What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Would you like to play a glitchy, slapdash, low-production-value, infuriatingly punishing exercise in futile repetition with terrible controls, little-to-no reward, and nothing but mocking to show for hours of suffering?

Well, you should probably play PUBG then.

But if you want something slightly different, you could also try Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy.

Here, watch a FIVE HOUR VIDEO of me failing constantly and spectacularly, and ending back up where I started from over and over again, with nothing to show for my efforts.

Would you like to play a glitchy, slapdash, low-production-value, infuriatingly punishing exercise in futile repetition with terrible controls, little-to-no reward, and nothing but mocking to show for hours of suffering?

But if you want something slightly different, you could also try Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy.

Here, watch a FIVE HOUR VIDEO of me failing constantly and spectacularly, and ending back up where I started from over and over again, with nothing to show for my efforts.

Just watching the first ten minutes of this, and I got immensely frustrated on your behalf. This game, man. This game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just watching the first ten minutes of this, and I got immensely frustrated on your behalf. This game, man. This game.
That Foddy asshole found like 6 different versions of that "I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad" song and I heard EVERY ONE OF EM while I played.

That said, as time went on I started to actually feel myself getting better at the game (unlike PUBG :p). It took me a half hour to make it to the top of the part the game calls "the devil's chimney" the first time. But due to the countless number of times I plummeted from waaaay up higher than that even alllllll the way back to the start, I started getting better at it. When I fell all the way back to the start at 4:17:50, it only took me about two minutes and fifteen seconds to get back on top of the chimney again.

But for all my flailing, I barely even made it halfway through the game at my best.

And this asshole can do it in 2:16. The same time it takes me to get to the top of the chimney. (That takes him 30 seconds).

Our son's been watching the same guy who played the 3D Happy Wheels play this game. His tears are almost palpable.

--Patrick

PUBG is fine if you don't set your expectations at winning. We set our expectations at "How much sweet equipment can we get before someone randomly snipes us," and we're a lot happier. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
PUBG is fine if you don't set your expectations at winning. We set our expectations at "How much sweet equipment can we get before someone randomly snipes us," and we're a lot happier. :p
That is the rationalized mentality of an abuse victim.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd say we were top 10 most of the night, with a few exceptions. *shrug*
That's because we run in circles in the backcountry for half an hour hoping for an M16 and sharing one 4x scope between the four of us, meanwhile the other 20-40 people still alive have all found gauss rifles and orbital ion cannons.

That's because we run in circles in the backcountry for half an hour hoping for an M16 and sharing one 4x scope between the four of us, meanwhile the other 20-40 people still alive have all found gauss rifles and orbital ion cannons.
Bitch, I mowed down 5 people with a tommy gun and got into the top 3 until Anna made a horrible joke about "maybe someone will come from behind" and it happened because Murphy's Law.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bitch, I mowed down 5 people with a tommy gun and got into the top 3 until Anna made a horrible joke about "maybe someone will come from behind" and it happened because Murphy's Law.
I said 90% :p I mean, yeah there was also that one time that Snuffles and I were two of the last three people alive (and we still lost), but those moments are faaaaaaaaaaaaaar outnumbered by the "I've still got a shotgun oh look I was headshot" rinse and repeat cycle :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, it really comes down to Gas hating PvP games, and we don't, so I just let him ramble.
I don't hate PvP games, I hate bad games. :p

I played Rallos Zek in Everquest, went from there to DAOC (whose endgame was entirely PVP), quit WOW because there wasn't enough pvp (at least not that mattered), and in Warhammer Online I leveled exclusively in pvp. No PvE whatsoever. I didn't have any problem playing VS in Left 4 Dead, and I still don't in KF2, and I was PvPing people out of house and home in Space Engineers and Empyrion. If I bothered, I could probably keep going.

PUBG is a bad game. And coming from a literal lifetime of PvP gaming, the PvP aspect doesn't have the crack factor it might have otherwise.

I don't hate PvP games, I hate bad games. :p

I played Rallos Zek in Everquest, went from there to DAOC (whose endgame was entirely PVP), quit WOW because there wasn't enough pvp (at least not that mattered), and in Warhammer Online I leveled exclusively in pvp. No PvE whatsoever. I didn't have any problem playing VS in Left 4 Dead, and I still don't in KF2, and I was PvPing people out of house and home in Space Engineers and Empyrion. If I bothered, I could probably keep going.

PUBG is a bad game. And coming from a literal lifetime of PvP gaming, the PvP aspect doesn't have the crack factor it might have otherwise.
Fine, you hate PvP games which involve shooting AND dealing with the general public at the same time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fine, you hate ... dealing with the general public
I think that part is closer to the truth. After all, it wasn't the gameplay that drove me away from League of Legends.

But that doesn't change the fact that PUBG is a bad game.

figmentPez

Staff member
Tried playing Cosmochoria, because based on the trailer I thought it would be a exploration / strategy game. Based on my one run-through, it has more in common with brutally difficult rogue-lights. This is not for me. The game doesn't explain it's mechanics much at all, and you only get one chance to read what a structure does, and it won't tell you a second time, even though it's possible the pop-up telling you what you needed to know happened during combat. Which happens far too often, because there's always something flying in to shoot at you. It's tedious to get anything done, especially when you don't know what you're doing because the game won't tell you.

Fuck this type of game. I understand some people like their games to be cryptic, but I hate it. Mystery in the plot is great. Mystery in the function of the game is not.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Long Dark

It's a wilderness survival game. You play a pilot whose plane crashed in the frozen north during a storm, and when you wake up bloody and bruised, your passenger is nowhere to be found. What happens next is a brutally difficult struggle to survive, requiring you to find food, water, and heat sources, long enough to survive, heal, find your passenger, and hopefully make it to safety.

The controls and UI are not very intuitive. A lot of the early part of the game I spent struggling figuring out how to do basic things like melt snow for water to drink, or getting a fire going well enough to actually warm me up (turns out it takes way more wood than I thought necessary).

But once I got the hang of it, I really started getting invested. Then I got attacked by a wolf, and then Terrik harassed me to come play L4D. So I think I'll start over, knowing what I know now, and I think I could really get into this.

I have approximately 200 hours in PUBG and though I mostly enjoy it, I think it's a bad game.

I also still play league so. Really I'm just a masochist.