Weird weather

Here in the US Midwest, it's averaging mid-80F/30C or so.
In Chile, it's hitting 37C/98F.
Keep in mind that in Chile, which is in South America and therefore in the Southern hemisphere, it is currently supposed to be the middle of Winter.

--Patrick

Meanwhile, while almost literally the whole rest of the world is baking or drowning, we here in North-Western Europe are having the most average and dreary summer in a decade, with temperatures around 18°C-22°C (64°F-72°F), lots of clouds, almost daily some rain.
Not the greatest ever summer vibe/beach/whatever weather, but I'll take it.

And we are still continuing on with the most mediocre Belgian summer ever, with temps staying between 18° and 24° (65-75°ish) and rain every other day.
Can't really complain (it's a bit wet but nothing or of the ordinary), just weird how this summer is so extreme all over the planet except for here.

This isn’t even the worst summer I’ve lived here though here in Texas. About 10 years ago we had a summer with no rain and over 100 days straight of 100°f and higher. And back when I was a kid, 40-45 years ago, we had a summer so hot that I actually burned my hand just trying to open a car door., and no A/C in the car. Yesterday was our first day in the weeks or so that the temperature didn’t hit 100°f. 95° felt downright pleasant.

This isn’t even the worst summer I’ve lived here though here in Texas. About 10 years ago we had a summer with no rain and over 100 days straight of 100°f and higher. And back when I was a kid, 40-45 years ago, we had a summer so hot that I actually burned my hand just trying to open a car door., and no A/C in the car. Yesterday was our first day in the weeks or so that the temperature didn’t hit 100°f. 95° felt downright pleasant.
On the flip side, it's supposed to be 106F (41.1C) today according to Alexa this morning.

North is on fire again. Tens of thousands displaced from the NWT.

Still with my aunt and now sharing a tiny space with my dad (YAY!) and two strangers who are sons of my aunts friend.

Fucking sucks complete ass.

figmentPez

Staff member
Hurricane Hilary is going to bring rain to some of the driest areas in the US soon.

2-3+ years of rain over the course of 2-3 days in some areas.

Doesn't that technically make it, like, a cyclone? Or some other such word?
Typhoon is the word you’re looking for. All hurricanes, typhoons, and tornadoes are cyclones. Even originating in the Pacific, in this part of the world they’re still called hurricanes. I’d have to look to be certain, I think the naming of Typhoons is the western side of the international date line. I could certainly be wrong though.

Added: your map has it fairly well laid out.

Dave

Staff member
There are work/rest cycles built in based on temp. Some things we can't get around doing, but unless we HAVE to go out into the plant to fix something, we stay in the AC in the control room. But I did have to go out a few times. It was fine.

Dave

Staff member
“If you have a job in the plant, before starting it ask whether it really needs to be done or if it can be pushed off until Friday, when the heat advisory expires. No one is to spend any time in the plant without proper hydration or without telling someone where you are going and how long you’re going to be there.”

“If you have a job in the plant, before starting it ask whether it really needs to be done or if it can be pushed off until Friday, when the heat advisory expires. No one is to spend any time in the plant without proper hydration or without telling someone where you are going and how long you’re going to be there.”
Amazon product

--Patrick

Tropical Storm Harvey is moving through south Texas. Unfortunately, not a single cloud or shower overhead for here. About 325 miles from East Texas to Corpus Christi where the storm made landfall. @Pez had a better chance to get a shower or two from the storm, but it was still around 200 miles from his location. Hopefully it will help to push the high pressure from the area, but for most of the state it didn’t do much of anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
There is an unidentified clear liquid substance falling from the sky in Austin! I got some on me! Considering seeking medical treatment.

Yeah, it's called dihydrogen monoxide. Very dangerous stuff. Accidental inhalation of it has killed thousands of people every year.

Dave

Staff member
Forget the weather! We can’t go outside now because of MURDER HORNETS*!

(*may not be, in fact, murder hornets, but instead normal hornets who seem to be inordinately aggressive.)