What are you playing?

figmentPez

Staff member
Planescape: Torment EE
<SNIP>
Playing as a Lawful Neutral Fighter is probably going to have to wait for a while. I'm not sure I'm up for a third run in a row.
In the middle of this run now. Was going to move on, but then I remembered these:
jrannkn.png
jrmrtkn.png

I don't know why turning Morte into a floating Easter egg and Annah into a leprechaun amuses me so much, but it was enough to get me to start my final run-through for achievements. At least I hope "Balance in All Things" unlocks when I finish. This one is proving to be as tedious as "Little Rocket Man" in HL2:Ep2.

Today, SWTOR released a patch to bring the game up to 5.7, and, well there ain't a lot on offer here.

They added a couple returning companions, but only if you're of the class that originally had them as a companion. A Sith Inquisitor will get Andronikos Revel back, while a smuggler will reunite with Risha and Corso Riggs. Which is neat, except...

There's absolutely fucking nothing to do with them. You only get them if you've finished Knights of The Eternal Throne, which is the end of the main content and storyline. So you basically get a cutscene that goes "Hey, you're back!" "Yup, we're back!" *end*

Welp, I just beat Subnautica. Definitely worth the wait. That final experience was great. I'll talk a bit more in the spoilers.

Honestly, all I had left to do to launch the rocket was collect a few more materials and build the damn thing. So I took one last trek into the lava area for some kyanite, disassembled most of my small Lost River base for the last parts I needed, then mosied on up to the surface in the S.S. Ameilia (my submarine named after my niece who enjoys watching me play; I got the sub while she watched and I named it after her on the fly). In pure happenstance, one of the baby sea emperors swam by as I neared the surface. Very likely not intentional, but that was a great send-off.

I was in awe as I build the rocket piece by piece. I couldn't have timed it better because the sun rose as I completed construction. Then I spent a short time at the top of the elevator to admire the planet one last time. Made my preparations and launched.

The ONLY thing I forgot to do was play Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet ride when I launched. But I was in such awe of everything that I completely forgot. Maybe on another play through.

So yeah, I'm very happy @Dave gifted me this game some time ago. He'll be happy to know it was worth every penny.

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, I just beat Subnautica. Definitely worth the wait. That final experience was great. I'll talk a bit more in the spoilers.

Honestly, all I had left to do to launch the rocket was collect a few more materials and build the damn thing. So I took one last trek into the lava area for some kyanite, disassembled most of my small Lost River base for the last parts I needed, then mosied on up to the surface in the S.S. Ameilia (my submarine named after my niece who enjoys watching me play; I got the sub while she watched and I named it after her on the fly). In pure happenstance, one of the baby sea emperors swam by as I neared the surface. Very likely not intentional, but that was a great send-off.

I was in awe as I build the rocket piece by piece. I couldn't have timed it better because the sun rose as I completed construction. Then I spent a short time at the top of the elevator to admire the planet one last time. Made my preparations and launched.

The ONLY thing I forgot to do was play Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet ride when I launched. But I was in such awe of everything that I completely forgot. Maybe on another play through.

So yeah, I'm very happy @Dave gifted me this game some time ago. He'll be happy to know it was worth every penny.
I take it since it is out of early access, they fixed the crashing/terrain loading problems?

I take it since it is out of early access, they fixed the crashing/terrain loading problems?
They've been on a bug-fixing rampage leading up to the 1.0 release. A lot of little updates that they said were bug fixes.

I've been replaying the game a lot in the last few weeks and haven't encountered a single problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1516779700,1516779376][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, I should also mention.

I painted my rocket blue and red and named it The Hogarth. Let's see how many people get that one. :D

Today, SWTOR released a patch to bring the game up to 5.7, and, well there ain't a lot on offer here.

They added a couple returning companions, but only if you're of the class that originally had them as a companion. A Sith Inquisitor will get Andronikos Revel back, while a smuggler will reunite with Risha and Corso Riggs. Which is neat, except...

There's absolutely fucking nothing to do with them. You only get them if you've finished Knights of The Eternal Throne, which is the end of the main content and storyline. So you basically get a cutscene that goes "Hey, you're back!" "Yup, we're back!" *end*
SWTOR has skeleton crew running it right now so everyone can focus on Anthem, Bioware's next big title, or the next Dragon Age title (which got rebooted so EA can stick more pay to win shit in it). Basically, if Anthem or the next Dragon Age isn't a monster hit, Bioware's done as a studio.

So yeah... SWTOR got the short end of the stick. But it's because the studio is crumbling under the weight of EA and not because no one at the company wants to work on SWTOR.

GasBandit

Staff member
SWTOR has skeleton crew running it right now so everyone can focus on Anthem, Bioware's next big title, or the next Dragon Age title (which got rebooted so EA can stick more pay to win shit in it). Basically, if Anthem or the next Dragon Age isn't a monster hit, Bioware's done as a studio.

