Export thread

Weird weather

Limit: 500

strawman

strawman

For weather related stuff that probably doesn't deserve its own thread.

From Jeff Masters:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2542

Tropical Storm Karen
The 5 am EDT Friday wind probability forecast from NHC put Karen's best chance of becoming a hurricane as a 23% chance on Sunday at 2 am EDT. This is down from the 41% odds given in Thursday afternoon's forecast. ... We don't have much skill making hurricane intensity forecasts, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Karen do the opposite of what the models predict, and decay to a weak tropical storm just before landfall, due to strong wind shear. In any case, residents of New Orleans should feel confident that their levee system will easily withstand any storm surge Karen may generate, as rapid intensification of Karen to a Category 3 or stronger hurricane has a only a minuscule probability of occurring (1% chance in the latest NHC forecast.)

Most significant fire threat for Southern California in the past 5 years
A Santa Ana wind event is building over Southern California this morning, where wind gusts in excess of 50 mph have already been observed this morning. From the Los Angeles NWS office:

"Most significant fire weather threat across Southern California in past 5 years as strong Santa Ana wind event unfolds. In addition to the strength of winds being projected...the concerns with this event include the widespread nature and long duration of Santa Ana winds...very long period of single digit humidities...and extremely dry fuels approaching record levels. Red flag warnings are in effect for much of Los Angeles and Ventura counties overnight into Sunday. The onset of the offshore winds are expected to begin across the mountains by late evening...then descend into the lower elevations overnight. The peak of this Santa Ana wind event will likely be late tonight through Saturday morning...with the strongest winds focused across Los Angeles and Ventura counties."

A blizzard and a severe weather outbreak in the Midwest
The same low pressure system that is expected to turn Tropical Storm Karen to the northeast this weekend is hammering the Midwest with a variety of extreme weather today. Blizzard warnings are flying in Wyoming, Nebraska, and South Dakota from the storm, and a significant outbreak of severe thunderstorms with a few tornadoes is expected over much of Iowa this afternoon.

Wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt has done some research to see the last time a blizzard, major severe weather outbreak, tropical storm, and extreme fire danger all threatened the U.S. at the same time, and has not been able to find such an event in past history.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is October 4th. It will be 90 degrees today.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

They have Tornado watch for the western 1/4 of Oklahoma today/tonight.

Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 10.37.51 AM.png
:Leyla:

Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 10.40.47 AM.png

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

OP's stuff is significantly weirder than the pain in the ass 40 degrees in the morning, 89 in the afternoon that we're getting in my area, but mine's still weird.

GasBandit

GasBandit

90 as usual in Texas. Though we've been getting lots of rain this week, which is unusual. Nice. But unusual.

Frank

Frank

Fukushima climate ozone hole!

It doesn't matter, as long as it waits until Sunday to snow in this fucking city. Sunday. JUST WAIT ONE MORE DAY.

The rest of the province is getting covered in snow.

ONE MORE FUCKING DAY.

LET THE ROOFERS FINISH MY ROOF.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dear lord this is the hottest October week I have ever dealt with. And I'm in freakin' Jersey!

PatrThom

PatrThom

We're normal+10 over in MI, too. And we have lakes around us to buffer everything.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

The roofers are almost done and it's threatening to rain. HOLD OFF MOTHER FUCKER!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I work emergency calls for an energy company that serves the South Dakota area. This has not been a fun weekend so far.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And we have Tornado warning in Philly, which if you don't know is just a stones throw away from South Jersey. Stupid misleading nice weather.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

90 as usual in Texas. Though we've been getting lots of rain this week, which is unusual. Nice. But unusual.
Since cds doesn't want to we should go shooting one day, gas!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Since cds doesn't want to we should go shooting one day, gas!
I do enjoy a good skeet shoot. I haven't been honest to god hunting since I was a teenager.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I need a shotgun :( I have two pistols that I use and an AR and then I have 2 rifles and a revolver from the early 19th late 18th century from my grandparents but no shotgun

GasBandit

GasBandit

I need a shotgun :( I have two pistols that I use and an AR and then I have 2 rifles and a revolver from the early 19th late 18th century from my grandparents but no shotgun
Then let me recommend to you the Mossberg Maverick 88. I managed to pick one up with an 18 1/2" barrel (shortest you can legally get, also available in 28" suitable for hunting) for just over $120. Despite being so inexpensive, it's an excellent short shotgun suitable for trap shooting and home defense. Uses 12 gauge shells of your choice of load (I can get 7 full size shells in the magazine no problem, +1 in the chamber), and the pump action has never jammed on me even once. Easy to disassemble and clean. The only drawback some people might point out is that the stock and pump handle are plastic ("Polyesthic") and non-interchangable, but it isn't a problem for me.

Eriol

Eriol

The roofers are almost done and it's threatening to rain. HOLD OFF MOTHER FUCKER!
So what happened? Success? Or rain + no roof?

Frank

Frank

Roof shingles replaced successfully and then it rained.

Nature heeded my call like a well trained dog.

Please don't snow yet, I DON'T WANNA SHOVEL.

Maybe that'll work too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Roof shingles replaced successfully and then it rained.

Nature heeded my call like a well trained dog.

Please don't snow yet, I DON'T WANNA SHOVEL.

Maybe that'll work too.
"Sorry Frank. Everybody gets one, and you had yours." - Nature

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This isn't current news, but when I first moved to Toronto years ago, we had something I'd never experienced or even heard of before:

A thunderstorm during a snowstorm. The city was getting heavily with a major snowstorm and that evening, I saw lightning flashes and heard booms of thunder. Never even knew that was a thing before.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A thunderstorm during a snowstorm.
Thundersnow

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I think that kind of weather is pretty much only in the vicinity of the great lakes (in NA anyway).

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I think that kind of weather is pretty much only in the vicinity of the great lakes (in NA anyway).
We've had it here in south-central Wisconsin.

evilmike

evilmike

@Ravenpoe and @Officer_Charon , I hope all your hatches are battened -- it looks like you have that oddball tropical storm to deal with over the next couple of days.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

@Ravenpoe and @Officer_Charon , I hope all your hatches are battened -- it looks like you have that oddball tropical storm to deal with over the next couple of days.

Pfft, as a Floridian I don't even get out of bed for a tropical storm. Call me when it's a hurricane.

evilmike

evilmike

Pfft, as a Floridian I don't even get out of bed for a tropical storm. Call me when it's a hurricane.
Hey, you're center state. I thought you might be a little soft. ;)

Terrik

Terrik

As if I didn't live in Florida too :foreveralone:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

OC lives in Georgia, but that's besides the point. Really, mike was just listing the forumites that matter. :troll:

evilmike

evilmike

I didn't mean to discount you -- I misremembered where you live. I was thinking you were in Cape Coral and well south of the main storm. (Not that this that serious of a storm anyway.)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Tropical Storm? Psh I still work outside in those on the coast of Texas

evilmike

evilmike

@Terrik any problems from the storm?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He lives a bit south of it.

I, on the other hand...

Dave

Dave

It's what you get for putting up with gays.[DOUBLEPOST=1472761870,1472761852][/DOUBLEPOST]Seriously, though, hope you come through it okay.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik sent me pictures of the flooding in his area, and apparently now there are tornado warnings and a watch in effect until 11pm.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I really wish my phone would stop buzzing to alert me to a hurricane warning.

I KNOW! I KNOW! SHUT UP!

Bubble181

Bubble181

In...Unrelated news but the same thread: do we have any Kiwi readers/posters?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And there goes the power. Time to live like a neanderthal for the next few days.

A neanderthal with Internet access

Terrik

Terrik

Been flooding pretty bad. Now that the hurricane is almost over land, the wind is picking up like crazy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

California must be so jealous.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

In...Unrelated news but the same thread: do we have any Kiwi readers/posters?
My sister in law lives there, but they slept through the earthquake. Glad there wasn't a tsunami, they would have been in the path, living right on the cost.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Power company says it will be 2-3 days before power is restored :(

evilmike

evilmike

@Officer_Charon , all ready for the storm?

fade

fade

And General Specific, too. I don't remember if there are any other SC peeps here, but they've already either reversed (or about to reverse) I-26 in preparation for evacuation.

evilmike

evilmike

And General Specific, too. I don't remember if there are any other SC peeps here, but they've already either reversed (or about to reverse) I-26 in preparation for evacuation.
Good point.

At least @General Specific is near Columbia which hopefully won't see the full effect of the storm. Can't think of anyone else who might be in the crosshairs. Neither @Terrik or @Ravenpoe are really close to the projected track.

FYI, just heard from someone who lives in Charleston -- it looks like they are reversing the interstate at 3pm.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I got to drive against a reverse-flow highway once. I only had the white stripe of the shoulder to keep me from getting a head on accident. It also got dicey when I had to dodge mailboxes next to oncoming traffic.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@Officer_Charon , all ready for the storm?

In all seriousness, my wife and kids (and both guinea pigs) evaced this morning, so now I can do my job without stressing about them being here, caught up in stuff. My house is not far from a creek, but on a rise, so I SHOULD be fine.

I'm much more concerned with tree limbs finding their way through my roof. We'll see how THAT goes.

General Specific

General Specific

Yeah, I am in Columbia, SC. Forecast here is for about 2 inches of rain, so shouldn't be much worry for us. We have friends in Charleston who have already evacuated up to relatives, which is good because at last check that area is due to get about 11 inches.

And yes, they reversed the flow of the interstates around 3pm today.

TNM

TNM

We've got family that lives in Charleston that has evacuated further inland here in Ga. We might see some clouds but nothing special here.

Everyone that hasn't left stay safe.

evilmike

evilmike

They haven't reversed any of the interstates here, but they did suspend toll collection on most of the toll roads and the turnpike. Mandatory evacuations for the barrier islands and just about everything is going to be shut down tomorrow and Friday.

Terrik

Terrik

Matthew isnt screwing around apparently. Infrared satellite picture.

matthew.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Matthew isnt screwing around apparently. Infrared satellite picture.

View attachment 22213
...I'm not the only one who saw a scary, grinning clown, right? :hide:

Emrys

Emrys

Left-side profile, showing three teeth in the grin?

Nope, I see it too. :hide:

fade

fade

A lot of people are calling it a skull. I thought that's what Terrik was talking about.

Dave

Dave

According to Rush Limbaugh, hurricanes are a left-wing conspiracy to push global climate change.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

According to Rush Limbaugh, hurricanes are a left-wing conspiracy to push global climate change.
It's not just him, some fringe view. This is a mainstream Republican plank of their party platform.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A week ago the day time high hit 75. It was 75 this morning when I got to work at 8am.

evilmike

evilmike

Just tried to get a "calm before the storm" picture. Unfortunately, the wind has picked up just enough and there was just enough cloud cover to make the water dark and choppy. (Not that I'm complaining -- it's better than the alternative!)

calm before storm 2016-10-06-01.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

A lot of people are calling it a skull. I thought that's what Terrik was talking about.

Gared

Gared

I'm really hoping that one of the little tidbits that the "Weather*" Channel showed was a typo. They had an infographic showing that NC was expecting 12 feet of rain from Matthew.

*Don't get me wrong, I like Highway Thru Hell and Why Planes Crash as much as the next guy, but some actual quality weather coverage would be nice too.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm really hoping that one of the little tidbits that the "Weather*" Channel showed was a typo. They had an infographic showing that NC was expecting 12 feet of rain from Matthew.

