What are you playing?

I will say this about REmake; It's the very best version of what it's trying to be, but what it is is a style of game most people got sick of in the 90's. I still dig that old school survival horror shit, tank controls and all, but I fully get why it's not the magic it used to be.
It's very good at screwing with the expectations of people who played the original to death. Like the hallway dog fake out. I shouted "fuck you" at the game after I was done laughing with relief that I didn't have to run from anything in that hall. Y'know, yet.

It's very good at screwing with the expectations of people who played the original to death. Like the hallway dog fake out. I shouted "fuck you" at the game after I was done laughing with relief that I didn't have to run from anything in that hall. Y'know, yet.
Or hitting the notes you expected in the first game: During the scene in the bathroom, I was literally in the middle of telling some friends THAT should happen instead.

So, for my runthrough of Pokemon Ultra Moon, I decided to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer all my pokes over from Sun. This gave me a LOT more choice when it came to team composition. I didn't want to use the high-level ones, because I don't have enough crystals to get them to obey, but I could breed some of my old favorites.

Old team: Rowlet, Magnemite, Rockruff, Wingull, Grimer, Smoochum.

New team:
Rowlet (because he's my starter and I've formed an attachment to him)
Magnemite (because Magneton is awesome)
Grimer (may swap him with someone else)
Mudkip (because I liek him, and because he combines the best of both worlds when it comes to water and ground types)
Meditite (because Medicham's Pure Power is pure awesome)
Larvesta (a pain to train and evolve, but when Volcarona starts setting up with Quiver Dance, things are going to get hurt)

fade

Staff member
Man, rose-tinted glasses and all, but RE:1 was great. I still stand by my earlier statement that Playstation era was my favorite. So many of my favorite games were from then. It sat in that nice little place between simplistic 2D/synthetic sound and the newer games that leave nothing to the imagination.

Man, rose-tinted glasses and all, but RE:1 was great. I still stand by my earlier statement that Playstation era was my favorite. So many of my favorite games were from then. It sat in that nice little place between simplistic 2D/synthetic sound and the newer games that leave nothing to the imagination.
Fade hates too many polygons.

—Patrick

Super Mario Odyssey. It's great so far. I feel like the game is moving at a quick pace, but that I've only begun to scratch the surface.

Xenoblade Chronicles X 2.

Ok...uh, this game is kind of fun, but completely incomprehensible so far. There's seemingly no overall style to the game too, it's like some amalgam of every single weird Japanese character design tropes randomly mixed together. Even the character portraits are drawn by different people. There's nothing cohesive. It's really off putting.

So, are these Xenoblade games just Monolith's Final Fantasy now? Each game sharing some overarching themes but otherwise completely detached from each other. Basically goofy JRPG written by someone who skimmed a theology textbook once.

GasBandit

Staff member
Killing Floor 2 -

This week's weekly challenge is probably the most difficult and frustrating I've experienced since getting the game... 7 rounds on hard difficulty... where ONLY headshots do damage. That's not so bad in the regular waves, but it can be trouble on the boss waves, because headshots are difficult to get on certain bosses, especially King Fleshpound, because when he charges, he holds his (bulletproof invincible) arm-blender-thingies in front of his face. So, to get him back to being not-chargy you have to let him hit you. That can really hurt. A lot.

Fortunately, I was playing berserker, which means I can parry with my weapon, as long as I hit the parry button at the exact moment the attack would otherwise hit me. That reduces the damage I would have taken to a couple points, but still gets a charging enemy out of ragemode because he thinks he hit me for real.

At any rate, it took us FOUR TRIES (an hour and a goddamn half) to complete this weekly challenge, and all four times it gave us King Fleshpound as the boss. (By that third time I was begging and pleading for Hans Volter).

So, anyway, here's a 4 minute video of our final triumph.