So yeah... SWTOR got the short end of the stick. But it's because the studio is crumbling under the weight of EA and not because no one at the company wants to work on SWTOR.
That's what happened to Warhammer Online. EA sacked Mythic and put Bethesda in charge, I suspect as "practice" for Elder Scrolls Online. They ran it into the ground pretty quick.

fade

Staff member
I finally finished Witcher 3 and its expansion packs. Heart of Stone was okay. Blood and Wine was fun and threw Geralt into a lot of unusual circumstances. I think I finished the game with like 10 unused ability points because there wasn't anything else good to take. Even the super mutations were kind of meh. Euphoria was nice, but you can only have one active at a time anyway.

Last edited:
I bought a launch ps4 but swapped out the 500gb hard drive to a 1 TB day one. I knew it would need it. Still fills up with 1 TB.

I thought buying discs would alleviate that problem, but instead it's just a choice of sources for installing the game. Still uses a bunch of system space either way.

My 3DS came with a tiny little SD card and I performed surgery and took the case off and put a real sized one in after copying everything from the original over. It never occurred to me to do the same to my PS4. I just buy the games. That's kind of embarrassing now that I think of it.

Because my copy of Monster Hunter World is sitting at Best Buy waiting for me, I am playing Ultra Sun and getting a team ready for the tournament that starts tomorrow where I will most likely get destroyed :)[DOUBLEPOST=1516942728,1516942669][/DOUBLEPOST]My consultant :)

IMG_1542.JPG

Did the same for my 3DS. Those tiny things were nonsense.

Monster Hunter is ready to play, but I'm going to pass out, so like ... 18 hours or so, I can play :p. Maybe by then I'll have decided what weapon to main.

Did the same for my 3DS. Those tiny things were nonsense.

Monster Hunter is ready to play, but I'm going to pass out, so like ... 18 hours or so, I can play :p. Maybe by then I'll have decided what weapon to main.
Yeah I downloaded it but won't play until after work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Work 2018 Edition: Amazing graphics can't make up for the same gameplay we saw last edition. One might hope the story could make up for it, and while there are some interesting tasks over the course of a match, the NPC dialogue leaves a lot to be desired. While not without its merits, if you're playing any games today, it should be Monster Hunter World.

I figured I would enjoy Monster Hunter World but the extent was what caught me off guard. Didn't realize the day was over. Also, the canteen animations are fucking adorable.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and it's both okay and complete shit. Both have nothing to do with it having the XCOM name.

It's okay because the graphics and visual design are decent, the gameplay is enjoyable (though I'm not especially good at this genre), and the voice acting is good. I'm going to keep playing because I'm enjoying the story, even if it is pretty standard alien invasion fare.

It's complete shit in regards to everything regarding the user interface outside of combat, and some things in combat. The menus are klunky and unintutive. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the layout. Even opening a save file is bass-ackwards. Clicking on the button to select a save slot turns it into a Back button that looks visually the same. To actually continue the campaign requires you to go to the top of the menu, and select an option that's much flatter and has no weight given to it over Options, DLC and other choices. So the most obvious button, which is right where you just clicked a moment before, is not the right choice most of the time.

A lot of menus do this exact same thing, or something similar. Just figuring out how to start a mission is an exercise in stupidity. When the two biggest menu options are "Squad Management" and "Pre-Mission Checklist", and you've just finished choosing your squad and load-out, which one do you choose to get closer to starting the mission? If you said "Pre-Mission Checklist", you're wrong. It's not "Squad Management" either. The two most prominent options on the screen are NOT the button you need to press to move forward. They both take you back to previous screens.

Then let's talk about the auto-save system. I haven't noticed a huge problem during missions, since none of the fights are terribly long (though, the lack of control over saving makes it feel like a roll of the dice picking a loadout. I've all but given up on using sniper rifles because they suck at close range and it's impossible to know how big the next battlefield will be.) The big problem is at the base. There's no option to manually save at the base, and it's possible to complete fetch quests which don't trigger the game to save. Sometimes talking to a character will result in a save after the conversation, sometimes not. Managing your squad, choosing upgrades, or changing loadouts never triggers a save. The only time you can be sure the game will have saved is after a mission. So, if you're like me, it's kinda frustrating to not be able to hop into the action, and then have a cooldown managing stuff outside of combat. It's really hurting the pacing of the game for me.

How do you screw up UI this bad? It's awful, just plain awful. And that's not even counting minor nit-picks, like how finicky picking up items in the field can be, and how it can be hard to target specific enemies in a group, and how throwing out traps and other abilities requires you to move the targetting cursor on paths you could walk on, even though they're thrown like grenades.