*Don't get me wrong, I like Highway Thru Hell and Why Planes Crash as much as the next guy, but some actual quality weather coverage would be nice too.

Only old people watch the weather channel, everyone else has the internet.

evilmike

evilmike

Here's the rain map from the National Hurricane Center:

evilmike

evilmike

A little good news. The eye of the storm is running east of the most recent tracking predictions. (http://wxug.us/224r0) Hopefully that will keep it further off-shore and keep the winds down to category 2 strength on-shore. I'm hoping after the 5pm update, my predicted winds for tonight will drop back to 100mph.

GasBandit

GasBandit

(I couldn't help it)

evilmike

evilmike

(I couldn't help it)
Actually, it's more appropriate to suggest that you could go fly a barn door tonight.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Sounds like NASA is facing some serious damage from the storm: http://gizmodo.com/hurricane-matthew-is-a-nightmare-scenario-for-kennedy-s-1787471900

Shakey

Shakey

Snow tonight!

Emrys

Emrys

Snow tonight!
I've got 14+ inches on my lawn. You can have it.

fade

fade

Ha. It was 90 here today. That is so weird to hear.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Right now, Miami is all

PatrThom

PatrThom

Right now, Miami is all

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

The wind has picked up a bit. It's not tropical storm force yet but it was enough to kill the power. I'm going to try to get some sleep before the wind really starts banging. I'll update when I can.

Jay

Jay

The nicest Indian summer in Montreal since I've been alive.
Tomorrow it's October 7th and we're getting a high of 26 degrees Celsius.
Average is 12.

Past week has been really nice but this shit worries me greatly.

bhamv3

bhamv3

My brother in law is named Matthew. So hearing people saying "Matthew has killed hundreds in Haiti" and "Matthew is expected to tear up the east coast" is really weird to me.

evilmike

evilmike

The storm is due east of here right now. It looks like the worst of it stayed off shore. Hopefully this will be good news for the space center too. (It's going to get clipped by the outer eyewall so there's certainly still a concern.)

General Specific

General Specific

Columbia, SC is just now seeing the very leading edge of the rain. Looks like a normal rainy day out right now. Worst is set to come through tonight and tomorrow morning.

Current forecast for us here is somewhere between 2 and 6 inches of rain. Still not really worried about this area, just hopeful that friend's homes along the coast will be ok.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

HERE WE GO, BITCHES.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My niece lives in Florida. So far she's doing fine, thank goodness.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My brother in law is named Matthew. So hearing people saying "Matthew has killed hundreds in Haiti" and "Matthew is expected to tear up the east coast" is really weird to me.
My name -IS- Matthew, so I just nod my head knowingly.

evilmike

evilmike

No power but everything else is otherwise OK. I got out a bit today -- looks like category 1 damage, which counts as a win considering how dire the predictions were.

Terrik

Terrik

I WILL REBUILD

8723022202691424286-account_id=1.jpg

On a serious note however, my friend (who is in Korea) but whose mother (and his childhood home) is in Edgewater, FL, on the east coast, had a massive tree fall on their house and destroyed his old room as well as the living room. His family and pets weren't hurt, but that was no small amount of damage :(

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I just keep wanting to call the storm a spaz.

General Specific

General Specific

Woke up about 6am to the wind howling and the power out. Power came back on in a few minutes, so I went back to sleep. Woke back up again a little bit ago and power is out again, but the wind has died off. Doesn't appear to be any damage here, thankfully.

Edit: power restored as of 11:30 am

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

My neighborhood is FUCKED up... LOT of trees and lines down. There's several nearby areas that are the same way. The major commercial areas and routes are fairly well-off, which SHOULD facilitate power and tree crews moving around, but I haven't seen any in my area.

Gonna be a long road.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gonna be a long road.
Gettin' from there to here.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

The nicest Indian summer in Montreal since I've been alive.
Tomorrow it's October 7th and we're getting a high of 26 degrees Celsius.
Average is 12.

Past week has been really nice but this shit worries me greatly.
It's snowing here.

Which before Halloween is still a little unusual, not unheard of, but unusual.

evilmike

evilmike

My neighborhood is FUCKED up... LOT of trees and lines down. There's several nearby areas that are the same way. The major commercial areas and routes are fairly well-off, which SHOULD facilitate power and tree crews moving around, but I haven't seen any in my area.

Gonna be a long road.
I'm glad you made it through the storm. I hope the clean up is manageable and you aren't stuck without power for an extended length of time.
Snow tonight!
I've got 14+ inches on my lawn. You can have it.
It's snowing here.

You all can flaunt your snow as much as you want, *I'm* just happy to have air conditioning again!

According to NASA, after an initial aerial survey on Saturday, officials determined the center received some isolated roof damage, some downed power lines, and limited water intrusion. Further inspections will take place on Sunday, before officials clear buildings to reopen.

A SpaceX official told Ars, “Hurricane Matthew caused some damage to the exterior of SpaceX's payload processing facility at Space Launch Complex-40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The company has a ready and fully capable back-up for processing payloads at its SLC-40 hangar annex building. There was no damage the company’s facilities at Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center.”

United Launch Alliance chief executive Tory Bruno said on Twitter that its facilities saw only "light to moderate" damage and that flight assets had sustained no damage.​

Jay

Jay

It's snowing here.

You can keep that shit.

Dei

Dei

We usually get snow of some kind before Halloween but it doesn't sick around. Mountains have been getting snow though. :D

Eriol

Eriol

And Matthew's remnants are hitting us right now: Government warns N.L. communities to prepare for flooding, power outages
Rainfall amounts are expected to range from 100 to 200 millimetres. Environment Canada advised extreme rainfall rates of 20 millimetres an hour or more are possible.
For you 'mericans, that's about an inch of rain an hour.

It's bad yes, but not much worse (if at all) than anything else we've seen here. We get LOTS of wind/rain here in the winter. This is early for it though.

Good luck to all facing flooding. That's not us. Parts of the town MIGHT happen (not forecast though), but even at its worst it doesn't really happen. Most of the town is on the hills, and thus you'd need biblical-level stuff to flood the vast majority. People observed where the water came, and built elsewhere here!

evilmike

evilmike

General Specific

General Specific

We usually get snow of some kind before Halloween but it doesn't sick around. Mountains have been getting snow though. :D
We rarely get any snow at all during the year and if we do, it usually doesn't stick around.

Which leads to stuff like:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

There is a LEGION of power and tree folks moving through the county and city in sections. They'll come, work for hours, busting their asses and clearing up areas, then move on to the next ones. The response to Savannah/Chatham County has been PHENOMENAL, and despite occasional issues, looting has not bee NEARLY has bad as I feared it'd be.

PatrThom

PatrThom

People are shockingly helpful and supportive when they all have a common cause.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes hello Florida can you keep your fucking weather to yourself please thanks

1013161802.jpg

It's a little out of focus, but it's coming down in sheets (see left of the pillar, that's a sheet of rain moving) and submerging the raised sidewalk.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes hello Florida can you keep your fucking weather to yourself please thanks
Last night I drove back from the eastern side of the state, I had to go around a car that had slid off the road in the rain, and bypass another crash entirely (Thanks, GPS app!).
Honestly, folks. This is just rain! What're you going to do when the snow gets here?

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

Honestly, folks. This is just rain! What're you going to do when the snow gets here?

--Patrick
When in danger
Or in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think it sprinkled a bit here early-morning, but most days have been a murky 80-90 degrees. Nights have been nice a cool, though.

Summer is overstaying its welcome and I would very much like it to feel like fall now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think it sprinkled a bit here early-morning, but most days have been a murky 80-90 degrees. Nights have been nice a cool, though.

Summer is overstaying its welcome and I would very much like it to feel like fall now.
After a pleasant spell with highs in the mid 80s for 10 days or so, it's been highs in the low 90s for about a week here... and will continue to be so until this Thursday, when we get slammed by a cold front and the highs drop into the 70s. That'll be freakin' heaven.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Just last week we had frost overnight and lows of like 32... Today we're a high of 76 and like 85% humidity....

fade

fade

After a pleasant spell with highs in the mid 80s for 10 days or so, it's been highs in the low 90s for about a week here... and will continue to be so until this Thursday, when we get slammed by a cold front and the highs drop into the 70s. That'll be freakin' heaven.
Yeah, for like 2 days according to the ten-day. Then right back up to heat. At least here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, for like 2 days according to the ten-day. Then right back up to heat. At least here.
What a difference a two-hour Drive makes. It only gets back up into the low eighties for us.

evilmike

evilmike

South Texas Halformites, are you ready for hurricane Harvey?

PatrThom

PatrThom

South Texas Halformites, are you ready for hurricane Harvey?
Hey now don't forget about our Taiwanese contingent. They got battered this week, too.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Fair enough. After all, @bhamv3 is probably the Halformite who is most likely to get hit by a cyclonic storm. I'm concerned for him too. It's just that my news filters are keyed to hurricanes and he gets hit by typhoons so they don't show up in my news feed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I will be driving home right into the upper edge of Harvey. Probably will suck.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Fair enough. After all, @bhamv3 is probably the Halformite who is most likely to get hit by a cyclonic storm. I'm concerned for him too. It's just that my news filters are keyed to hurricanes and he gets hit by typhoons so they don't show up in my news feed.
We're fine. The typhoon took one look at us, sort of gave us a half-hearted swipe, and then decided to go fight Hong Kong instead.

fade

fade

Starting to rain here. Houston is being spared the main force, but Harvey is supposed to linger here for nearly a week. It will drop about 3ft of rain in that time. So winds probably will be manageable in H-Town, but the flooding will be a problem. We'll see if any of those millions of dollars they spent improving drainage after the Tax Day 2016 floods.

Eriol

Eriol

The company I work for has a sales office in Houston, and this came through our company email. Names redacted to protect the guilty:
I just spoke with **REDACTED** and he has “flood-zoned” his house and is getting ready to hit the high ground:

“For those interested, the Houston office is being temporarily relocated to the Hill Country just north of San Antonio. It will be accompanied by two kids and two dogs. **REDACTED** has to work today and won't be done until 7 so she will drive over afterward. We can't take a chance of getting caught in evacuation traffic or we would wait for her.

Note that Spring, where we live, isn't under evacuation order and it’s in a no flood zone, however, the forecast below isn't encouraging. Harvey is supposed to sit on top of this general area from Saturday afternoon until Tuesday or Thursday, depending on who you speak. “

* Rainfall from Harvey will cause devastating and life threatening flooding as a prolonged heavy rain and flash flood threat is expected to occur. Rainfall rates of 4 inches per hour or more will lead to flash flooding as rain squalls from Harvey become more numerous this morning along the coast and then spread inland tonight and over the weekend. Periods of heavy rainfall are expected from Harvey through at least Monday morning, and rainfall totals of 15 to 25 inches and isolated amounts up to 35inches are anticipated.
So ya Gas, we apparently have an employee somewhat near you!

GasBandit

GasBandit

So ya Gas, we apparently have an employee somewhat near you!
Spring is where Dave, Fade, Pez, Sixpack and I all met at that cajun restaurant. It's closer to Fade and Pez than Sixpack and I, it's about 80 miles from me, but yeah, we're all gonna take a bath. Here's hoping the vaunted drainage changes Fade was talking about are actually extant. As for me, I live on (what the locals count to be) a big hill with decent drainage, so I'm more worried about road conditions on Highway 6 as I drive home Sunday.

