What are you playing?

Darkness II

Finished it up last night. Pretty fun, overall. I don't regret basically paying $0.50 for it (and another $0.50 for Duke Nukem Forever) on Humble Bundle. Loved the variety of moves you could do with your tentacle monster thingies. Though it was annoying that most enemies attacked with guns so they didn't get close enough for you to USE those tentacles. And it was suicide to run in close.

Still, fun enough. Story was ho-hum, characters were all bland mafia dudes, but there were some really cool WTF moments like the hallucinations throughout the game.

Darkness II

Finished it up last night. Pretty fun, overall. I don't regret basically paying $0.50 for it (and another $0.50 for Duke Nukem Forever) on Humble Bundle. Loved the variety of moves you could do with your tentacle monster thingies. Though it was annoying that most enemies attacked with guns so they didn't get close enough for you to USE those tentacles. And it was suicide to run in close.

Still, fun enough. Story was ho-hum, characters were all bland mafia dudes, but there were some really cool WTF moments like the hallucinations throughout the game.
The Darkness 1 (Only on... PS3?) is WAY, WAY better. Amazing story. It's my de facto version of the Darkness and the one that needs more mainstream release.

My only complaint about Nigwt in the Woods is I wish they had recorded voice acting for the song lyrics during the band practice sequences, because it's hard to read them while doing a rhythm game. But then I suppose it wouldn't inspire so many covers.

First thought: Wow, Angus has a lovely voice

The Darkness 1 (Only on... PS3?) is WAY, WAY better. Amazing story. It's my de facto version of the Darkness and the one that needs more mainstream release.
Yeah seconded. The gameplay in 2 is a little better but the original is a cut above in every other way.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

So I already played what may be one of the best games of the year in the form of Night in the Woods. Amazing story, shit got too real for comfort in a lot of sections, I highly recommend it for anyone who likes adventure games and has ever felt the general ennui that comes from entering into adulthood and realizing oh god, this is it.

Now it's time to play my free copy of Mass Effect: Andromeda

I've only got about an hour and a half in now, and if I'm going to be perfectly honest it's not a terrible game. The facial animations are as bad as everyone says, all the humans look like bad animatronics, and the writing in the beginning of the story can get pretty damn cheesy. But it's not bad, it feels Mass Effecty. It's not as good as ME2 so far, but I would say it's better than ME1. ME3 we don't talk about.

But let's talk about some EA bullshit, because it has directly impacted my ability to enjoy the game. The reason I stopped when I did is because I finally died, which is like, alright, that's fine, I'll just load up the save point and...

Oh, I'm sorry, what's that? Save points aren't stored locally on your computer? They're saved to the Origin CLOUDSYNC? And Origin servers are having problems right now? So at no point was my game ever saved during this, all I get is an error saying savegame can't be found.

Yeah... fuck you, EA.

Mass Effect 1 > 2 > 3

One had the better story and felt like a fresh adventure. Also, Saren and Sovereign > Harbinger and Collectors > Kai Leng and Illusive Man (and also Harbinger for a second).

The combat is kind of irrelevant to me since it's so mediocre, that even the improvements made in 2 and 3 don't make up for how lame it was.

Corridor, waist high barricades everywhere, horde mode for a couple of minutes, rinse repeat.

I like ME2 more than 1, but it's real close. ME1 was a game that blew me away. I played it over the course of a weekend, almost non-stop, simply because Saren had to be stopped. I was sad that ME2 took out some of the more fiddly RPG elements to focus as a more competent shooter, but I felt it didn't detract from the game at all, and the better combat only made it better, doing everything a sequel should. The suicide mission felt intense, I loved all the characters in it, and even the bad end where Shep dies at the end still feels fucking heroic as fuck. The only glimmer of light in 3 was Mordin fucking Solus, because someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Reactions: Dei
Man, remember when the reapers were eldritch techno-abominations beyond our understanding?

Fuck you Mass Effect 3.

The only conversation in a game that even comes close to this is the Kohr-Ah in Star Control 2.

ALSO, from the writing in Andromeda, STOP LETTING MAC WALTERS WORK ON THINGS. He's trash.

Man, remember when the reapers were eldritch techno-abominations beyond our understanding?

Fuck you Mass Effect 3.

The only conversation in a game that even comes close to this is the Kohr-Ah in Star Control 2.

