What are you playing?

fade

Staff member
I tried on broken bones at first, because I usually play games on hard or extra hard. But I got my ass kicked to be honest. Because of the combat system. I just couldn't seem to avoid hits, and the death penalty is this game's super long load times (I don't have an SSD). So I dropped to normal. Really, this is the kind of game I'd rather play for the story anyway.

Last night before I left for the dojo, I tried the alt dodging again, and it...is better than rolling, and not too bad to time. It's still irritating to reach all the way down to Alt. It really works well for the boxing matches. I got the no-hit achievements using left Alt during the Velen boxing quest.

fade

Staff member
Oh one skill I definitely recommend is Cat School early on. Light armor is everywhere, and spamming crits is fun. Especially if you find a group of lowbies like pirates. It's like a horror movie. Limbs flying, cleaving dudes in two, screaming foes.

Oh one skill I definitely recommend is Cat School early on. Light armor is everywhere, and spamming crits is fun. Especially if you find a group of lowbies like pirates. It's like a horror movie. Limbs flying, cleaving dudes in two, screaming foes.
Get the cat school gear if you're digging that style. That was my favourite armor & style, too.

I just got Splatoon 2 for my Switch. Never played it before, got 3 rounds in and hit level 2 when server maintenance started. I look forward to playing more. Looks likes there's a lot of depth from straightforward gameplay which I like.

GasBandit

Staff member
Killing Floor 2 -

And now, Gaming with Terrik, part 2:

Also, we all completed the holiday event challenges and got matching red pajamas and santa hats to wear. We're in danger of looking like a team, here! (Caladine is Dei's husband, Maya Fay is Terrik because that's just how he's rolling right now I guess)

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's a picture of Terrik slowly dying to a lone clot while I watched.

View attachment 26249
And the viewer would do well to note that Dei is playing a medic, and therefor could have saved Terrik easily if she was so inclined, but it was much more entertaining to stand there and watch his somnolent posterior get nibbled to death slowly.

fade

Staff member
Cat School sounds like an an anime, or the latest hit phone app/game.
That is how you get it in the game. You have to enroll in Witcher no Academy and endure a harem of women throwing themselves at you while you rise to become the greatest Witcher the academy has ever seen...

Wait, come to think of it, that isn't too far off the mark.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and oh yeah, I thought it was a nice touch how the names of all connected players show up on Krampus' Naughty List at the Boss Fight of the christmas event map.

naughty list.jpg

The list seems to go:
S. Claus (Santa, obviously)
Foster (one of the characters in the game, the one with the gasmask)
Emma? Couldn't make that one out
Kevin Clamely (the geneticist who turned himself into the Patriarch boss)
J. Frost (Jack Frost, duh)
Bill Weeks (The "Bad Santa" playable character in Killing Floor 1)
GasBandit
AnnaDei
Snuffleupagus
Caladine
Maya Fay
Other Dave (???)

It continues on down with more generic names ("Joe, Jane, Bill, Alan, E. Bunny, etc"), then loops again a couple meters down the scroll.

GasBandit

Staff member
New Vermintide DLC!

$7 seems a eensy skosh steep for a new level, but seeing as how I got the original game for cheap and Fatshark has done nothing but vindicate my ever-growing faith in them, I'mma pony up for it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Half-Life 2 Update a community mod that adds in more advanced lighting, particle effects and some bug fixes for HL2, but the main reason I'm playing it is the Community Commentary. Like the Developer Commentary mode, this has commentary nodes located throughout the game, and there are some great tidbits of information.

The visual updates are nice, but they don't make the game feel significantly different to me, thus far. Except for the airboat sections with the gunship. When that helicopter flies overhead, it blows the water around and causes a spray of mist to rise up, and it really adds a weight to the presence above you. The rest of the time the visual effects are noticeable, (notably the fog on the bridge, and fights lit by flares) but they don't really make the game feel any different, just prettier.

So, while this isn't something to rush out and play, if you're planning on a replay of HL2, then this is a nice upgrade, and for me the community commentary has been well worth the trip.