Dave

Dave

Now my sister, she's in Spring. I sent her a message but haven't heard anything back yet.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I predict about 10"s where I live. I am on the northern border of the storm area. The problem is the road out of my neighborhood floods at 5"s of rain. My house is safe, but might go some time without power or safe water.

So I did what anyone would do in my situation, I bought a half gallon of whiskey and a 12 pack of beer.

Dei

Dei

My husband's grandparents live in a trailer park San Benito, which is right next to Harlingen, which appears to be getting hit by the south side of the hurricane. I think I'm more concerned than he is, I don't know if that's good or bad.

figmentPez

figmentPez

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

fade

fade

It's up to category 4 now. Funny enough it hasn't rained in hours at my house, though.

strawman

strawman

Eesh, cat 4?

I'm sorry man, I hope your place makes it through ok.

Dave

Dave

Lots of Texas Halforumites. Stay safe, you crazy kids!

drifter

drifter

Eesh, cat 4?

I'm sorry man, I hope your place makes it through ok.

I thought that was a networking burn until I realized what thread I was in.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Fucking Harvey. They said the flooding from it is supposed to be worse than last years flood, they think it will be the worse we've ever seen in this area

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

In Lake Jackson, tx if anyone is interested

strawman

strawman

The models are breaking, this storm has no good precedent. There's a good chance it will stall just inland and pick up moisture from the ocean then drop it on the land leading to rainfalls over five days measured in feet.

I hope people are evacuated.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/m...bears-down-texas-catastrophic-flooding-likely

General Specific

General Specific

My brother in Houston has reported in on Facebook as safe.

fade

fade

Right now, it isn't bad. The problem is that Harvey is in a pincer between two high pressure areas. So it's going to stall here, possibly even moving back over water and restrengthening.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

We just have showers here in Bryan. A&M is still planning for classes to start on Monday. Sam Houston's Woodlands campus closed early today but main campus is also expecting classes to be in session on Monday.

Even so, I went to HEB to top off my food and water supplies. It started to get a little crazy when I checked out.

fade

fade

The "European model" has BCS getting more rain than Houston just FYI. At least as of last night.

Bubble181

Bubble181

But remember folks, climate change is a hoax and not a problem at all.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just started to rain in Huntsville. The feeder band looks like it is lined up to give MANY hours of thunderstorms that show up as red on the radar.[DOUBLEPOST=1503753527,1503752959][/DOUBLEPOST]

GasBandit

GasBandit

That picture was from Ike, and was explained that nailing the plywood to the outside would cause more $ in damage to the frame than it would cost to replace the glass :p

fade

fade

It has been mild here. Heavy rain overnight, but the sun was even put a few minutes ago.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm a little more north of Houston than the others, we've seen a few minutes of rain so far. People in the stores are acting like its the end of the world. I had to go to the gas station twice yesterday, first for the rental car we used on vacay (2017 Ford Fusion, averaged 40.8mpg for the whole 2000 mile trip), and second time for our personal car. Saw two different people that tried to "cut" in line by trying to back into a pump that was opening (car behind on both kept them from doing that) one guy got all pissy that he couldn't do what he wanted and sped off gesturing and apparently cussing as everyone else. Guess he didn't need gas that much then. Grocery stores are nuts with people trying to stock up for what will probably be less violent than a spring thunderstorm.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I should add that Loupot's has been closed for years. It's practically a shell.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

NOAA has changed the forecast path for TS Harvey, it's no longer expected to move back out to the Gulf, but will linger along it's present location possibly into Thursday.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I thought that was a networking burn until I realized what thread I was in.
Nice. But to get the prized YDTTA rating you gotta pretend you didn't realize what thread you were in.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well as of 1am the road to my house is open.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well as of 1am the road to my house is open.
I need to quit going out into inclement weather and drinking all night.

Saw the most Canadian thing I could think of on the Houston news this morning. A French Canadian priest cruising around town on a kayak. The on-the-spot reporter interviewed him. He was trying to get to his church for mass, but could not reach it in time. So he tried to buy wine to celebrate mass with the many people stranded on the free-way (Loop 610), but you can't buy alcohol before noon. He even made a joke about his forefathers converting the native Americans by canoe.

I am shocked that the worker at the convenience store just did not give him a bottle. So he said he would come back in 4 hours to buy the wine.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Face the Nation is saying Houston is basically underwater. Hope you guy's are ok down there. I35 and hwy 6 seem to be open, so I'm gonna try for home... A paltry 3 hour drive normally, but now with a heavy rain twist that will slow me down and keep me on edge.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Stay safe out there, people.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I drove over this bridge last night, when I left a viewing party for the prize fight. So I am guessing my road is flooded too.

[DOUBLEPOST=1503849836,1503849791][/DOUBLEPOST]

Damn, I used to live and work in that area.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Reminds me of the 2014 Detroit-area flooding.

Wonder whose turn it will be next year?

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Reminds me of the 2014 Detroit-area flooding.

Wonder whose turn it will be next year?

--Patrick
Well, I'm sure Houston will bounce back rather than spiral into a necropolis.

fade

fade

Now it's once again supposed to loop back over the gulf before restrengthening and hitting Houston head on. In response, our school is closed for the week.[DOUBLEPOST=1503860355,1503860135][/DOUBLEPOST]This is the bayou near my house (~5 min walk). Normally, the bayou is well within steep, channelized banks beyond the far treeline. What's in front of me is a deep grassy bowl. I would have to reach up from the ground to touch the bottom branches of the trees you see.

20170827_104015.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1503860468][/DOUBLEPOST]I put an interactive panorama on Facebook if you're friends with me there

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, I'm sure Houston will bounce back rather than spiral into a necropolis.
Hah! Joke's on you, Detroit was already spiraling prior to the flooding.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm still high and dry, but not far from me...

SO MUCH FLOOD!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Hah! Joke's on you, Detroit was already spiraling prior to the flooding.

--Patrick
Sure, but it's kinda looking like tbe next Robocop remake is gonna be set in Chicago.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just announced, US Highway 59 is closed at Goodrich, TX heading south toward Houston. That's about 50 miles north of the Houston metro area (Humble to be specific), that's how far these floods are affecting people.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I stole this from my brother who...

(Stole this from a friend)
For my non-Houston friends- to help you understand the devastation:
Houston is huge. The greater metropolitan area is circled by the Grand Parkway - which is 170 miles long. That makes the area of the circle inside the Grand Parkway over 2200 sq. miles.
2200 square miles of densely habited, urban and suburban, areas with over 7 million residents is flooded.
Imagine if the entire state of Delaware, with twice the population of Manhattan, was under water.
That's Houston.
It's still raining.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I stole this from my brother who...

(Stole this from a friend)
For my non-Houston friends- to help you understand the devastation:
Houston is huge. The greater metropolitan area is circled by the Grand Parkway - which is 170 miles long. That makes the area of the circle inside the Grand Parkway over 2200 sq. miles.
2200 square miles of densely habited, urban and suburban, areas with over 7 million residents is flooded.
Imagine if the entire state of Delaware, with twice the population of Manhattan, was under water.
That's Houston.
It's still raining.
Stealing to signal boost.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Good news, the Cajun Navy is coming to Houston.

[DOUBLEPOST=1503871711,1503871443][/DOUBLEPOST]Other good news, what was once considered the largest tree in the world is still standing after taking a direct hit from the hurricane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tree,_Rockport

fade

fade

The overpass at Sam Houston Parkway and Boheme collapsed.[DOUBLEPOST=1503873857,1503873806][/DOUBLEPOST]Latest models are showing it may restrengthen to cat 1 before hitting Houston head on.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just outside my brother's neighborhood. That is an overpass under water.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

So all of my county pretty much except my city is under a mandatory evacuate. We aren't because we are protected by levees

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Well everyone south of hwy6 and west of hwy288

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

And of course it's essential that I come to work and sit down playing in my phone for 12 hours a night because I got voluntold for hurricane duty even though there is no work at all to do (railroad) because the plant is basically shut down

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

They have been evacuated. But that is just heart breaking.

edit: and the lady doing her knitting, don't give a fuck. I like Texas.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My personal tragedy, I can't watch Game of Thrones due to the satellite signal is too weak.

Oh, and the water has been out for 3 hours.[DOUBLEPOST=1503883018,1503882811][/DOUBLEPOST]GoT is streaming on HBOgo. Just like my driveway.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They have been evacuated. But that is just heart breaking.
This is more what I would expect of Britain, not the US.
I guess Texas has a stiffer upper lip than most.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Remember all the homeless in this storm. If it is wet and dangerous out, bring them in.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

General Specific

General Specific

Posting to let everyone know that my brother & his family are remarkably well off so far. They had to hunker down in a closet during tornado warnings last night and did lose power for a while, but it has been restored and they have not yet had any water in their house. Closest it has come is the street they live on had an inch or two of water at one point today. They are a bit south of Houston in Rosharon, TX.

Several of their friends are not as lucky, a few have lost their homes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Looks like I am stuck in my house. The only road out of the subdivision is flooded/closed.[DOUBLEPOST=1503889912,1503889611][/DOUBLEPOST]I got a wicked bad case of cabin fever. Thank God I went to a friend's house last night, or I'd be completely nuts right now.

Emrys

Emrys

Fortunately, you have us to annoy entertain you.

figmentPez

figmentPez

fade

fade

Guys it's getting pretty wet here. The culverts are saturated and the streets around us are flooding.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Might want to put together a bug-out bag, just in case.
Maybe make some backups of any critical files, that sort of thing.
...you know, while there's still time.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Street is up to my knees.

20170827_224943.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1503892517,1503892486][/DOUBLEPOST]Also you're welcome for the photo of my junk.

Emrys

Emrys

Yowza!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's the palest white junk I ever seen...

Bubble181

Bubble181

That's the palest white junk I ever seen...
Is this an invitation to a white-junk-off-party? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'd win that competition.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is this an invitation to a white-junk-off-party? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'd win that competition.
The string looks like junk...

strawman

strawman

HOw many people are still inside the (probably expanding) evacuation zone? Are there any mandatory evacuation zones yet?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

HOw many people are still inside the (probably expanding) evacuation zone? Are there any mandatory evacuation zones yet?
There are only a few mandatory areas. But there is very little high ground to run to.

fade

fade

That water subsided fairly quickly. We were fine within a couple of hours. The neighbors' teens kayaked down the street.

When it was high, I saw a beach ball floating down the street. I held out my hand and it came right over to my open hand. Creepy. I was looking around for Pennywise.

"They all float down gargle gargle blub blub."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The bridge out of my neighborhood. It is normally 20 feet over the creek.

The road just past the bridge. There is a pickup truck in that shot. I still don't see it.

My back yard... lake. This is the first time that it has topped the dam in the last 10 years.

X

GasBandit

GasBandit

Around my home/work, the rain has been coming and going. The drainage is largely doing its job, and we're not inordinately inconvenienced.

Eriol

Eriol

Apparently there was some genius in the Houston area who waited until Sunday to cancel a work meeting with my boss for Tuesday afternoon. He was "scheduled" to fly down today... originally. My boss's attitude was unimpressed, but it's a big contract (that we don't have yet) so he can't express TOO much "YOU IDIOT!" sentiments despite whatever cancellation fees I'm sure the company is enduring as a result.

strawman

strawman

I just read that they chose not to issue evacuation for Houston due to experiences with evacuation for Rita years ago, where the freeways were so clogged people died while on the road trying to evacuate.

There's no good plan to evacuate 2 million people.

