What are you playing?

Speaking of Persona, I enjoy Persona games, but SMT bores me to tears. At least, SMT 4 lost my interest around the time I found Earth. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but ehhhhhhhh,
SMTIV lacks the compelling characters of other games; I mainly enjoy it for the gameplay. SMT: Devil Survivor is better. I've heard SMTIV: Apocalypse is really great though.

Now that Persona 5 has turned the shadow enemies into the demons of the other SMT games, the whole "play a real Shin Megami Tensei game" holds even less water.

I'm going on another runthrough of Borderlands because I've never managed to complete it. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my game skills are deteriorating, or if it's because I'm just not used to how the game is designed, but I'm finding the gameplay to be rather difficult. Enemies can be a bit bullet-spongey at times, and I sometimes have trouble if I'm faced with too many at once. Still going to keep at it though, since it's not been too unenjoyable so far.

Oh, also, I went online to look at some online discussions about the difficulty, see if there's anything I might have missed about the gameplay or my character build, etc, and I came across the suggestion "farm people for oranges". Which, I think, would be a delightfully bizarre thing to read out of context.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm going on another runthrough of Borderlands because I've never managed to complete it. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my game skills are deteriorating, or if it's because I'm just not used to how the game is designed, but I'm finding the gameplay to be rather difficult. Enemies can be a bit bullet-spongey at times, and I sometimes have trouble if I'm faced with too many at once. Still going to keep at it though, since it's not been too unenjoyable so far.

Oh, also, I went online to look at some online discussions about the difficulty, see if there's anything I might have missed about the gameplay or my character build, etc, and I came across the suggestion "farm people for oranges". Which, I think, would be a delightfully bizarre thing to read out of context.
You gotta get yourself a Maliwan Hellfire.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Hellfire_(Borderlands)

Boom. Game is suddenly trivial.

Later, also be sure to farm all the human mobs over and over in the trash coast, because that's where I usually also find a Maliwan Volcano.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Volcano_(Borderlands)

Until you start getting endgame weapons right at the very end, these two guns are what will carry you on.

Thank you, Persona 5.

One of the issue with Persona 3 is that it doesn't have much forward momentum; you're just exploring Tartarus and trying to be strong enough for each month's story event when it happens at the full moon. Persona 4 tried to fix this by having each dungeon be a proponent for that dungeon, but after finishing a TV World area, nothing was strong enough to be worth fighting until the next event. So you have a cycle of just doing story stuff until a new dungeon opens, and then doing dungeon stuff but make sure it's done before the deadline.

Persona 5 fixes this by having story event dungeons like Persona 5, but also having its own Tartarus-style game-length dungeon you can use for side quests or just doing Persona/shadow stuff between story event dungeons. Nice work, Atlus.

Weird. I find it rather easy. And it gets really easy if I do a lot of sidequests. It's grinding without quite feeling like grinding.

I find that my key strategy is to get a shield that regenerates health. Although that might be more for the convenience of not hunting down healing rather than surviving.

But also, keep upgrading your weapons as often as possible.

Hitman Absolution

This is my first ever foray into Hitman. I don't know why I've never played the games before. Probably because they're heavily focused on stealth, something I rarely have the patience for.

But I like how the game gives you a lot of options. I've actually gone back and tried completing all the challenges. I particularly enjoyed the Chinatown mission where you poison the guy. Especially where you can poison the drugs that he snorts and dies literally in front of his dealer. The challenges like that where you can kill without anyone ever noticing you are the most satisfying to me.

I HATED the later missions where I had to escape. I don't understand why the game couldn't just be more assassination missions because those "escape the cops" chase missions were an unenjoyable pain in the ass.

Funny enough, I've been looking up the other games and it seems this actually rates low on the list of Hitman games. I might check the other ones out sometime. Apparently Blood Money and Contracts are considered the two best by most. I'll see if I can snatch them up during a sale.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hitman Absolution

This is my first ever foray into Hitman. I don't know why I've never played the games before. Probably because they're heavily focused on stealth, something I rarely have the patience for.

