Video Game News and Miscellany

Do you enjoy playing pinball?
Do you enjoy it so much that you downloaded Pinball Arcade on Steam, iOS, or whatever so you could continue to enjoy all those classic titles without having to spend thousands on actual tables and the square footage (meter-age?) necessary to house them all?

...well, you'd better hurry up. The people who own the rights to 61 of their titles have declined to allow PA to renew their license to these titles:

From the article on Ars Technica:
Here's a complete list of the games that will no longer be for sale:
  • The Addams Family ***
  • Attack from Mars
  • Banzai Run
  • Black Knight *
  • Black Knight 2000 **
  • Black Rose
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Cactus Canyon
  • Centaur
  • The Champion Pub
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • Cyclone
  • Diner
  • Doctor Who
  • Dr. Dude & HIs Excellent Ray
  • Earthshaker **
  • Eight Ball Deluxe *
  • Elvira and the Party Monsters
  • F-14 Tomcat *
  • Fathom
  • Fireball
  • Firepower
  • Firepower II
  • Fish Tales
  • Fun House *
  • The Getaway: High Speed 2
  • Gorgar
  • High Speed *
  • Hurricane
  • Indianapolis 500
  • Jack Bot
  • Judge Dredd
  • Junk Yard
  • The Machine: Bride of Pin•Bot
  • Medieval Madness
  • Monster Bash
  • No Fear: Dangerous Sports
  • No Good Gofers
  • Paragon
  • The Party Zone
  • PIN•BOT *
  • Red and Ted's Road Show
  • Safe Cracker
  • Scared Stiff
  • Sorcerer
  • Space Shuttle
  • Spanish Eyes
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation *
  • Swords Of Fury
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights
  • Taxi *
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day *
  • Theatre of Magic
  • Twilight Zone
  • White Water **
  • Whirlwind
  • WHO Dunnit
  • Wild Card
  • World Champion Soccer
  • Xenon *
(Starred titles are the ones that I would personally search for in a venue)
Git 'em while the gettin's good!

--Patrick

Last edited:
Glad I own every season of Pinball Arcade already. Having to drop that much money at once if you wanted them all now would buy you a PS4.

Yes, but you didn't star it (as one of your recommended ones). Or did I misinterpret what that exactly means?

I know I sure as hell haven't seen one in close to a decade.
Not “recommended” so much as “favorited” but I get what you’re saying. I edited my comment to clarify. I don’t remember seeing TZ in any of the arcades/bowing alleys/malls/etc that I frequented, otherwise it might’ve earned that star..

—Patrick

Last edited:
Gaming news is making a big deal of Walmart allegedly leaking Bethesda's game announcements.

But none of this stuff is Elder Scrolls VI, so what's the fuss?

The Bloodstained 8-bit throwback game coming out this month as a bonus to the actual Bloodstained coming later looks fucking awesome. Like a perfect homage to Castlevania 3, one of my childhood favourite games. Man, I do not regret backing this game so far. Igarashi, you are no Keiji Inafune so far.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why, Bethesda.

Nobody wants this, Bethesda.

Where's TES6, Bethesda.

Don't fuck that up, Bethesda.

And don't try to monetize mods, either. Bethesda.

Why, Bethesda.

Nobody wants this, Bethesda.

Where's TES6, Bethesda.

Don't fuck that up, Bethesda.

And don't try to monetize mods, either. Bethesda.
Bethesda isn't doing Rage 2 in-house, it's being done by Avalanche Studios. You might remember them from the Just Cause series and the surprisingly good Mad Max game a few years back. id Software is co-developing, so it's going to have fantastic gameplay. This isn't going to have any effect on Bethesda's main series. I actually think Rage 2 looks fun, so I might give it a try.

I think Bethesda's learned their lesson regarding mods; the paid mod workshop for Fallout 4 is mostly full of copies of the same thing that they explicitly left out to monetize and they've essentially had to resort to giving them away to get people to even download them. The free stuff on the workshop is a shadow of the stuff at Nexus because PC players don't like the interface. It's not worth their time investment to try and monetize it again; people are already supporting the mod projects they like through Patreon and Bethesda ain't getting a fucking cut of that ever. The boat has sailed.

As for TES6... last I heard, they aren't even talking to family about it right now. That suggests it's ether still very early in development or it's going to be radically different than previous entries. It's probably still 2-3 years out, but I could be wrong... they might have a surprise trailer come e3. I'm hoping for Rivenspire and a horror atmosphere myself, but I could see them doing Elsweyr or even Hammerfell again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bethesda isn't doing Rage 2 in-house, it's being done by Avalanche Studios. You might remember them from the Just Cause series and the surprisingly good Mad Max game a few years back. id Software is co-developing, so it's going to have fantastic gameplay. This isn't going to have any effect on Bethesda's main series. I actually think Rage 2 looks fun, so I might give it a try.