So they chose this time to focus on emergency crews and recovery rather than evacuation.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Keep us posted folks - let us know if y'all need help.

fade

fade

West Houston folks: memorial and gessner intersection is gone. As in washed out. There is no asphalt.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cut and Shoot, TX (yes, that's the name of the town) just east of Conroe (which is the next town north of Spring/The Woodlands):

HA HA DISREGARD THAT I CLUCK SOCKS

The person who POSTED it lives in Cut and Shoot, this is North Houston, south of Spring, near GB International Airport

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Cut and Shoot, TX (yes, that's the name of the town) just east of Conroe (which is the next town north of Spring/The Woodlands):

That's not where that intersection is at, that Greenspoint District is around the intersection of Beltway 8 and I-45 North. Houston Fire Department actually called off answering emergency calls from the area yesterday because of gang violence (shooting at responders specifically).

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's not where that intersection is at, that Greenspoint District is around the intersection of Beltway 8 and I-45 North. Houston Fire Department actually called off answering emergency calls from the area yesterday because of gang violence (shooting at responders specifically).
Yeah, I realized that once I actually read the sign, and edited my post accordingly.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Yeah, I realized that once I actually read the sign, and edited my post accordingly.
Well I see that now... did it while I was typing obviously. Dang ninjas. :ninja:

Terrik

Terrik

HA HA DISREGARD THAT I CLUCK SOCKS

The person who POSTED it lives in Cut and Shoot, this is North Houston, south of Spring, near GB International Airport

I didn't know you had your own international airport.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I didn't know you had your own international airport.
I'm kind of a big deal.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

How Fire Ants survive floods:

They build a fucking raft out of their own god damn selves.

PatrThom

PatrThom

How Fire Ants survive floods:

They build a fucking raft out of their own god damn selves.
Must be nice, being so hydrophobic.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Life in Texas:

"Basement?" What "basement?"

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sheesh, just post the video already.

--Patrick

fade

fade

I have to admit. Whenever a disaster approaches, I secretly cheer for it. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but it's thrilling. I know I'm not alone, but just throwing that out there.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

My dad finally evacuated. They had to go get him in a boat. He's staying st my house tonight then is getting a hotel I think even though he doesn't have to. When he left water was coming under his door. He left the power on hoping his house will burn down so it'll be covered on insurance.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Posting to let everyone know that my brother & his family are remarkably well off so far. They had to hunker down in a closet during tornado warnings last night and did lose power for a while, but it has been restored and they have not yet had any water in their house. Closest it has come is the street they live on had an inch or two of water at one point today. They are a bit south of Houston in Rosharon, TX.

Several of their friends are not as lucky, a few have lost their homes.
If they do need a place to stay I'm in Lake Jackson (10 minutes away) . I'll pm you my phone number and they can contact me

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Also if anyone in the Houston are needs a place to go and can get to lake Jackson feel free to hit me up. I might not be around a lot but I just pmed Gen specific my phone number just as him for it

General Specific

General Specific

My brother and his family are safe. It has been a long night for them, but they have been sending constant updates on Facebook. At last report, water was halfway up their driveway in the front and not yet to their fence in the back with the rain appearing to be subsiding finally. So they are fine, just stuck where they are for now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The bad news is the parking lot at my apartment complex is starting to flood.

The good news:
- I don't have a car to worry about, and I'm on the third floor.
- My parents, sisters, and brother-in-law are all fine. They're on higher ground than I am.
- The San Jacinto River near here is expected to crest sometime Tue or Wed, below it's 1994 record.

So, I guess at this point I can mark myself safe, but itchy.*

*Crazy ants have taken up residence somewhere below me. They've made small forays into my bedroom, but the storm has caused their activity to increase in my apartment. They like to crawl up my leg while I'm at my computer desk.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was able to capture enough rain water for 2-3 more flushes.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I was able to capture enough rain water for 2-3 more flushes.
Minor victories are the best.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're actually drying out in B/CS, so hopefully that makes it down to you guys soon.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Sam Houston State is closed through Labor Day. Parts of the 30 between Huntsville and BCS are underwater.

fade

fade

We're actually drying out in B/CS, so hopefully that makes it down to you guys soon.
It's still raining in west Houston, but it's light.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is still raining here. But the creek and lake are back in their banks. Also my water is back on.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The first floor apartments in my building are flooded, and those people are being evacuated. People on the second and third floor are being told it's okay to shelter in place. I'll stay here. I've got water, power, and internet for the time being.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pics from my balcony:

2017-08-29 15.46.08.jpg

2017-08-29 15.46.02.jpg

Those garage doors are 4 panels high, and I think it's stopped rising. Weather dot com says "San Jacinto West Fork near Humble: Already topped previous record from Oct. 18, 1994; will fall slowly into the weekend"

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, Led Zeppelin was right. If it keeps on raining, the levee is going to break.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Only that one specific levee has been breached. and it's just to one very specific rich neighborhood, all the other ones in BCounty are good

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, Led Zeppelin was right. If it keeps on raining, the levee is going to break.
Don McLean lied to us!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Some more pictures of the last couple days

fade

fade

Volunteered on some of the water rescues this morning. Most of that seemed to carrying cats for old ladies. My wife used her car to shuttle people from the rescue point to the shelter. We went until FEMA showed up and kicked out most of the volunteers.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Irony.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Apparently he can stand (on) the weather.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

A friend's father is in Barrington. Well, he was there until he had to be rescued yesterday morning. The water in the house was about 3 feet deep from the one picture I saw. It's heart-breaking.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The flooding in my apartment complex has receded, huzzah!

I am without power at the moment, but I hope to have it back before too long.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I took a shower for the first time in 3 days. I feel like a new man.

...and if you ever felt a new man, you'd know how I feel.

But I had to go to work though.

strawman

strawman

I took a shower for the first time in 3 days...But I had to go to work
If this wasn't worth it, then congratulations! You have the skills necessary to become a hobo!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If this wasn't worth it, then congratulations! You have the skills necessary to become a hobo!
Actually I have thought about packing my 'stuff' into a bag and taking off. I do have the skills.

Eriol

Eriol

Guy from my work got back to his house. Apparently the water was up to the seals, but didn't actually go into his house. Lucky.

Here's a photo of his back yard pool:
20170830_070448.jpg

Apparently it flooded over the pool but not the hot tub? I can't see any other explanation for the water colors there.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Or the parent of multiple kids while working 60+ hrs a week!

fade

fade

We are not out of the woods yet here. It's sunny, but the bayou is still rising. Our street is deep and still getting deeper. This is primarily due to pressure releases from the reservoirs and natural drainage cresting. Huge military planes and helicopters are overhead. It's like a zombie apocalypse movie

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whitecaps on I-10.

strawman

strawman

:eek:

Gared

Gared

Whitecaps on I-10.
That was the photo that broke my brain for this storm/event. I've seen massive floods, horrific storm surge damage, and photos and videos of Joplin, so wind damage isn't exactly new to me; but I have never in my life seen choppy floodwaters, or orders for rescue boats to pull back to calmer waters and ride it out.

fade

fade

I have been marking a stick. The street got a bit deeper in the morning but now it has stabilized. Hasn't gone down, but not up either.

20170830_120533.jpg

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whitecaps on I-10.

That's LAKE I-10 to you.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Whitecaps on I-10.

Wow, that is both terrible and amazing.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Eriol

Eriol

I'll give them small props for this:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'll give them small props for this:
"Oops, we accidentally labeled our cans truthfully. Now what can we do with them?"

fade

fade

"Oops, we accidentally labeled our cans truthfully. Now what can we do with them?"
They're not labelled correctly. They say "drinking water". No one should drink that.

Bubble181

Bubble181

They're not labelled correctly. They say "drinking water". No one should drink that.
Well, I assume it's the water they make the horses drink to produce Budweiser.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Just talked to Pez and wanted to let you guys know he's still doing okay. No internet, but he's alright. :D

Dave

Dave

Thanks, Kags. I was starting to worry about him.

This fucking storm, man.

Eriol

Eriol

This fucking storm, man.
Round 2, despair? Irma's coming.

In all fairness to not PROMOTE panic, it's so far out they have NO idea where it'll end up yet. Could be southern mexico, could just go up the atlantic coast (relatively) harmlessly. Way too early to call.

Edit: A Better Article: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/u...-irma-cooking-in-the-atlantic-this-week/85617

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

This fucking storm, man.
It's fucking wild!

He sent me pics of his complex and it's like..under water - the bottom floor. But yeah!

fade

fade

Also proto-Jose seems to be heading right this way. Even if it doesn't develop into a tropical storm, it will still bring rain.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My internet is back. Things are still fine here. Just frustrating.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My internet is back. Things are still fine here. Just frustrating.
When my internet is down, I itch like a junkie...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gallery Furniture will SAVE! YOU! MONEY! SAVE! YOUR! ASS-IN-A-FLOOD! (little jump, raised fist)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Texans help out the national guard

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Does anyone know a good relief thing to donate to? I normally donate to Red Cross in these situations, but I've seen word about them mishandling funds in recent years.

fade

fade

Houston food bank is a good start.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

youcaring.com/jjwatt

GasBandit

GasBandit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is there a charity that buys flatbed trailers of drywall and drops it off in neighborhoods?

Dave

Dave

If you weren't from that area it would just be mean.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

Propeller marks on the roof of a minivan...

strawman

strawman

I really think swamp boats are the way to go for floods, followed closely by jetskis.[DOUBLEPOST=1504284421,1504284386][/DOUBLEPOST]/stienman says with absolutely no experience in such matters.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I really think swamp boats are the way to go for floods, followed closely by jetskis.[DOUBLEPOST=1504284421,1504284386][/DOUBLEPOST]/stienman says with absolutely no experience in such matters.
Nah, for floods the way to go is definitely a gopher wood ark 300 cubits in length, 50 in width, and 30 in height, with three internal divisions, a door on the side, and a roof.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

The remnants of Harvey started hitting me last night - it's been raining since 7 PM Central time last night. Wind gusts took down a tree just down the road at 4:30 AM and took my power down until a little while ago. We've gotten over 4 inches of rain (my rain gauge only went to 4 inches, so I dumped it out this morning).

fade

fade

Well.

My neighborhood is now under mandatory evacuation if you have water in your house. The mayor says that the reservoir releases have to continue, and they don't expect the water levels to go down over the next 7-10 days.

Also, because this is Texas, "mandatory" means exactly jack squat. It's basic a stern finger wagging.[DOUBLEPOST=1504293559,1504293263][/DOUBLEPOST]To be clear, this doesn't affect me directly. More just reporting. The only real effect is that it's starting to stink around here.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

To be clear, this doesn't affect me directly.
Not yet. But I was rather thinking of what 7-10 days of standing, seeping water will bring

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not yet. But I was rather thinking of what 7-10 days of standing, seeping water will bring
Fun fact: The Houston Ship Channel does not smell good on the best of days. And these are not the best of days.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Texas Secretary of State rejects Quebec's offer of blankets, beds, and hydro crews, says "send prayers" instead.

It's that kind of headline that makes the rest of the world laugh at us.

Celt Z

Celt Z

The offer should have come from the First Nations people. At least then there'd be a reason to go, "Hey, thanks! ...Waaaaaaaait a minute. Maybe not."

strawman

strawman

Why is that laughable? Next week they may need outside help, but Texas has different needs this week.

Or are you saying that the religious request is laughable?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Why is that laughable? Next week they may need outside help, but Texas has different needs this week.

