he's so far ahead of me it's incredible. Daunting, even. I'm taking things slow and steady and he's already doing end game shit. I had to turn it off because of spoilers.

I logged in to watch him play and he's so far ahead of me it's incredible. Daunting, even. I'm taking things slow and steady and he's already doing end game shit. I had to turn it off because of spoilers.
Gas likes to play his games with the whole RAVENING EAT BEAST mentality he used to reserve for things like buffets.

—Patrick

Gas played during early access, he's kind of got an edge.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas played during early access, he's kind of got an edge.
This. This is actually my third playthrough. Though, I haven't previously gotten much farther than I am now. I last played almost exactly one year ago, and so the actual plot wasn't in the game yet, beyond the "sunbeam" encounter.

Don't give up, Dave. I want to see you make you own cyclops, with hookers, and blackjack. Call it "Dave's Action Wagon".

On a whim, I fired up the first Portal and beat it in one sitting, and now I'm working on Portal 2.

I am definitely getting dumber as I get older because seriously some of those puzzles had me stumped for a few minutes.

figmentPez

Staff member
F.E.A.R. I can only assume that this game has not aged well, because it's bland. Not bad, but just not really anything. Everything is just par for the course. The shooting isn't really boring, it's just there. Actually, that's pretty much my whole review. F.E.A.R. exists, it is a game.

Last edited:
F.E.A.R. I can only assume that this game has not aged well, because it's bland. Not bad, but just not really there. Everything is just par for the course. The shooting isn't really boring, it's just there. Actually, that's pretty much my whole review. F.E.A.R. exists, it is a game.
That was my take on it too. One funny thing - I thought they did a great job with the atmosphere because when I went into poorly lit areas I would see hair flaring out from shadows in J-horror fashion. When I realized it was just poor handling of shadows I was pretty much out. I still have the second game, which I've heard is better.

fade

Staff member
I enjoyed F.E.A.R. well enough, but like Godfather, the sequel far outshines the original. F.3.A.R. is pretty playable, too, even if the story gets all weird.

Monster Hunter World: I beat the game.

And by that I mean, I beat the final mission of low rank. I know the drill now and that this is barely scratching the surface, but I think there will be people new to this who think like dunkey's video, that that was the end, when really it's the last time the game is going to be nice to you.

Now it's time for high rank and the second half of the story.

F.E.A.R. 2 was a little bit better. I never played the third one.
Third game sort of wraps up the series hamfistedly, but it's a lot of fun if you have a buddy to play with. One plays as Pointman (so slowmo power and shooting) and the other plays as something of a spoiler if you haven't finished the first game, but whom can possess enemies directly, letting you use their kit for a short while. The player who does the best over the game is declared the winner and gets their character's ending.

The multiplayer modes are pretty fun to.

Subnautica

Things continue to play like buttah. Managed to put together a decent base, and got all three vehicles (Seamoth, PRAWN suit, and the Cyclops sub).

I guess it's finally time to go start advancing the plot, huh. I've got a bit a trepidation, though, given that the Cyclops is no longer Reaper-proof. But someone told me what sounded like a good strategy for dealing with them... Hop out in the PRAWN suit, grappling-arm to the back of the head, then just hang on and punch til the SOB dies. I'm equal parts looking forward to and scared of getting to try it out.
So glad you're enjoying the game. Especially after we've BOTH bitched and moaned about stuttering and crashing. It's nice to see an Early Access game get a happy ending.

GasBandit

Staff member
So glad you're enjoying the game. Especially after we've BOTH bitched and moaned about stuttering and crashing. It's nice to see an Early Access game get a happy ending.
Well, it DID crash on me once last night :p but I suspect that was a driver thing because it did the whole "this driver stopped working" and it took out both subnautica *and* OBS. So I don't hold it against it.

Also: I hate warpers. Fuckin warper yanked me out of my PRAWN suit 3 times in 15 seconds last night in the Lost River, and fuckin killed me. Thankfully I'd saved 4 mins earlier.

Dave

Staff member
I actually met a warper! I ended up driving it off with my knife, but he tagged me a few times. And, by the way, what the ever-loving fuck? Did this guy NOT know how to make distance weapons? No guns? Lame.

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually met a warper! I ended up driving it off with my knife, but he tagged me a few times. And, by the way, what the ever-loving fuck? Did this guy NOT know how to make distance weapons? No guns? Lame.
When you fabricated your first survival knife, the computer told you that after some massive riot or other, Alterra decided to remove all weapons except the basic survival knife from their fabricator blueprints. (I've noticed you completely ignore all lore when you're playing the game and never scan anything or read any of the analysis readouts in your pda :p you're missing half the game!)

The RL reason is the dev is a frothing gun grabber, who has repeatedly posted about his dream of a "world without guns."

That said, you can find schematics for a "stasis rifle," which can stun things for a few seconds.

I actually like that the game doesn't have any guns. It sets it apart from other games and it truly becomes about survival rather than killing stuff.

I only wish more creatures had some kind of purpose, like the stalkers dropping teeth.

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually like that the game doesn't have any guns. It sets it apart from other games and it truly becomes about survival rather than killing stuff.

I only wish more creatures had some kind of purpose, like the stalkers dropping teeth.
Once you build a Bioreactor, ALL creatures have a purpose :devil:

Dave

Staff member
Where did you find the potatoes and stuff to make your farm? You know, to power the bioreactor I built that I have yet to fuel up.

Once you build a Bioreactor, ALL creatures have a purpose :devil:
I mean the big ones. Then again, not having anything to harvest from a leviathan means I can stay the fuck away from it at all times.[DOUBLEPOST=1517943468,1517943388][/DOUBLEPOST]
Where did you find the potatoes and stuff to make your farm? You know, to power the bioreactor I built that I have yet to fuel up.
On the island with the dilapidated base. Which is also the rendezvous point for the Aurora crew.

GasBandit

Staff member
Potatoes are actually awful bioreactor fuel, I'm finding. They get used up super quick. Lantern fruit and Marble melons are a little better, but by far and away the best fuel is fishies.

But to answer your question, on the south island, there are some ruins of above-ground habitats. Near one of them will be an outdoor planter (which you can scan to learn the blueprint) and it will have potatoes and marble melons growing in it. Leave them alone at first (because they're the only ones in the freakin game, and if you lose them/eat them they're gone), go back to your base, make some grow beds or plant pots, then go BACK to the island, grab one of each (plus a lantern fruit) and then go IMMEDIATELY back to your base as fast as possible before they go bad so that you can plant them.

Note: just plant the lantern fruit you pick, or a potato, to grow more of those - but you have to hit a marble melon with your knife to get melon seeds to plant. But it gives you 4 seeds for 1 melon. The one potato, when fully grown, will become 5 potatoes (as in you can harvest a potato plant for a potato over and over and the 5th time it vanishes from the planter, then you just replant one of the potatoes). The Lantern Fruit Tree never needs to be replanted, it just keeps growing fruit for you to pick.

Dave

Staff member
So I really need to find an alien containment thing so they will breed in captivity. I need to find that. I have an aquarium, but that's really nothing more than decoration and I generally don't decorate my survival places because they serve no real purpose.