What are you playing?

I liked heavy rain and indigo prophecy...
I really liked Heavy Rain, though it wasn't without some issues. I kept meaning to replay it to get the Perfect Crime achievement (or something like that). But like Zero, it's not something I felt the need to play again.

I liked...the beginning of Indigo Prophecy. Then it got far too weird. Especially by how frigging fast it got weird. It went from this kind-of grounded "possessed by voodoo magic?" story to ending with basically a Dragonball Z fight.

I really liked Heavy Rain, though it wasn't without some issues. I kept meaning to replay it to get the Perfect Crime achievement (or something like that). But like Zero, it's not something I felt the need to play again.

I liked...the beginning of Indigo Prophecy. Then it got far too weird. Especially by how frigging fast it got weird. It went from this kind-of grounded "possessed by voodoo magic?" story to ending with basically a Dragonball Z fight.
AND the world is freezing to death AND sentient AI wants to take over the world AND more! Stuff every idea in, nothing is exempt!

I don't think I could take the last stretch of that game seriously even if the studio budget hadn't run out and they had time to build all those elements, but the sudden "and now he's being chased by a jaguar ghost monster" where everything goes whacky--it's just hilarious.

AND the world is freezing to death AND sentient AI wants to take over the world AND more! Stuff every idea in, nothing is exempt!

I don't think I could take the last stretch of that game seriously even if the studio budget hadn't run out and they had time to build all those elements, but the sudden "and now he's being chased by a jaguar ghost monster" where everything goes whacky--it's just hilarious.
This reminds me, if you want another good story game like this, you should play Until Dawn. It's like playing through a horror movie, but unlike most horror games, it doesn't end if you get killed, you just go on to the next chapter and the next character.

This reminds me, if you want another good story game like this, you should play Until Dawn. It's like playing through a horror movie, but unlike most horror games, it doesn't end if you get killed, you just go on to the next chapter and the next character.
I played it I think a year or two ago? It did a good job with the branching paths and I liked the story at its core, but it took its notes on character writing from every horror movie I hate, so I didn't work too hard to keep everyone alive.

That was a part of its charm. It was supposed to be a tropey horror movie
I know, and I know you and Ash liked that about it, but that's not my type of horror movie.

But maybe I'd like Until Dawn if I'd just watched someone play it instead of playing it myself. I only started to warm up to Beyond: Two Souls once I passed the controller to Julie so she could play the rest of the game instead. That's probably how I'm going to experience these kinds of games from now on.

I know, and I know you and Ash liked that about it, but that's not my type of horror movie.

But maybe I'd like Until Dawn if I'd just watched someone play it instead of playing it myself. I only started to warm up to Beyond: Two Souls once I passed the controller to Julie so she could play the rest of the game instead. That's probably how I'm going to experience these kinds of games from now on.
Until Dawn made for fairly amusing LPs. I would recommend watching a no death 100% run, a murder-everyone run, and a compilation of all the deaths and maimings. Definitely not my kind of game though, QTEs are annoying.

I actually liked Indigo Prophecy WAY more than Heavy Rain. Indigo was campy, dopey and silly in all the perfect B-movie ways. Heavy Rain was way too tedious at points and the policing in it is embarrassing in the same way I can't watch shit like CSI. The DUMB DUMB DUMB supernatural elements in Indigo Prophecy kept me along, the nonsensical twist in Heavy Rain was shit.

So, a podcast I really like (Watch Out for Fireballs) is doing Quest for Glory 2. So I decided to boot up the series for the first time since I was a kid since I bought the collection on GoG like 1100 years ago and Gaaat damn, Quest for Glory 1 holds the fuck up. It's crazy archaic and requires patience and I'm glad I've forgotten most of the stuff from when I played it as a kid. It honestly took me way too long to figure out how to buy stuff. I'm really enjoying creeping along slowly getting better and getting bolder with my exploration. Save often though, because you never know when some asshole outside of town will decide to whip poisoned daggers at you because you decided to cast detect magic.

Also, Watch Out for Fireballs is a really enjoyable podcast if you're into breakdowns of old (and current sometimes) games.

Side story, I got obsessed with drawing Liontaurs from Quest for Glory 3 when I played it over a summer staying with my grand parents. Completely obsessed.

