Weird weather

Dave

Staff member
According to the guys I work with, New York City is a left-wing shithole and deserve anything that happens to them. Also see California wildfires and earthquakes. Please note that when something happens in a red state they say it’s not time for division and we need to help them because they are American citizens.

Well, arctic vortex is here and for the first time in my life, the Alberta government has announced rolling blackouts for tonight, where it will reach -40.

We really are just Canada's Texas.

I love deregulation.

Well, just found out from a friend that they've already been cutting off power to places, mostly smaller poor (read native) communities. lolberta.

Last edited:
I've been working nights lately. Yesterday I woke up late at 8am, it was 72degrees outside. I took my dog out an fed him. Then two hours later he wanted to go back outside.... it was 43degrees outside.

Holy Shit that was quick and I was out there with him in T-shirt and gym shorts....

I am worried about you guys because it is going to hit around 18 this week.

I've been working nights lately. Yesterday I woke up late at 8am, it was 72degrees outside. I took my dog out an fed him. Then two hours later he wanted to go back outside.... it was 43degrees outside.

Holy Shit that was quick and I was out there with him in T-shirt and gym shorts....

its -7°F in MN right now -_-

its -7°F in MN right now -_-
People from around here, East Texas, would absolutely be losing their shit with a temperature like that. This area is very prepared for weeks of 100°F plus temps, but anything under about 30°F just freaking breaks their heads. I’m seeing all kinds of people that are normally even headed about stuff showing all the signs of PTSD from the “Snowpocolypse” of two years ago. Usually snow around here is a dusting or an inch or so that lasts hours, that year we had 6 inches and it was around for days and left a ton of damaged people in its wake. We’re forecast for less than 48 hours straight below freezing, but looking at the grocery shelves around town yesterday you’d think that we were in the path of the worst hurricane ever and been promised they’d be without power or anything for more than a month. It’s just crazy.

I plowed between 8-20in/20-51cm off our sidewalks (plural-we're a corner lot) and driveway (which is 4 cars wide and frequently gets plowed in by the city) yesterday. This morning I got plowed in again as I was getting ready for work and had to fire up the snow thrower real quick when I really should have been leaving for work. Had to fight the wind and the plows (and the people who put off getting new tires) to get to work. Ended up only one minute late BUT nobody else is here yet, soooo guess that means I made it on time...?

--Patrick

People from around here, East Texas, would absolutely be losing their shit with a temperature like that. This area is very prepared for weeks of 100°F plus temps, but anything under about 30°F just freaking breaks their heads. I’m seeing all kinds of people that are normally even headed about stuff showing all the signs of PTSD from the “Snowpocolypse” of two years ago. Usually snow around here is a dusting or an inch or so that lasts hours, that year we had 6 inches and it was around for days and left a ton of damaged people in its wake. We’re forecast for less than 48 hours straight below freezing, but looking at the grocery shelves around town yesterday you’d think that we were in the path of the worst hurricane ever and been promised they’d be without power or anything for more than a month. It’s just crazy.
while it doesn't normally get 100+ here, we get high 90's in the summer with 100% humidity. So I get to live the nastiest of all worlds. I just like to remind that of people that have one extremes or the other but not a 6-month shift from one end of the spectrum to the other. The northern mid-west's real nastiness is not that it is extreme, but it can shift day to day depending on meteorological patterns. and thus we can freeze-thaw-freeze etc and it WRECKS EVERYTHING.

thus we can freeze-thaw-freeze etc and it WRECKS EVERYTHING.
For those who don't live it, Bones is not being hyperbolic here. Everything here has to be built to withstand exposure to temperatures from -40 to 110F (-40 to 43C), to potential weeks of intermittent rain, to snowfall/ice that can add significant weight load per square foot/meter to roofs and other structures, to straight-line winds that can exceed 60-70MPH/90-105kmH, and to humidity that can get stuck anywhere from extra dry to extra sticky. And there's never any guarantee what you're going to get every year, so you can't really depend on any kind of schedule for it all.

Also update on my situation: Looks like they sent out a note to everyone that we're moving back our start until 11a today to deal with the weather. This note went out at 8:48a, or to put that another way, a little over 3/4 into my commute. Guess I'll just sit here...

