[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

That is so appallingly depressing. Because COAL!!! has been beaten into so many generations here, the notion of it ever going away has triggered the poo-flinging of all poo-flinging, and the comic has killed the notion that it can ever be fixed by the people still here. :(
The comic is not to blame for a pre-existing phenomenon.

Didi successfully seducing Gary
I wouldn't call what Didi did "seducing" him. She has significant trouble reaching orgasm and selfishly thought Gary could help her with that, based on his "reputation." I'm surprised the comic had him fail, considering how much time it spent building up his reputation. Probably just because it wouldn't fit (where) the plot (is going). She'll probably warm up when she finally gets therapy and realizes all her previous partners' shortcomings weren't really her fault.
Also TIL "Primary Anorgasmia."
Hah! "Hatred of Cilantro"

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member

1) Kirov Reporting!
2) All you had to do was follow the damn train!
3) FUS RO DAH
4) Thank you, Mario! But our princess is in another castle!
5) Heroes never die!
6) Wololo
7) Hey! Listen!
8) HSSSSSSSS.....
9) How are you gentlemen. All your base are belong to us.
10) ...

The former predates the latter. By a lot. :p
Right, MMORPGs introduced the idea of "grinding," but Profession Simulator 2kyy introduced the idea of paying someone (else) for the privilege of working actual honest-to-goodness (simulated) jobs for "fun."

--Patrick

Grinding has existed since Dragon Quest 1 on the NES. That is literally when it was invented. At the time in Japan (and really, still), there was a massive incentive to burn through a game as fast as you can so you can trade it in to get as much store credit as possible... this would flood the market with used games about a week after release and (as everyone knows) publishers/creators don't get a cut of any of that reselling. So what they did is introduce the concept of the artifical time sink into RPGs so people couldn't resell the games as fast, forcing the more impatient people to buy the game instead of waiting for a used copy.

This practice mostly died out by the PSX era, but it returned with MMOs with the same idea: make it slow, so people will sub longer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Grinding has existed since Dragon Quest 1 on the NES. That is literally when it was invented. At the time in Japan (and really, still), there was a massive incentive to burn through a game as fast as you can so you can trade it in to get as much store credit as possible... this would flood the market with used games about a week after release and (as everyone knows) publishers/creators don't get a cut of any of that reselling. So what they did is introduce the concept of the artifical time sink into RPGs so people couldn't resell the games as fast, forcing the more impatient people to buy the game instead of waiting for a used copy.

This practice mostly died out by the PSX era, but it returned with MMOs with the same idea: make it slow, so people will sub longer.
At least when you died in Dragon Quest, you only went back to your last save point.

If you died in a hell level on Everquest, you could lose a week's worth of Experience. And if you died somewhere where you couldn't get to your corpse, all your gear would be gone, too. And much of the "required" gear for high level characters often took 50-100 hours of camping a spawn to get. Each.

GasBandit

Staff member
The first PA in a long time to actually make me laugh out loud.

The long bearded gentleman in the 3rd panel is Patrick Rothfuss, whose Kingkiller Chronicle series of books is absolutely wonderous and yet infuriatingly GRRM-esque schedule-wise, in that the second of the supposed trilogy came out SIX YEARS ago and Rothfuss has dabbled in side projects ever since then instead of sealing the proverbial deal, and can't even hazard a guess at a release date yet.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care if Martin ever puts pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, I suppose) ever again, but I'm still Jonesing hard for Kvothe to finally get around to killing a king.

On Scary go blee-blee-blorp, Claire and Lottie are INSTANTLY regretting helping Desmond Fishman with his campaign, comic hijinx, yadda yadda yadda, I'm just glad he's just doing ONE fucking story at a time. Seriously, that Shelly/Amy flashback better be some Steven Universe type filler or I'ma be IRKED.

Zappit

Staff member
So I started mirroring Supervillainous on Tapastic - now called Tapas - and a few days later they snuck a Right of First Refusal clause into their ToS. It caused a shitstorm and a half, with numerous creators, including popular ones, to simply delete everything on Tapas and leave the site. I was tempted, too, though I,ve gathered about a hundred subscribers within the first two months.

