What are you playing?

I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love how complex the Gwent game is compared to the minigame in the Witcher 3. I recognize so many of the cards, but they're all different enough that I have to relearn everything. This is pleasing.

GasBandit

Staff member
My ranks swell.

newguys.png

Grue the Occultist, Shegokigo the Hellion, TinWhistler the Jester and Bert the Houndmaster have joined the fight.

Terrik, Gas, Pez and Dei put an end to the cannibalistic machinations of the Wizened Hag and reclaimed the stolen 8-pounder cannon from the brigands in the surrounding area, but Gas picked up some nasty things that needed to be treated. So then Dave took his place for a bit, and the party took down the Sonorous Prophet pretty easily - Dave might actually be a better Highwayman than Gas (:confused:). Meanwhile, Shego, Eriol, Bert and Dirona silenced the call of the Siren. Then Gas returned to the original party, and they tried and failed to purge the ruins of a Necromancer, but didn't even make it all the way to the boss before they had to beat a bloody retreat. At least nobody died, and they came back with their packs bursting with treasure.

My ranks swell.

View attachment 23711

Grue the Occultist, Shegokigo the Hellion, TinWhistler the Jester and Bert the Houndmaster have joined the fight.

Terrik, Gas, Pez and Dei put an end to the cannibalistic machinations of the Wizened Hag and reclaimed the stolen 8-pounder cannon from the brigands in the surrounding area, but Gas picked up some nasty things that needed to be treated. So then Dave took his place for a bit, and the party took down the Sonorous Prophet pretty easily - Dave might actually be a better Highwayman than Gas :)confused:). Meanwhile, Shego, Eriol, Bert and Dirona silenced the call of the Siren. Then Gas returned to the original party, and they tried and failed to purge the ruins of a Necromancer, but didn't even make it all the way to the boss before they had to beat a bloody retreat. At least nobody died, and they came back with their packs bursting with treasure.
I'm starting to become offended.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've had military training.
You got a point there.

Heh, but in game, Gas and Dave use two different styles - I have Gas doing mostly mid-range pistol work, Dave's more knifey. And it turns out, there's a melee ability that gives the Highwayman automatic counterattacks for a few rounds, and it's turning out to be too good to build the class around anything else, I am finding. I'll probably be re-speccing Gas accordingly.[DOUBLEPOST=1493044842,1493044780][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're making him a leper?! I guess you know how he feels about you now @Snuffleupagus
I haven't decided who I'm making what, yet :p

In more Persona news, my husband was making fun of my obsession with romance choices, and questioning how I have put nearly 90 hours into this game so far. And then in a separate conversation with someone at work, he was told that if he was looking for a game to play, he should try Persona because it's really good. I don't know who this co-worker is, but I want to buy him a drink.

In more Persona news, my husband was making fun of my obsession with romance choices, and questioning how I have put nearly 90 hours into this game so far. And then in a separate conversation with someone at work, he was told that if he was looking for a game to play, he should try Persona because it's really good. I don't know who this co-worker is, but I want to buy him a drink.
I wish my wife cared as little about Persona 5 as your husband. Now any night I want to play something else, it's a problem because it's interrupting essentially her new favorite anime.

Found a planet in Elite that is just awful. High gravity, a metallic ring system around it that interferes with frame shift drives, getting to and leaving the planet is a nightmare. But it's a good place to find salvage

Spoiled for size

I wish my wife cared as little about Persona 5 as your husband. Now any night I want to play something else, it's a problem because it's interrupting essentially her new favorite anime.
My husband is out of town for the month, he's only getting this from me through text. ;)

And for anyone that just really likes high res screenshots, here's two more of that same crash, one from my rover on the ground, and one from the air before leaving this godforsaken planet.

You're making me want to play Elite Dangerous.
There's a reason people call it Screenshot Simulator 2017

I've been vocal about how much I enjoy the game, but I have a hard time recommending it because it's a very niche game.

You also really need one of these

(that's the model I have, and if you look close in the first screenshot I posted, it matches the in-game cockpit controls)

How playable is it with M+K? I really don't want to splash out on a joystick.
I know a few people who play exclusively with M+K. It's certainly doable, there are even people who use only x-box controllers (I use one for driving the ground explorer) and I started out using only mouse and keyboard, but getting a stick really changed things.

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkest Dungeon -

The ranks are joined by Patrthom the Plague Doctor and Amy the Antiquarian. She's not much of a fighter, but can manipulate others into fighting for her/defending her, and gets extra loot for the party.

Shego, Celt Z, Bert, and Grue had a little trouble with the Swine Prince, but prevailed in the end.

(Also now Twitch embeds are working right again, finally, thank glob)

Later, Terrik, Gas, Pez, and Dei attempted to assault the lair of the Necromancer again, but the stress of battle overwhelmed Terrik, and upon failing his mental saving throw, he became afflicted by Masochism, and refused to be healed by any source.

It soon became clear over the next couple fights that the quest had to be abandoned again, or else Terrik would certainly perish, albeit in a fit of ecstasy.