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Zach's car wouldn't start. We tried to jump it and it would not hold a charge no matter how long we tried to power it. So new battery it is. But it's bracketed in and -14 F outside with a -35 wind chill. AAA isn't going to send anyone out since we're home safe and sound and not in any danger and I don't blame them. Zach is getting a ride to work tomorrow and Kerri will be getting the AAA battery change done. I mean, tomorrow it's a heat wave at 0 degrees.

GasBandit

Staff member
We're sitting pretty here at 28 degrees, which for us Colorado boys is a bracing but somewhat warm winter day.
Our Californian girlfriends however think there might as well be poison gas outside, for all their willingness to pass the front door's threshold.

17 degrees here. Supposed to snow. This feels very familiar after living in VA for a decade. Was out and about running errands. Saw a few flakes.

I vape, so I went to roll my window down and my car pops up a warning on my HUD—" Outside temperature 17 degrees". Look car, I don't need you nagging at me. I got divorced for a reason.

This morning, I woke up to a real feel of -34 degrees F at almost 8 AM.. Current actual temp is -3 degrees and a real feel of -25 degrees.

Get to deal with this through Tuesday and I'm not even in the worst of the cold areas.

GasBandit

Staff member
19 degrees this morning, roads are iced over. Unpleasant even by Colorado standards >_<

It's not going to get above freezing today. Businesses have closed down. I was working from home today anyway, so no big change for me.

Our weather isn't all that extreme, luckily (all of your ancestors are idiots for moving to areas with twisters/hurricanes/100°+ or --40° - temperatures), but it's definitely been weird today.
We had snow, rain, hail, shining sun and up to almost 10°C, then back down to below freezing, all within... Three hours? Tops?

it's not as cold here as other places. Nor as icy, nor as snowy.
But damnit, part of why I moved to Texas was to get away from this bullshit.
At least Virginia has the infrastructure to deal with this crap. I have to wait until it melts on its own.

1705344873115.png

A big rig already overturned on the highway, and we’re starting to see wrecks all around Houston. As soon as the wife and I get back from her dental appointment we’re buttoning up at home.

And my university is moving to online only instruction for the next few days. That suits me. I just hope those campus kittens are okay.

It was too cold for snow to stick to anything so I shoveled the driveway and sidewalks with the pushbroom.

A big rig already overturned on the highway, and we’re starting to see wrecks all around Houston. As soon as the wife and I get back from her dental appointment we’re buttoning up at home.
TxIce.png

...yeah, probably a good idea. TX does not look like the place to be in a vehicle right now.

--Patrick

19 degrees this morning, roads are iced over. Unpleasant even by Colorado standards >_<

It's not going to get above freezing today. Businesses have closed down. I was working from home today anyway, so no big change for me.
19 degrees would be great right now tbh. Sounds downright balmy.
20240115_144107.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
There's... white stuff on the ground all day today out here, but I wouldn't call it snow, also not quite sleet. Basically just a dusting of ice crystals. It didn't rain or snow or even sleet, but it just got cold enough for our ambient humidity to start crystallizing and sinking to the ground. If the clouds were actually in the sky instead of right down here on the ground, it probably WOULD have been sleet or even hail. As it is, it's just... extremely dry, extremely brittle quasi-snow. It doesn't pack, it doesn't build drifts... watching it blow around reminds me more of the sandstorms I used to see back when I lived in El Paso or Albuquerque.

There's... white stuff on the ground all day today out here, but I wouldn't call it snow, also not quite sleet. Basically just a dusting of ice crystals. It didn't rain or snow or even sleet, but it just got cold enough for our ambient humidity to start crystallizing and sinking to the ground. If the clouds were actually in the sky instead of right down here on the ground, it probably WOULD have been sleet or even hail. As it is, it's just... extremely dry, extremely brittle quasi-snow. It doesn't pack, it doesn't build drifts... watching it blow around reminds me more of the sandstorms I used to see back when I lived in El Paso or Albuquerque.
We misted all day yesterday. The pic of the white stuff I posted wasn't snow either. It's pure ice

It was 19 today and I was, in fact, walking around in a sweatshirt like it was a nice fall day. Relative temperature is fun. :D