Anyhoo - shitstorm online, tweet storms aplenty, and Tapas removed the offending RoFR clause. It was pretty shitty and I'm glad it's gone, but during this I found out Tapas used to be Comic Panda, which had some serious problems of its own, including art theft.

So even though things are good again, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. I never really ever plan on doing anything to monetize my comic, but still, I want to make damn sure I have all the rights to it.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I started mirroring Supervillainous on Tapastic - now called Tapas - and a few days later they snuck a Right of First Refusal clause into their ToS. It caused a shitstorm and a half, with numerous creators, including popular ones, to simply delete everything on Tapas and leave the site. I was tempted, too, though I,ve gathered about a hundred subscribers within the first two months.

Anyhoo - shitstorm online, tweet storms aplenty, and Tapas removed the offending RoFR clause. It was pretty shitty and I'm glad it's gone, but during this I found out Tapas used to be Comic Panda, which had some serious problems of its own, including art theft.

So even though things are good again, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. I never really ever plan on doing anything to monetize my comic, but still, I want to make damn sure I have all the rights to it.
I can tell you right now, I hate Tapastic's layout. It irritates me to no end. There are a few comics I wanted to read but don't, simply because they're only available on Tapastic, or, I guess, Tapas, now. Usually, I saw someone post one of their comics on Imgur or something, and then went to check it out, saw they were only on Tapas and lost all interest because of THAT DAMN FLOATY, NEVER-COMPLETELY-LOADED, IRRITATING AS HELL TO NAVIGATE LAYOUT.

So, I mean, if it's getting you more eyeballs, then great... but I sure hope you never stop at spiderforest (or if you do, you get somewhere else with a similarly un-scriptidynamihipsterbullshit layout).

Zappit

Staff member
I can tell you right now, I hate Tapastic's layout. It irritates me to no end. There are a few comics I wanted to read but don't, simply because they're only available on Tapastic, or, I guess, Tapas, now. Usually, I saw someone post one of their comics on Imgur or something, and then went to check it out, saw they were only on Tapas and lost all interest because of THAT DAMN FLOATY, NEVER-COMPLETELY-LOADED, IRRITATING AS HELL TO NAVIGATE LAYOUT.

So, I mean, if it's getting you more eyeballs, then great... but I sure hope you never stop at spiderforest (or if you do, you get somewhere else with a similarly un-scriptidynamihipsterbullshit layout).
I am a member of Spiderforest. That's where my comic is hosted. :D

And I like the site rebuild we did last year. What we had before was pretty shitty. It does look good on mobile. I haven't really seen it on PC.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am a member of Spiderforest. That's where my comic is hosted. :D

And I like the site rebuild we did last year. What we had before was pretty shitty. It does look good on mobile. I haven't really seen it on PC.
It looks good. Very clean and intuitive, with no burdensome scripty-slidy "I know better than you what should be on your screen and where" bullshit.

Just "Here's the comic. Here are controls to go to first/previous/next/latest. Up here's a menu bar, with a link to the archive where you can go to a specific comic. And down here are the comments."

Frankly, I think you could be forgiven for some adspace on the sidebar. I mean, Spiderforest already has ads there for other comics, so one or two more to subsidize your hobby wouldn't hurt at all.

Dumbing of Age

Welp, this will make... what, two attempted murders within a month (story time)? Rape Guy is literally the DUMBEST motherfucker in the comic.

Dumbing of Age

Welp, this will make... what, two attempted murders within a month (story time)? Rape Guy is literally the DUMBEST motherfucker in the comic.
Yup. His plan was...what, follow Dorothy to Joyce kill them & carve something into Joyce's face? Even if he does that & gets away without anyone seeing him basic investigation by the cops tell them that Dorothy recently accused someone of trying to rape a friend of hers on social media - even if Joyce isn't named anywhere in that (I don't think she was but can't recall for sure) it's not like Joyce's friends don't know she was the victim. So Rape Guy goes from that guy who was called a rapist online but who isn't being investigated by the cops to that guy who was called a rapist online & is currently being investigated by the cops over a double murder. Real smart move there, genius.