ALSO, from the writing in Andromeda, STOP LETTING MAC WALTERS WORK ON THINGS. He's trash.
This was the "oh shit" moment of an already excellent story.

By the way, this is the Kohr-Ah.

If you don't see some reaper influence here, then you cray-cray.

3:40 into the video.[DOUBLEPOST=1490309827,1490309601][/DOUBLEPOST]Star Control 2 is the best game ever made by the way.

And all the voice acting was done by the developers or members of the developers' families. There's no reason it should be so miraculously good from an era of the worst trash voice acting in video games. The early CD-Rom days.

I disliked how Bioware started ignoring their own universe and lore from ME2 onwards. Mass Effect had this amazingly rich background lore, which was logically consistent and (mostly) scientifically sound, and then in ME2 they basically just decided to start messing with things.

Ok, I turned off cloud sync, started again, and got much further this time... and then died again. And then discovered that even with cloudsync off the game still will not save. Hrm...

Also, the hot redhead romance option is a lesbian. The cries of the suckers playing male Shep Ryder shake the internet.

Fem shep was always my go to cause Jennifer Hale is a way better and more engaging VA than...whoever did male shep. To the point of in my head cannon entirely forgetting that male is the default.

Fem shep was always my go to cause Jennifer Hale is a way better and more engaging VA than...whoever did male shep. To the point of in my head cannon entirely forgetting that male is the default.
Mark Meer. Yeah, his voice was a bit generic. David Hayter would have been better.

Actually, Mark Meer can be very expressive. He does a lot of alien voices in the series too. Male Shep being so plain was on the director. I've met the guy at the Fringe in Edmonton when he was working with a friend of mine. He's big in the local theater/improv scene.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't fair of me to entirely pin it on him. It just never resonated with me but it didn't occur to me that much of the performance would have to do with how he was directed.

fade

Staff member
GTA V

Best use of the PS4's capabilities, that's for sure. Especially the controller. Police radio and phone calls come through the controller speaker, and the LEDs on the controller flash blue and red when stars are active.

As for the game itself, it's okay. I'm not sure how it one so many awards. The story is kind of generic so far, and Michael and Franklin are sort of unengaging. Trevor on the other hand is kind of awesome. His parts of the game have been fun (except for landing those damn planes). I hate to sound like a little old lady, but the game could do with less swearing. It kind of loses any impact when every other word is "fuck". As for gameplay, it also feels pretty generic.

How did it win so many awards?

1) the scale of the game is fucking huge, without being filled with empty vistas. It covers a variety of terrain types more or less seamlessly, from scrub desert to alpine to downtown metro.

2) the online portion of the game is spectacular. See the literal hundreds of "Let's Play GTA V" and "Things To Do In GTA V" for examples.

How did it win so many awards?

1) the scale of the game is fucking huge, without being filled with empty vistas. It covers a variety of terrain types more or less seamlessly, from scrub desert to alpine to downtown metro.

2) the online portion of the game is spectacular. See the literal hundreds of "Let's Play GTA V" and "Things To Do In GTA V" for examples.

@fade has expressed in the past that sandbox games just aren't for him, like Skyrim. I'm assuming he prefers a more focused, directed experience rather than emergent gameplay.

fade

Staff member
To be clear, I am enjoying the game. I just don't see it on a higher tier than other things that came out that year. It's fairly bland gameplay. I don't not like sandboxes, I just fail to see why people go nuts over them.

EDIT: That's actually the problem I had with Skyrim, too. It was an interesting world. But it also got repetitive, and the gameplay itself was pretty simplistic.

fade

Staff member
Okay that kind of looks fun, I guess. If I was gaming with friends. With strangers, no. I would be so outclassed with my limited gaming time, I would just be insta-murdered.

TIL "emergent gaming"

So. For reasons I don't understand, I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Rogue - no that's not worded right. What I mean to say is that I'm working on completing Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

I don't see actually doing so, though. I mean, I was at roughly 45% complete after finishing the storyline. More than half the game is just collecting useless shit. :facepalm:

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL "emergent gaming"
TBH, though, I was much more of a fan of the concept of Emergent Gameplay before companies started relying on it to be the entire fucking gaming experience, thus absolving them from creating actual content.

(Not that GTA and Skyrim are particularly bad about this. I'm thinking more along the lines of other sandbox games like Rust, DayZ, Space Engineers, etc)