EDIT: The mod HL2 really needs, though, is one stitching maps together and reducing the number of loading screens.

Last edited:
Between you and the video, I'm pretty sure this is worse than the first one, and the first one sucked.

Why have a text tutorial in 2017? Why not have a visual tutorial? That's utter nonsense.

Ok, these questions are mostly rhetorical and I don't actually expect answers, but I'm gonna write them down here anyway.

So there are three basic classes (and tons of variation of play styles of each), tank, healer, attacker. Your main character is an attacker and by far the best since his base blade is bonkers bananas good. Your first two party members are a good healer and tank respectively. Your third new party member is a tank, so you can switch her out for that fuckface Tora happily. Then, like 25 hours into the game, you get a fourth new member and he's an attacker. The game REALLY needs one of each to work since you get obliterated by even normal enemies without a tank. Why the fuck would they add a new character a billion hours in that you have zero reason to use? He's not as good at attacking as the main character. He serves zero purpose. I've tried unlocking some unique cores for him (60 so far and NOT ONE HIT, so glad this psuedo gatcha lootbox bullshit is here for a single player game) so he cooooooould be a healer or a tank, but he'll always have his main attacker blade and party UI will switch to it and he'll forget he's supposed to be tanking or healing. I don't understand the game design purpose of this.

It might be Stockholm syndrome or something, but like I've said, the combat and exploration is very fun. Most of the characters are fine and I enjoy all the fucking Welshies Game of Thrones accenting up a game. The character design is fucking abysmal, that's just fact. One of the main characters, Mythra, shows so much cleavage that her nipples should be visible. Apparently she's got the ultimate walleyed boobs. I hate that her character both wears such a shitty outfit and that she defies normal human physiology.

I just don't understand some choices. There's also some fucking obscene no reason grinding.

You can unlock a blade called Ursula. She wants to be a singer for some reason. You have to send her on lesson missions (which uses up one of your merc mission slots). That's dumb and fine in and of itself, but then, after you do the first three missions, you learn that you now have to repeat them 24 fucking more times. WHY? WHYYYYY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Since people are going to be having time off in the near future and I am fucking obsessed with this game still, I'd like to once again remind people that Doki Doki Literature Club is both amazing and free and everyone should play it. (unless the trigger warnings apply to you)

GasBandit

Staff member
Since people are going to be having time off in the near future and I am fucking obsessed with this game still, I'd like to once again remind people that Doki Doki Literature Club is both amazing and free and everyone should play it. (unless the trigger warnings apply to you)
And a reminder that this game also has my, Terrik's, and O_C's seal of approval.

I didn't want to push it too hard but I'll be honest here:

I let Monica ramble on for a good hour, and even read her Twitter feed and the hidden AI "reports" online before I could make myself stop.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't want to push it too hard but I'll be honest here:

I let Monica ramble on for a good hour, and even read her Twitter feed and the hidden AI "reports" online before I could make myself stop.
Man,

Am I the only one who deleted Monika the instant she mentioned the path to the character files?

fade

Staff member
I have been playing Witcher 3 a lot. Wyvern decoction + ekinmara decoction is stupidly overpowered. One heals with every hit, and the other increases your strength with every hit hulk style.

I have been playing Witcher 3 a lot. Wyvern decoction + ekinmara decoction is stupidly overpowered. One heals with every hit, and the other increases your strength with every hit hulk style.
Huh, I'd never tried that.

Dammit, I've already beaten the game in full (DLC, side missions, and all) THREE times. All this Witcher talk tempts me to play it again.

Stop enticing me to replay on of my favourite AAA games!

So I managed to get an SNES Classic from Gamestop, and OMFG the Original Mario Kart is so much fucking harder than I remember it being. It makes modern Mario Kart feel easy as fuck in comparison, blue shell bullshit aside.

Me: All right, since I got a free copy of Watch_Dogs via uPlay, let's give a whirl.

*Game crashes when I hit New Game*

Me: Welp, so much for that.