Or are you saying that the religious request is laughable?
If you only read the headline, it makes TX look like a bunch of backwards bible-thumping idiots who rejected actual help. True, the real story is the help offered isn't what's needed right now, but the headline just makes TX look bad.

fade

fade

The truth is that Texas received too much help. They were turning away even local, internal donations before the hurricane was even over. Volunteers were in overabundance, too.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Is your hyper-link the actual headline at the time you posted it? If so, they changed it to:
Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey
Texas Secretary of State says no need for now, asks for prayers instead

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Is your hyper-link the actual headline at the time you posted it? If so, they changed it to:
Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey
Texas Secretary of State says no need for now, asks for prayers instead
That was the story I picked to link. It seemed to be the least biased. That was their headline from the start. Most other outlets are going with the more inflammatory version.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If you are freaking out over shortage of gas, remember we've had worse. Remember the recall of Blue Bell...and we got through it.

fade

fade

I just drove out over the Addicks reservoir. I think the city is hiding how bad the dams are. Probably to prevent panic. The water is right up against I-10 and above the road level. It's being held back by long water bags, and only the very tops of house rooftops are above water. There is a massive flurry of construction going on in the dam itself.

fade

fade

Scary looking military trucks went down my street escorted by a police car with lights and sirens on. Then the power went out.

I'm telling you, man. Zombie apocalypse.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

My dad's house is looking to be an almost total lost. Still has over 4 feet of water in it and it is hey aren't expecting it to receded down here until at least the 13th. Hopefully they are wrong. His security cameras are still working so that's how we know the amount of water in his house. My mom has water in her house, no idea how much because she lost power on the first day, and same thing with her, they are expecting the water to receded around the 13th. My sisters houses and my house are completely fine. My dad also lost his car and motorcycle due to the flood, he has one surviving car and that's because it's in the shop. He's stuck in west Columbia and it's under a mandatory evacuation, the last highway just got flooded out and closed down here for that town. Everyone else but me are ifutger up north evacuated. I'm not in an evacuation area so I'm still good

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Scary looking military trucks went down my street escorted by a police car with lights and sirens on. Then the power went out.

I'm telling you, man. Zombie apocalypse.
Not zombies, but could be pretty damn bad for people still in Houston:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...aise-fears-spreading-toxins-article-1.3463785

fade

fade

Not zombies, but could be pretty damn bad for people still in Houston:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...aise-fears-spreading-toxins-article-1.3463785
They were actually checking for trapped people. I was just playing around. They're starting planned outages in this neighborhood starting today.

Jeez, @CrimsonSoul I hope things get better for your parents. If they need help, I can offer food or manual labor. My wife's been working with a shelter here, and she can put you in touch with people who can help if you need it.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

They were actually checking for trapped people. I was just playing around. They're starting planned outages in this neighborhood starting today.

Jeez, @CrimsonSoul I hope things get better for your parents. If they need help, I can offer food or manual labor. My wife's been working with a shelter here, and she can put you in touch with people who can help if you need it.
My mom and her husband together make over 100 dollars and hour working. And my dad, he recently retired but he's made bank as well so they are good, thanks though

figmentPez

figmentPez

Photo from inside of the HEB (grocery store) in Kingwood, TX

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Photo from inside of the HEB (grocery store) in Kingwood, TX

My first thought: someone should photoshop that prominent red box into a box of Sugar Bombs.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My first thought: someone should photoshop that prominent red box into a box of Sugar Bombs.
I've shopped that store before. We drive down to that area to shop semi-regularly.

I don't mention them often, but our company BBB lost the store at 1960 and 59N where the San Jacinto flooded the area again. One of the employees has relocated with us, talk from his bosses is that possibly not re-opening that store and moving it instead. This is the second time since I went to work for BBB that this particular store has flooded.

Do you happen to know if V-Bistro made it? It' was on the south side of 1960 has a DSW Shoes across from it. My wife loves their pho.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why would I ever click "See More" in that pic??? I'VE SEEN PLENTY ALREADY THANKS

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

Meanwhile, the west coast is turning to ash (this map is a week or so old):

This morning I literally had ash raining on my car:

IMG_20170904_085232.jpg

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Meanwhile, the west coast is turning to ash (this map is a week or so old):

This morning I literally had ash raining on my car:

View attachment 25466
TIL - where Idaho is.

MindDetective

MindDetective

TIL - where Idaho is.
Was. I think it has been consumed by the fires of Hell now.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Was. I think it has been consumed by the fires of Hell now.
Cool. I like baked potatoes.

MindDetective

MindDetective

The biggest fire going on right now, which is probably the one decorating my car, is the Chetco Bar fire, which has burned for almost 2 months and has consumed or is consuming more than 140,000 acres (roughly 220 square miles of land). I am not a forest manager, but I suspect the very wet winter followed by the very dry summer, thunderstorms, and high heat has made conditions ideal for fires all up and down the west coast. The last I heard, we are expecting the Rogue Valley where I live to be filled with smoke through all of September and into October. It is basically a giant bowl for smoke to pour into here. I cannot even see the mountains on the other side of the valley some days. Fortunately I am in a pretty safe place and have not seen any fires myself. But outside is not a place fit for people right now.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Idaho ...
...but I lost her.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It's been really hazy here thanks to all the smoke being blown in from the nearby Yosemite fire.

evilmike

evilmike

This explains a lot:

Attachments

Dave

Dave

Weird. I saw a couple models that took Irma's track right into Texas. Which would be devastatingly bad.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This explains a lot:
This says we might not hear from @Terrik or @Ravenpoe for a bit.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

--Patrick

Unless the cell towers go down, I'll still be here.

I mean, unless I'm dead, I suppose.

Terrik

Terrik

I suppose for our neck of the woods, the best (worst) case scenario is that it hits the SE corner and weakens as it moves across.

evilmike

evilmike

Weird. I saw a couple models that took Irma's track right into Texas. Which would be devastatingly bad.
Irma is a bit too far out to call a shot at Texas yet. Heck, it's a still little too far out to call a hit on Florida.

That being said (NHC):

A trough of low pressure located over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico is producing disorganized showers activity and gusty winds. Environmental conditions are marginally conducive for slow development, and this system could become a tropical depression during the next couple of days while it meanders over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico during the next few days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

--Patrick
I think we'll have a better picture tomorrow. Unfortunately, Irma is going to go far enough west that it's going to be someone's problem (not just Gulf states, but also most of the Greater Antilles.)

Right now, @Ravenpoe has a 8% chance of storm force winds. @Terrik is at ~18%.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Too soon:

Dave

Dave

The newest possible tracks is now not even featuring Texas.

Eriol

Eriol

The newest possible tracks is now not even featuring Texas.

Neat graphic. I like.

Secondly, except for the fact that I have friends in the area, I kinda want that thing to trend north and go through Washington. All the hot air would fuel the storm even more!

Dave

Dave

I hope it goes back out to sea, but there's one track that would take it right over New Orleans. Ouch.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I have a friend going to school in Antigua. Thankfully he was able to make it on a flight back to the US but it basically sounds like everything on the Island is gonna be destroyed.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm glad your friend is okay. That hug is for Antigua, since we dont have a "Sad" rating. Those poor people.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The other day I was talking with a friend about how the possibility of another storm hitting Texas was like the recent trend for horror movies to use creepy versions of children's songs.

Rain, rain, go away.... Come again, some other day!.... *violin screech*

fade

fade

The other day I was talking with a friend about how the possibility of another storm hitting Texas was like the recent trend for horror movies to use creepy versions of children's songs.

Rain, rain, go away.... Come again, some other day!.... *violin screech*
"Yep, that's me. A lowly category 2 hurricane. You might be wondering how I ended up in this situation...."

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ther Berhermerrs.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

...I work in Irma.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The cold front that is going to deflect Irma to the east is passing through right now, this is much worse storm wise than Harvey was. Harvey was rain, lots of it (over 13 inches here), but this is lightning and high winds, this has the potential to knock over trees that have had the ground soaked around them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

this has the potential to knock over trees that have had the ground soaked around them.
You know, I never thought about how they could team up.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

You know, I never thought about how they could team up.

--Patrick
We had Rita and Ike come through here a few years back. It wasn't the "front" of the storm that got us, it was when the center passed and the wind changed directions from out of the south to out of the north.

fade

fade

The cold front passed over us relatively mildly. There was a storm, but it was pretty tame. The fall temperatures this morning are nice though.

Dave

Dave

Did you know that hurricanes and hurricane coverage are nothing more than liberal conspiracies to promote climate change? That must be true because Rush Limbaugh says so.

http://www.newsweek.com/irma-hurric...ge-liberal-conspiracy-trump-deep-state-659890

fade

fade

Did you know that hurricanes and hurricane coverage are nothing more than liberal conspiracies to promote climate change? That must be true because Rush Limbaugh says so.

http://www.newsweek.com/irma-hurric...ge-liberal-conspiracy-trump-deep-state-659890
EDIT: I'd rather not start that debate outside the political subforum

evilmike

evilmike

Hopefully, the forecast for my weekend weather improves a bit...
irma early forcast.jpg

Denbrought

Denbrought

Hopefully, the forecast for my weekend weather improves a bit...
View attachment 25475
What's the source/site for that graphic? I really like that way of organizing the forecast.

evilmike

evilmike

What's the source/site for that graphic? I really like that way of organizing the forecast.
It's from Weather Underground.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm impressed that they believe they can predict the atmospheric pressure to that degree.

PatrThom

PatrThom

WU is my go-to when I'm not using forecast.io (a.k.a. Dark Sky)
I'm impressed that they believe they can predict the atmospheric pressure to that degree.
The other weather systems already exist, so long as they get the trajectories right, the bars should follow.

--Patrick

fade

fade

I'm a big fan of Windy.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Because she has stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Because she has stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies?
...OH MY GOD IS THAT THE LYRIC?

All these years I thought it was "sound of flies." I know it didn't make sense but... you know, old songs were silly. Goo goo ga choo and all that.

Eriol

Eriol

All these years I thought it was "sound of flies." I know it didn't make sense but... you know, old songs were silly. Goo goo ga choo and all that.
I'm sure you can google quickly for "20 songs who have lyrics you have been getting wrong for years!" (replace 20 with whatever number) They are LEGION.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't care. I still hear "wrapped up like a douche."

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sure you can google quickly for "20 songs who have lyrics you have been getting wrong for years!" (replace 20 with whatever number) They are LEGION.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The word you're looking for is "mondegreen"

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Goo goo ga joob", by the way.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Goo goo ga joob", by the way.
That one I'm not worried about. The exact spelling of jibberish is a little too trivial even for me.

mikerc

mikerc

That one I'm not worried about. The exact spelling of gibberish is a little too trivial even for me.
But not for me. Normil wurds do'nt bohter mee butt gibberish shood b spellet rite.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm actually considering getting out of Dodge here. Forecasts show it'll be a CAT 3 by the time it gets here, which is still major. I just don't know where the eye is going. It LOOKS like it'll be east of here, on the other coast, which would make my area safer (if true---still no idea where its actually going), but the storm is so big, I'm not sure what the impact will be. Top it off with the fact I-75 N out of Florida is a parking lot and I'm kinda stuck deciding what should be done.

strawman

strawman

Well, we've got fires, floods, and storms. Now all we need are earthquakes and plagues (locusts or diseases I guess?).

GasBandit

GasBandit

And then alien invasion, and zombie apocalypse.

