What are you playing?

Okay that kind of looks fun, I guess. If I was gaming with friends. With strangers, no. I would be so outclassed with my limited gaming time, I would just be insta-murdered.

TIL "emergent gaming"
That happens to people who play the game for a living, too. Whenever the Achievement Hunters have to go into a Public Game (usually for Heists or CEO or Motorcycle Club missions), they are pretty much insta-murdered repeatedly.

Emergent Gaming is a pretty handy term that encompasses any sort of organic gaming experience, rather than intentionally created instances. Using GTA V as an example, doing a RockStar Heist wouldn't be Emergent Gameplay, but playing a player created gametype and map would be.

Time for FF15. I'm having some intense pain med insomnia and I'm about to fire it up. If I need to like update my PS4 for hours, I may cry. Real cry tears.

Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City: Welp, they found a way to stop someone from just rushing through an area. Painfully.

I think I'm close to the first boss, so I have that to look forward to tomorrow. Been ganked only once, by someone wielding the twin tower shields weapon new to the DLC. They didn't even have to do anything, I just freaked out enough that I got skewered by two enemies behind us.

FF15 is fun so far. It feels more like Dragon Age Inquisition or a watered down Fallout than a Final Fantasy game, but its fun. The dudes in my party complain an awful lot about the heat and being tired and hungry though omg....worse than my kids on a long drive.

My cousin has told me that Stellaris is pretty cool and that if I loved Masters of Orion, that I should love this too. Have any of you tried it?

Persona 3 Portable is a goddamned delight. Between this and Luigi's Mansion : Dark Moon, I have a wealth of portable gaming goodness right now.

Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City:

Ooh yeah, that's some long-awaited lore. I love discovering cool details while being fucked over by everything that walks and crawls.

Found what I've learned is an optional boss. No idea how I'm supposed to do this, but I will bang my against Londor stones until I start to figure it out.

Finished Dark Souls 3 DLC.

Implications as to why the whole cycle started.

Mind blown.

That made this a more satisfying conclusion than the main game's finale.

Can't wait for tonight when I can go through the first couple hours of Persona 5 that will likely keep tradition with past games and have very little freedom or gameplay until the 3-hour mark. And I'll still accept it and be happy; thanks Atlus.

At least, I hope it's tonight. Amazon isn't always punctual about video game pre-orders, even gift ones.

fade

Staff member
Okay, the story mode on GTA V got a lot more interesting. The game has some good challenges, too. Like jumping a dirt bike onto the top of a train.

Can't wait for tonight when I can go through the first couple hours of Persona 5 that will likely keep tradition with past games and have very little freedom or gameplay until the 3-hour mark. And I'll still accept it and be happy; thanks Atlus.

At least, I hope it's tonight. Amazon isn't always punctual about video game pre-orders, even gift ones.
Well, you are in for a surprise.

I mean the game content not the delivery

Played some Abyss Odyssey since it was on sale for like 3 bucks on Indiegala.

Worth it. Fucking great little game. Kind of a rogue like, 2D Castlevania esque little action platformer with wonderful music and some really, really beautiful art. The special move demon is one of my favorite looking things ever. At first, I thought the controls were really clunky, but then it kind of clicked in a Castlevania (of the NES era) way. You gotta learn how your character fights and moves. Kind of excited to play some local coop with a buddy at some point. This is a great way to spend 3 dollars.

The enemy AI is pretty devious. They dodge and try to flank you. They're not above cheaping you out either if you keep falling for the same move over and over.

I doubt it's for everyone, but it scratched my itch for the afternoon and you can't really ask for more for a 3 dollar bill....y'all.

Here's the special move demon I was talking about's picture.

Do you like Magic The Gathering?

Do you wish there was an online version as polished as Hearthstone and not the super shitty whatever Magic currently has?

Well boy are you in luck, because Eternal is exactly that!

https://www.eternalcardgame.com/

Brian Kibler is listed as a consultant for the game, which is always a good sign for me. I've been playing the last couple of games, and so far it's pretty good. Lots of single-player content for those that like it, and you have to get through the beginner 'campaign' before vs mode unlocks. It also features a real draft system where you can draft a deck and then keep those cards after all of your draft games are over.

