Video Game News and Miscellany

There was a Goldeneye remake ...for the Wii.

Aside from the obvious games I would say Mishief Makers for action plattformers, Wave Race, F-Zero X and maybe Snowboard Kids for (Fun)Sport games. Pokemon Snap to make the fans happy. Pokemon Stadium wouldn't make sense since you can't transfer any data from a Pokemon game.
Maybe they should get around to a Pokemon Snap sequel after all these years and all these consoles they've made that were better suited for it. Their excuse has been "we didn't make the original; we outsourced it." Okaaaaay, and? Because Nintendo never makes anything? Thereve been hundreds of Pokemon added since the original Snap. Gen 2 wasn't even a thing then.

Stupid, stupid Nintendo.

Last edited:
I will add Turok II and Clayfighter 63 1/3 to the list, but yeah, we’re probably going to get Mario 64 and Doom, instead.

I wonder if all the Rambus litigation will have any effect on any sort of N64 reboot?

—Patrick

They've had 3rd-party games on the other "classic" consoles. Final Fantasy for one example. I'll admit the MS link is a complication, but still completely possible.
Yeah, I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Any other 3rd party wouldn't matter, but it's Microsoft, a direct competitor.

Yeah, I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Any other 3rd party wouldn't matter, but it's Microsoft, a direct competitor.
Yeah, but let's be honest, they haven't really been competing lately.

Maybe crackdown 3 will be good if it ever comes out.

Based on leaks of undetermined veracity a little while back, it may be Fallout 3 for the Switch. Other possibilities such as Fallout Online, Fallout 3/New Vegas remastered, and Fallout Shelter 2 have also been bruited about.

Based on leaks of undetermined veracity a little while back, it may be Fallout 3 for the Switch. Other possibilities such as Fallout Online, Fallout 3/New Vegas remastered, and Fallout Shelter 2 have also been bruited about.
I can buy Fallout 3/NV remastered, even Fallout Shelter 2 (though I'd asked WHY? for Fallout Shelter 2). Fallout Online? That wasn't even in closed alpha when all the work on it had to be deleted as part of the Interplay Rights deal. Unless Zenimax bought ANOTHER mmo team other than the one they bought for ESO, I don't see it.

Other option: Fallout movie or TV show on Netflix. People fucking loved Nuka Break, so it's clear there is some meat there.

It'll just be a port of Skyrim onto your pipboy in Fallout 4.
I'd actually be okay with this. After getting bored of killing raiders and feral ghouls, gathering plants and other crafting ingredients, and pursuing endless radiant quests in the Commonwealth, I can take a break by killing bandits and draugr, gathering plants and other crafting ingredients, and pursuing endless radiant quests in Skyrim.

Pokemon for Switch

It's everything I wanted a Wii Pokemon game to be. There's no way I could use that Pokeball controller without actually chucking it at the TV one day.

Some more info:

The trailer shows a date, 21 October, 2102. In other words, assuming that's the date the game takes place, this game is set far before all the other Fallout games to date.
Vault 76 was a control vault, designed to open 20 years after a nuclear war. Since the war took place in 2077, that would set this game just a few years after the vault reopened.
There is rampant speculation that this is an online multiplayer game of some sort.

There are going to be so many Overwatch mashups of this.
I mean, at least three. And maybe even inspire an actual OW skin for Soldier 76.

--Patrick

Some more info:

The trailer shows a date, 21 October, 2102. In other words, assuming that's the date the game takes place, this game is set far before all the other Fallout games to date.
Vault 76 was a control vault, designed to open 20 years after a nuclear war. Since the war took place in 2077, that would set this game just a few years after the vault reopened.
There is rampant speculation that this is an online multiplayer game of some sort.
Yeah, I'm hearing a lot of Destiny-like talk about this. Really, if that's all it is then I'll pass. Destiny 2 is snore fest.

Why unveil this now? Unless they have something bigger for E3.

Don't forget to build it with a bit extra oomph for mods.
It'll be built for current gen consoles unless it's more than 4 years away, so most current rigs should be fine. Unless of course they don't optimize the PC version and fuck up the port, which is very likely

The new shopping carts in Fortnite are hilarious.
They can even survive a 60m drop!

Also, this:
PUBG Corp. Sues Epic Games for Copyright Infringement
While “PUBG” popularized the current battle royale genre first, it now finds itself in “Fortnite’s” considerably larger shadow. “PUBG” has reportedly sold over 30 million copies since launch, but its player base on PC is dropping, according to IGN. Meanwhile, “Fortnite” is currently the largest free-to-play console game of all time, and it’s dominating PC and mobile as well. It made five times “PUBG Mobile’s” first week revenue on iOS, according to market intelligence firm Sensor Tower. It’s also currently the most-watched game on Twitch and YouTube.
--Patrick

Don't forget to build it with a bit extra oomph for mods.
Y'know, I'm actually feeling a bit of dread about mods. If FO76 really is an online multiplayer game, how would mods work? Would Bethesda reduce or remove support for mods? Furthermore, the Creation Club and Bethesda's general disregard for F4SE appears to indicate that Bethesda are moving away from a fan-based modding scene, and want greater control over mods and add-ons.

If FO76 doesn't have mod support that's as vigorous as its predecessors, my willingness to play it will go down by approximately 76%.

Jeff Vogel has launched his first Kickstarter. If you miss (or still enjoy) isometric Windows/Mac RPGs that sacrifice graphics in favor of story, I would heartily recommend checking his stuff out. The Geneforge 5-game series has one of my favorite all-time videogame settings (I'm currently replaying it, 2/3rds through 1 due to lack of time). His Avernum games are great if you enjoy massive delves. He makes demos available for all his games, and they're not 5-minute ones either, so I'd heartily recommend checking them out here.

I'll definitely back somewhere between $20 and $75 (I did pirate his stuff in college, though I now own it legally). Would love to be able to afford the cameo/design tiers, but ouch. Note that the graphics in use are placeholders, see Avadon's graphics for a better idea of what a recent finished product has looked like.