What are you playing?

Ok, what's with the loot boxes in Horizon Zero Dawn? Jesus Christ, it cheapens everything. Now that I know that all you get for collecting all the crap in the world is literally trading them in for loot boxes full of more crap I know that I can stop giving a shit about sort of collecting, which should speed me along the rest of the game. The most egregious example of trader is the one that only sells components for you to trade to another trader for more loot boxes. Fuck off. This loot system is garbage and is by far the shittiest part of an otherwise excellent game.

A box full of random components as a reward for anything is so lame.

Dead by Daylight was one of the PS Plus games this month and I'm kind of obsessed. It's fun to play as both survivor and killer, and things feel mostly balanced. I like that some killers are powerful, but with drawbacks. It didn't cost me any more money than I'd already have spent on PS Plus, but I might throw $10 at the game since I'm having so much fun, plus I'd like to at least get the Freddy Krueger DLC.
And now their servers have crapped out, right after I bought the DLC.

And now their servers have crapped out, right after I bought the DLC.
I stopped playing Dead by Daylight when I discovered a huge majority of survivors were toxic fucks. Plus there were way too many little annoying exploits that added to my frustration. That being said, I enjoyed the ambiance and general art style of the game. Still got a decent number of hours out of it.

I stopped playing Dead by Daylight when I discovered a huge majority of survivors were toxic fucks. Plus there were way too many little annoying exploits that added to my frustration. That being said, I enjoyed the ambiance and general art style of the game. Still got a decent number of hours out of it.
There is literally no way to win Dead by Daylight against a perfect team of survivors unless you are playing as Hillbilly or Nurse. This is because their abilities fundamentally change how the game is played, meaning that survivors can't just Decisive Strike/Dead Hard/Self-Care/Sprint Burst their way out of problems. Against anyone else, it's ultimately up to the survivors to fail at something or the killer just can't put enough pressure on them.

Detroit: Become Human arrived via Gamefly today, so Julie's plodding through that.

I wonder how racist the self-driving car's life and death determinations are.

Dead Cells is funtastic.

Think of a faster paced Rogue Legacy where you can build towards getting further and further with a fantastic art style and colour palette. So far all the new weapons I've picked up have been rad (gonna miss that super buffed out electric whip that also tossed grenades).

They're not exactly the same kind of game, but come on Chasm, this is what a retro action game should be like.

It's very fun. Can be pretty hard though.
Thank you, I'd been looking for a new Rogue-like, apparently. This really is fun.

Dave

Staff member
I want to like it, but I'm so terrible at building that I stand no chance. At least with PUBG it's more shooty/hidey than build/bunny hop.

I want to like it, but I'm so terrible at building that I stand no chance. At least with PUBG it's more shooty/hidey than build/bunny hop.
Building isn't hard. Just put ramps on your build button and hold it down when you need to run up, that'll serve you for 90% of your building needs

I actually like it. And I've been a royale winner a few times with me patented "pretend to be a bush until there's only one guy left and shoot him in the back" strategy.
I remember reading an article that the success of this strategy is basically what's killing Fortnite's chances at becoming an E-Sport; games go on too long and it's mostly because people play super conservatively in an e-sports setting.

I actually like it. And I've been a royale winner a few times with me patented "pretend to be a bush until there's only one guy left and shoot him in the back" strategy.
That's kind of been my strategy, too. Except I crouch and sneak around without gathering a lot of resources (too much noise attracts attention). It's gotten me in the top 10 a few times in Solo play.

Tried Fortnite awhile back and came to the same conclusion I did when I initially gave it a shot. I don't like the building aspect.

I've actually abandoned pc PUBG at this point and solely play on mobile when I'm out and about.

Is PUBG better? I've looked at reviews/info for it previously and have had it in the back of my head as a game I'd like to try. I just hate spending money on it if I'm not going to want to play it.

On a side note, it feels so damn good to have time to play games instead of writing papers and being pulled in 10 different directions at once. :)

Dave

Staff member
PUBG is trying to be SO SUPER SERIAL, GUYS! While FortNite is super-duper silly.

But I still can't build. Maybe it's a controller vs. keyboard thing.

PUBG is trying to be SO SUPER SERIAL, GUYS! While FortNite is super-duper silly.

But I still can't build. Maybe it's a controller vs. keyboard thing.
I have to wonder myself. I'm playing it on an XBox. Building is awkward with the controller. If I was on PC I could (probably) set hotkeys that would make it so much easier.

I didn't too hot on Switch with building, but I just blamed that I'm getting old.

If I get a rhythm going, towers can be thrown up in seconds. But no one can shoot at me while I'm doing it or it throws off my groove.

Julie finished Detroit: Become Human and bowled a perfect game, best ending. Looking over the deviations, it's crazy how much the game changes as it goes.

Watching the behind the scenes stuff, it's also impressive just how much the actors have to zip between emotions and relationships because of the branching stories. That also requires a director who can juggle a lot of different things going on. I know Cage's stories aren't as intelligent as he thinks they are, but they are compelling and emotional, and I think that's the real strength. Even if not unique compared to movies of a kind (ex: late into Conner's story is classic bottom of the 2nd act police movie scenario), we don't get to play or make choices in movies.

Buuut I say that as someone who didn't have to play it myself :p. It was fun seeing Julie go through and make choices, and also see that other people had wildly different things happen throughout the game.

I almost bought Detroit: Become Human yesterday but it's still $79.99 here so I'm gonna wait until it goes on sale.

I don't think I can tolerate David Cage's writing ever again after suffering through the nonsense of Heavy Rain.
If you think the writing on Heavy Rain was bad, you should check out the mess that is Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I assure, Heavy Rain is David Cage at his most lucid.

I almost bought Detroit: Become Human yesterday but it's still $79.99 here so I'm gonna wait until it goes on sale.
Oh dont spend that. We rented it and playing it only took the week. At Gamefly being $15 a month, that's like $3.75 :p. So don't pay more than $10 for it.

I don't think I can tolerate David Cage's writing ever again after suffering through the nonsense of Heavy Rain.
Please, please play Indigo Prophecy. Or watch someone play it. It begins grounded but then goes so out of its mind it's hilarious.