Killing Floor 2 -

This week's weekly challenge is probably the most difficult and frustrating I've experienced since getting the game... 7 rounds on hard difficulty... where ONLY headshots do damage. That's not so bad in the regular waves, but it can be trouble on the boss waves, because headshots are difficult to get on certain bosses, especially King Fleshpound, because when he charges, he holds his (bulletproof invincible) arm-blender-thingies in front of his face. So, to get him back to being not-chargy you have to let him hit you. That can really hurt. A lot.

Fortunately, I was playing berserker, which means I can parry with my weapon, as long as I hit the parry button at the exact moment the attack would otherwise hit me. That reduces the damage I would have taken to a couple points, but still gets a charging enemy out of ragemode because he thinks he hit me for real.

At any rate, it took us FOUR TRIES (an hour and a goddamn half) to complete this weekly challenge, and all four times it gave us King Fleshpound as the boss. (By that third time I was begging and pleading for Hans Volter).

So, anyway, here's a 4 minute video of our final triumph.

Also, because the son of a bitch ducks his head when he runs, you can't shoot him from behind. And since Gas or I had to keep dodging around shit in case of lasers, it got really fucking annoying.

GasBandit

Staff member
I won't lie, morale was low in that 4th try. We were ready to say "fuck it" if we failed again. But it made the victory all the sweeter.

If only the reward item wasn't so fucking ugly.

[DOUBLEPOST=1512584709,1512584355][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I just noticed, that match gave me (understandably) a new personal record on headshots - 503.

I won't lie, morale was low in that 4th try. We were ready to say "fuck it" if we failed again. But it made the victory all the sweeter.

If only the reward item wasn't so fucking ugly.

[DOUBLEPOST=1512584709,1512584355][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I just noticed, that match gave me (understandably) a new personal record on headshots - 503.
I got 800+ headshots on one of the attempts.

Dave

Staff member
Nothing! I am able to play nothing! And it sucks. It is so boring here. Bad thing is I have my gaming computer with me, but my FIL is kind of difficult when it comes to logging in to his wi-fi. So I'm stuck doing nothing but reading and (ugh!) watching TV.

Doom VFR is finally out, and I've been itching for a new reason to bust out the vive. You know what that means...

It means I bought super hot vr instead because it was on sale.

And it's awesome

Nothing! I am able to play nothing! And it sucks. It is so boring here. Bad thing is I have my gaming computer with me, but my FIL is kind of difficult when it comes to logging in to his wi-fi. So I'm stuck doing nothing but reading and (ugh!) watching TV.
Make your phone a hotspot long enough to log in to steam and set it to offline mode. Done.

May I recommend this long-ass free book to keep you entertained? Good page turner if you need reading material that's easy on the bandwidth: Worm

Destiny 2

I did the free trial to level 8. This is a less interesting version of the Borderlands experience, with less interesting classes and less interesting weapons. I kind of feel like this is aimed at the 12-25 year old male demographic who need reassurance that their hobby isn't embarrassing or that a story needs to be SERIOUS BUSINESS for it to matter.

Won't be going back. 8 levels was enough to tell me that this game doesn't have what I want from a game.

Destiny 2
This is a less interesting version of the Borderlands experience
I'll be honest. I started Borderlands and Destiny 2 at about the same time.
I have 4 characters in Borderlands, levels 46, 40, and 2x20, but my Destiny 2 character hasn't even finished the tutorial yet.
Granted, my D2 play was hampered for an extra month by the SSSE3 thing at the beginning, but still.

--Patrick

Ok, you know what? Fuck that fucking plot armor trope bullshit.

Every fucking boss that isn't just some random crab monster in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has it. You fight the boss, you beat the boss, cutscene starts where actually, you lost that fight. EVERY FUCKING TIME.

This shit is so tiresome. I fucking haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it.

What's the fucking point of even having the boss fight? Just have me lose in a cutscene. Don't bother with the gameplay if it doesn't mean a fucking thing.

Doki Doki Literature Club

Basically yelled at @GasBandit the whole way through. An amazing experience. As been said before, spoilers ruin it, so best avoid and play it all in one sitting.