Dei

Dei

Well, we've got fires, floods, and storms. Now all we need are earthquakes and plagues (locusts or diseases I guess?).
Well, we are seeing an epidemic of anti vaxxers, so plagues probably aren't far off.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm actually considering getting out of Dodge here. Forecasts show it'll be a CAT 3 by the time it gets here, which is still major. I just don't know where the eye is going. It LOOKS like it'll be east of here, on the other coast, which would make my area safer (if true---still no idea where its actually going), but the storm is so big, I'm not sure what the impact will be. Top it off with the fact I-75 N out of Florida is a parking lot and I'm kinda stuck deciding what should be done.
FWIW, Weather Underground is showing storm force winds in your area whereas Orlando is getting hurricane force winds.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

$99 to take JetBlue out of Florida.

GasBandit

GasBandit

$99 to take JetBlue out of Florida.
They might not take dogs... or they might let dogs freeze in the hold.

GasBandit

GasBandit

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Stay safe southeast coast people!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

My family will be evacing on Saturday morning, most likely. Maybe sooner, we'll see.

Just like last time, I will be here, swimming and dodging flying trees.

EDIT: Jim Cantore has landed. Shit. Got. Real.

EDITREDUX: Apparently, this is bullshit. That'll teach me to take friends' Facebook posts at face value.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yanno, when I was a kid, I always thought that "The Big One" would hit the LA area about this year...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Really hope my sister pulled her family out of there.

Jay

Jay

So, I've been watching some video/footage of places like St-Maarten where I've personally visited twice and the devastation there is staggering. Watching the live video feed was unreal.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Relatives from Orlando are up here to visit. They are planning to head back tomorrow instead of Friday. They're in contact with family back home, but I'm wondering if leaving early is really a good idea.

Gared

Gared

Relatives from Orlando are up here to visit. They are planning to head back tomorrow instead of Friday. They're in contact with family back home, but I'm wondering if leaving early is really a good idea.
I dunno man, the most recent Euro UKMet model apparently has Irma tracking a little further west before turning north, making landfall in cuba, then sw Florida, and tracking right between Orlando and the east coast; but the shot I have of it doesn't have the (extremely important) timestamps on it.

Edit: Sorry, wrong model.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I dunno man, the most recent Euro UKMet model apparently has Irma tracking a little further west before turning north, making landfall in cuba, then sw Florida, and tracking right between Orlando and the east coast; but the shot I have of it doesn't have the (extremely important) timestamps on it.

Edit: Sorry, wrong model.
The WU Computer models have it tracking up the east coast of FL, but the Ensemble models are all over the state. Sigh.

strawman

strawman

Looking at the tropical wind probability for their location, there's a 60-80 percent chance they're going to be hit with 39mph winds or greater.

Better than even odds, but the reality is that they are relatively far inland, and fairly well protected by all the land mass around them (unless they are closer to the coast than to orlando).

If they don't have anything critically irreplaceable, if their home is already secured for tropical force winds, and if they can extend their stay until late next week, then it's worth considering staying longer. Otherwise there's little danger in traveling down before the storm and weathering it out in place. Even if it hits them head on, it'll have already travelled half of Florida's length and thus weakened considerably. It would only be very bad if it stayed in the atlantic off the coast, strengthening, then took a sharp turn west right at Orlando.

Worst case, they'll have a day or two notice that it's still a major hurricane as it approaches them, hasn't weakened, and they'll have some time to evacuate.[DOUBLEPOST=1504795557,1504795406][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/114654.shtml?tswind120#wcontents

GasBandit

GasBandit

The post-Harvey mosquito crop has come in.

Terrik

Terrik

It would be so satisfying to take an electric racket through all that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It would be so satisfying to take an electric racket through all that.
Imagine setting up Bill Gates' anti-mosquito laser turret there. It'd go Molten Core.

evilmike

evilmike

Filed under "interesting, yet mildly unsettling":

The eye transition is clearly showing up in my 10 day forecast now:
irma update 01.jpg

Dave

Dave

The post-Harvey mosquito crop has come in.

So instead of the locusts we were talking about....

Eriol

Eriol

Filed under "interesting, yet mildly unsettling":

The eye transition is clearly showing up in my 10 day forecast now:
View attachment 25477
The part about that graph that stands out for me is how the temperature graph is very "day-night" distinct post-hurricane (clear skies-ish presumably) but the approaching cloud "muddles" the whole thing into an outright flatline (both ways, doesn't go down at night) as it approaches.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We thought the Crimson Curse was vampirism... turns out it's Zika.

Dave

Dave

Bubble181

Bubble181

For now, malaria isn't a (big) issue over ther eyet, but we're already seeing malaria mosquitoes survive up to Northern Italy. The changing weather patterns - and let's all agree to leave the politics out of this thread and just assume it's changing, never mind the cause - will push malaria further north soon enough, and it will come there too. Instant double the fun!

GasBandit

GasBandit

For now, malaria isn't a (big) issue over ther eyet, but we're already seeing malaria mosquitoes survive up to Northern Italy. The changing weather patterns - and let's all agree to leave the politics out of this thread and just assume it's changing, never mind the cause - will push malaria further north soon enough, and it will come there too. Instant double the fun!
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services actually rescheduled a lot of their Zika virus awareness commercials off the week after the hurricane on my stations because they thought reminders to "drain standing water" might be a little insensitive during the flood. But now they sure as hell are doubling up on them.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Florida also voted trump, when it kinda mattered more...

Dei

Dei

Florida also voted trump, when it kinda mattered more...

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought the joke was just "he wished ill on others and then it happens to him." My b.

Dave

Dave

[why not both picture]

figmentPez

figmentPez

Imagine setting up Bill Gates' anti-mosquito laser turret there. It'd go Molten Core.
SUPPRESSING FIRE!

Frank

Frank

Floridians, have no fear, Rush Limbaugh has informed us that Hurricane Irma is a liberal hoax.

The inhabitants of Barbuda should be thrilled to learn this.

Stupid joking aside, stay safe all you folks, seriously.

Earth has gone from a 2 to a 3 in the Star Control 2 weather scale, about when you need to think whether the loss of crew is worth going down without the Melnorme's weather shielding.

Gared

Gared

Well, all of the models have updated again, and the GFS has come into consensus with the Euro model. I'm hoping the reason we haven't heard from any actual Floridians (and Carolinians, and Georgians, and hell, maybe even Virginians) is because they're all checking in with the advisories from their local Emergency Management department and hunkering down/bugging out as necessary. Stay safe everyone.

strawman

strawman

Aaaand there's the earthquake - strongest one in a century, just to the south west of Mexico:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Eriol

Eriol

Aaaand there's the earthquake - strongest one in a century, just to the south west of Mexico:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
How many plagues and/or apocalypse signs are we at now?

strawman

strawman

How many plagues and/or apocalypse signs are we at now?
I don't know, but xkcd is tracking space phenomena for us:

General Specific

General Specific

I live in South Carolina, possibly within the storm track of Irma. I'm fine and not planning on going anywhere. Current models show the storm veering into Georgia and so it is unlikely that we will get much more than some strong storms and a slight chance of a tornado. Right now, my work has not announced any closings, but I am anticipating the high school I am at to be turned into a shelter, so will possibly be out monday and tuesday. Waiting on further updates.

Dave

Dave

By the way, our servers are located in Miami. The datacenter assures me that they can handle things and we'll be fine, but you never know.

Denbrought

Denbrought

By the way, our servers are located in Miami. The datacenter assures me that they can handle things and we'll be fine, but you never know.
Do you have the ability to back up the database and other data? Might be a good time, if you don't do it regularly already.

evilmike

evilmike

Expecting category 2 conditions here on Sunday which is an improvement over earlier forecasts.

fade

fade

I live in South Carolina, possibly within the storm track of Irma. I'm fine and not planning on going anywhere. Current models show the storm veering into Georgia and so it is unlikely that we will get much more than some strong storms and a slight chance of a tornado. Right now, my work has not announced any closings, but I am anticipating the high school I am at to be turned into a shelter, so will possibly be out monday and tuesday. Waiting on further updates.
We got Hugo in 89 there. The eye passed right over Pelion. It was noisy and rained, but it passed very quickly and didn't do much that far inland.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Well, all of the models have updated again, and the GFS has come into consensus with the Euro model. I'm hoping the reason we haven't heard from any actual Floridians (and Carolinians, and Georgians, and hell, maybe even Virginians) is because they're all checking in with the advisories from their local Emergency Management department and hunkering down/bugging out as necessary. Stay safe everyone.
I know Covar is also in NC. We're both 2 hrs from the coast, and at the most we might get some flash floods. If the wind speeds hold over land we could have tree problems. We shouldn't have nearly as bad of a time as our Florida/SC/Georgia brethren (Denbrought, OfficerCharon, Ravenpoe, Terrik, EvilMike, GenSpecific, others?) Stay safe, y'all.

Bubble181

Bubble181

In the mean time, it's unseasonally chilly around here, and kinda drizzly, and it has been for days. No fair! My weather's HORRIBLE! My vacation's coming up! BWAAAHHHH!

...But seriously, all of you stay safe.

Dave

Dave

Do you have the ability to back up the database and other data? Might be a good time, if you don't do it regularly already.
It gets automatically backed up on an hourly schedule. That's what they say, at least.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Denbrought

Denbrought

It gets automatically backed up on an hourly schedule. That's what they say, at least.
Do they explicitly say their backups are off-site? Do you know where this off-site is, or at least how far away from the main data center? A manual backup can buy you a lot of peace of mind, in this kind of situation.

Terrik

Terrik

So this thing is now tracking even farther west and I got a notice to evacuate. ALRIGHT.

So the plan is to board up the windows, set up the sandbags, and head to my sister's on Sunday. She lives 20 minutes from here, but its a sturdier (i.e. newer concrete block) house and isn't in a flood zone. The good(?) news is that it'll be "only" a Cat 3 when it gets here.

strawman

strawman

It will be interesting how the 1992 Florida hurricane building regulations work with this storm.

Terrik

Terrik

Important things first.

0908171314.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

no water.jpg

no soup for you.jpg
yes we have no bananas.jpg

Terrik

Terrik

So my latest forecast includes sustained 80-90mph winds with possibilities of gusts higher than that, so good chance my power will go out sometime sunday night.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Barbuda Island.
Left, early 2017 in the dry seaosn. Right, today, after Irma. There's pretty much not a tree left standing, the entire tropical foliage has been torn away.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Relatives who were up here are now safely back in the Orlando area.

Terrik

Terrik

hurricanes.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Because of the mass evacuation turning the roads into absolute gridlock, it took me 4 hours to drive the 12 miles from work to home.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Barbuda Island.
Left, early 2017 in the dry seaosn. Right, today, after Irma. There's pretty much not a tree left standing, the entire tropical foliage has been torn away.

From what I've read, the island is now deemed "uninhabitable."

My idiot sister is staying put. I hope she and hers will be alright.

Dei

Dei

From what I've read, the island is now deemed "uninhabitable."

