[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

GasBandit

Staff member
I only have the one backup battery :p

But I do have a charger at work, a charger in the car, 2 chargers at home, and a travel charger in my bag at all times....

Hey remember when I said I wouldn't bitch a bout Scarygorecurringjoke? CHANGED MY MIND-I must express my feelings somewhere.

The final stretch continues to have adult characters I do not aspire to be in any way shape or form. I mean for fuck's sake, did the writer HAVE to make Shelley sperm-jack Tim? Or treat it primarily as a joke? And according to a previous storyline she dumps him because he blew up his life, DESPITE the fact said sperm-jacking still took place, so who the fuck is she to judge ANYONE?! Just...fucking weird.

Maybe I'm just bitter because the world of Tackleford is coming to a close and I felt the Bad Machinery kids could still do fun mystery shit. Its like you look at an old Silver Age comic, see a character they never followed up on, and wander "Why wasn't Katmos in any other comics?" That's probably what I'm gonna be like when this series ends.

Hey remember when I said I wouldn't bitch a bout Scarygorecurringjoke? CHANGED MY MIND-I must express my feelings somewhere.

The final stretch continues to have adult characters I do not aspire to be in any way shape or form. I mean for fuck's sake, did the writer HAVE to make Shelley sperm-jack Tim? Or treat it primarily as a joke? And according to a previous storyline she dumps him because he blew up his life, DESPITE the fact said sperm-jacking still took place, so who the fuck is she to judge ANYONE?! Just...fucking weird.

Maybe I'm just bitter because the world of Tackleford is coming to a close and I felt the Bad Machinery kids could still do fun mystery shit. Its like you look at an old Silver Age comic, see a character they never followed up on, and wander "Why wasn't Katmos in any other comics?" That's probably what I'm gonna be like when this series ends.
This week/2 weeks does feel like a mass character assassination. I'm not sure why he's trying to get us to dislike everyone in the old cast.

Hell, latest strip it turns out Mrs.Lord's husband has a string of affairs! Even side-characters of side-characters aren't safe!

Next thing you know the the prickifying will make a Bizarro effect happen in Tessa and Rachel coming back as freaking saints! Jesus Rachel became a bitch in the old comic, almost got Shelley killed for NO reason.

Jesus Christ, Shauna your supposed to be SMART! Who the fuck taught these girls tact? I get it, its a comedy, but John Allison and David Willis can write the most unrealistically tactless characters, characters you don 't believe would be so tolerated.

CURSE THESE TACKLEFORDIANS-they drive me to drink! Dammit, I'm siding with Scout in wanting to destroy Shelley Winters kinda-NOTHING SHE'S DONE IS OKAY YET ITS PLAYED OFF AS A JOKE!

1990-something

Well SOMEONE didn't get that newspaper deal. Ain't saying its horrible, its okay as far as sitcomics go, but the adult humor can be such a pointless affectation at times. Kind-of the webcomic equivalent of indie movies that think quirky characters and swearing will mask the fact that their plot is formulaic as all hell.

Edit: Forget I said it ain't horrible, its...pretty bad, primarily because while there's good art to it, the man can't word balloon to save his life. He'll put a damn paragraph of dialogue crammed into ONE comic panel, most of the time said dialogue could be easily condensed!

Also the token black guy has only appeared in four comics, one where he didn't speak, two where he was involved in a cheerleader affair(GROAN), and one where he was complaining about the white appropriation of black culture. Dude only exists to be the angry black guy, that ain't good.

Last edited:
No Shelley, it WASN'T more complicated, you had unprotected sex with a man to have a child and didn't tell him your plan. Oh god....this is why she REALLY dumps Tim isn't it? The shame of her horrible choices? Please don't be that...I...I just hate how this ending is going so far. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH BRIT-TEEN MYSTERIES?!

I get that the story and art are requiring more of the artist and the reasons behind stopping daily comics, but it's really annoying that there's no schedule at sluggy freelance, and the comics will appear randomly.

I'm moving it from my check-daily list to my check-thrice-weekly list, and I hope the unusual schedule is at least productive enough that the story progresses significantly each week, but if he gets down to two updates a week or less I'll probably delete the link.

All this, of course, makes me appreciate artists like Howard Taylor of schlock mercenary all the more...

I get that the story and art are requiring more of the artist and the reasons behind stopping daily comics, but it's really annoying that there's no schedule at sluggy freelance, and the comics will appear randomly.

I'm moving it from my check-daily list to my check-thrice-weekly list, and I hope the unusual schedule is at least productive enough that the story progresses significantly each week, but if he gets down to two updates a week or less I'll probably delete the link.

All this, of course, makes me appreciate artists like Howard Taylor of schlock mercenary all the more...
Aaigh! Pete? WHAT DID YOU DO?
My personal complaint is that there now seems to be no way to navigate the comic stream without slogging through the archives. Normally, when I tune in and find out I missed an update, I can usually just hit some kind of "go back one comic" button to see the previous comic. Nope. Unless it's hidden in some nonintuitive way, I have to either guess at the URL or else go to the archive page and slog through the entire chapter.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Is...is that not something you'd call the cops on? I would. Two people fighting, causing a disturbance and what-not, possible murder-creation.
If it was like in a restaurant or something maybe... but a couple guys punching each other in their own back yard? I probably wouldn't, unless it got SUPER out of hand. Like, a weapon got pulled.

Well I mean its like walking distance from Tim's place of work, so its PROBABLY a residential area neither of them own? Either way, Lottie and Mildred filming it with glee creeps me out.

You know I didn't mind Ashley when she was introduced in EGS but this constant shilling of her character is really starting to turn me off her. Can we get please get back to the wacky hijinks involving gender-bending?

You know I didn't mind Ashley when she was introduced in EGS but this constant shilling of her character is really starting to turn me off her. Can we get please get back to the wacky hijinks involving gender-bending?
:confused: Uhh...
(I like Ashley. I share her ethics dilemmata)

--Patrick

Ashley herself isn't the problem. If she was treated like any other character I would like her. It's the way Dan feels the need to semi-regularly have a comic whose only real purpose is "look how great Ashley is " that bugs me.

Ashley herself isn't the problem. If she was treated like any other character I would like her. It's the way Dan feels the need to semi-regularly have a comic whose only real purpose is "look how great Ashley is " that bugs me.
Huh. If anyone was being shilled, I would've guessed Sarah. Friends with an immortal, etc. Though now Susan is, too...hmm.

--Patrick

Tim: We've been friends with benefits for 20 years.

...REALLY?! Dear god I knew he and Riley had shit chemistry to begin with but I didn't know it was THAT bad!