But I like how the game gives you a lot of options. I've actually gone back and tried completing all the challenges. I particularly enjoyed the Chinatown mission where you poison the guy. Especially where you can poison the drugs that he snorts and dies literally in front of his dealer. The challenges like that where you can kill without anyone ever noticing you are the most satisfying to me.

I HATED the later missions where I had to escape. I don't understand why the game couldn't just be more assassination missions because those "escape the cops" chase missions were an unenjoyable pain in the ass.

Funny enough, I've been looking up the other games and it seems this actually rates low on the list of Hitman games. I might check the other ones out sometime. Apparently Blood Money and Contracts are considered the two best by most. I'll see if I can snatch them up during a sale.
Blood money is definitely my favorite of the bunch, but I put Hitman 2: Silent assassin ahead of Contracts. Though, since it is older, it looks and feels a little dated now.

I second Blood Money being the best of the Hitman games. I feel like that was when they distilled all the elements from the earlier games into the perfect cocktail.

Still mildly obsessing over Persona 3, and I have this ridiculous thing going where I'm charming as Hell (art imitating life and all that), but I'm terrified of getting too close to my female friends because I don't want to lead anyone on. This has had the effect of teaching me that I would completely get into (but will staunchly avoid) dating simulators.

I honestly don't know how to feel about that.

Dave

Staff member
I've been playing a shitload of Eve lately. I'm back to liking the game a lot, but I'm still a baby when it comes to being able to actually DO anything. Which is amusing considering the character was started in 2010. If only I'd have periodically gone in and reset his skill training I'd be godlike. But alas.

One thing that I didn't miss, though...MMO drama.

In MMOs you frequently really need a fairly strong guild/group/corp/whatever and in Eve it's even worse. If you don't have a good corp and try and go at it alone there's just not much you can do. So I log in last night and one of the first guys I met in corp and really get along with IMs me and lets me know that he's leaving the corp due to stupid fuckery over an imaginary "swear jar" that people will jokingly call out while in Discord chat. Apparently someone took exception to something he said and one of the "officers" told him he had to give that offended person 1 million ISK. The guy told her to essentially fuck off. Which was the right thing to do.

The same girl who told him he had to pay was the same one who argued with me over chickens and what happens when you cut off their heads. She used Mike the Headless Chicken as an example of why chickens can and did live after cutting off their heads. I explained that in the case of said Mike it was not a clean cut and that a portion of his brain was still active and the results were NOT indicative of what happened every other time in human history that a chicken's head was cut off. She'd never seen it or done it and I did it a LOT when I was growing up working on farms. And she doubled down on how wrong I was.

MMO drama is just fucking stupid. I'm tempted to fly off and join the GoonSwarm or something. You know, a group of immature idiots who just want to mine or blow something up, have a few laughs, and don't really give a shit. But I got all my stuff here! Moving would be a pain in the ass.

Still mildly obsessing over Persona 3, and I have this ridiculous thing going where I'm charming as Hell (art imitating life and all that), but I'm terrified of getting too close to my female friends because I don't want to lead anyone on. This has had the effect of teaching me that I would completely get into (but will staunchly avoid) dating simulators.

I honestly don't know how to feel about that.
I have a separate steam account specifically for dating and banging simulator games, mostly so I don't accidentally family share them. >.>

fade

Staff member
Dishonored

I bought this a while ago, but I only just started playing it. It's pretty fun, but also really tedious to try to be completely non-lethal. I kind of gave up on that and decided to be less than lethal as much as I could. The story is interesting. Reminds me a lot of Bioshock in atmosphere. Out of all the powers I've aquired, Blink is the most useful, and pretty fun. Aww, did you spot me, guard? Well, hang on while I teleport behind you and choke you out.

Dishonored

I bought this a while ago, but I only just started playing it. It's pretty fun, but also really tedious to try to be completely non-lethal. I kind of gave up on that and decided to be less than lethal as much as I could. The story is interesting. Reminds me a lot of Bioshock in atmosphere. Out of all the powers I've aquired, Blink is the most useful, and pretty fun. Aww, did you spot me, guard? Well, hang on while I teleport behind you and choke you out.
That's funny, because I loved going full stealth on that. Figuring out how to get around without having to kill anyone was a huge bonus for me. Made it more of a puzzle game.