My idiot sister is staying put. I hope she and hers will be alright.
Evacuating at this point is all but impossible because the roads are fucked. See Poe's comment about just trying to get home.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Evacuating at this point is all but impossible because the roads are fucked. See Poe's comment about just trying to get home.
This wasn't "I planned to leave but we're stuck here," it's "we were never planning to leave, last time we left and nothing happened." I know people are stuck now though.

evilmike

evilmike

This wasn't "I planned to leave but we're stuck here," it's "we were never planning to leave, last time we left and nothing happened." I know people are stuck now though.
What part of the state is she located in?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What part of the state is she located in?
Jacksonville, I think.

evilmike

evilmike

Jacksonville, I think.
FWIW, the storm has to go through most of the state to hit Jacksonville.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

FWIW, the storm has to go through most of the state to hit Jacksonville.
Okay, that makes me feel a lot better.

strawman

strawman

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better.
Jacksonville is in the north east corner, and only has a 10-20 percent chance of receiving hurricane force winds, but a 80% chance of receiving tropical storm winds. So they should be fine. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/035210.shtml?hwind120#wcontents

The rest of Florida, though, wow. Nearly the entire peninsula is within the 90% chance of tropical storm winds, and a good portion of it is within 50% of hurricane force winds.

It spun back up to a category five. Hurricane force winds should hit the south west coast Sunday morning, and will perhaps have passed over the entire state by Monday morning.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Things can still change, and given that it's going to hit Cuba harder than earlier models showed, it may lose some of its strength (one possibility is that it'll weaken enough due to cuba to become a category 2 upon Florida landfall, but that seems unlikely, particularly since the strait is warm, and so it'll pick up steam again once it leaves Cuba).

At least it doesn't present the possibility of 36" and more rain, like Harvey did. The storm surge will be rough, and the winds will be bad, but it doesn't look like persistent deep flooding is going to be likely.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/irma-top-end-cat-4-storm-now-less-two-days-florida

evilmike

evilmike

I just had to turn off the alerts on my phone because it apparently just realized that, as of 11pm, we are in a hurricane warning zone and it wouldn't stop buzzing about it.

Thank you, phone, I know about the hurricane. :p

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

We've switched over to 12 hour shifts. I should really be in bed because I have to be back at 0600 tomorrow.

Even though most projections have this bitch going through Florida to get to us, they're still doing mandatory evacuations, starting at 0800. I'm going to be in traffic control Hell tomorrow, and I can't even toss my rookie at it, because she's never done traffic control before. Not the time to do trial by fire.

They're gonna be sheltering my precinct at a local military school. If, for some reason, it hits Category 3 or above here, they're gonna pull out all non-SWAT personnel, bringing us back in when the storm passes.

And to top it off, by the time I got off shift today, all the liquor stores were closed. Guess Thor and Njall aren't gonna get their offering of mead...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Thor's a good guy, I'm sure he'll understand. :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

In case anyone is wondering how @LittleKagsin is doing with all the fires out west, she says it's smoggy where she is, but she's not in any danger.[DOUBLEPOST=1504934328,1504934194][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, apparently Irma is so powerful it's going to wipe NC off the map and replace it with a copy of WV.

Frank

Frank

Fuck, that path looks like it's going to snap America's dick right off.

Terrik

Terrik

My forecast got worse. All it's done is get worse. As of this morning, this is my Sunday forecast:

Hurricane conditions likely. Frequent rain showers will be accompanied by heavy downpours and strong gusty winds at times. Low 74F. Winds NNE at 100 to 115 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 3 to 5 inches of rain expected.

evilmike

evilmike

My forecast got worse. All it's done is get worse. As of this morning, this is my Sunday forecast:

Hurricane conditions likely. Frequent rain showers will be accompanied by heavy downpours and strong gusty winds at times. Low 74F. Winds NNE at 100 to 115 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 3 to 5 inches of rain expected.
It's going to be a rotten few days. Is there anything else you need to do to prepare? Are there any flood concerns at your new location?

Terrik

Terrik

It's going to be a rotten few days. Is there anything else you need to do to prepare? Are there any flood concerns at your new location?
My backyard tends to flood, and the anclode river is nearby, although I'm at the border of a C/D evacuation zone. I boarded up my house and have sandbags at my sliding glass door in the back yard where it tends to flood. Although I'm seeing this more of a wind event than a rain one. Now I have the option of going a little further (not much though, like, 15-20 minutes) to my sisters' Unfortunately she only boarded her back windows, but not the front. Although her house is mostly brick, I'm wondering if its safer at all, because all that needs to happen is a window breaks. She is somewhat shielded by trees, though. I honestly have no idea what to do. I wasn't expecting the hurricane eye in my face.

Terrik

Terrik

Alright screw it. We're supposed to get gusts up to CAT 4 strength. I'm going to the east coast to Melbourne to a friend's house. I better start packing. I-75 N may be jammed, but I-4 should be clear.

EDIT: And just to be clear, Melbourne (on the east coast) is still forecasted to get hurricane force winds. 70-90mph. However, thats better than here and its not in the path of the eye.

evilmike

evilmike

My backyard tends to flood, and the anclode river is nearby, although I'm at the border of a C/D evacuation zone. I boarded up my house and have sandbags at my sliding glass door in the back yard where it tends to flood. Although I'm seeing this more of a wind event than a rain one. Now I have the option of going a little further (not much though, like, 15-20 minutes) to my sisters' Unfortunately she only boarded her back windows, but not the front. Although her house is mostly brick, I'm wondering if its safer at all, because all that needs to happen is a window breaks. She is somewhat shielded by trees, though. I honestly have no idea what to do. I wasn't expecting the hurricane eye in my face.
It sounds like you're well prepared. Even your sister's place sounds ok. I assume you've got your evacuation kit planned should it come to that.

I think the best thing you can do right now is: wait for the 11am update and, unless the news changes your evacuation status, go outside and relax. I call this the 'Waiting for Godot' phase of the hurricane. We know the storm is coming, but there isn't anything we can do about it other than make small talk, and it's kind of mad.

Frank

Frank

Stay safe.

Terrik

Terrik

A friend of mine just called me who's getting sandbags at the fire station down the street from my house said someone got stabbed, people are stealing shovels, and everyone is yelling at the fire station personnel.

strawman

strawman

Brick will still provide significant protection from projectile debris compared to other typical siding. If you're facing more than tropical force winds, then you should probably shelter in brick if you don't have better shelter options. Your evacuation order probably comes with instructions for public shelters suitable for this storm if you're very concerned.

I assume you've gone over a hurricane checklist, particularly for supplies. If it does get bad communications, power, water, and food is going to be limited for days and possibly weeks, so make sure you've got a portable radio, and if you have FRS or similar walkie talkie radios make sure you have batteries for them so you can chat with each other, and communicate with others in the area if needed.

Google maps can download local maps, go into settings and make sure you have a map of the local area, and if there's any critical information (phone numbers, medical, etc) which you usually use online make sure you have a local copy. It's not a bad idea to buy a paper map of the area, so you can conserve battery power on your smart phone.

If you have limited cellular after the storm, text messages will often get through when calling may not. If you have an iphone, consider going into settings and imessage, and switching off imessage so everything is sent via the cellular texting system rather than waiting 15 minutes trying to get to apple's servers via the internet.

Bring/pack/protect some board games and books, or movies and a tablet or portable player of some sort. These might help distract you and others for the long hours during the storm when every creak and bang feels threatening. Keep your phones on chargers during the storm so you aren't fighting a low battery situation just as you're trying to understand the extent of the damage and exploring the new situation. I suggest portable chargers rather than wall chargers to reduce the risk of storm related electrical damage, but you'll need to preserve as many portable chargers for after the storm as you can. If you don't have a gasoline generator, make friends with your neighbors who do so you can charge your phone chargers.

My phone is 734-418-8418. I can't do much here from Michigan, but my heart and mind will be with you and if there's anything you want to talk through, questions I can help with, or you just need a distraction just call or text anytime day or night. I have a pretty good handle on home construction, DIY stuff, electronics, communications, and weather safety.

This goes for anyone affected by this or other storms or emergency situations.

Oh, another thing, in situations like this almost all mormon churches turn into command centers of some sort, sometimes shelters, sometimes places for volunteers to gather to help others, and they are almost always within a 5-30 drive of any populated area. If you have a situation you can't handle or the authorities are unable to help in time for, go see if there's anyone at the local mormon church building. As such it might be worthwhile mapping out the nearest 2-3 of these buildings to your home and shelter before the storm hits. You'll usually see the yellow "mormon helping hands" tshirts volunteers wear in a day or two after a storm.

Keep a bike handy. Faster than on foot, but can pass almost as many obstacles as you can on foot.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Every update on the path gets worse for me. It looks like it's going to skirt up the west coast, keep a lot of its strength, and hit us directly. They're predicting 115mph winds. Even if I wanted to evacuate now (which I do now want to) I can't, because the gas shortage is still in full effect, there is simply no gas anywhere around here, and the only road out of my neck of the woods is pure gridlock.

The plan now is to hunker down as best we can and hope for the best.

evilmike

evilmike

Every update on the path gets worse for me. It looks like it's going to skirt up the west coast, keep a lot of its strength, and hit us directly. They're predicting 115mph winds. Even if I wanted to evacuate now (which I do now want to) I can't, because the gas shortage is still in full effect, there is simply no gas anywhere around here, and the only road out of my neck of the woods is pure gridlock.

The plan now is to hunker down as best we can and hope for the best.
If you're in a solid structure, that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Btw, where are you getting your wind data from?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If you're in a solid structure, that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Btw, where are you getting your wind data from?
The weather channel

Also, I'm in a trailer, which is... not the most sturdy? But it does have storm shutters and hurricane anchors, so maybe.

evilmike

evilmike

The weather channel

Also, I'm in a trailer, which is... not the most sturdy? But it does have storm shutters and hurricane anchors, so maybe.
Hmm. It was just that the wind speed seems a bit aggressive compared to what I see one weather.com or Weather Underground. (I've been using Gainesville to estimate your weather.)

However, I would not recommend staying in a trailer even if the winds are only category 1 strength. Is there a emergency shelter you can go to?

strawman

strawman

I'm surprised at how well the new regulations protect manufactured homes:

http://www.flhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Hurricanes-and-Manufactured-Housing.pdf

That said, I would suggest you shelter elsewhere if possible as well...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hmm. It was just that the wind speed seems a bit aggressive compared to what I see one weather.com or Weather Underground. (I've been using Gainesville to estimate your weather.)

However, I would not recommend staying in a trailer even if the winds are only category 1 strength. Is there a emergency shelter you can go to?

I'm west of Gainesville. A little area called Dixie County.

Depending on how the forecasts change, or don't change, over the next 24 hours, we may head to my grandmother's home, which isn't far away but is a solidly built log cabin. Our only concern there is there are a lot of trees around her home, whereas here we are in a clearing with trees far enough away from anything on every side to hopefully act as wind breaks.

Gared

Gared

There's always these guys:

evilmike

evilmike

I'm west of Gainesville. A little area called Dixie County.
Your entire county is under mandatory evacuation! (http://www.dixieemergency.com)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Your entire county is under mandatory evacuation! (http://www.dixieemergency.com)
I am aware of this.

Dei

Dei

The roadways in Florida are a giant mess. Mandatory evacuation is all well and good until there is no way out.

evilmike

evilmike

The roadways in Florida are a giant mess. Mandatory evacuation is all well and good until there is no way out.
I don't know how accurate Google Maps traffic reports are in Dixie County, but they are mostly showing green for the major roads. Alachua County has shelters open. I'd guess the closest one is High Springs Community School at 1015 N Main, High Springs.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Lots of misleading "you can be fired if you evacuate" headlines. Then you click on the article and it's full of qualifications that nearly turn it into a non-story. :facepalm:

Terrik

Terrik

I made it to Melbourne.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gared

Gared

Godspeed, everyone. You'll be in my thoughts tonight, and until we hear from you again if there's a break in communications.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Lots of misleading "you can be fired if you evacuate" headlines. Then you click on the article and it's full of qualifications that nearly turn it into a non-story. :facepalm:
Getting fired for obeying a mandatory evacuation should be grounds for a lawsuit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Gared

Gared

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Huh....