Okay, the story mode on GTA V got a lot more interesting. The game has some good challenges, too. Like jumping a dirt bike onto the top of a train.
Did you venture into LS prior to that mission as Michael or Trevor? You have to fend off a constant stream of hitmen sent by Madrazo. I always find it an interesting challenge.

Persona 5

This game is so sleek and cool. Certainly breaking the mold a little for Persona games when it could've easily pleased fans by going the same route as Persona 3 and 4. For whatever reason, some of it reminds me more of Catherine.

In the actual story ... this poor goddamn kid. Does the right thing and just catches shit from everyone left and right for it.

Which makes it all the more empowering when the powers that be press him to accept who he is, that between justice and popularity he'll choose justice. It was such a validating moment for his persona to awaken.

I was surprised that Igor sounded so different in this version, almost like another personality--did not realize the old voice actor passed away years ago.

Persona 5

This game is so sleek and cool. Certainly breaking the mold a little for Persona games when it could've easily pleased fans by going the same route as Persona 3 and 4. For whatever reason, some of it reminds me more of Catherine.

In the actual story ... this poor goddamn kid. Does the right thing and just catches shit from everyone left and right for it.

Which makes it all the more empowering when the powers that be press him to accept who he is, that between justice and popularity he'll choose justice. It was such a validating moment for his persona to awaken.

I was surprised that Igor sounded so different in this version, almost like another personality--did not realize the old voice actor passed away years ago.
Yeah that was why the character was barely in Persona 4.

Among the Sleep

I think I got this in a Humble Bundle some time ago. It was on my wish list, too. Anyway, I finally got around to playing it and...yeah, it was pretty good. Really great, creepy atmosphere. Some relatively well designed levels. Though sometimes, it wasn't obvious where I had to go next, like subtle visual cues in the background or something.

I remembered reading what the big "surprise" was for the game, so it made me look for the imagery that a 2-year old would interpret. Really good stuff, especially in the crayon drawings. The big surprise makes the ending a particular gut punch.

Overall, it wasn't bad. It's short, but I think it needed to be so it wouldn't overstay its welcome. But it's particularly interesting playing as a toddler. Love the mechanic that crawling makes you to faster. It's a funny change from how crouching is usually faster. I think there were some lost opportunities for game mechanics, though. Teddy (your teddy bear companion) spends most of his time hung to your back and rarely factors into the game. He's there more for exposition or a guide, but I think it's a missed opportunity to do more with the character.

So yeah, I'd recommend it if you see it on for 75% off or something.

I find that, more and more often these days, I'll go home after a stressful day from work and just go on murder sprees in GTA 5. All three characters have over 1 billion dollars, which is basically "fuck you" money in Los Santos, thanks to me saving the Lester assassination missions until after the final heist. So I can buy tanks and jets and drive them around blasting things to bits, and when I inevitably get wasted, eh, I still have nine hundred and seventy million dollars left. I don't do any missions, I don't compete in races or perform drug drops, I just go around killing people.

Actually, my preferred method of mass murder these days is to get on the back of a train with a minigun and start blasting everything in sight. The train moves too fast for police vehicles to catch me, and I can usually shoot up police cars and vans before they get close, so helicopters are the only threat. Fortunately, the minigun is super effective against them too. And if I do take too much damage and approach death, I can duck down behind the rim of a flatbed car and let my health regen, or wait for my wanted stars to fade.

fade

Staff member
I find that, more and more often these days, I'll go home after a stressful day from work and just go on murder sprees in GTA 5. All three characters have over 1 billion dollars, which is basically "fuck you" money in Los Santos, thanks to me saving the Lester assassination missions until after the final heist. So I can buy tanks and jets and drive them around blasting things to bits, and when I inevitably get wasted, eh, I still have nine hundred and seventy million dollars left. I don't do any missions, I don't compete in races or perform drug drops, I just go around killing people.