I think Bethesda's learned their lesson regarding mods; the paid mod workshop for Fallout 4 is mostly full of copies of the same thing that they explicitly left out to monetize and they've essentially had to resort to giving them away to get people to even download them. The free stuff on the workshop is a shadow of the stuff at Nexus because PC players don't like the interface. It's not worth their time investment to try and monetize it again; people are already supporting the mod projects they like through Patreon and Bethesda ain't getting a fucking cut of that ever. The boat has sailed.

As for TES6... last I heard, they aren't even talking to family about it right now. That suggests it's ether still very early in development or it's going to be radically different than previous entries. It's probably still 2-3 years out, but I could be wrong... they might have a surprise trailer come e3. I'm hoping for Rivenspire and a horror atmosphere myself, but I could see them doing Elsweyr or even Hammerfell again.
It better have jump-in/jump-out co-op multiplayer. They can't possibly be so blind as to not see the RAGING DEMAND for that.

It better have jump-in/jump-out co-op multiplayer. They can't possibly be so blind as to not see the RAGING DEMAND for that.
They're repeatedly, frustratingly, endlessly gone on record about how the TES games are designed around single-player PvE.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The Steam Link Beta for Android is in the Play store now. Testing it out now.

EDIT: It's crash-tastic! I couldn't get Arkham Knight to make it past the menus without crashing. The app itself has crashed a few times just navigating the menus in Steam. I managed to get Saints Row 3 to stream, but the app crashed after just a few minutes in-game, though the game kept running on my desktop.

Also, the mapping for my 8-Bitdo controller is really messed up, and I can't figure out how to reconfigure it. I'll have to try some of it's other modes, see if any of those work. I'm not willing to put the BLE update on my Steam Controller yet, and risk breaking it for my desktop.

That said, while I did have Saints Row 3 running, it looked good and was pretty responsive... mostly. It did freeze up for about 5 seconds at a time every minute or so. I'm in an apartment and I'm competing with a LOT of other wireless networks, though. I wonder if things would be better in the wee hours of the night.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
The Steam Link Beta for Android is in the Play store now. Testing it out now.

EDIT: It's crash-tastic! I couldn't get Arkham Knight to make it past the menus without crashing. The app itself has crashed a few times just navigating the menus in Steam. I managed to get Saints Row 3 to stream, but the app crashed after just a few minutes in-game, though the game kept running on my desktop.

Also, the mapping for my 8-Bitdo controller is really messed up, and I can't figure out how to reconfigure it. I'll have to try some of it's other modes, see if any of those work. I'm not willing to put the BLE update on my Steam Controller yet, and risk breaking it for my desktop.

That said, while I did have Saints Row 3 running, it looked good and was pretty responsive... mostly. It did freeze up for about 5 seconds at a time every minute or so. I'm in an apartment and I'm competing with a LOT of other wireless networks, though. I wonder if things would be better in the wee hours of the night.
They've already had an update to the app. Seems to have increased stability for me. I was able to get Akrham Knight running, and while it still had the same period freezing issues due to network troubles, it worked pretty damn well aside from that. I found that if I connect my 8-Bitdo controller as X-input instead of the default D-input, that Steam will correctly map the buttons.

There's really no point in this for me, since I have no reason to play on my phone within my own apartment, but it's fun to play with. Though, if I had a clip to mount my phone on a gamepad, I could play while soaking in a hot bath... If I trusted the clip to not fail and dump my phone in the water.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's really no point in this for me, since I have no reason to play on my phone within my own apartment, but it's fun to play with.
Yeah, really. Maybe they could make it like Remotr, where it works even if you're away from home. That might be more handy.

Of course, you'd need, like, 10mbit upstream, and good latency... but I've gotten it to work!

They've already had an update to the app. Seems to have increased stability for me. I was able to get Akrham Knight running, and while it still had the same period freezing issues due to network troubles, it worked pretty damn well aside from that. I found that if I connect my 8-Bitdo controller as X-input instead of the default D-input, that Steam will correctly map the buttons.

There's really no point in this for me, since I have no reason to play on my phone within my own apartment, but it's fun to play with. Though, if I had a clip to mount my phone on a gamepad, I could play while soaking in a hot bath... If I trusted the clip to not fail and dump my phone in the water.
My app can't even figure out that there's a computer in my network running steam, even while I sit right next to said computer running Steam.

figmentPez

Staff member
Valve appears to be cracking down on sexual content in some Steam games

Valve appears to be cracking down on sexual content in Steam games, with three separate developers claiming that they've been told their games will be taken off the platform if they don't remove some of their most explicit content.
The targets seem to be anything with an anime style. Visual novels, HuniePop, and such. No reports of games like the Witcher getting threats of removal for having boobs.

They only seem to be going after visual novels. Leaving crap like Blood and Boobs: The Asset Flippening and garbo like that alone.