Not long after, while some of the others were scouting the coves, all of the groups' trinkets were stolen by a giant mutant crow known as the Shrieker! With Terrik and Pez still under treatment, Gas and Dei were joined by Dave and Celt Z to attempt to chase after the fell abomination and retrieve the stolen baubles.

I was somewhat less than prepared for the encounter, it was much tougher than I thought. More than once, Celt Z stood at death's door - only luck and Dei's frenzied ministrations kept her from slipping past the veil. But ultimately, the party prevailed (technically the foul bird took wing and escaped, but it left behind the treasures). But the stress was too much for Dei, and she had to be sent to the sanitarium for a week to cure "The Fits" and then kept out of action a further week for mental health purposes.

Last edited:
So, that Torment: Tides of Numenera is pretty fucking good.

The setting is so God damn intriguing that I'm going to go down to my FLGS and pick up the source book for the tabletop RPG.

This is your fault Wizards of the Coast. If you can't deliver me something like Planescape, Monte Cook's Numenera might be a superior alternative. Really looking forward to reading it.

fade

Staff member
Because I like my MP3 player to be able to text and make phone calls.

Believe me, if the sidekick 3 could do 4G LTE and and Netflix and Chromecast I'd still have my sidekick 3. That was the best keyboard ever for a handheld device, and trackball Beats touchscreen All To Hell any day.
What's a "phone call"?[DOUBLEPOST=1493217222,1493216930][/DOUBLEPOST]Where's the Darkest Dungeon fade?

GasBandit

Staff member
But in ACTUAL Darkest Dungeon event news-

Last night the company was (FINALLY) joined by Snuffles, the Man-at-Arms. Though, honestly his performance was a little underwhelming. His attacks seem to miss more than they hit, and his damage is palpably lower than other front-line brawlers. All that would be ok if he could soak damage, but he seems not as good at that as a Crusader or even a Hellion, and can't dodge like a Highwayman or Bounty Hunter. One of the nights' forays had to be aborted because it was clear he would die before completion of the task. But, despite all that, he's going to stay, because our roster is particularly lacking front line fighters, so even a mediocre one is better than not having him. I can only hope he gets stronger quickly as his level goes up.

Amy, despite the antiquarian's near-complete uselessness in combat, is becoming a party staple. Any trip into any dungeon easily doubles (and once so far has quadrupled) the loot haul they bring back when she does the looting. And, I've found that pairing her up with a character that gets riposte and high dodge (IE, a highwayman) really cranks up the group's damage output because when she forces another party member to defend her, it also buffs that defender's dodge stat by a decent amount. So, that gives the highwayman a 50% or so chance of being on the receiving end of any given attack, which gives him loads of free counterattacks, and his already high dodge chances boosted even higher means he frequently takes no damage.

In fact, I'm seeing a pattern emerge here - this game is trying to break you of the "tank and heal" RPG habit. Even the vestal, the strongest healing class in the game, can't keep up with the damage output of even mid-level mook mobs, and the armor absorption (called "prot%" in this game) isn't near what I think it should be for tanks - and does nothing against stress. On the other hand, dodging seems a lot more reliable (especially when buffed) for survival, and has the added bonus that it avoids both kinds of damage - mundane and mental. So, the name of the game is clearly shaping up to be "do as much damage as you can, as fast as you can, and rely on high dodge stats to avoid damage in return."

The only noteworthy battle last night was Charon, Celt Z, PatrThom and Amy taking down "the Inchoate Flesh." Granted, it was probably a lot more interesting to fight than to watch.

This shapeshifting abomination of dark science shared one 100 hp bar across all four "party slots," and what "parts" grew in each slot determined what the boss would do that round. Parts that looked like they had a head would bite savagely at the front line, parts that looked tentacle-festooned would whip at the back line, parts that look like protruding bone would stun at random, and parts that look like guts/intestines would heal the whole body. Learning what did what was part of what made the fight interesting. After some difficulty where we slowly were being depleted of our HP while the Flesh seemed able to heal anything we dished out, I switched tactics, abandoning almost all pretext to defense, buffed the hell out of the damage dealers and had everybody run screeching and hacking at the softest bits they could find, while Patr pelted everything with as much DOT damage as he could stack up. Thankfully, that was sufficient to overwhelm the Flesh's ability to heal itself, and the party was victorious. It wasn't the hardest boss I've faced so far in the game, but I appreciate that it made me really think and change tactics out of my "comfort zone" to overcome it.

Last edited:
But in ACTUAL Darkest Dungeon event news-

Last night the company was (FINALLY) joined by Snuffles, the Man-at-Arms. Though, honestly his performance was a little underwhelming. His attacks seem to miss more than they hit, and his damage is palpably lower than other front-line brawlers. All that would be ok if he could soak damage, but he seems not as good at that as a Crusader or even a Hellion, and can't dodge like a Highwayman or Bounty Hunter. One of the nights' forays had to be aborted because it was clear he would die before completion of the task. But, despite all that, he's going to stay, because our roster is particularly lacking front line fighters, so even a mediocre one is better than not having him. I can only hope he gets stronger quickly as his level goes up.
Yeah, that's definitely me.