Actually, my preferred method of mass murder these days is to get on the back of a train with a minigun and start blasting everything in sight. The train moves too fast for police vehicles to catch me, and I can usually shoot up police cars and vans before they get close, so helicopters are the only threat. Fortunately, the minigun is super effective against them too. And if I do take too much damage and approach death, I can duck down behind the rim of a flatbed car and let my health regen, or wait for my wanted stars to fade.

So, zis murder spree... How doez it make feel?

Saint's Row 3 gives you an Atari Tank that fires pixel shells. And the thing is absolutely impervious.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bought Darkest Dungeon, because it's on sale this weekend, and man oh man am I enjoying it. It's a single player rogue-like RPG steeped in horror (the slow, creeping dread kind, not the jump-scare kind). Reminds me a lot of FTL, albiet slightly less "Game-Overy." I mean, there's death and tragedy and setbacks, but you can flee from the dungeons at any time (with a stress penalty) If there's a party member getting low/insane you really don't want to lose. You can trade out party members, too, so that you're delving with some while others are recuperating.

There's a wide variety of classes and roles are blended across the spectrum - for example, there are classes that heal better than other classes, and classes that tank better than other classes, but it isn't cut and dry. Healers will also be attacking, and the arguably strongest tank can also do some healing, and everybody has situations in which they'll do lots of damage. The party order (and the opponents' party order) also come into play regarding what abilities can be used when, and each class can learn more abilities than can be used on a given foray into the dungeon, so you'll be able to further customize your party members to compliment each other. Naturally, most melee abilities require you to be up front and hit enemies who are up front, and ranged attacks generally work better from the back, but there are also classes like the grave robber or jester whose attacks automatically move them around in your order, and compliment each other. For example, the Jester's "Solo" ability will have him leap to the front of the party, debuffing all enemy's accuracy, and can then be followed up with "Finale," which requires him to be in the very front slot but will deal +150% damage (that's two and a half times total) to one enemy target with a high crit chance, and additionally will move the Jester all the way to the back while debuffing himself heavily for the next three rounds. So if you can wrap your head around the fancy aspects, it opens up a lot of powerful attack options. Of course, if you'd rather just stick to the old Tank-MeleeDPS-Healer-RangedDPS paradigm, you can absolutely do that, too.

My only gripe is the "heirloom" currency system. The town's facilities (blacksmith, trainers, healers etc) are upgraded using heirlooms instead of gold, and the heirlooms drop/are given as quest rewards by a RNG that hates you. They come in four kinds (Busts, Portraits, Deeds and Crests) and I'm drowning in Crests but starved for deeds. The other two seem slightly less unbalanced.

It comes with 3 game modes, Radiant (easy), Darkest (normal), and Stygian (hard). I'm playing on Radiant currently, and while progress is still difficult, it's not nearly as punishing/instafail as any level of FTL and I don't really think I'm in danger of any truly game-ending setbacks as long as I don't get super stupid.

It comes with 3 game modes, Radiant (easy), Darkest (normal), and Stygian (hard). I'm playing on Radiant currently, and while progress is still difficult, it's not nearly as punishing/instafail as any level of FTL and I don't really think I'm in danger of any truly game-ending setbacks as long as I don't get super stupid.
As much as I love FTL, there ARE times you'd get an encounter where you are just absolutely fucked and it was through no fault of your own.

A sure sign that I am addicted to Critical Role is how confused I get when I hear Matt Mercer's voice in Persona 5.

GasBandit

Staff member
A sure sign that I am addicted to Critical Role is how confused I get when I hear Matt Mercer's voice in Persona 5.
Ha ha ha, you should try watching the english dub of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. In part 3, you'll keep waiting for Jojo to declare that it's Hiiiiiigh nooooon.

Speaking of Persona, I enjoy Persona games, but SMT bores me to tears. At least, SMT 4 lost my interest around the time I found Earth. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but ehhhhhhhh,