Vermintide

GasBandit

Staff member
This game is really fun, but I have had no luck pugging it tonight. Haven't cleared a single map.

I'm going to have to find some people to play with.
We'll have to get you in with us at some point. We had... mostly... good luck. Well, we cleared more than we wiped.

Anyway, I'm rendering the first video now.

Necronic

Staff member
That's one of the things I REALLY hate about PUGs. They always try to run both Grims on every map and it's like, dude, no, that's not going to happen. Stop.

Necronic

Staff member
For future reference its a pretty bad idea to split up at the final spot. There's a corner area down by the bottom of the stairs that works pretty well. Didn't realize you guys were playing normal difficulty until the end, well done on that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ha, the top upvoted non-sticky post in the vermintide subreddit is complaining about how toxic the player community is.

I posted the above video there, it got downvoted to oblivion immediately.

No wonder RavenPoe had such a bad time pugging last night.

Well, considering what I've heard about the L4D community, I'm not surprised.

I have to find time to play with my husband though, because I totally felt like I ditched him last night. ;) He refuses to try to pug, and the bots are beyond dumb.

Ha, the top upvoted non-sticky post in the vermintide subreddit is complaining about how toxic the player community is.

Why...why would they downvote.

It's really just the same old argument from L4D2: Why should I have to put up with randos that don't know how to play? They are right.

Also, apparently we're supposed to AVOID the Stormvermin patrols (the 6+ Commanders).

GasBandit

Staff member
Why...why would they downvote.
People suck. What can ya do.[DOUBLEPOST=1445529896,1445529861][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's really just the same old argument from L4D2: Why should I have to put up with randos that don't know how to play? They are right.

Also, apparently we're supposed to AVOID the Stormvermin patrols (the 6+ Commanders).
... Avoid the stormvermin?? But we're so good at killing them!

GasBandit

Staff member
Hah, so apparently there's one room in Wizard's Tower that actually appears different to every player depending on their character. I just thought it was a room full of gold treasure as I was playing the dwarf, but apparently to the Elf it looks like a jungle, to the Bright Wizard it looks like a city in flames, to the soldier it looks like the city streets but clean and in good repair, and to the witch hunter it looks like a market plaza with heretics being tortured in the middle.

Hah, so apparently there's one room in Wizard's Tower that actually appears different to every player depending on their character. I just thought it was a room full of gold treasure as I was playing the dwarf, but apparently to the Elf it looks like a jungle, to the Bright Wizard it looks like a city in flames, to the soldier it looks like the city streets but clean and in good repair, and to the witch hunter it looks like a market plaza with heretics being tortured in the middle.
It's the first "event" in the Tower... where someone needs to break the ropes holding the door closed. I actually commented on how the room changed when I switched from the Soldier to Saltpyre, but I didn't realize the layout was the same.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's the first "event" in the Tower... where someone needs to break the ropes holding the door closed. I actually commented on how the room changed when I switched from the Soldier to Saltpyre, but I didn't realize the layout was the same.
I remember you talking about that, but I thought you meant the actual layout had changed, and I didn't remember it enough from the previous playthrough to say one way or the other. Was still a huge pile of gold stuff to me, either way ;)

Necronic

Staff member
huh, that's pretty cool. No surprise about the vermintide community though, the game is simply too hard even on easy. They need to knock down the difficulty a bit, just on easy, so theres a low conflict place to go.

huh, that's pretty cool. No surprise about the vermintide community though, the game is simply too hard even on easy. They need to knock down the difficulty a bit, just on easy, so theres a low conflict place to go.
I was playing on Normal a couple of days ago and rocking pretty hard when I got grouped with a rando group of people who knew how to stick together. The game doesn't seem that hard when you have people willing to, you know, not all go out on their own. But then the servers went kaput and I haven't been able to get a good game since.

So I was thinking about the end of The Wizard Tower... I wonder if it would be better to take the high ground on that square raised platform and then pick off the ones that actually attack the wards as they show up.

So I was thinking about the end of The Wizard Tower... I wonder if it would be better to take the high ground on that square raised platform and then pick off the ones that actually attack the wards as they show up.
Couldn't hurt I guess.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ammo might be a factor, and it takes a while to climb back up from the lower area, I think... but we can try it.

But the BRIGHTWIZARD will never run out of ammo!

If we run out of ammo we can always switch tactics, but split up always seemed to kill some of us.

GasBandit

Staff member
But the BRIGHTWIZARD will never run out of ammo!

If we run out of ammo we can always switch tactics, but split up always seemed to kill some of us.
It'd be nice if we could get a shield/weapon combo for the soldier as well. It'd make "pairing off" a lot more survivable I think, that shield slam is ridiculous. Doesn't get kills, but lets your partner kill at leisure.

It'd be nice if we could get a shield/weapon combo for the soldier as well. It'd make "pairing off" a lot more survivable I think, that shield slam is ridiculous. Doesn't get kills, but lets your partner kill at leisure.
True, I blame Ash.

Soldiers get a Sword and Board, but that just leaves them highly susceptible Commanders and Stormvermin, as their Coachgun is pitiful against them. Also... I think I broke mine down already so I need to get another one as a drop. We might need to farm equipment.

GasBandit

Staff member
Soldiers get a Sword and Board, but that just leaves them highly susceptible Commanders and Stormvermin, as their Coachgun is pitiful against them. Also... I think I broke mine down already so I need to get another one as a drop. We might need to farm equipment.
I hear tell there's a soldier mace and board that works really well. Of course, it's all a literal roll of the dice whether you get one or not.

The video looks fun; rat monsters flopping every which way. I like the ways they managed to imitate some L4D aspects with actual units from Warhammer Fantasy.

The video looks fun; rat monsters flopping every which way. I like the ways they managed to imitate some L4D aspects with actual units from Warhammer Fantasy.
Make no mistake; the Warhammer Variants are all much worse. The Pack Rat is what you get when a hunter and a jockey make love, except a Pack Rat has enough power to do something to you. Globiers can RAPID FIRE their poison wind and will suicide into poison clouds if given the chance. Ratling Gunners are damned hard to remove once they become entrenched. Stormvermin squads are pretty damn nasty with their armor.

Everything is just hard to deal with.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, gutter runners are hunters, packmasters are smokers/jockeys, globadiers are both spitters and boomers, rat-ogres are tanks and there's a kind of new dynamic in ratling gunners and Stormvermin patrols. It still needs more L4D ideas implemented, like giving items to teammates such as potions and bombs, and right now bombs are actually kinda useless because the explosive ones don't attract the horde like pipe bombs and the incendiary ones don't burn for extended periods like molotovs. Some people would like L4D's "take a break" option as well. Also, there's no Vs mode, it's co-op only.

Also, I'd like it if you could trade weapons/items with other players when you're in the inn (staging area/mission selection).[DOUBLEPOST=1445559697,1445559576][/DOUBLEPOST]Although, I guess, now that I've learned you're supposed to AVOID stormvermin patrols, and I remember they make loud marching noises and chant cadence at the top of their squeaky voices, I guess they are more like witches from L4D.