Sales right now, so I decided to buy Dangonronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc after hearing these were good games.

That was the worst gaming experience I've had in a long time. Eventually I just started spamming through the dialogue because it was so redundant. The constant clang to emphasize lines gave Julie a headache after the 2 and a half hours we tried putting into this. By the time interesting things started happening, I'd stopped caring because each time between we would have to deal with this cluster of characters and bad writing. I'd heard this compared to the Zero Escape series, but those games are much more intelligent. I don't know what other people see in this and I don't need to.

I just bought Monster Hunter World for PC. Cant run it on 60 FPS because it crashes every 5 minutes, What a buggy mess.
I've had the well-publicized issues with online servers, but have yet to have the game crash on me. I know the newest nvidia drivers are completely fucked for it - if you've got an nvidia card try rolling back to an earlier driver and see?

I just bought Monster Hunter World for PC. Cant run it on 60 FPS because it crashes every 5 minutes, What a buggy mess.
The negative steam reviews of how badly ported it was to PC, along with the server troubles, turned me off from buying it. I'll try it in a year when it's on sale and hopefully fixed

Horizon: Zero Dawn + DLC for $12 was a steal.

I appreciate the game's curve. I'm allowed to just suck at it at first! I haven't died yet but I wasn't expecting the lasers so ... educational! And lots of running away.

Still playing No Man's Sky. Rather enjoying it, overall. But I've now reached the point where I'm trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Which is around 700 thousand light years away. And I can pull off around 100 light years per warp jump.

Holy shit, all the grindiness of the game up to this point cannot compare to the grind facing me now.

Still playing No Man's Sky. Rather enjoying it, overall. But I've now reached the point where I'm trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Which is around 700 thousand light years away. And I can pull off around 100 light years per warp jump.

Holy shit, all the grindiness of the game up to this point cannot compare to the grind facing me now.
Here's a question though, why are you trying to reach the center?

I'm about 22 hours in, starting to farm on my freighter, and having a blast. Yes there's grind, but I still feel like there's just SO MUCH MORE than I've done that is already to do. So I'm liking it!

I have read though @bhamv3 that you're supposed to ask the priest for shortcuts to the center. That supposedly helps "a lot"

I played a bunch of Monster Hunter in a few days, and I played some Shadow of War, but I've really only been in the mood for playing RPGs. Which in this case has been either me playing Persona 3, or watching my husband work his way through Trails in the Sky. And now I'm trying to think of a long winding story RPG that I haven't already played that won't immediately irritate me with combat mechanics, and my brain comes up empty. I could just new game+ my Persona games finally, or maybe get back to Etrian Odyssey 5 since I got distracted from it, but I'm just not feeling it. :p

I played a bunch of Monster Hunter in a few days, and I played some Shadow of War, but I've really only been in the mood for playing RPGs. Which in this case has been either me playing Persona 3, or watching my husband work his way through Trails in the Sky. And now I'm trying to think of a long winding story RPG that I haven't already played that won't immediately irritate me with combat mechanics, and my brain comes up empty. I could just new game+ my Persona games finally, or maybe get back to Etrian Odyssey 5 since I got distracted from it, but I'm just not feeling it. :p
Have you played Radiant Historia?

I like it, but it's not what I'm craving right now really. (I've already dumped 60 hours into it, so it's not like I haven't given it a chance ;) )

I've been replaying Arkham City.

After reading the character bios in the game, I gotta ask: Is this game set in an alternative universe where the Nazis won WW2? Nearly everyone has blue eyes.

Also, why is taking down the Riddler so dang easy? There's only one puzzle in his lair, and that's only by generously calling "don't bump into the hostages" a puzzle.

...I mean, you do have to "SOLVE" all like one hundred and fifty billion of his terrible "RIDDLES" before you can take him down.

He should have been called The Tediouser.

Started over in No Man's Sky to try to find a more optimized build for my gear, which will hopefully shorten the grind later on.

The first ship I upgraded to was this beauty. She's just a class B, but I don't care. She's beautiful. I call her Optimus. I'm going to keep her with me for the rest of the game.

20180824215739_1.jpg

Reactions: Far
Well, made it to the galaxy center in No Man's Sky. That was... anticlimactic. I think I'm done with this game for a while.

Still though, I had lots of fun exploring and building and stuff.