Video Game News and Miscellany

I'd just like to note that this is all from a completely unsubstantiated leak, so take it with a massive grain of salt.

Having said that, though, it does sound very plausible that they're going to disallow free mods to try to funnel players into the Creation Club.

And yes, if there's no free modding then I simply won't play Fallout 76.

I'd just like to note that this is all from a completely unsubstantiated leak, so take it with a massive grain of salt.

Having said that, though, it does sound very plausible that they're going to disallow free mods to try to funnel players into the Creation Club.

They're following the AAA playbook. "How can we get worse?"

I'm in the same boat. All ESO games (and the Fallouts now) need mods IMO to be playable. Or ALL their expansions, since that'll fix a good number of the problems originally too, but there will still be some major annoyances that mods could fix, but if you don't have them, you're screwed.

Hell, 90% of what Skyrim and FO4 needed was a CART. Just so you could move your crap around. That alone would have made "vanilla" of those games MUCH more playable. Instead I go with weightless "stuff" of various types just so it's manageable.

I'm in the same boat. All ESO games (and the Fallouts now) need mods IMO to be playable. Or ALL their expansions, since that'll fix a good number of the problems originally too, but there will still be some major annoyances that mods could fix, but if you don't have them, you're screwed.

Hell, 90% of what Skyrim and FO4 needed was a CART. Just so you could move your crap around. That alone would have made "vanilla" of those games MUCH more playable. Instead I go with weightless "stuff" of various types just so it's manageable.
I never understood why you couldn't just put saddlebags on your horse.

I'm way into Fallout 4, and haven't gone near the mods for fear of breaking every damned thing. This is particularly ironic because I hacked the hell out of Fallout and Fallout 2. Still, I feel like I'd hate to break the game without knowing it.

Anyone remember Super Gem Fighter? Because Nicalis is making a puzzle fighting game, and its crossover cast is a bit surprising.
Modern marketing mentality strategem: Nostalgia
-Find nostalgic thing(s)
-Create new catchy/kitschy/spectacular thing
-Insert as many references to nostalgic things as possible
-Watch as sales of <nostalgic thing> rise in tandem with new thing

Examples: GotG series (70’s music), The entire current Star Wars lineup (Star Wars nothing but Star Waaaars...), Nintendo/Atari/Sega mini retro console games, etc.

—Patrick

OKay so...

- Curly Brace and Quote
- Isaac
- Don't know the two women in the spread, but is that Lameza from La Mulana?
- Astroboy and Dr. Blackjack
- Bunch of others I don't know.

I guess this is where we find out that the indie scene is way, way bigger in Japan than we thought. I know Curly Brace is also showing up in Blade Strangers by the same company, alongside Quote, Isaac, Gunvolt from the self-same series, and Shovel Knight.

Compare this with Nintendo's strict quality assurance policies. Sure, it means a lot less games on their system by comparison, but they're (usually) guaranteed to be quality games. Not blatant asset flips sold cheap to profit off Steam card sales.

GasBandit

Staff member
Compare this with Nintendo's strict quality assurance policies. Sure, it means a lot less games on their system by comparison, but they're (usually) guaranteed to be quality games. Not blatant asset flips sold cheap to profit off Steam card sales.
Steam trading cards are fucking cancer. They ought to just be discontinued.

Does anyone else even look at the Steam store page anymore? It used to be a daily ritual for me, seeing what the sale of the day was, checking on new releases, etc. Now I don't ever bother. I just look up games I hear about elsewhere.
I don't even really do that anymore. I get most of my steam game keys from non-steam sources, and the only time I look at a steam price/page is through aggregation sites like IsThereAnyDeal.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the one hand, Steam's policy will flood its market with garbage asset flips, but on the other, wtf is itch.io? Never heard of it before that post. Had to google. Went and looked. It's all low res indie retrocades.

On the one hand, Steam's policy will flood its market with garbage asset flips, but on the other, wtf is itch.io? Never heard of it before that post. Had to google. Went and looked. It's all low res indie retrocades.
A lot of indie games that got smashed in the crush of barely content on Steam have found success on Itch.io.

GasBandit

Staff member
A lot of indie games that got smashed in the crush of barely content on Steam have found success on Itch.io.
Well, more power to them, then. I'm torn, myself... I wish there was more competition for steam so it wouldn't be so shitty, but on the other hand, I'll be damned if I'm installing yet another must-run always-on phone-home DMCA-enforcing marketplace application. That's why I like GOG.com. I don't have to run GOG Galaxy to play the games I buy from them.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm glad our fears about Microsoft being in control of it turned out to largely be for naught.
Eh, I never expected things to go to shit immediately. Microsoft plays a long game, and they stood to gain a lot more keeping the status quo for at least a little while. I'm still waiting to see what they do once they get all the versions synced up and running the same code base.

Eh, I never expected things to go to shit immediately. Microsoft plays a long game, and they stood to gain a lot more keeping the status quo for at least a little while. I'm still waiting to see what they do once they get all the versions synced up and running the same code base.
Except for the original (now called Java Edition, and that'll never sync up) that has already happened. That's why Play Together works from Switch, Win10, phone, and others. At least that's my understanding.

figmentPez

Staff member
Then Java Edition and PlayStation refusing crossplay are the only things keeping Herobrine from breaking through into the real world.