What are you playing?

Well this is straight up bullshit. I contacted Ubisoft's customer service and got into a chat with someone. Their suggestion? TURN OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER OR ANY ANTIVIRUS OR FIREWALLS.

Uplay Bullshit.jpg

I just think it's kind of meta-hilarious that in order to get a game about hackers working, you need to turn off your computer's defenses.

They just need to hurry up and get on the Microsoft TruePlay bandwagon. I'm sure that will solve allllll their problems.
[DOUBLEPOST=1513886662,1513886567][/DOUBLEPOST]
Uncomfortable with turning off my antivirus firewalls, I googled the issue.

You know what also works?

Turning off the uPlay overlay. And it worked.

THAT'S a much more worthy sacrifice.
Who would win?
Hundreds of tech support personnel at large gaming company | Rainbo search boi webpage

--Patrick

While not a "game," I got a Steam Controller and a Steam Link today. From @figmentPez's suggestion, I tried the controller out on Portal 2. Definitely good advice to try on first. It's so strange. I feel like I have two laptop tracking pads for each thumb. And I can even navigate on my computer using it like a mouse. Still not sure if I like it, and it's really awkward to get used to, but I'm kinda digging it. The set up for typing is also interesting, where you use one track pad for each side of the digital keyboard and use the respective trigger to hit the buttons. I'm already getting used to it, but my "typing" speed is way lower than my usual average of 80 WPM.

As for the Steam Link, I tried it with a wireless connection and the streaming buffered and died soon into it. The ethernet cord that came with the Link isn't quite long enough to reach from my computer to the TV in the living room. It's only short by a few feet. But from everything I'm reading online, using an ethernet cable is almost a necessity. So I'll go buy a longer one tomorrow at Best Buy or something. From the short time it worked, though, I'm very excited. I only had to minimize Big Picture mode to access my desktop and use the controller's track pad as my mouse.

So yeah, I'm having some fun with my new gadgets.

I like how Overwatch is big enough that it is starting to become standard foley material in other vids.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I actually tried but failed to find a .GIF or something of the kidnappers from Cannonball Run II.
"Nothing can stop us now! It's foolproof!"
Something stops them due to once again underestimating their foolishness.

--Patrick

I actually tried but failed to find a .GIF or something of the kidnappers from Cannonball Run II.
"Nothing can stop us now! It's foolproof!"
Something stops them due to once again underestimating their foolishness.

--Patrick
Yes that is also an example.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Far Cry 3. It's pretty good for what it is. I don't really have much original to say about it that I haven't heard in multiple different reviews. Except for the fact that I liked Far Cry 2 better. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority in liking that game as much as I did, but I thought it did a lot of things right that FC3 messed up on. I've just started the second island in FC3, but I've seen a Let's Play of the game, so I know most of the plot.

- FC2 didn't make you carry around a repair tool. There has yet to be a point in FC3 where I wanted to trade a weapon slot for a repair tool, or even felt like I missed out for not having one. It's a baffling game design decision.

- For all that weapon degradation could be frustrating in FC2, I Liked being able to walk around and pull my weapons off the wall to change my loadout. I really miss being able to do that in FC3. The menus in FC3 are frustrating, poorly designed, and detract from the game.

- FC2 seemed to realize that it's protagonists (mercenaries) are ultimately selfish assholes, and the plot kinda revolved around showing how violence warps people, especially if they grow powerful through violence. FC3 shares some of the similarities in theme, but it really pulls it's punches and seems to want to paint Jason and his friends as likeable dudes, when they're spoiled rich brats. Also, the rebels are constantly spouting the same lines over and over, and they sound like the exact same kind of asshole dudebros that Jason and his friends are. ("This is ALL ME!", "I got this!" Shut up! You're just standing around, be quiet about how awesome you think you are!)

First of Danganronpa 2, electric boogaloo had a nice twist with the first killer but I could tell from the beginning that-
- Not-Makoto was nuts.

So the Link is now set up with a 14ft ethernet cable. And it works like a dream. No lag at all. My first game to test it out on? Witcher 3. And as I suspected, I'm sucked back into the game again.

And now, because it's as easy as minimizing or exiting out of Big Picture more to my desktop, I'm watching a movie.

I am LOVING this thing. All hail Lord Gaben!

Got to play the Monster Hunter World beta today and this game is still a sad month away. It's surprising just how much having no load screens, just one big map, changes a hunt. I had to get adjusted to it, like "Oh crap, I can't just run to the next screen to heal. It just keeps chasing me." I had a hell of a time finding an opportunity to sharpen my weapon. But this works the other way too--unless they can fly, the monsters can't just poof away like they used to. You can harass them as much as they harass you. There are also some nice quality of life changes to the display and function of some things, at least I think so. Might just be some stuff was simplified for the beta, but maybe not.

Unexpected things happened at the end of the highest difficulty hunt, but unlike on 3DS, I can record such things for posterity.

I have been playing Dangonronpa and now my husband thinks I'm weird is actually not at all surprised.

Last edited:
Is it awesome? How evil-ly difficult are you finding it so far?

I came here to post that I started my copy of HeartGold That I found at the retro store this fall complete with a Poke-walker because I needed a Monster Hunter break after going through Stories and quite a bit of 3 Ultimate.[DOUBLEPOST=1514087869,1514087783][/DOUBLEPOST]PS - I'm also annoyed that Pokemon is bringing an updated version of Crystal to their virtual console soon after bringing the old versions of Silver and Gold. Boo!

Is it awesome? How evil-ly difficult are you finding it so far?
Not too difficult; the video above is from the highest difficulty hunt. But I wouldn't call the beta representative of the game. On the one hand, you only get 20 minutes instead of 50, so you can't enjoy yourself as much and also get the hunt done. On the other, you're given pre-selected equipment sets and the monsters are balanced to them.

They seem to be making some things easier, like cooking and now you can change equipment while on a hunt, while increasing the things you can do on a hunt, like snaring birds to escape or travel, or letting you use the environment for setting traps or escaping.

I won't have a solid idea until late January when the real game comes out on PS4.

I am god awful at cooking steak in MH3U. So so terrible and Cha Cha laughs at me constantly. I'm looking forward to that being easier.

My son and I were really hoping that there would be local two player co-op, so we're disappointed there, but not so disappointed that we won't buy the game.

Me: "I'm going to keep the Monster Hunter World beta on the PS4 through January so I can stay loose until the full game comes out."

Wife: "Doesn't the beta end on Tuesday?"

Me: "... fuck."

On the one hand, it's not like there's a lot to do since there are only three hunts. On the other, nothing goes the same way twice. I decided to do some multiplayer tonight. There's voice communication now, which is cool, but I didn't use it. I'll have to learn how to do gestures again. In any case, our hunt for Anjinath led us up and down the map, several encounters with Great Jagras, fire in the forest, and me mounting a Rathalos to keep it off our backs while we did the real hunt, only for a misunderstanding to end up splitting the team, two of us chasing the Anjinath through the jungle, while the other two stayed with the Rathalos. Wish I could've seen how that went down, but they showed up just as we were finishing up the Anjinath. Apparently one of the bowgun options now allows for machine-gun rapid fire. I'm re-learning to use the charge blade and picking up some new techniques.

This game is just crazy and I already love the hell out of it. A lot of crazy stuff could happen in the other Monster Hunter games, but the physics of this one and the way the environments react, the size of the map, that it is just one giant map--lots of little things make a big difference. I love the way a larger monster can kinda spill off a platform. Everything feels so right that it'd be hard going back to the simpler Monster Hunter games afterward.

I'm probably going to be absent from Overwatch for a while once it comes out.