Dishonored

I started each level trying to be stealthy but still, at some point I'd get spotted and have to kill the guy. At which point, I'd say "fuck it. Now everyone dies," and there'd just me and a pile of corpses at the end of the level.

fade

Staff member
That's funny, because I loved going full stealth on that. Figuring out how to get around without having to kill anyone was a huge bonus for me. Made it more of a puzzle game.
Usually it is for me, too. But the fact that this game has like 1 color and bright lights blazing directly into your eyes makes it difficult to find everybody. Dark Vision helps, but it's got an effective range that means by the time it works, you already see the guy anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started each level trying to be stealthy but still, at some point I'd get spotted and have to kill the guy. At which point, I'd say "fuck it. Now everyone dies," and there'd just me and a pile of corpses at the end of the level.
That's usually what I did in Hitman games.

In dishonored, I did a playthrough each way... one stealthy and nonlethal, the other a complete facestabbing bloodbath. Good stuff, both ways.

fade

Staff member
One thing that bugs me is that I just started playing, and I'm already taking out one of the big bads. Makes me feel like this game is really short, and some googling backs me up on that.

That's usually what I did in Hitman games.

In dishonored, I did a playthrough each way... one stealthy and nonlethal, the other a complete facestabbing bloodbath. Good stuff, both ways.
I wound up trying a stealthy, nonlethal playthrough of Dishonored after finishing the game. I think I mostly succeeded, but I can't remember for sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
One thing that bugs me is that I just started playing, and I'm already taking out one of the big bads. Makes me feel like this game is really short, and some googling backs me up on that.
I'm usually one who gripes about the brevity of games in recent years, but I'd say this one isn't TOO short. I mean, it's not a long game by any stretch, but I didn't feel cheated when I finished it, like I did with the campaign of half the games that came out between 2005 and 2015.

I think that's why I tried the second, stealthy playthrough. It became, as @Fun Size said, more like a puzzle game. It felt different enough to be worth the second playthrough.

I didn't mind the shortness, though. I was, however, irritatedby the plot twist.

It goes a little longer than you expect due to some plot stuff, but I think if it was any longer than it is, it would wear out its welcome.

Now that Fallout Shelter is available on Steam, I've just started playing it--even though the last time you guys have talked about it here was 9 months ago.

I'm always so behind the times. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
Now that Fallout Shelter is available on Steam, I've just started playing it--even though the last time you guys have talked about it here was 9 months ago.

I'm always so behind the times. :(
I would think that 9 to 12 hour process times for training and whatnot would be even less endearing on PC as they were on mobile, but I'm curious to know your take once you've played it for a week or two.

I would think that 9 to 12 hour process times for training and whatnot would be even less endearing on PC as they were on mobile, but I'm curious to know your take once you've played it for a week or two.
meh..I'm not a "sit for two to five hours straight and play video games" kind of guy any more. Games that let you play for a half hour or so and then come back the next day to see progress are perfect for me these days. I already play a bunch of web-based games like that, where I can spend a few minutes setting stuff up for the next day. I really don't have time for much else lately.

I really should get back into Eve :D

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, a mouse interface can only make certain aspects of it less irritating, to be sure. I grow to hate touchscreen interfaces more and more as time passes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hate low batteries, hate touchscreens...why do you have a smartphone, again?

--Patrick
Because I like my MP3 player to be able to text and make phone calls.

Believe me, if the sidekick 3 could do 4G LTE and and Netflix and Chromecast I'd still have my sidekick 3. That was the best keyboard ever for a handheld device, and trackball Beats touchscreen All To Hell any day.

GasBandit

Staff member
Me at work:
"Oh boy, I can't wait to get home and play Darkest Dungeons or Killing Floor 2 or Cosmic Star Heroine, and I've been meaning to get back into Kerbal Space Program, and I've been meaning to check out Avorion, and...."

Me, getting home:
"I'm just gonna collapse on the couch, turn on the chromecast and not move until I have to go to work tomorrow."

I've fallen back into Elite: Dangerous. I have a second account with basically nothing that I have decided to turn into a dedicated explorer. I put together a flying jalopy and set sail into the black, and have in roughly six hours made it 4kly into my 22kly trip to Colonia, the first major settlement made outside the bubble.