Irma is so strong that it literally sucked all the nearby ocean water towards it's core leaving shallow areas without any water.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeesh...
irmaladouche.png

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That trailing patch to the north is rolling over us right now. A tasty preview of things to come. And while the main storm ain't gonna hit us, we're at high risk for storm surge and tornadoes, as well as occasional hurricane-strength wind gusts.

Florida folks, hunker down, and we'll see you on the other side.

evilmike

evilmike

Wind and rain here. Not tropical storm force yet.

Terrik

Terrik

Wind and rain here. Not tropical storm force yet.
Constant tornado warnings though

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

Capture+_2017-09-10-12-04-26.png

evilmike

evilmike

@Terrik , you missed an opportunity yesterday. You should have stopped at Disney World. :)

Terrik

Terrik

Starting to pick up a little bit.

evilmike

evilmike

I found a site that gives a pretty good visualization of the wind over Florida right now: http://www.windmapper.com/?Loc=FL

sample wind map.gif

jwhouk

jwhouk

The rest of the country is basically clear, but the entirety of Florida and almost all of the southeast is covered by Irma.

Dei

Dei

Terrik lost power. He turned off his phone to conserve battery and will update me again later.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Terrik lost power. He turned off his phone to conserve battery and will update me again later.
I'm still here. Bring it, Irma!

No, actually, don't... keep it Irma.

evilmike

evilmike

Still here as well.

I'm in a gap between bands right now. Lots of wind, but no rain.

evilmike

evilmike

Some good news:

(Snopes)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do not taunt Hurricane Irma.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Do not taunt Hurricane Irma.

--Patrick
She started it.

Dei

Dei

Got an update. Data service is down, but Terrik still has basic SMS and was able to text me that winds are still bad, but he thinks they are going to be fine.

Eriol

Eriol

This is the whole "the warning label is only there because somebody did something stupid" thing, taken to 11.

strawman

strawman

This is the whole "the warning label is only there because somebody did something stupid" thing, taken to 11.
This is probably due to the facebook event "Shoot at hurricane Irma":

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm without power, but we made it

evilmike

evilmike

Lost power some time during the night, but it's back now. Looks like minor damage. It's weird how little rain is trailing this storm.

Not that I'm complaining...
a little rain.gif
[DOUBLEPOST=1505138159,1505137746][/DOUBLEPOST]Texted Terrik. He's fine. He's headed back home.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nobody knows where Jose is going to go. Perhaps it should be "No-way-Jose."

evilmike

evilmike

Nobody knows where Jose is going to go. Perhaps it should be "No-way-Jose."
I am uncomfortably reminded of Hurricane Jeanne:

General Specific

General Specific

Update from West Columbia, SC. We are beginning to feel the effects of Irma here. We have had rain all morning, but recently winds have started really picking up with periodic downpours as well. Power has remained on for us, but that is most likely due to our proximity to a hospital. This area kinda gets priority attention when power does go out.

Terrik

Terrik

Long, long ass, traffic heavy, fallen tree-laden, flooded drive back, but I'm back. A few tree branches got thrown around, my neighbors fence got destroyed, and my grill cover flew off, landed in the yard, and I found it infested by frogs, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, power is on, water is fine, and it's good to be home. Ironically I think Melbourne, where I went to evacuate, ended up getting it worse. Maybe later I'll post a couple videos of how it ended up progressing as time went on.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

IMG_20170911_175049.jpg
I've got this no power problem all figured out

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tesla Temporarily Boosts Battery Capacity For Hurricane Irma

Apparently Tesla models S and X cars all have the same battery systems, but different configurations will software limit them to use only 60 or 70 of the 75 kilowatt hours. After a customer called for help in evacuating, the company set it so that all of their cars in the SE would get the full battery capacity through Saturday.

fade

fade

View attachment 25508
I've got this no power problem all figured out
Looks like you're about to touch that alien egg pod despite everyone in the theater yelling at you not to.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They're saying power is going to be out until Saturday, and all motels are either booked or also don't have power

Gared

Gared

How's the Texas cleanup and recovery going?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Glad that most folks SEEM to be doing okay after this...

fade

fade

Doesn't seem to be getting the media coverage Harvey did. But then again I'm kind of biased, since TV here was 24/7 Harvey.

strawman

strawman

It seems that people build better buildings every time a storm comes through, so the biggest news is usually about the flooding. Harvey was responsible for a lot more flooding than Irma.

That said, we had two major hurricanes land in the US in heavily populated areas with a combined death toll (so far) of just over 100.

That's amazing.

Dei

Dei

PatrThom

PatrThom

It was 63°F on Mon. At 11pm.
Now it's 2 solid days of 20-35MPH winds. Garbage cans and signs everywhere.
Also it's supposed to snow on Fri with a low of 10°F.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm cold.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm cold.
Me too! It's 40 damn degrees outside! This should not be a thing where either of us live!

Terrik

Terrik

Me too! It's 40 damn degrees outside! This should not be a thing where either of us live!
Celcius.

PatrThom

PatrThom

General Specific

General Specific

Yesterday's high was 72, the overnight low for Saturday-Sunday is 28

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

It's not 40 where I live, but it's down to 21 on Mauna Kea! The winds are blowing from that direction so the breeze here is cold even though the overall temperature doesn't reflect it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's fucking snowing

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's fucking snowing
We are under threat of snow here too.

Really weird weather.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We are under threat of snow here too.

Really weird weather.
Weather like this makes me really nervous about driving home. These people see a few flakes and treat it like the end times, the roads turn into Mad Max shit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just stay after work a little.
Also make sure you have a scraper, blanket, and peanut butter in the car in case you are stranded, and don’t let your tank go below half. Maybe also carry some road flares, 12ga ammo in a waterproof can, and maybe a dirigible.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just stay after work a little.
Also make sure you have a scraper, blanket, and peanut butter in the car in case you are stranded, and don’t let your tank go below half. Maybe also carry some road flares, 12ga ammo in a waterproof can, and maybe a dirigible.

—Patrick
Heh, It's less than 2 miles to get home.

But the route passes the main entrance of a community college.

That entrance intersection claimed the life of my previous car.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's sticking.

1207171943.jpg

It's not supposed to be sticking, you guys.

strawman

strawman

/bender Neat!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't have a scraper.

strawman

strawman

I don't have a scraper.
Meh. Sit in your car with the heat on high for ten minutes then run the wipers. You aren’t going to get significant ice accumulation down there.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Credit cards.

Gared

Gared

Credit cards.
Store discount club cards. Don't screw up the mag strips or chips on your credit cards.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just went and found a magazine somewhere in the station to sweep off the snow. Steinman was right, after all, it was just a 6-inch pile of fluff with no ice underneath it. My youth in Colorado made me expect to always find an inch thick layer of ice below a 6in pile of snow, but this is Texas.[DOUBLEPOST=1512698415,1512698385][/DOUBLEPOST]It's still just pretty neat because it has literally never snowed like this since I moved here.[DOUBLEPOST=1512698907][/DOUBLEPOST]Made it home safe. The streets were understandably near deserted.

There are kids across the way making a Snowman on the lawn. Unheard of. My cat is absolutely flabbergasted.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Your cat must be out of his mind.
“THE SKY IS ATTACKING rrrRRghlblblblbll...”

—Patrick

fade

fade

It is snowing in Houston. In Houston.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It is snowing in Houston. In Houston.
It's officially the Endtimes.[DOUBLEPOST=1512712031,1512711567][/DOUBLEPOST]It was too good to last in BCS though. It's already back up above freezing and it's all melting away.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Each time we get a hurricane, we get snow that year too.

Emrys

Emrys

Doomweasel minion, they're catching onto our weather control! Vary the pattern!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't have a scraper.
That's what the peanut butter is for. Smear it on top of your windscreen, and DOomweasels will come and heat up the windshield while eating.
Then, you just need to get rid of the Doomweasels.

Emrys

Emrys

Then, you just need to get rid of the Doomweasels.
Ha! Good luck with that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

All the pine trees looked like confections. And there are at least a million pine trees on my commute in the morning. The clouds hung low and were a dark blue. Really pretty morning. Luckily the roads did not freeze.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ha! Good luck with that.
It's easy enough. Just organize a Scampering. :p

Dave

Dave

I’m in Colorado Springs. It’s going to be 60 today.

Emrys

Emrys

It's easy enough. Just organize a Scampering. :p
That is a Scampering.

Well, part of one.

A minor one.

OK, that's how we get peanut butter in our house.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1208171011.jpg

Merry Christmas from Aggieland.

Celt Z

Celt Z

View attachment 26159

Merry Christmas from Aggieland.
Well, that is a snow.....thing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, that is a snow.....thing.
It was PROBABLY a snowman last night, around 9pm (it's what I saw the kids making when I came home) but I didn't leave for work until 10 am this morning and everything was melting like crazy already :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

For reference, here's Underling #2 making a snowman last night.

maddie snowman.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Letting the dog out this morning.

Eriol

Eriol

Letting the dog out this morning.

Given the age of that movie, pretty soon people are going to start calling you @Dave

:awesome:

Dei

Dei

I’m in Colorado Springs. It’s going to be 60 today.
That's not weird though.

fade

fade

Dammit, thanks for reminding me that I meant to watch PT&A for Thanksgiving.

Terrik

Terrik

We're getting our fun weather tonight

24852330_914079705427834_979935150085193190_n.jpg

Eriol

Eriol

To all of us Haligonians out there: Special Weather Statement from Environment Canada
Alerts for: Halifax Metro and Halifax County West

Statements

3:54 PM AST Friday 08 December 2017
Special weather statement in effect for:
  • Halifax Metro and Halifax County West
Winter weather conditions expected this weekend across the Maritimes.

A low pressure system will approach the Maritimes from the southwest on Saturday and track across Nova Scotia Saturday night to lie over the Gulf of St. Lawrence by midday Sunday.

Precipitation associated with the system will begin as rain along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia Saturday morning while interior regions of the province will see a mixture of snow and rain beginning near noon before changing over to rain at times heavy Saturday night.

Northern areas of the province could see as much as 5 to 10 cm of snow before the change over to rain Saturday night. In total 20 to 40 mm of rain is expected across the province by midday Sunday with the highest amounts likely for areas along the Atlantic coast.

Additionally, higher than normal water levels and rough surf are expected at the high tide Saturday night along the Atlantic coast.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.weatheraspc.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports using #NSStorm.
So just rain for Halifax area... probably. Who knows for those of us slightly (or MORE than slightly) inland?

Dave

Dave

Underling #2 is attractive.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You have NO idea.

The lighting is bad in that picture. Her hair is long and copper colored.

PatrThom

PatrThom

We're getting our fun weather tonight
View attachment 26162
Looks like Crystal River around to Ft Myers have a fair chance of Murlocs.
You have NO idea.
The lighting is bad in that picture. Her hair is long and copper colored.
I’ll see what I can do when I get home.

—Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

For reference, here's Underling #2 making a snowman last night.
I’ll see what I can do when I get home.
HA HA or maybe two weeks later.
nameredacted snowman.jpg

--Patrick